[Newbie] problem figuring out this power

Andrea

Hi,

so I've read the rules, pestered people on the board and bought the snack for my first Hero session,

I started asking to my players which kind of character do they like to create ( we do creation together becasuse my players rarely read a single rule... they learn by gaming...lazy guys)

The first three were very easy ( a Flash here, a Energy beam there..) and It was getting to my head ( Wow I learnt the game !!)

Then the last one rises up and says " I want to control trees and flowers".

GM: Control what ?? Would'nt you like better a speedster ???

PLAYER: NO I want to control tree !!

So I flipped trough the book for a solution but... so far I was not able to get a satisfying solution. Can you help me ?

Grazie

PS By the way Control Mind does not comprehend Vegetation, I wonder if trees can be considered in the control mind group...

Re: [Newbie] problem figuring out this power

Welcome aboard!

I have some suggestions regarding your tree powers. Well first of course is to check out the Super Power Database on plant control. But some ideas of the top of my head are to build standard powers. Entangle, Telekinesis, etc with the OIF (Tree/Plant of Opportunity) limitation. On top of course the mental abilities to control sentient plants/trees if that suits your campaign. I hope this helped.

Raizer

Controling trees would be a SPX for certian powers like

Entangle

inderect EB vs PD

Summon "moving tree monster"

there are a lot more but I have not had my first cup of coffee yet :o

Telekinesis, with the limitation "Target must be near a tree or other plant."

The special effect is that the tree branches reach down and grab somebody. You might also apply a few other limitations, like physical manifestation, to reflect that other bad guys can try to destroy the tree.

If he wants to have a tree walking around and beating on people for him, you could use Summon. Just write up a character sheet for a walking tree critter.

If he wants to have mostly plant based powers, this would probably make a good Elemental Control, if you feel like you're ready to tackle something like that.

Hi.. This sounds like the perfect time to apply one of Heros' Cardinal Rules, "Reasoning from Effect".

Ask the player what he sees his character being able to do by controlling plants. For example, say he wants vines to erupt from the ground and grab someone... Well, that sounds like Telekinesis or entangle.. Maby even Stretching with Extra Limbs if the vines come from his own hex or body.

If the character wants plants to tell him who's been doing what in the area lately, that fits the bill for Clairsentience.

Making a giant redwood erupt from the ground to block attacks? You could do it with forcewall, but since FW has a continous end cost, how about Summon?

So, find out what the character wants to do, descriptive wise, and then craft a power to match the effect. Sometimes, rarely, you have to use a kludgy kind of power construct, but if you as the gm understand what he's going for you can simply wave your hand to make it work right.

Good Luck - CraterMaker

I think the perfect power for this would be Ent-tangle...Get it?: EntTangle!!HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!(Realizes no one else is laughing at corny joke attempt--slinks off quietly)...
That's the point of a pun. You're supposed to be the only one laughing. A pun's quality is directly proportional to the groans solicited from the audience... ;)