Trek Hero PDF available

Eodin

Thinking some more about that nerve pinch, it occurs to me that not only does Spock only use it against basically stationary targets, but they usually don't fall unconscious immediately either. He grabs them, they tense up for a second or two (as if stunned for a Phase), then they drop.

How about making this attack 5d6 NND (+1), Reduced END (+1/4), Continuous (+1), Concentration throughout (1/2 DCV, -1/2), HTH attack only (-1/2), humanoids only (-1/2) for 81 Active Points and 46 Total Points.

Or 10d6 NND (+1), Reduced END (+1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4), HTH attack only (-1/2), humanoids only (-1/2), Extra Time (extra phase, -3/4) for 112 Active and 37 Total cost (although the extra time limitation doesn't quite portray the time delay as well as a continuous attack).

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vulcan Nerve Pinch

D-Man,

The only problem I would have with 3d6NND Nerve strike is that on average you get 11 STUN...it hurts but won't stun, much less knock out, an average humanoid. That also means they get to fight back, which never happened in the show. At a minimum of 5d6NND, at least they'd be stunned...that's my take anyway.

Captain Obvious,

I've added your 5d6Continuous version as Vulcan NP 1a into the manuscript, with the note as above about being stunned then eventually knocked out.

I've had little time to work on the manuscript this week, so no published updates yet. I am checking back as time permits, so if you have any suggested tweaks to the existing stuff please suggest them.

Originally posted by Captain Obvious

Thinking some more about that nerve pinch, it occurs to me that not only does Spock only use it against basically stationary targets, but they usually don't fall unconscious immediately either. He grabs them, they tense up for a second or two (as if stunned for a Phase), then they drop.

How about making this attack 5d6 NND (+1), Reduced END (+1/4), Continuous (+1), Concentration throughout (1/2 DCV, -1/2), HTH attack only (-1/2), humanoids only (-1/2) for 81 Active Points and 46 Total Points.

Or 10d6 NND (+1), Reduced END (+1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV, -1/4), HTH attack only (-1/2), humanoids only (-1/2), Extra Time (extra phase, -3/4) for 112 Active and 37 Total cost (although the extra time limitation doesn't quite portray the time delay as well as a continuous attack).

Keep in mind though that a 5d6 Continuous attack can only get you a max of 30 points of effect. The Normal Char. Max for Stun is 50, so you may want to add a 2x total modifier (+1/4 I think) to the Continuous. That would give you 60 points of Stun damage - more that enough to stun the average humanoid.

Aroooo

Next minor update

Well here's the next minor update. I added some med gadgets from TNG, did some document tweaking, and started making the Starship Tech section into a sort of Spacedock conversion how-to. (Hope you don't mind Steve !) It's not a rewrite or reiteration of Steve's material so much as 'if it's this in Spacedock it's that in Hero'. The big thing is going to be the weapons. Considering what a TNG Phaser Pistol can do, my mind boggles at what the Starship Phaser can do.

Arooo,

I'm not sure I understand about the +1/4 on Continuous...I thought as long as it was Continous they took damage each phase. If they take 5*3.5=18 STUN each phase, MOST will eventually go unconscious (though not like in the series).

There might be some legal restraints in that I don't own the ICON System, though I do own the Spacedock book itself. But the problem's not so much legal hurdles as time. I simply don't have the time to work up conversions.

--Steve Long

Saw this message from Steve in another thread. Steve, I hope you don't mind me borrowing somewhat from Spacedock...it's not the material so much as how to convert and what my translation is that I'm putting in TNGHero.

Re: Next minor update

Originally posted by Eodin

Arooo,

I'm not sure I understand about the +1/4 on Continuous...I thought as long as it was Continous they took damage each phase. If they take 5*3.5=18 STUN each phase, MOST will eventually go unconscious (though not like in the series).

Never mind :) I was thinking Cumulative, not Continuous when I wrote that.

Aroooo

Originally posted by Aroooo

Keep in mind though that a 5d6 Continuous attack can only get you a max of 30 points of effect. The Normal Char. Max for Stun is 50, so you may want to add a 2x total modifier (+1/4 I think) to the Continuous. That would give you 60 points of Stun damage - more that enough to stun the average humanoid.

This is my first crack at the nerve pinch idea so please forgive me if this approach has been examined and discarded previously. This attack doesn't seem like a normal attack, I don't have the impression that one person would be hurt any more/less based on the amount of stun they have. It acts like an NND but it's effects seem absolute and immediate (unconscious or not at all).

What if you treated this more as an entangle with the SFX that the target appears to fall unconscious. The entange could block all sense groups (to simulate the unconscious state). Other advantages like Takes No Damage, Cannot Be Escaped With Teleportation and Reduced Endurance may be appropriate. Actually, maybe you could give it Uncontrolled with an endurance reserve that was based on the target's Con or Ego or something to better represent how stronger individuals could recover (escape) faster than others.

For limitations I'm thinking things like No Range, Only Against Humanoids and maybe something like Negated by Successul First Aid or slapping/throwing water on target to simulate waking them up.

just some thoughts I had.

More starship construction stuff

I've added some stuff to the Starship construction section of TNGHero.pdf, but not as much as I need to. Also, don't go crazy when you see the phaser damages and shield forcefields. :eek: It seems way out there, but it's a first take anyway. When I'm more happy with it, I'll replicate the Starship construction stuff into the TrekHero.pdf.

I'd love to hear Steve's take on the damages, but since he's so busy doing great stuff, I'm not going to bother him (unless he feels like chiming in ;) .

dbcowboy,

I would agree that the Entangle (with modifications) might work if the effect was paralysis rather than unconsciousness. Since the target does actually go unconscious, I don't believe it's viable. Not trying to shoot you down, just my take on it.

• 2 weeks later...

More stuff added

Well folks, in TNGHero.pdf I've added some thumbnail info on a number of other races (Acamarians, Pakleds, etc.), expanded a little in SFI mission types, did the rest of the Personal Advancement package deals, and some other stuff I can't remember. So far it's up to 70,000 words, 104 pages, 2.3MB... and there's still lots more I need to fix or add. :(

And when Fantasy Hero comes out, I want to redo my "Might & Magic inspired" world and put it out there. :cool:

And I still have to work, take care of my family, get my wife to physical therapy ...no problem :rolleyes:

Enjoy, folks! Next update will likely be end of July/first of August.

• 2 weeks later...

The Defiant

Awesome work, the TREK HERO pdfs!!

In the TNG one I downloaded, it said to disregard (much of) the Defiant stats. I was just wondering if any more work has been done - or if there's a newer version to download that completes the Defiant.

I just yesterday picked up the Starships book for the Trek RPG, and it's clear the ship I'd most like to build would be the Defiant [but a smaller version].

Thanks for the brilliant work. A great beginning for guys like me, working to adapt Trek into the SH sys.

P.S. Besides SH, I do also have UV !

Nightfly,

Too much family stuff going on right now to have any updates on the Defiant. I'm hoping to have some time between now and first of August to work on updates, but right now I'm lucky to get time to scan the board. Keep your fingers crossed and stay tuned...

Oh, and if you've picked up the Decipher Games Starship book, you should also download Steve's "Spacedock" PDF. Someone posted the URL in this thread about the fourth or fifth item.

Nightfly, Nightmask,

Thanks for the kind words. Since this is a "labor of love", that helps give me a nudge when everything else is crazy.

Defiant!

Well I've got the Defiant about 95% completed. It's lacking a cost on the computer, shuttles, warhead, and SDS, but I think everything else is there. And there have been corresponding updates to the chapter on starship construction.

When Steve said he didn't have time to convert Spacedock and the ships, I knew what he was saying, but now I KNOW what he was saying...you know?

Anyway, take a look at the Defiant writeup. If you notice something I missed or overlooked that I didn't list above, post a note.

Enjoy!:D

• 1 month later...

Nothing New

ImperialOne,

Sorry to report nothing new as far as Trek Hero stuff. I want to make some more updates, but life keeps getting in the way. How goes the gaming?

When I get free enough to start making updates, is there anything in particular that y'all would like to see updated?

• 1 month later...

I'm mainly looking for updates to the TNG Hero document. :) I think that some of the text still refers to TOS uniform colors, for instance (in the package deals section). If you could give it all a look-over and purge the old TOS references copied from the other document, that would be great! Also, it would be really nice to have a list of Star Fleet's ranks and their appropriate Perk costs. :)

I like Star Trek, but I don't know quite enough about it to be able to spot things like that, and I also don't know the command structure very well.

Aside from that, I love your TNG writeup. Awesome work, Eodin. I'm very impressed. My friends and I are probably going to run a "pilot episode" of TNG Hero in a couple of weeks, and we are definitely going to use your great document as a reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update

I've added some things including ranks and perk costs, more alien race summaries, and other miscellany, but the biggest task is that I ported the whole thing into InDesign 2.0...now a 30-chapter book. Bought a copy and thought I'd give it a whirl. A lot of stuff is much cleaner than Word, but I haven't got all the imported text REformatted. So if you see some text that looks screwy, just be aware that I'm working on the rest of the cleanup.

• 2 weeks later...

Text cleanups made

I've made the text cleanups, added some more graphics in the Medical section. I'm torn between using the expanded Electronics and Systems Ops at the 2 points per group - to be compatible with Star Hero/Terran Empire - or going back to the 1 point per group that I had been using. Oh well.

I forgot to mention: Our one-shot(?) Star Trek adventure went very well. Everything seemed to be appropriate as far as characters went.

We didn't get to use the starship combat portion, though. Actually, I was curious if you have given it a run yet. Looking at the Defiant, it looked like two Defiants could never do damage to each other. I could be wrong, but it seems like the maximum attack would never cause the shields to hit their Ablative limitation at all.

I'm curious if Star Trek shields would work better as

Shields: BODY that costs END (non-persistent)

Threshold: Forcefield (which would be 1/3 or so of max BODY), max cannot go above remaining shield BODY, 0 END (since the BODY already has the Endurance cost)

Shield regeneration: Regeneration for the shield BODY

If I weren't at work, I would write this up with more detail and with more research. I'm mainly thinking about how the Spacedock shields work and trying to come up with a parallel.

What do you think?

Haven't had a chance to run any starship combat. The DEF and Ablative limitations on the shields are the items I'm most uncomfortable with -- as far as how the converted from Spacedock. If you find something that seems to work better, please let me know! I would PREFER to stay with the Ablative limitation, but I'm not locked into it.