IST San Angelo version 2.0

Mark Rand

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: IST San Angelo version 2.0

"These stewardesses are wearing white gloves, like in the movies," Tom said as Keiko took out her digital camera.

"Yeah," Keiko said, snapping pictures. "I can't make out the insignias on their uniforms. Hopefully, April can. She has a bunch of books that her mother gave her."

"I see," Tom said. "I'll have a look in their luggage. There might be a clue there."

"Didn't think of that," Keiko admitted as Tom opened the bag. "Anything?"

"The Chicago newspaper from August 19th, 1962," he replied. "An airline timetable from Global Airlines. The logo on it matches the one on the uniform."

"Must be it, then," Keiko said. "Let's see if we can find today's newspaper, assuming, of course, that the one in the bag is todays."

"Right." They went to the desk. "Both the man and the woman here are wearing white gloves," Tom said, pointing to the bodies on the floor.

"It's a Japanese custom," Keiko said. "White gloves are worn by many people in the service industry."

Not seeing any newspapers, Tom ducked into the gift shop, grabbed a paper, looked at the clerk's hands, said, "She's wearing white gloves, too," and rejoined Keiko.

"One day while visiting' date=' April's mother told us a few stories about her life as a stewardess and even modeled some old uniforms. I remember her wearing gloves, but they were black, not white. She explained that they only wore white gloves for publicity, promotion, and advertising work. They wore black gloves while working and didn't have to keep them on while in the plane."[/quote']

Uh-oh. CBickle is NOT going to like those black gloves.....

"Let's check the restaraunt and bar," Keiko said. They did.

"The waitresses are wearing the same uniform the embassy housekeepers do," Tom said. "I've seen some hotel maids wear it, too."

"It's the Dinner Belle," Keiko said. "It comes in black and grey. Jennifer Garner, as Agent Sydney Bristow, in the second episode of the first season of Alias, and, I believe, Whoopie Goldberg wore the grey one in the beginning of the movie Burglar."

"I didn't know that," Tom said.

"Now you to," Keiko said as they walked through the ground floor and saw four conference rooms, all set up as sales rooms. The first had bridal and evening gowns, long and short gloves of various colors, and other accessories. The second had white and colored uniforms, white shoes, white and opaque stockings, and other things, including white caps and gear carried by nurses.

"When did white caps go out of style?" Tom asked.

"It started in the early 1970s in the United States," Keiko replied. "Some nurses in other countries still wear them."

"Interesting," Tom said. He took a uniform off the rack and said, "Look at this. It's identical to the ones the embassy waitresses wear."

"Yeah," Keiko said. "I saw that one on Alias, too. Nadia Santos, played by Mia Maestro, wore one in a recent episode."

(Author's note, she's wearing it in the photograph on page 54 of the March 20-26 issue of TV Guide. )

The third sales room had wigs, theatrical makeup kits, individual makeup items and books. The fourth had tights, leotards, books, music, records, tapes, top hats, formal canes and other items used by dancers.

"Let's check out the rest of the building," Tom said.

"Right," Keiko said. They did, finding more stewardess uniforms, hotel maid uniforms, which were identical to the ones they'd been looking at, belly dance costumes, Western wear, and Islamic and Japanese clothes.

"These women look like geishas," Tom commented, looking at the bodies on the floor of the room they were in.

"Let me see," Keiko said, reaching for the light strapped to her head. Like Tom's. it had both red and white LEDs and was on red, to save battery life. She switched to the white light, looked at the bodies, and returned the light to its red position. "The body on the left is a geisha. The one on the right is a maiko. It's Japanese for dancing girl and is the term for an apprentice geisha. Can you see the slight gap beteen the white makeup and the hair on the body on the right?"

"I see it," Tom replied.

"It's her own hair," Keiko replied. "Unlike geisha, a maiko usually don't wear wigs. April did, but she was permitted to do so to hide the fact that she had brown hair. That's why there is no gap between their makeup and her hair."

"Did April have to have a gap between her makeup and wig?" Tom asked.

"Of course," Keiko replied. "She only wore the wig to make it harder for people to realize that she wasn't Japanese."

"I see," Tom said. They left the hotel and walked to the next building, a university rec center. It had locker rooms, a gymnasium with a running track above it, a pool, two raquet ball courts, a fitness center with an ajacent free weight room, a sports medicine room, and a dance/aerobics room.

As they left it, a notice on the board caught Tom's eye. The cheerleaders were asked to stop by their coach's office and pick up their uniforms. "Must be a small squad," he commented after reading the notice.

"They could be in another room and just had to stop by the coach's office to get her to get their names checked off on a roster."

"Good point," Tom said.

Their next step was a church that was right across from the rec center and diagionally across from the hotel. On the main floor, a woman in Western clothes was vacuuming the sanctuary and the other people in the office and child care center were in the regular clothes for 1962. The lower floor was vacant. On the top floor, choir robes and albs were in one room, More robes were in the pastor's office. There was a nurse's office. The nurse's body was there. Like all nurses of that era, she wore a white uniform and cap. Her purse and a red-lined, navy-blue cap were on another chair. They also found the custodian's apartment. More Western clothes were in the closet.

So when does "Crisis in Pan-Dimensional Storage Unit A" happen? I'm waiting to see these guys bump into the other sets of voyeuristic prowlers currently at this mystic estate sale.

Y'know, it's like 'Shadowcat of Two Worlds' in there.

Keiko: "So, latest in a series of spiritually empowered ninja?"

April: "Yep. Comes with a mystic costume and everything. You?"

Keiko: "Oh yeah. don't even have to worrry about machine wash or anything."

Both: "Totally sweet."

So when does "Crisis in Pan-Dimensional Storage Unit A" happen? I'm waiting to see these guys bump into the other sets of voyeuristic prowlers currently at this mystic estate sale.

Y'know, it's like 'Shadowcat of Two Worlds' in there.

Keiko: "So, latest in a series of spiritually empowered ninja?"

April: "Yep. Comes with a mystic costume and everything. You?"

Keiko: "Oh yeah. don't even have to worrry about machine wash or anything."

Both: "Totally sweet."

The title and powers of Shadowcat pass through the generations, much like that of The Ghost Who Walks.

The title and powers of Shadowcat pass through the generations' date=' much like that of The Ghost Who Walks.[/quote']

Well, sure, but with your occasional resets around the time of the jaunt through the d-portal, it's easier for me to simply think of these as very similar parallel worlds, hence, the concept of the various people meeting in this interdimensional storage unit. After all, it does have buildings from various worlds as you'd mentioned repeatedly.

'Sides, it's either this or I want a walk-on by Quinn Mallory, the Professor, Remy and the rest.

Well, sure, but with your occasional resets around the time of the jaunt through the d-portal, it's easier for me to simply think of these as very similar parallel worlds, hence, the concept of the various people meeting in this interdimensional storage unit. After all, it does have buildings from various worlds as you'd mentioned repeatedly.

'Sides, it's either this or I want a walk-on by Quinn Mallory, the Professor, Remy and the rest.

The occasional resets are due to my lack of satisfaction with what I've created. Believe it or not, I had another version of the current one on paper, but junked it before posting any of it here.

The portal itself is a pocket reality and is connected only to one specific wall in IST San Angelo's fifth floor hallway.

Since all the people that were here when Keiko and Tom arrived are dead, Keiko can't meet a previous or future Shadowcat. She could, however, find their body, and, maybe recover weapons or equipment from it.

After looking around a bit more, they went to the last building in the group, a crematorium. They looked around and found three cremators and nothing, bodies, urns, and an office filled with paperwork.

As they left, Tom asked, "Did you hear the latest? Congress is letting distressed cities establish Zero Law Enforcement Zones."

"I'm sure there's some big money behind this," Keioko said.

"Yeah," Tom said as they arrived at the hotel. Suddenly, a reflection caught his eye. "What's that?"

"We should have a look," Keiko said.They folled the light, then saw, reflected in the moonlight, a Victorian glass house."

"Beautiful," Tom said.

"Yeah," Keiko said. "It remonds me of the main building of the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh's Schenley Park."

"This is the Davis Botanical Conservatory," Tom said, reading a sign. "Let's go inside."

"I'd like that."

When they entered, Tom said, "It's bright in here."

"You should wear goggles to protect your night vision," Keiko said. "Minde do that and let me see the infrared beams used in some weapon sights and security systems."

"I see," Tom said. "I like your accent."

"Thank you. When I was first became Shadowcat, I was told that my physical appearance would change, and that when I first changed, I would be naked This way, I could decide what kind of costume I wanted. I decided on a matte-black nightsuit, like ninja wear in movies. We added some high-tech toys that my clan obtained for me and a ski mask under the nightsuit's mask. That way, if I have to use a blowgun, I'm still masked."

"What kind of high-tech toys?" Tom asked.

"My clawed gloves, my goggles, devices that look like behind-the-ear hearing aids that let me here sounds that are low in volume but protect my ears from loud sounds and a radio stethoscope. The transmitter, which fits into a pocket, can also be used for bugging. The receiver, looks like an in-the-ear hearing aid."

"Very nice," Tom said. "Now that my eyes are used to the light, let's explore."

"Agreed," Keiko said, picking up a map from the counter.

They toured the building and the outside gardens, then returned to IST San Angelo.

Three hours after Tom and Keiko returned, everyone gathered in conference room to hear their report and look at the photos Keiko had shot.

"Start cremating the bodies as soon as possible," Sir John said. "Any idea where we'll put the clothes you recover?"

"The four conference rooms will do, if we can get additional clothes racks and shelves in there," Tom replied.

"We could also use the six ground-floor hoyel rooms that don't have windows," Keiko suggested.

"Good point," Tom said. "Since there's a lot of theatrical makeup, at least one could serve as a makeup room."

"Yeah," Keiko said. "We should leave the cheerleader uniforms and the choir robes and albs in the rooms we found them in."

"What about the pastor's robes? Tom asked.

"We'll put them in the room with the choir robes and albs," Keiko replied. "It'll be easier once some of the clothes are claimed by people. I know there's stuff I want and I'm sure April wants some stuff, too."

"I sure do," April admitted. "Those kimonos are beautiful."

"Get started," Sir John said.

"Understood," Keiko said. "We'll cremate the bodies in the crematorium first, then the hotel, rec center, church and the conservatory."

"Fine," Sir John said. Anything else?" Nobody else spoke. "Dismissed."

As they left the conference room, Guardian asked, "If Congress passes the `Zero-zone' law, do you think President Ryan will veto it?"

"He said that he woul," Kuntala replied. "I suspect that, if it becomes law, the Strip District will become San Angelo's zero zone. There was even a story that some of the local prostitutes might move in there and hold a own meeting to set up a legal code for the neighborhood."

"Interesting," Guardian said.

"Yes, it is," Kuntala said. "If they do so, I wonder what laws they'll come up with."

"Hopefully, something with teeth in it," Keiko said. "Of course, since they're not bound my the laws of the United States, they might have their own methods for dealing with cases that get thrown out of court because of a violation of a suspect's rights."

"Such as?" Kuntala asked.

"Truth drugs and an immediate execution," Keiko replied.

"I don't like that," Kuntala said.

"I don't blaim you," Tom said. "However, think of how many cases have been thrown out of court due to minor errors in proceedure and how much red tape occurrs between an arrest, trial, and sentencing."

"Not to mention how long some lawyers can stretch out the process, not that you would," Keiko said.

"Thanks," Kuntala said before leaving for her office.

As they left the conference room, Guardian asked, "If Congress passes the `Zero-zone' law, do you think President Ryan will veto it?"

"He said that he woul," Kuntala replied. "I suspect that, if it becomes law, the Strip District will become San Angelo's zero zone. There was even a story that some of the local prostitutes might move in there and hold a own meeting to set up a legal code for the neighborhood."

"Interesting," Guardian said.

I was under the impression that 'Zero-zones' were located places of exceptional urban decay or collapse. San Angelo is pretty bright and shiny compared to LA, Washington DC, New York or Detroit. Since San Angelo isn't likely to be unable to afford police protection, why would the city allow a Zero-zone to form within it's boundaries? It's not like this is post-quake

Gotham City or some such.

I was under the impression that 'Zero-zones' were located places of exceptional urban decay or collapse. San Angelo is pretty bright and shiny compared to LA, Washington DC, New York or Detroit. Since San Angelo isn't likely to be unable to afford police protection, why would the city allow a Zero-zone to form within it's boundaries? It's not like this is post-quake

Gotham City or some such.

Kuntala's worried about what would happen if the Strip District, San Angelo's hotbed of drugs and vice, becomes a zero-zone.

My idea is to have that neighborhood become something like the Old Town neighborhood in Frank Miller's Sin City.

Guest Major Tom

With all of the characters from various TV shows putting in appearances in

your campaign world, it wouldn't surprise me much if Glen Garth Gregory or

the boys from the Double Eagle detective agency put in some cameo ap-

pearances in your campaign in the near future.

Major Tom :winkgrin:

With all of the characters from various TV shows putting in appearances in

your campaign world, it wouldn't surprise me much if Glen Garth Gregory or

the boys from the Double Eagle detective agency put in some cameo ap-

pearances in your campaign in the near future.

Major Tom :winkgrin:

Let's see. The Double Eagle Detective Agency crew, from the TV series Outlaws, spent about a year in our era before returning to theirs. Glen Garthe Gregory, played by Lawrence Luckinbill in the 1972-1973 TV series The Delphi Bureau, has long since retired and the bureau obsorbed by some agency or other.

Actually, a lot of this is to make the world feel a bit more real. The heroes may not know about all of this stuff, but it, and more, is in the computer.

Continuing on with the thoughts from the previous post, although the heroes will have access, through the internet and the IST database, to the information I've been giving out, not everyone will be aware of all of it.

Here's a list of what, if I did a version three of the IST universe, I'd throw out of it.

The battle between the Amazons and the Romans and the museum at that site.

The French prostitute killer.

The Knights of Pendragon.

The true story of King Arthur.

The President's daughter being a circus performer.

The Tipsy Q National Wildlife Refuge.

Perfection Valley.

A Las Vegas criminologist being able to become a tiger.

The Highwayman project.

Blue Thunder.

The Foundationfor Law and Government.

The Nelson Institute of Marine Research and its special research subs.

The Queen of Swords.

The public knowing about vampire slayers.

The FBI looking for a high-tech assault helicopter.

Susan Stafford being a possible reason for women still wearing gloves.

Boing'sEnterprise space shuttle.

The Vulture.