tkdguy

Re: More space news!

I'm sure you've heard this on the news: Defunct Satellite Hits Earth

Using lava caves to build a moon base: Lunar Lava Caves as Natural Moon Bases

Speaking of the Moon: Lunar Land Grab?

As to NASA's future: NASA's Future Depends on Commercial Space Success

Finally, news about a Kuiper Belt object: "Snow White"

"When talking about a rendezvous in space, Chinese people will immediately think of the story of the cowherd and the weaver girl,"

Really? I must say that, when the first Russian and American capsules docked back in the 70's, no such folk tales came to my mind... or any media observers as I recall. If true, it does point out yet another difference in world outlook via folk history.

While sitting on the banks of the Caspian sea I have several satelite news channels to view, and I don't recall seeing anything about this, or China's space program progress on any of the big news channels - CNN, BBC etc. I wonder why? Was it only worth 15 seconds of air time, are we just so jaded or is China a country that's only to be viewed in a bad light?

Or the media is mainly focusing on

a. the Occupy Wall Street movement

b. the GOP contenders, especially about the allegations against Herman Cain, and

c. the Conrad Murray trial

CNN did air a segment on the Tiangong 1. However, it focused on the "America the Beautiful" gaffe, so you may be on to something.

The Minor Planet Center won't list it until after the event. 0.85 times the distance to the Moon isn't all that alarming. What would be cool is if it hit the Moon on the near side. Watching that would be fun.

The Minor Planet Center won't list it until after the event. 0.85 times the distance to the Moon isn't all that alarming. What would be cool is if it hit the Moon on the near side. Watching that would be fun.

That would indeed be incredible to see.

I vaguely recall that there was some written evidence of a witnessed lunar impact from the 17th century or thereabouts... something about a bright light on the moon, then it getting blurry and sprouting "horns". Damned if I can remember who wrote it though.