Arcanum Hero - Victorian Fantasy

Eodin

Here's a few excerpts from my Arcanum HERO that I'm working on...in between baby feedings and honeydo projects... ;)

"Within the realms of Arcania there are a number of creatures which share with humans not only the ability to think intelligently, but also a number of similar physical features which are obvious to all. As a modern naturalist of 1878, I am unable to accept the superstitious and often conflicting tales of the genesis of these beings. These tales are also not bound out by the data gathered by my fellows in the fields of archaeology, geology, and anthropology, to name a few.

Why then, do all these thinking creatures possess the same human-like form... walking upright on two legs... have two arms, two legs, one head... have the same methods of reproduction? It is in the search for understanding that I began this journey, a journey which has brought many insights.

After many years of exhaustive searches and analyzing the data gathered by my fellows, I developed my theory of Natural and Magical Selection.

It is in my classification of the humanlike races - Humans, Gnomes, and Orcs - that I find the greatest resistance to my theories, for these theories conflict with the basic beliefs of many religions and cultures. As a man of Science, however, I cannot base my theories on wishful thinking and eons-old tales, but must base them on facts and evidence.

I must then categorically state that all the Small, Median, and Large races are descended directly from humans, through a process of Natural or Magical Selection. The evidence which has been gathered through Paleontology and Forensic Alchemy leave no doubt as to this fact."

---- Charles D. Arwinn, Professor of Natural Sciences, 1878

Dwarves

Of all the Small Races, the Dwarves are the indisputable paragon. Larger and more formidable than their smaller cousins, they also live longer. The natural lifespan of a dwarf is nearly 800 years. Dwarves range in height from 30" [2’6"] to an extreme of 50" [4’2"], and they can weigh up to 900 stone [90 pounds or 40 kg], all of it muscle.

Dwarves are prey to few diseases, having a constitution capable of bearing the extremes of weather and dietary deficiencies far better than virtually any other race. They are a highly intelligent and civilized people, possessing a refined artistic sensibility. They also possess highly acute senses of taste, smell, and hearing — senses possessed by all of the Small Races.

Our experiments with dwarven tissue reveal very little magical residue, no more or less than that of human tissue. Dwarven fossils have also been found very deep in the fossil record of Arcania. Thus it is our belief that dwarves are the result of Natural Selection, rather than Magical Selection. The divergence between humanity and dwarves occurred roughly two million years ago, based on our best approximations of the available data. It is theoretically possible for humans and members of the Small Races to produce offspring, given the close genetic ties of the two races. However, given the cultural taboos and isolationist tendencies of the dwarves, such offspring are highly unlikely.

As children of Natural Selection, dwarves have no special aptitude for magic, and are inclined to use the applications of Natural Law. They are gifted in matters of mathematics and engineering, excelling in mining, architecture, craftwork and artisanship. Their excellence in metalworking, stonework, and carpentry are well-known.

Dwarves live within the mountains, their settlements carved out of the very stone deep within those mountains. Ogres are their natural enemies, since Ogres compete with the dwarves for space and food in the same mountainous regions. However, the advantages of intellect and number make the dwarves the clear winner in most conflicts between ogre and dwarf.

--- Charles D. Arwinn, On Natural and Magical Selection, 1878

Dwarf Package

Cost.....Ability

2........+2 STR

6........+3 CON

4........+2 BODY

2........+2 PD

1........+1 ED

3........Small Folk Senses: +1 PER Roll

2........Dwarven Ears: +1 Hearing PER

5........Nightvision

3........Dwarven Longevity: Life Support (800 years Longevity)

3........Alcohol Tolerance: Life Support (Immunity to Alcoholic Beverages)

-2.......-1" Running

Options

-15.....Psychological Limitation: Hatred Of Ogres (Common, Strong)

-10.....Psychological Limitation: Greedy, Dour, etc. (Common, Moderate)

+10....Human Citified Dwarf:: WF:Hafted Weapons, Trading, PS: Dwarven craft (choose) 12-, Inventor 8-, Language (Local Human Tongue, Fluent)

+10....Dwarven Oresniffing: Detect Metals and Ores [5] as Smelling Sense, Discriminatory.

Gnomes

One of the Small Races, gnomes are an offshoot of the dwarven race. Unlike their dwarven cousins, gnomes do not possess exceptional strength. Gnomes average less than 40 inches [3’4"] or 100 centimeters in height, and usually weigh 400 to 500 stone [50 pounds / 20 kg] at most. Like their dwarven cousins, the possess exceptional endurance and longevity. The natural lifespan of a gnome is 400 to 500 years, barring accidents and illness.

According to fossil remains, the first true gnomes appeared over seven hundred thousand years ago. This divergence appears to have occurred through the process of Natural Selection, rather than Magical Selection. As with all of the Small Races, it is possible for humans and gnomes to produce offspring, though such offspring have rarely been encountered.

Gnomes can be distinguished from their dwarven and halfling cousins by their facial features. Male gnomes rarely grow the full beards sported by male dwarves, preferring the smaller goatee or simply being clean-shaven. Gnomes also have a larger nose, which gives them a sense of smell that is extremely accurate and discerning (which may explain their great success as chemists and perfumers).

Gnomes also sharply distinguish themselves from their Small Race cousins by their characters. Whereas dwarves remain isolated in their mountain homes and halflings are shy and sedentary, gnomes are outgoing and energetic. Gnomes are the most likely of the Small Races to travel, learn new languages, and appreciate all that is new and different.

Gnomes are well-known for their ambition, which has inspired many gnomes to become bankers, politicians, captains of industry, and other positions of power. This ambition is born of the gnomish need for security, lacking the physical means to do so.

Gnome Package

Cost.....Ability

4........+2 CON

3........Small Folk Senses: +1 PER Roll

2........Gnomish Nose: +1 Smell PER Roll

5........Nightvision

2........Gnomish Longevity: Life Support (Longevity 400 years)

3........Easily Hidden: +2 to Concealment, Self Only (-1/2)

4........Hard To Notice: +2 to Stealth

10.......Hard To Hit: +2 DCV

-4.......-2" Running (4" Base)

-3.......-3 STR

-5.......Physical Limitation: Half Human Size (1m), Infrequently, Slightly

Options

-15.....Psychological Limitation: Protective Of Family And Friends (Common, Strong)

-10.....Psychological Limitation: Ambitious, Outgoing, etc. (choose)

+10....Human Citified Gnome: WF Blades, Trading, PS: Gnomish Craft (choose) 12-, Contact 8-, Language (Local Human Tongue, Fluent)

+5.....The Discriminating Nose: Discriminatory Adder for Normal Sense of Smell

+10...The Exacting Nose: Discriminatory and Analyze Adders for Normal Sense of Smell.

I have to say that I really like the way these packages are turning out - each race has a niche of what the Natural or Magical Selection of evolution gave them. I could easily see a Gnomish Hercule Poirot for example.

If there's any interest in my posting the rest as I work them out let me know.

Re: Arcanum Hero - Victorian Fantasy

In the game some races had an advantage in either tech (dwarves) or magic (elves), while others had no advantage or disadvantage (humans, gnomes, etc.)

I'm not going to try to create a game mechanic for that, but let it be more of a social/cultural thing.

More to come (Halflings with their enhanced sense of taste, Half-ogres with a gentle nature, Elves, and Orcs--who happen to fill the Victorian stereotype of primitives, being strong, stupid, and suitable for slave labor.)

I'm suprised that "Wild Wild West" wasn't mentioned in the genre thread. Although that is basically Steampunk - just in America, rather than in England (same time period).

VSF is another common acronym (Victorian Science Fiction) - ie H.G.Wells, Jules Verne etc...

But that Clockwork Hero has the kind of things I imagined for Arcarnum, too. Maybe both could be developed? A version with racial tech/magic prejudice, and a version without.

I read both threads, and I like Clockwork Fantasy as a term too. CK, your Clockwork Fantasy looks interesting too, just not quite the direction I'm headed. Looks like some great ideas though. I may have to borrow a couple of them :)

My version of Arcanum HERO is also based on Arcanum, but in my campaign Magic and Technology won't cancel each other out. So I guess I can't really call it Arcanum HERO ;)

My intention is to keep the races, keep and expand the magic colleges and tech items, add religions based on real Victorian era, and see where it goes. I like the ambience of the magics in Victoriana and Horror Hero 4th ed for the evil stuff, and I want to make sure all the magical colleges have a proper ambience.

I like the idea of a gnomish Hercule Poirot, a dwarven gunsmith with Earth magic, an elven wizard with a holdback derringer. But then I loved it in Indiana Jones when the swordsman comes at Indie, blade flashing, and Indiana just pulls the revolver and shoots him. ;) And the second IJ movie, where Indie says the magic words and the stones burn the evil priests hands. So I just can't bring myself create a world where magic and technology counter each other.

Edit: Plus, I want the "Wild Wild West" in my worlds western hemisphere.

Halflings

The smallest of the Small Races, halflings never achieve a height greater than 36 inches [3’] or some 90 centimeters. They average 400 to 500 stone [50 pounds / 20 kg] in weight, although they can weigh up to 700 stone [70 pounds / 35 kg] as many have a great love of food.

Halflings have the same keen senses as the other Small Races, but they have a greater sense of taste than the other Small Races. This enhanced sense of taste causes many halflings to devote much of their lives to satisfying their palate. It is no surprise then that many of the world’s great chefs are halflings, and the race also provides much in the best wines, beers, and ciders.

The most distinguishing feature, aside from their stature, is their disproportionately large feet. Their feet are covered with a fine, animal-like fur on the top. The bottoms of their feet are thick and flexible, giving them the protection of shoes and the silent movement of animals in the wild.

Unlike the dwarves and gnomes, who appear to be products of Natural Selection, repeated tests show that the halflings have diverged from dwarven stock through Magical Selection. Alchemical tests of every halfling subject tissue produces the same result, a magical component not found in any other race. The first halflings appeared some two hundred thousand years ago. What magical agency chose to split the halfling and the dwarven (or perhaps gnomish) races, we cannot say. The end result is a reduced lifespan similar to the gnomes, a span of some 400 years.

However, this magical component has not sparked a race of sorcerers. Rather, its effect is much more subtle, giving them a great connection with Nature, especially domestic animals and plants. The vast majority enjoy life in quaint villages, and are excellent farmers and vintners. Even those halflings dwelling in human cities feel the need to keep a garden when they can.

Halfling Package

Cost.....Ability

6.......+2 DEX

3.......Small Race Senses: +1 PER Roll

2.......Halfling Palate: +1 Taste PER

5.......Nightvision

2.......Halfling Longevity: Life Support (Longevity, 400 years)

1.......Padded Feet: Damage Resistance (1 PD/1 ED); Feet Only (-2)

3.......Easily Hidden: +2 to Concealment; self only (-1/2)

4.......Hard To Notice: +2 to Stealth

10.......Hard To Hit: +2 DCV

-4.......-2" Running (4" Base)

-4.......-4 STR

-5.......Physical Limitation: Half Human Size (1m tall) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

Options

-15......Pyschological Limitation: Disinterested in World Events (Common, Strong)

-10......Psychological Limitation: Calm, Patient, or other appropriate (Common, Moderate)

+4.......Halfling Villager Package: Any 2 Halfling PS (farmer, vintner, shepherd, etc.) 11-

+5.......Connection With Nature: +1 Level with All Nature-Based Skills (including Animal Handler, PS: Farmer, Nature Magic Skill, etc.)

+5.......Halfling Manual Dexterity: Sleight of Hand +1

+5.......Discerning Palate: Discriminatory Adder for Normal Sense of Taste

Ogre-Human Hybrids

The ogre-human hybrid is a curious result of somehow cross-breeding an ogre and a human. We cannot say for certain how these creatures came to be, for few human females could withstand the assault of an ogre bull, and fewer still would be left alive after such an attack for the length of time to await the birth of the offspring... most would end up as food for the ogre. And yet, over the last 200 years, the number of such hybrids has steadily increased, and we have no means of concluding why. (But the GM does ;) )

Half-ogres are only slightly smaller than their ogre parents, having a height of roughly 120 inches [10 feet] or 300 centimeters. They weigh approximately 2500 to 3000 stone [300 pounds], and are well-muscled and extremely strong. However, they do not live as long as the full-blooded ogre, having a lifespan of some 120 years.

They are much more intelligent than their ogre parents, and are much less prone to fits of temper. They can easily work in the company of other races, such as humans and gnomes. And although they possess the spark of Magical Selection in their being, they are no more prone to magic or technology than are humans. They can use tools and magical devices as desired, but few such devices are made to fit their oversized hands and bodies.

It is also quite curious that half-ogres, like gnomes and halflings, have a great patience and mild temper, and an innate parental instinct. They have a genuine affection for all beings smaller than themselves, especially gnomes and halflings. They are exceedingly gentle with children, and can often be seen in care of the children of their employers in the larger cities.

Half-Ogre Package

Cost......Ability

15(20*)..+15 STR

20.......+10 CON

16.......+8 BODY

5.......+5 PRE

1.......+1 ED

2.......Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (2PD/2ED)

4.......Long Legs: +2" Running (8" Base)

5.......Nightvision

-2.......-2 INT

-4.......-2 EGO

-1.......-2 COM

-5.......Physical Limitation: Large (3m tall) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

Options

-10.......Psychological Limitation: No Knowledge Of Who Parents Were (Common, Moderate)

-10.......Psychological Limitation: Calm, Patient, Gentle, or other appropriate (Common, Moderate)

+4........City Worker: Any 2 PS appropriate to serving a family (servant, bodyguard, groundskeeper, etc.) 11-

+3........Gentle Nature: +1 Level with all PRE-Based skills, Only When Using Gentleness And Compassion (-1/2)

*With NCM

Here's a PDF of my Arcania Races chapter. I've added the info for Elves, Half-Elves, Orcs, and Half-Orcs. Orcs in Arcanum (Arcania) are green like D&D trolls, and regenerate at 1 BODY per Minute. Half-orcs regenerate at 1 BODY per hour.

The next task will be the Victorian and Clockwork professions - Detective, Doctor, Inventor, and so forth.

Arcanum has the Kite race, which is a gnome-sized goblinoid. I'll include them in the Bestiary section, when I get to it.

As far as other humanoid races, I'm still trying to decide if I want to include the Troll, Hobgoblin, and Victoriana's Beastman. I do want to keep true to Arwinn's Theory of Natural and Magical Selection, and having too many humanoid races beyond those he discusses directly runs the risk of breaking it. Until I get further into this thing, I just don't know for sure.

I hate to pick nits' date=' but one stone is equal to 14 pounds not one pound to ten stone. See this site: Weights and Measures .

In all other ways entertaining and very "borrowable." :)

The weights in Sierra's Arcanum game work out as 1 stone is 1/10 of a pound, and most of the measures in the user's guide do to. So someone at Sierra had their own ideas ;)

But thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

Other races are explainable if you introduce Dr Moreau-type mad scientists...

Or travellers from elsewhere (through the ether from Barsoom, from gates to other dimensions, from the kingdoms in the hollow Earth)

Dr. Moreau-esque was EXACTLY what I was considering to include the Victoriana Beastmen. :)

(spoiler) Especially since the majority of the Half-Ogre population is due to the secret efforts of the Gnomish Consortium.

Clockwork Scientist

Cost Name
3 Scientist
2 1) SS: Astronomy 11- (3 Active Points)

2 2) SS: Clockwork Mechanics 11- (3 Active Points)

2 3) SS: Steam Mechanics 11- (3 Active Points)

3 Lockpicking 11-

Inventor 11-

25 point Resource Pool

20 Total Skills Cost

I'm considering using the optional Resource rules from Dark Champions, at the cost given in Dark Champions (5/1), rather than a gadgeteering VPP. I think it'll make it easier in the long run.

Childhood Background Packages

These packages (which are entirely optional) represent some of the possible childhoods of the characters.

KS: Basic Education represents the basics of school learning — reading, history, math, science, literature. The character can do basic math, read, and remembers a smattering of history, geography, and literature. The rule of 5 applies: using this skill to recall a specific discipline (e.g. Classic Literature) is a -5 to the roll, so if the character has an 11- roll for Basic Education, his Classic Literature roll is a 6-.

Artist’s Apprentice

As a child, the character was sent off to study under some notable artist (a painter, sculptor, or similar discipline). The family hoped the character would excel and someday become a noteworthy artist.

Artist’s Apprentice

Cost

Ability

PS: Accepted Artform (choose) 11-

Literacy in Native Language

KS: Basic Education 11-

PS: Read Body Language 11-

Disadvantages

None

Commercial Apprentice

As a child, the character was apprenticed to a bank, moneylender, or other commercial concern to learn a profitable craft. The character spent most of his time with his head in the books, learning the intricacies of finance.

Commercial Apprentice

Cost

Ability

PS: Banker/Moneylender (choose) 11-

PS: Accounting/Finance 11-

Disadvantages

None

Industrial Apprentice

As a child, the character worked in the mills or factories, learning a trade under the watchful eye of the master engineer/craftsman. The character’s time was divided between running errands for his master, and learning the basics of the craft.

Industrial Apprentice

Cost

Ability

PS: Industry (choose, e.g. miller, factory worker, ) 11-

Mechanics

Disadvantages

None

Boy Dodger

The character was one of the lucky ones to survive apprenticeship in the textile factories, dodging in between the moving looms and gears to retrieve lost spools. Overworked and unschooled, the character is a master of the dodge.

Boy Dodger

Cost

Ability

Breakfall 8-

Illiterate

KS: Textiles Industry 8-

CSL: +2 with Dodge maneuver

Disadvantages

None