More space news!

tkdguy

Re: More space news!

Neutrinos still faster than light:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/nov/18/neutrinos-still-faster-than-light?newsfeed=true

although they're still holding out for clock irregularities.

OK, so how many of us will go to that linked site and then read the item linked there about "Female orgasm caught on brain scan"? :sneaky:

You mean the power source?

Well, that is not a nuclear reactor. In fact RTG's are closer to a non-rechargeable battery

I was actually looking at the laser to be used for spectroscopy. According to the Wikipedia article you linked, this is to be the first laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy system used for planetary science.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a hell of a time finding out more about Kepler-22 at the moment. Very little of the technical details seem to be out at this point. If only I could find out what its KOI number was then I could say more.

EDIT: OK, I think this is KOI 87, which in the data release earlier this year is the only planet candidate with a 289 day period. The other characteristics are as they were published before; today's announcement is a confirmation based on a longer data run, I would guess. That earlier data release is available here if you are a glutton for numbers. By that initial data release, the central star supposedly has as a surface temperature of 5606 K (compare Sun's 5780), a mass of 1.07 times the Sun. The orbital size is 0.877 AU. I assume the full orbital characteristics are part of the scientific data published today, that I can't find on the Web yet.

There is a scientific conference about the Kepler results so far going on at Moffett Field this week, hence the press release.

EDIT^2: Hah! Their discoveries page looks to have today's announced results. The row for Kepler-22b is a little confusing (the planetary mass is listed with an upper limit in the Earth-mass column but no upper limit indicator in the Jupiter-mass column; my guess is the latter is an error of omission), but the mass of the planet is not yet determined. There are decent reasons why that would be so (the velocity variation of the star can reasonably be expected to smaller than what existing instruments can reliably measure). The star's characteristics are updated from the earlier data release ... Temperature = 5518 K, mass = 0.970 solar masses, R = 0.979 solar radii, [Fe/H] = -0.29 (which means it's metal-poor compared to the Sun by about a factor of 2, which isn't a great deal). It looks like the orbital eccentricity was assumed to be zero in the solution (again, there's plausible reasons to make do with that assumption if the data aren't adequate to distinguish it from zero). The planet's orbital period is updated to 289.8623 days and orbital size to 0.849 AU.

EDIT^3: Finally, the surface temperature of the planet with a standard set of assumptions (which excludes any consideration of atmosphere) is 262 K. Using the same assumptions and appropriate data for Earth, you get 255 K.

I'm having a hell of a time finding out more about Kepler-22 at the moment. Very little of the technical details seem to be out at this point. If only I could find out what its KOI number was then I could say more.

EDIT: OK, I think this is KOI 87, which in the data release earlier this year is the only planet candidate with a 289 day period. The other characteristics are as they were published before; today's announcement is a confirmation based on a longer data run, I would guess. That earlier data release is available here if you are a glutton for numbers. By that initial data release, the central star supposedly has as a surface temperature of 5606 K (compare Sun's 5780), a mass of 1.07 times the Sun. The orbital size is 0.877 AU. I assume the full orbital characteristics are part of the scientific data published today, that I can't find on the Web yet.

There is a scientific conference about the Kepler results so far going on at Moffett Field this week, hence the press release.

EDIT^2: Hah! Their discoveries page looks to have today's announced results. The row for Kepler-22b is a little confusing (the planetary mass is listed with an upper limit in the Earth-mass column but no upper limit indicator in the Jupiter-mass column; my guess is the latter is an error of omission), but the mass of the planet is not yet determined. There are decent reasons why that would be so (the velocity variation of the star can reasonably be expected to smaller than what existing instruments can reliably measure). The star's characteristics are updated from the earlier data release ... Temperature = 5518 K, mass = 0.970 solar masses, R = 0.979 solar radii, [Fe/H] = -0.29 (which means it's metal-poor compared to the Sun by about a factor of 2, which isn't a great deal). It looks like the orbital eccentricity was assumed to be zero in the solution (again, there's plausible reasons to make do with that assumption if the data aren't adequate to distinguish it from zero). The planet's orbital period is updated to 289.8623 days and orbital size to 0.849 AU.

EDIT^3: Finally, the surface temperature of the planet with a standard set of assumptions (which excludes any consideration of atmosphere) is 262 K. Using the same assumptions and appropriate data for Earth, you get 255 K.

Sounds good enough to me. Let's go.

Works out to be 207 parsecs (675 light-years) away when you take the apparent magnitude and the stellar Teff and radius above, though I omitted the bolometric correction, which would push the system closer by a couple percent, I think.