More space news!

tkdguy

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Cancer said:

The disturbing fate of a planet made of blueberries

... don't invest in real estate there.

In addition to the other interests the article lists, Anders Sandberg is (or at least was) a gamer. I encountered him way back when on Alt.Games.White-Wolf and Rec.Games.FRP.Storyteller, where he contributed the best stuff I've ever seen for Mage: the Ascension. A man of truly wide-ranging intellect and imagination.

Dean Shomshak

Space-X had another successful launch this morning, with a Dragon Resupply mission to the ISS.

https://www.spacex.com/webcast

However the recovery of the Falcon 9 First stage was  marred by the returning stage going into an unrecoverable spin, shortly after completing it's re-entry burn.

[EDIT: Additional Information ]

11 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Space-X had another successful launch this morning, with a Dragon Resupply mission to the ISS.

https://www.spacex.com/webcast

However the recovery of the Falcon 9 First stage was  marred by the returning stage going into an unrecoverable spin, shortly after completing it's re-entry burn. 

[EDIT: Additional Information ]

Every landing you can walk away from, right?

2 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Heard on the evening news: InSight sends back the first audio from Mars. The seismograph and, IIRC, wind gauge register the sound of the Martian wind.

Dean Shomshak

I read about it as well. Here's the story.

And in other space news, China launches the first surface mission to the moon's far side.

On 12/5/2018 at 7:40 AM, Cancer said:

Announced last week --- four more black hole mergers detected by gravity-wave observatories

This somehow eluded the popular press that I was more or less paying attention to.

My local newspaper, the Tacoma News Tribune, reprinted this story from the Tri-City Herald on Sunday:

Hanford observatory detects black hole waves | Tri-City Herald

www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/hanford/article222554785...

The LIGO Hanford observatory near Richland has detected gravitational waves in space from 4 more black hole collisions. The black hole detections were in collaboration with Virgo and LIGO Livingston.

Possibly more for the "local news" angle than for the pure science angle, but I won't complain.

Dean Shomshak

17 hours ago, Zeropoint said:

I find it just a little bit frightening that black hole collisions are so frequent.

The nature of the merger events and gravitational wave detectors means that once you can detect them at all, you detect more or less all of them in the near half of the Universe or so.  By contrast, we seem to have missed half the supernovae in our own Galaxy over the last two or three thousand years.

7 hours ago, Cancer said:

Fun fact:

I ocassionally read questions on programming forums about "why is this networking code not working in scenario X".

The thing is, that this is never a programming issue, always a networking one. And just to drive the point home I say:
"For the code it does not mater if the other end is on the same computer, the same swtich, or the Voyager 2 probe."

Thus far it got everyone to look into the right direction :)