H. Leap (3") 2 1/2"
V. Leap (1") 1"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Light Brown
Eye Color:  Hazel
Height:  1.77 m
Weight:  74.00 kg
Description:
Marty is the spitting image of a newspaper reporter of the day. He dresses in a wrinkled brown suit and wears the traditional tan raincoat.

MARTIAL ARTS MANEUVERS
Cost  Maneuver
Street Fighting
1) Get Out of the way: 1/2 Phase, -- OCV, +5 DCV, Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
2) Hit them Hard: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +0 DCV, 2d6 Strike
3) Block and Throw: 1/2 Phase, +1 OCV, +1 DCV, Block, Target Falls
10 Total Martial Arts Cost

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 6/9 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/3  
Energy Defense 3 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0  
Mental Defense 6 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 5 DCV: 5

Combat Skill Levels:
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
Get Out of the way 1/2 -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort
Hit them Hard 1/2 +1 +0 2d6 Strike
Block and Throw 1/2 +1 +1 Block, Target Falls
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
31 (30 Mile Vision): Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (25600"), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (140 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Always On (-1/2) 0
5 Armor (3 PD/0 ED) 0
5 Life Support (Ages from16 - 60 and back) (Longevity Immortal) 0
2 Mental Defense (6 points total) 0
7 Ego Attack 1d6 (10 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2) 2
50 Total Powers Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
1 Reporter: Fringe Benefit: License to practice a profession
1 Total Perks Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
3 Scholar
1) Important People in New Orleans: CuK: (3 Active Points) 13-
2) New Orleans Cajan Area: KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
3) New Orleans Government: KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
4) New Orleans Merchants : KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
5) New Orleans Night Life: KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
6) New Orleans Nightclubs & Bars: AK: (3 Active Points) 13-
7) New Orleans Police Department: KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
8) New Orleans Voodoo Cults: KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
9) New Orleans Water Front: AK: (3 Active Points) 13-
10) New OrleansUnderworld: KS: (3 Active Points) 13-
11) Places to get things: AK: (3 Active Points) 13-
12) Where Things are: CK: (3 Active Points) 13-
13) AK: Greater New Orleans Area (3 Active Points) 13-
3 Lockpicking 12-
3 Sleight Of Hand 12-
3 Stealth 12-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Seduction 12-
3 PS Reporter 13-
3 Persuasion 12-
3 High Society 12-
3 Conversation 12-
3 Concealment 13-
Everyman Skills
1) Acting 8-
2) Stealth 8-
3) Trading 8-
4) Paramedics 8-
5) Concealment 8-
6) Climbing 8-
7) Bribery 8-
Knowledge Skills
1) Local Terms: Language: French (Cajun) (basic conversation) (1 Active Points)
62 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
15 Must go after the Story: Very Common, Moderate
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima
10 Reporter: Frequently (11-), Minor
15 Opens his Pocket Watch and looks at the Time: Common, Strong
10 Rivalry: Reporter Kent gets all the good stories. Professional, Rival is More Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival, Rival Aware of Rivalry
5 All Watches he Wears Stop: Infrequently, Slightly Impairing
10 Hunted - Spirit Hunters: As Powerful, 8- (Occasionally), Harshly Punish
10 Vulnerability: Fire + Heat Attacks (Common)
75 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 1.77 m Hair: Light Brown
Weight: 74.00 kg Eyes: Hazel
Appearance: Marty is the spitting image of a newspaper reporter of the day. He dresses in a wrinkled brown suit and wears the traditional tan raincoat.
Personality: Marty is the good guy; at least that is how he sees himself. Others think he’s pushy and too inquisitive. They think he only cares about himself. This is not true, Marty cares for someone very close to him but he can’t tell he because she’s married to someone else. Marty is a very good reporter and he once he thinks he’s on the trail of a story he is very hard to shake off. Marty has a habit of always looking at his pocket watch. This is a nervous habit and he is barely aware that he is doing it.
Quote:"I need this story"
Background: Martin “Ash†Ashley is a twenty-seven year old man who hasn’t gotten his big break yet. He is looking for the “Big†story that will win him his Pulitzer and set him up for bigger and better things. Marty grew up in New Orleans. He has been friends with Gail Washington since they where children. Marty is inquisitive and has a habit of being in the wrong place at the right time. He has a knack for finding a story and getting all the information as possible but by the time he gets back to the paper the headline is given to Kent Wilson.
Powers/Tactics: Marty grew up in a rough part of town and he’s learned a few things about fighting. He would rather flee then fight and he will not charge into combat unless someone he cares for a lot is in trouble.
Campaign Use: Marty would be a real good person to have as a Contact or DNPC. He can give the characters tips or he could be around to annoy the characters.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.40)

Re: Please Review

This character I'm building for a 1928 Pulpish/Dark CH game based in New Orleans.

I'm trying to build the Precog so he can get visions but only within 30 Miles or so.

He is a normal who got 50 points of powers due to some "Event".

Let me know if there is a cheaper way of building the power.

Thanks

A.

Well, the "No Conscious Control" and "Always on" limitations seem to be opposing each other. After all, how can it be constantly on, if the PC can't control it? And if you're saying that he's contanstly receiving visions, but not controlling which ones he sees, then I'd think he wouldn't be able to see the real world. (Maybe you could change the limitation to a END multiplier). Also, what about the armor? Is that "natural" or is he wearing a vest or something? If clothing, I'd give it an OIF or IIF, and an activation roll (unless it is a costume that covers him).

It's been quite some time since I've seen such a low-point charcter. It's quite refreshing.

Recreating the power, it looks like to me that you didn't purchase the retrocognition, though you took a limitation that included it. Was this intended? (Basically Is he just a precog?)

I show the power purchased like this:

31 Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (25600"), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (140 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Always On (-1/2)

Now, I don't think you should be allowed the "Always On" with "No Conscious Control." I think your biggest price increase is because you want this to be at zero END, which I think is a mistake (while it is necessary for the "Always On" I think you should nix it). Here is how I personally would build the power you seem to be going for:

19 Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x128 Range (25600"), (75 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1) END: 7

For seven endurance, this shouldn't be a problem, and you've saved 12 points (maybe to give him another martial art skill, along with something else).

If you wanted him to Precog & Retrocog, then I would do it like this:

22 Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (19200" [about 23 miles]), (90 Active Points) No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1) END: 9

I hope this helps.

Recreating the power, it looks like to me that you didn't purchase the retrocognition, though you took a limitation that included it. Was this intended? (Basically Is he just a precog?)

I show the power purchased like this:

31 Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (25600"), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (140 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), Always On (-1/2)

Now, I don't think you should be allowed the "Always On" with "No Conscious Control." I think your biggest price increase is because you want this to be at zero END, which I think is a mistake (while it is necessary for the "Always On" I think you should nix it). Here is how I personally would build the power you seem to be going for:

19 Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x128 Range (25600"), (75 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1) END: 7

For seven endurance, this shouldn't be a problem, and you've saved 12 points (maybe to give him another martial art skill, along with something else).

If you wanted him to Precog & Retrocog, then I would do it like this:

22 Retrocognitive, Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group), x64 Range (19200" [about 23 miles]), (90 Active Points) No Conscious Control (-2), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1) END: 9

I hope this helps.

The reasoning behind the Always On/No Conscious Control is this, I don't want him to have to turn the power on to use it and I don't want him to have control of the power.

I want him to be walking down the street and see a kid get hit by a bus. He looks at his broken watch and sees that it happens at 3:32 and the current time is 3:15. So he waits around and tries to keep the kid from being in the street at 3:32.

If he has to turn the power on then he will not get the vison.

The reasoning behind the Always On/No Conscious Control is this, I don't want him to have to turn the power on to use it and I don't want him to have control of the power.

I want him to be walking down the street and see a kid get hit by a bus. He looks at his broken watch and sees that it happens at 3:32 and the current time is 3:15. So he waits around and tries to keep the kid from being in the street at 3:32.

If he has to turn the power on then he will not get the vison.

I think this is understood with the "No Conscious Control." If a PC had a 12d6 EB with NCC on it, he'd still have to pay END whenever it came on. He wouldn't have to 'activate' the power and then hope it would eventually go off. That would be better represented by a low activation roll.

On page 196 of FREd, it states "Although the character posesses the Power, he cannot consciously activate or use it. The Power only turns on when the GM chooses.... For example, a character could buy Precognitive Clairsentience with No Conscious Control. His Precognition would occasionally grant him momentary visions of future events, but wouldn't allow him to foresee the future whenever he wanted."

Basically, when the GM wants the power to activate, you pay END for it. Otherwise, you don't have to worry about it.

Iroll.

On page 196 of FREd, it states "Although the character posesses the Power, he cannot consciously activate or use it. The Power only turns on when the GM chooses.... For example, a character could buy Precognitive Clairsentience with No Conscious Control. His Precognition would occasionally grant him momentary visions of future events, but wouldn't allow him to foresee the future whenever he wanted."

You're right, that is it.

I'll do the rewrite.

Thanks.

Also, what about the armor? Is that "natural" or is he wearing a vest or something? If clothing, I'd give it an OIF or IIF, and an activation roll (unless it is a costume that covers him).

It's been quite some time since I've seen such a low-point charcter. It's quite refreshing.

The armor is natural due to the way his powers came about.

Thanks.

A.

Opens his Pocket Watch and looks at the Time is not worth any points as psychological limitation.

Maybe you could buy it as a distinctive feature if Ash looked at it very often.

Thanks,

It's something he does every minute or so without knowing hes doing it.

It drives the players crazy when he does it.

The reason I took it as a Psy Lim is that he's not really aware that he is doing it and if I took it as Distinctive Features he would be able to stop in order to conceal himself.

A.

Would you build a Dream Catcher Precog this way?

or is the NCC to much?

Precognitive Clairsentience (Sight Group) (40 Active Points); No Conscious Control (-2), Only Through Dreams (-1), Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1)

I think the NCC would be too much.

if I took it as Distinctive Features he would be able to stop in order to conceal himself.

Nope there are options that make it so that you can make it more or less difficult to conceal.

Btw: Driving the other players crazy does not give you any limitation.

Unless you give yourself the “prone to drive team-members crazy†limitation.

A limitation is not a limitation if it does not hinder the player.

He could just as well take "snaps his fingers often" or "prefer black socks over white"

First, it's a disadvantage, not a limitation. Second, psychological limitations, such as obsessive compulsive disorders qualify. If said PC is trying to casually get past the Gestapo in Germany, and they know he "constantly" looks at his watch, that's a give away. For your "snaps his fingers often" example, if he's hiding from the police (say he broke in to a criminal's home/buisness) and he's in the closet snapping his fingers, he'll be noticed.

"Prefers" black socks wouldn't qualify, though you seem to just be giving a redundant "example" there. Always wears black socks could qualify (though this as a distinctive feature), especially if he's on the beach.

I wouldn't limit Arugs's imagination simply because you didn't think of it the same way he did.

It does appear to potentially hinder the character, although it's probably more of a Distinctive Feature than a Psych Lim.

DF: Obsessively checks his pocket watch; Not Concealable, Noticed and Recognizable, Detectable by Virtually Everyone -- 15 points.

Either way it's still 15 points.

But as a Psych Lim he has to make an Ego Roll Not to check his pocket watch.

And the GM can make him spend a combat phase checking his watch in the middle of a shootout, or when he's running to jump on a moving train. Or whenever it would be inconvenient, and it falls under the "Personality Traits or Compulsions" of Psych Lim.

Psychology Today provides a good definition and symptons for OCD.

Here are some good examples for OCD.

Common Obsessions: Common Compulsions:

Contamination fears of germs, dirt, etc. Washing

Imagining having harmed self or others Repeating

Imagining losing control or aggressive urges Checking

Intrusive sexual thoughts or urges Touching

Excessive religious or moral doubt Counting

Forbidden thoughts Ordering/arranging

A need to have things "just so" Hoarding or saving

A need to tell, ask, confess Praying

Since the character has precognative powers, I can see him "Imagining having harmed others" because he's had visions of people dying and he wasn't around to prevent it. (Perhaps it took him a month or two before he figured how this precog worked?) He hasn't been able to save everyone in his city, so now he is "Imagining losing control" as a result. He now is repeating the action of checking his watch every time he enters and leaves a room, and perhaps during akward moments of silence, or even when he's waiting (for a bus or taxi).

Looking back at the disads, I would be a bit concerned with the 5 point one about watches stopping. Is this a side-effect of his power, or does he just forget to wind them? (I don't *think* watches back then had batteries, but I could be wrong.)

Maybe change it with a 5 pt 'watched' by the police. (Since he is in their business, so to speak.)

Looking back at the disads, I would be a bit concerned with the 5 point one about watches stopping. Is this a side-effect of his power, or does he just forget to wind them? (I don't *think* watches back then had batteries, but I could be wrong.)

Maybe change it with a 5 pt 'watched' by the police. (Since he is in their business, so to speak.)

I'm thinking that Watches stopping when he wears them as a side effect of his power.

He can still see the time events in the future take place by looking at the broken watch, but he can't tell what time it is the rest of the time because his watch is now broken.

And the watches break as soon as hi puts them on.

Either way it's still 15 points.

But as a Psych Lim he has to make an Ego Roll Not to check his pocket watch.

True enough. The way I built the DF precludes the EGO Roll, though. He will check his watch at some point while being observed with that build.

And the GM can make him spend a combat phase checking his watch in the middle of a shootout, or when he's running to jump on a moving train. Or whenever it would be inconvenient, and it falls under the "Personality Traits or Compulsions" of Psych Lim.

These are all good points. With cases like these, a Psych Lim would be more appropriate. I had assumed that he wouldn't be under such a compulsion that he'd check his watch while being shot at, but I was obviously wrong.

Ruth Snyder (Before Event)

Val** Char*** Cost
9** STR -1
13** DEX 9
13** CON 6
10** BODY 0
13** INT 3
16** EGO 12
18** PRE 8
16** COM 3
3** PD 1
3** ED 0
3** SPD 7
5** REC 0
26** END 0
22** STUN 0
6"** RUN 0
2"** SWIM 0
1 1/2"** LEAP 0
Characteristics Cost: 48

Cost** Skill
3** Acting 13-*
3** Oratory 13-*
3** Persuasion 13-*
3** Seduction 13-*
Skills Cost: 12

Val** Disadvantages
20** Physical Limitation: In Prison on Death Roll: (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)*
15** Psychological Limitation: Greedy: (Common, Strong)*
Disadvantage Points: 35
Cost Summary:Base Points:25Disadvantage Points: 35Total Experience Available: 0Total Character Cost: 60Height: 1.61 mHair: BlondWeight: 47.00 kgEyes: BrownAppearance: Personality: Greed is the primary motivation of Ruth Snyder. She likes to have people around her that she can control and manipulate. She is an evil woman with a black heart.Quote:"Go to HELL!"Background: Ruth Brown wanted a good life. Ambitious, she went to work at age 13 as a telephone operator. On her own time, she took classes and studied hard, gaining employable business skills at shorthand and bookkeeping. She had dreams about marrying a Prince Charming. When she went to work for Albert Snyder, the editor of Motor Boating magazine, Ruth thought she had met her soulmate.

She was 20 in 1915 when she married him. But Albert Snyder brought a rival into their marriage bed. Before marrying Ruth, Albert had been engaged for 10 years to Jessie Guishard and he still worshipped her. When Albert and Ruth moved in together, he kept a picture of Jessie on the wall of their home. Further, when Albert bought a boat, he named it after Jessie. Ruth objected. But Albert declared that Jessie was "the finest woman I have ever met."

Although this was not the marriage Ruth had dreamed of, she and Albert had a daughter, Lorraine, in 1918. With the advent of the "Roaring Twenties," Ruth broadened her horizons and became a Jazz Age party girl. Indifferent, Albert ("the old crab" as she referred to him) stayed home with their daughter in Queens while Ruth went out dancing.

In June of 1925 she met her Prince Charming: Judd Gray, a quiet New Jersey fellow, a 33-year-old corset salesman. They met on a blind date and began an affair. She would leave Lorraine in the lobby of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and romp with Judd in his room.

Shortly thereafter, Ruth Brown Snyder planned to kill her husband. But Albert Snyder did not die easy.

Ruth took out a $48,000 life insurance policy on Albert with a double-indemnity clause. Twice, she disconnected the gas while Albert slept and slipped from the house, but both times he awakened and saved himself from asphyxiation. Apparently, he never suspected his wife. Another time she closed him inside the garage door while the automobile's engine was running, but Albert survived. Then she started putting bichloride of mercury in his whiskey. But he survived again.

Finally in February 1927, Ruth convinced Judd to help her murder her husband. Gray hid in a bedroom closet and, when the Snyder's returned home, he hit Albert over the head with a sash weight. Albert struggled and begged for his wife to help him. But Ruth picked up the sash weight and hit her husband repeatedly until he slipped into unconsciousness. Then, Ruth chloroformed him and strangled him with picture wire.

After Albert Snyder was finally dead, Gray tied up Ruth. When the police arrived, she claimed they had been robbed and attacked by burglars.

Albert's body was found in the bedroom, tied hand and foot. He had been chloroformed, and his head bashed in. There were three bullets on the floor and a revolver on the bed. Picture wire was tied tightly around his neck. Money from his wallet was missing and, Ruth told police, so was her jewels. Unfortunately for Ruth, the missing jewelry was found tucked under her mattress.

In the police search of the house a bloody pillowcase was also found as well as a five-pound, bloodstained sash weight. Police found a $200 check in Ruth's desk made out to H. Judd Gray and a tie clip with his initials on the bedroom floor. They found his name, among 28 other men, in Ruth's little black book. They later found $90,000 in life insurance on Albert Snyder, including double indemnity clauses, in a safe deposit box registered in the name of Ruth Brown.

Judd hadn't played it too smart, either. When he left the scene of the crime he walked to a bus stop, asking a policeman how long before the next bus would come. He took the bus to Jamaica where he grabbed a taxi to Manhattan. The cabbie remembered Judd very well, he said, because of the crummy five-cent tip.

After the police falsely told Ruth that Gray had confessed, Ruth confessed. Hearing that Ruth had confessed, Gray confessed. But while both Ruth and Judd confessed to the crime, they proceeded to blame each other. Judd said that Ruth had hypnotized him with "drink, veiled threats, and intensive love." He claimed that Ruth had tied the wire around poor Albert's throat. All Ruth knew, she said, was that Judd went into the bedroom and came out again, saying, "I guess that's it."

In the popular view, Ruth was the stronger of the two. Damon Runyon thought Ruth was a babe. He described her as "a chilly-looking blonde with frosty eyes and one of those marble you-bet-you-will chins." Judd was seen as a wimpy fellow led around by his lover. He called her his "queen" and "my mommie." She referred to him as "lover boy." Damon Runyon wrote of Judd that he was "an inert, scared-drunk fellow that you couldn't miss among any hundred men as a dead set-up for a blonde, or the shell game, or maybe a gold brick – on trial for what might be called for want of a better name: the Dumb-bell Murder. It was so dumb!"

It took a jury only an hour and a half to convict them on May 9, 1927.

The day before the executions, Judd spent his time quietly reading the Bible. Ruth pounded on the bars of her cell and screamed her head off. She had been undergoing a Death Row conversion to Catholicism when a prison matron asked her if she was serious. Ruth answered, "Go to hell."

They were electrocuted one after the other at Sing Sing Prison on January 22, 1928. Judd's feet caught fire during his electrocution, but nobody remembers that. Instead, it is Ruth's three minutes in the hot seat that is burned into the public memory.

Thomas Howard, a news photographer, secretly wore a camera strapped to his ankle and just as the executioner pulled the switch on Ruth, he crossed his legs and snapped a picture. The photo would run on the front page of the New York Daily News.

Ruth was dubbed both "The Iron Widow" and "The Bloody Blonde."

James M. Cain incorporated elements of the Snyder-Gray case into his two novels Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice.

In 1928, Clark Gable played the part of Judd Gray on Broadway in a play called Machinal written by Ogden Nash.

Powers/Tactics: Campaign Use: In my campaign Ruth is going to be one of the first people to under go a change from "The Event."