[Newbie] Some help with combat maneuvers

Andrea

Hi,

I have some problem in the use of combat maneuvers and maybe someone here can help me. In the table of page 254 the Sweep Maneuver is stated as a 1 Phase action then in the description the rulebook says "Characters may use sweep with most combat maneuvers. For example, a character can sweep Disarm several enemies"

But Disarm is a 1/2 phase maneuver, wouldn't in this case the character operate a 1+1/2 phase in a segment ?? A thing that I understand is strictly forbidden from what I read at pag 233 "Full Phase action take character's entire phase; he can do nothing else"

At this point I'm quite sure I missed something very important and since I'm a a week away from my first Gm of Hero I don't want to blot a long career as a Master by taking wrong calls in crucial moments :whistle:

Thanks

Ciao

Re: [Newbie] Some help with combat maneuvers

Sweep is in some ways a modifier of other maneuvers. The basic Sweep is, in fact, a Sweep Strike. Sweep takes any Zero Phase or Half Phase Maneuver, and allows you to do it multiple times. Doing it multiple times makes it take a Full Phase. So, a Disarm takes a Half Phase. A Sweep Disarm takes a Full Phase, to do many Disarms. Don't think of it as doing a Sweep and then doing a Disarm, which would take 1 1/2 Phases. Think of it as a completely different maneuver - a Sweep Disarm. Same applies to Sweep Grab, Sweep Strike, etc. Maneuvers which take longer than a Full Phase (Haymaker, etc.) cannot be Swept.

That's my understanding, I could be wrong.

Yep you missed something, but don't worry a lot of people miss it. You need to read the part on "Multiple Power Attacks."

Basically, "Multiple Power Attacks" allow a character to make several attacks all at the same time, all at the same target, with the proviso that the character only makes one attack roll and the attack roll for both attacks are based on the same characteristic.

An example of this is the idea of the sweep/disarm. Since the character can do two attacks he can do a sweep & Disarm since both attacks use DEX as the basis of OCV.

Note this means you could, with GM permission, Grab-Disarm, Sweep-Grab-Disarm, Sweep-Move By etc.

Read the part on Multiple Power Attacks.

Hello Andrea, welcome to Herodom assembled. Or somesuch. :)

I think Citizen Keen has the truth of the sweep manoeuvre. It is a bit complicated, but it is an optional one so you can always just stick with basic manoeuvres until you feel more confident as to how it all works.

If you sweep anything other than a basic strike don't forget the penalties also accumulate. If you do 2 disarms then you would be at -4 each, not -2

With due deference to the illustrious Herolover, I'm not sure it is strictly the same as a multiple power attack, although there are many similarities.

Q: Are multiple-Power attack and Sweep just two different wordings of the same rule?

A: Sweep and multiple-Power attack are not two wordings of the same rule. They are two different rules. A multiple-Power attack, which the rules specifically limit to a single target, allows two or more Maneuvers/powers to be used against that one target as part of a single attack. A Sweep generally applies to two or more targets and involves the use of a single Maneuver/power, though the rules have optional provisions for Sweeps involving multiple Maneuvers/Powers. The rules do allow for Sweeps against a single target, but these are rare and generally involve things like Sweep Grabbing multiple limbs or Sweep Disarming multiple weapons.