More space news!

tkdguy

That wasn't something that I'd thought of before, but it makes sense. Just because something is necessary doesn't mean that there's no such thing as too much. It reminds me that things like climates and ecosystems are complex, and we should pay attention to the people who study them for a living.

I can't say that I'm surprised. I seem to recall in Sphere they talked about Oxygen being toxic at high pressure.

Not to mention, organic matter doesn't really breakdown unless you have free Oxygen in the environment. Thus, Oxidizing.

I haven't either, but since it's Crichton I reckon the book has two-dimensional characters and an anti-science theme.

It's more psychological thriller than science fiction.

Long story short:

The US Navy found something metallic under about 300 years worth of coral. They build an underwater habitat near the anomally and tunneled through the coral to find a space ship. Investigating the spaceship reveals it was built by humans some decades/centuries into the future. On board is a large golden sphere. One of the scientists finds a way to get inside the sphere. Then strange things start happening. As it turns out, the Sphere grants god-like omnipotence to humans. But this is all happening subconsciously so the people have no control over it and one by one the scientists start dying. Book ends when the three survivors (who all had gone into the sphere) consciously decided to forget about the sphere and the omnipotence. After they make the decision, the sphere blasts its way into space and leaves the solar system. It is alluded to the sphere being a test of sorts for humanity. I found the characters to be anything but 3-d (they all have psychological problems and fears and such).

My summary doesn't really do it any justice. Go. Read. The. Book.