Reaching Across the 19th Century Aisle

yamamura

To the supporters of Gaslight/Victorian HERO and Old West HERO

We have been splitting our collective power, when in reality by working together; we can promote a combine book called 19th Century HERO. Imagine a book somewhere around the size of Dark Champions containing information on both genres. In my humble opinion the book would contain the following;

Chapter One: Character creation and archetypes would be put up front. Here is an excellent example of both books sharing common material. After all what separates a soiled dove and a London streetwalker but location. Also we have seen in movies and books character concepts that move from one genre to the other; Mr. Quincy Morris from Dracula for example. Of course specific archetypes like marshal or a Victorian Lady would get their own write up. This will also contain all the adjustments to Perks, Talents, Skills, Powers and Disadvantages.

Chapter Two: Equipment and vehicles would be the next chapter. Once again given that the two genres have a lot in common, it would save having all the information in one place. Cost would be given in both pounds and dollars

Chapter Three: Gaslight HERO will detail the 19th century England from 1837 to 1901. Here also will be rules on etiquette, culture, class and a time line. Also here would be information on running a Victorian campaign.

Chapter Four: Old West HERO will have short section of US History up to the end of the Civil War before launching into a discussion of role-playing the Old West. Once again the book will go into details of the time period and proper attitudes. It will also contain information on running an Old West adventure.

Chapter Five: Europe, Colonies and the Rest of the World will have information on setting your games anywhere from Paris to Mexico to India to Japan in the 19th century. This chapter will give light detail on each place allowing a GM a starting point to find more information on the locale.

Chapter Six: 19th Century Beyond will chronicle adventuring ideas from Steam powered robots to Victorian space travel to Magic (Amerindian Shamanism, Golden Dawn etc.). Mad scientist and Martian invaders will also find a home in this section.

Of course the book would end with a bibliography for more information and an appendix of 19th century slang (marked Victorian or Old West) and of course one of HERO amazing Index to easily find what you are looking for.

So here you have my proposal people. By working together we can put ourselves behind one product and show greater support for it then by pushing separately for two different products. Just my tuppence, anybody else care to comment.

G

Re: Reaching Across the 19th Century Aisle

However, you have to be sure to distinguish between fan stuff (like Star Trek HERO or Western Shores HERO) and full-fledged sourcebooks (like Star HERO, Horror HERO). Fan stuff shares our love of a particular mileau. We don't want to infringe on Steve's livelihood and cause something that HERO would produce to be of lesser value because a free version was already available.

So Steve, if you read this, how much could be done without infringing ? Certainly the idea (at least to me) would be new stuff, as in new professions package like Inventor, Consulting Detective, Demimondaine, Army Batman, etc.

Well Eodin, what I am proposing is not a fan based book (even though that would be cool) but a way for it to be more profitable for HERO to publish a book that will make fans of both genre happy. While I myself would by both Old West HERO and Victorian HERO in a heart beat, there might be those who would only buy one or the other thus reducing the profitabilty of such a book. So by combining the books into one, it offers something both groups can use and something both groups would buy.

G

I'd buy it, I assume it would also include some pre-pulpish aspects like Jules Vernes & E.R. Bouroughs stories and Wild, Wild, West?

Sounds like a good idea and it makes sense to combine them so your Scotland Yard investigators can take a journey to the wild west or your cowpokes can visit the big city.

We had a few bushrangers :)

Some memorable, some not so, some just plain weird.

And, if you wanted to do a horror subgenre - there is always the Wreck of the Batavia.

Anyhow, if a setting book - subgenres could have mentions, such as pulp, horror, comedy (Girl Genius springs to mind)

Interesting links Curufea, I would rep you but I must give others some first. I agree that things like Girl Genius should be include and most likely would find a likely home in the final chapter.

I just picked up Girl Genius Vol 1 & 3 -- that's some cool stuff going on in there!

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were proposing us fans creating such a thing.

Never mind.

I actually like this idea. I wonder if Arooo would have any interest in linking such a thing to Star Hero fandom?

Or, would anyone have some server space to hold the information and discussions of its creation? Susano had the majority of his information out there, for free for quite a while. It didn't stop people buying the product when it actually became liscenced, though.

Just my vote...

I want to say great ideas Captain Obvious, steriaca and Toadmaster and Australia can fit Curufea, under Chapter five.

G

Thank you for the thanks.

Now, what would make it perfect is if you can get an artest to acualy do a sterotypical damsel-in-distress image for the page.

I made up a bunch of portraits for character sheets in a friend's Con game - The Lake District Needlework and Adventure Society. Most are just sepia toned images from various appropriate movies. Would they do?

http://www.curufea.com/ldnas/

Interesting group of pics from the Regency to Late Victorian (and perchance Edwardian).

G