Dark champions to champions

Guest tahititex

Guest tahititex

I like some of the dark champions characters like Harbinger and Card Shark and I want to use them in Champions but all there powers dont apply like the resource points. So how would you represent the resource points in a Champions campaign were you have to pay for everything.

Re: Dark champions to champions

Since this isn't a rules question so much as it is a "how to," I've moved it so that other folx can participate in the discussion if they like.

Seems to me the simplest solutions would be (a) give them a big fat pile of extra points, or (B) a big fat Variable Power Pool. But I'm sure other posters will have other suggestions. ;)

Re: Dark champions to champions

Resource Points: This is the main thing I've stolen for Dark Champions. I basically asked myself, "If it works in one game... why not in another?"

My current game has 500 point supers, all members of UNITE... an international superteam created by UNTIL. Each of them have at least 10 points spent as "Equipment Pool" and I've just noted that such equipment is GM fiat, and should make sense for the story and character. One character actually carries a sidearm and sometimes a rifle with this... other use it for back up radios... paramedics kits... etc. I basically say, "If you spent your 10 points, give me a list, and I'll handwave it unless something really pops out."

They don't get super-tech... just standard issue... but I've seen some clever uses. One character, Coal... think The Thing, but gets heated up when hit by energy... spends his Equipment Pool on a kevlar backpack with fire retardent blankets and huge kevlar oven mits... so when he is burning, he can still help carry people without hurting them. I thought this was a brilliant little bit of creative use of equipment.

The one thing I do with this, is make all weapons here "Real Weapon" which for me means they often have lesser effects... like all pistols are -1 Stun Multiplier, etc. Characters who are "gun" characters still buy their major weapons with points, but also have an Equipment pool for back-up weapons or other gear. Real weapons get destroyed in area effect blasts, or lost when doing tripple back-flips between skyscrapers, etc. Gun paid for with points... those stick around a lot longer, have to be specifically targeted, etc.

Basically, I have found NOTHING abusive about translating Resource Points into actual Champs level games. Basically because it becomes fleshing out of character at that level, as compared to strategic power munchkin points.

YMMV, but don't be afraid to try it out and see what happens. The gun-bunny character MIGHT feel like they are getting screwed, points wise. If that happens... the resource points go away.

Good luck.