Horror Hero rant

nexus

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Horror Hero rant

Hi All,

I've allways found horror games, ie; COC & it's like, to be an excellent wake-up call to players who were used to 'immortal'- chararcters*.

Many enjoyed the change of pace and as a temp game it was an excellent way of prepeparing gamers for a tougher game, IE: one where thier characters could die!

*characters the GM couldn't bring himself to kill

Regards,

Rover.

• 5 years later...

Sorry for the extreme threadromancy, but I just read the collection 'On Her Majesty's Occult Service' and in trying to find more, came across an e-book CoC-based RPG that uses Stross's setting. I purchased a copy and have already started incorporating elements into my conspiratorial Champions game:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=83956

He plays a companion. We made up our own Time Lord (The Drifter) for this campaign, who will change hands between the players over time. That said, the other players (this one included) started off playing as themselves. Naturally, he's the only one who cannot seem to actually play himself because he cannot seem to swallow his ego and emotionally immerse himself into the game for better or worse like everyone else. I don't know what's worse, that the game is held at his house (it developed after Series 5 ended) or that this is his girlfriend's first RPG experience and she's already better at it than he is.

That said, I do mix it up, being that Doctor Who isn't all horror. I think the best description of my current style is Douglas Adams meets HP Lovecraft.