Where else do you roll down?

Funksaw

Re: Where else do you roll down?

You're 22. You won't' date=' eventually, I promse you that... (well, you won't "love" it, you may maintain an amiable liking, but if you get to 35 or such and you still "love" it, well, I weep for you, though will envy your pocket book...)[/quote']

Actually, I still love ramen. And I lived on it and free pizza from work (Pizza Shuttle in Norman OK) for over a year. Okay, every once and a while (once or twice a month) I'd have some tacos from the 19cent taco place across the street. Me and my roomates would get water and raid their lemon wedges and sugar to make lemonaid to go with it. :)

Of course I ate it! How else do you think I came to hate it so?

P.S.: I have the same feelings for mac & cheese too, but for some reason still like potatoes (which are the ultimate cheep food... a 10lb bag of russets and a tub of veggie spread will feed you for a week or more).

It saddens me that I already knew the potato and "butter" trick. I also remember being very upset when I couldn't buy 4 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese for a dollar any more, though now I think it's at the point where you can't buy 2. But I love Mac and Cheese, yum yum yum. Starchy and almost no actual nutritional value, but tasty!

I also remember a friend (hi Blair!) who recieved a large (60 gal) trash can for his birthday one year. The thing was crammed to the rim with ramen. There were flavors us white boys had never even imagined! I mean, creamy curry chicken? In ramen? WTF? And BBQ Pork? Of course, now he's on a modified Atkins diet, so ramen is worthless to him. Sad, really.

I also remember a friend (hi Blair!) who recieved a large (60 gal) trash can for his birthday one year. The thing was crammed to the rim with ramen. There were flavors us white boys had never even imagined! I mean, creamy curry chicken? In ramen? WTF? And BBQ Pork? Of course, now he's on a modified Atkins diet, so ramen is worthless to him. Sad, really.

I've always liked the brands of ramen that come with the little packet of sesame oil in them. Sesame chicken or chicken curry are two of my fav flavours...

:D

Guest Black Lotus

Actually' date=' I still love ramen. And I lived on it and free pizza from work (Pizza Shuttle in Norman OK) for over a year. Okay, every once and a while (once or twice a month) I'd have some tacos from the 19cent taco place across the street. Me and my roomates would get water and raid their lemon wedges and sugar to make lemonaid to go with it. :)[/quote']

Archermoo, your hardy, robust, and resourceful approach to foraging causes my ninja heart to swell with pride and admiration.

Rep to you!

It saddens me that I already knew the potato and "butter" trick. I also remember being very upset when I couldn't buy 4 boxes of Kraft Mac and Cheese for a dollar any more' date=' though now I think it's at the point where you can't buy 2. But I love Mac and Cheese, yum yum yum. Starchy and almost no actual nutritional value, but tasty![/quote']

You can always buy the store brands at Wal-Mart... it's what my son lives on (not that I'm cheep, the boy asks for it specifically). You can occasionally be it bulk for about 5/$1 about once a year. Stock up!

My girlfriend gets the "expensive" ramen strait from the oriental isle (as opposed to the mac&cheese isle) and mixes it with canned shrimp. To my understanding, it's quite good. I'd have to say it's her favorite meal.

P.S.: WTFs a "modified" Atkins diet?

You know, as long as a "bonus" is something you add and a "penalty" is something you subtract, I don't see why anyone should have a problem with a roll-under system. (I was happy when GoO stopped doing this backwards with TriStat.)

In the end, regardless of the fact that you want to roll low to determine success and roll high (ideally) to determine effect in HERO, you're still rolling X number of dice, *adding* them all up, and making a comparison (be it to a target number or against a another PC's BODY/STUN/EGO/PRE/etc.).

Intuitive enough for me. :)

And how does it being easier to divide by 10 than 11 make 10 a more attractive number when looking to roll over or under a number on dice?

Eh. It is possibly slightly easier to remember. For me, it is also easier to do addition and subtraction from 10; not that I can't subtract from 11 or whatever, but the difference between 10 and any particular digit is just so well ingrained in me that I know the answer instantaneously and without the slightest doubt of correctness.

You are right that it probably makes no real noticable difference though. Whatever. :)

Guest Black Lotus

My girlfriend gets the "expensive" ramen strait from the oriental isle *snip*

:: puts on nitpicker hat ::

Hee hee! You mean she goes all the way to Japan for Ramen? How silly!

Eh. It is possibly slightly easier to remember. For me, it is also easier to do addition and subtraction from 10; not that I can't subtract from 11 or whatever, but the difference between 10 and any particular digit is just so well ingrained in me that I know the answer instantaneously and without the slightest doubt of correctness.

You are right that it probably makes no real noticable difference though. Whatever. :)

Ah, okay. I think I lost you at some point, so I was trying to do a reality check. :)

I was actually running a mod of HERO for a while that used 3D10 instead of 3D6, and used 17 as the target number. :) Of course it was a Dragaeran camapaign...

:D

Archermoo, your hardy, robust, and resourceful approach to foraging causes my ninja heart to swell with pride and admiration.

Rep to you!

*bows*

Though it has been a number of years since I've needed to resort to those techniques, I still remember them fondly. Which is to say I'm viewing it through the "fond memory" filter. :D

Not sure I know what you are asking...I'm not going to claim in this case this holds true as an example of one and not the other. But something like (and not picking on it) using 3d6 to determine damage as well as to-hit is consistency only for the sake of it, it is rather jarring to Play Experience. And it's important to pay attention to where the line is not so obvious so we err on the side of Play Experience.

Not sure I know what you are asking...I'm not going to claim in this case this holds true as an example of one and not the other. But something like (and not picking on it) using 3d6 to determine damage as well as to-hit is consistency only for the sake of it' date=' it is rather jarring to Play Experience. And it's important to pay attention to where the line is not so obvious so we err on the side of Play Experience.[/quote']

So the rolling of all of the Attributes/Characteristics/whatever into just a handful that all cost the came points/value to increase could be consistancy for consistany's sake, rather than setting each one at a different value and strength based on how useful it actually is (one of my current gripes with d20)