TravellerHERO PDF in the works

Eodin

Shadowcat1313 and I have gotten the okay from Traveller's Marc Miller to put together a PDF of TravellerHERO. It'll be writeups of all things Traveller for use in HERO/Star Hero. Shadowcat1313 and I (and a few other Traveller gurus he knows) will be collaborating on this effort, and the file PDF will reside with Shadowcat1313's files on StarHeroFandom.

No details on the when yet, I've just built the cover and stylesheets in InDesign, and we have to get the content written and collected.

Long Live Star Hero!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: TravellerHERO PDF in the works

Eodin, I have a document I made for converting generated Traveller characters to HERO. I don't know how "accurate" it is, but we had a good time converting some Traveller characters with it.

(The game didn't last; I'm rusty on running Traveller, and didn't do well with the adventure I set the group.)

If you want it, let me know.

I also have copies of a bunch of guns and equipment conversions from various places, if those would help you.

Eagerly awaiting an "official" Traveller conversion.

I think this will be cool; I would like to revisit Traveller with my group someday.

Shadowcat1313 and I have gotten the okay from Traveller's Marc Miller to put together a PDF of TravellerHERO. It'll be writeups of all things Traveller for use in HERO/Star Hero. Shadowcat1313 and I (and a few other Traveller gurus he knows) will be collaborating on this effort, and the file PDF will reside with Shadowcat1313's files on StarHeroFandom.

No details on the when yet, I've just built the cover and stylesheets in InDesign, and we have to get the content written and collected.

Long Live Star Hero!

That's just too awesome. Traveller has to be the single most "officially converted" game ever.

I am somewhere beyond ecstatic to see this project get the go ahead, being able to merge my two favorite game systems

its only official in that we have marcs blessing in creating it, I get the impression that lots of folks that play Hero also have played or play traveller, or at least have had reason to read over the books.

hopefully we can help bring new players to both Hero and traveller, and help sell more books for everybody involved, getting new players is never a bad thing.

I figure we wont touch any of hte Digest Group material due to it involving a different copyright unfortunately

I honestly think we can make this into a definite useful asset for the Hero community, not just for folks playing traveller in it

Eodin, I have a document I made for converting generated Traveller characters to HERO. I don't know how "accurate" it is, but we had a good time converting some Traveller characters with it.

(The game didn't last; I'm rusty on running Traveller, and didn't do well with the adventure I set the group.)

If you want it, let me know.

I also have copies of a bunch of guns and equipment conversions from various places, if those would help you.

Eagerly awaiting an "official" Traveller conversion.

I think this will be cool; I would like to revisit Traveller with my group someday.

Sure... post them or post an attachment with them , and we'll see how it fits in with the rest of the stuff.

hopefully we can help bring new players to both Hero and traveller, and help sell more books for everybody involved, getting new players is never a bad thing.

I honestly think we can make this into a definite useful asset for the Hero community, not just for folks playing traveller in it

That's my hope as well. Oh, and just to be sure everyone understands, where we have custom packages and gadgets, they will be included; where we mention that a package deal or weapon from Star Hero, Alien Wars, Dark Champions is appropriate, it will get a book and page reference but not be included verbatim -- just like I did with Star Trek Hero. We know people hate having to look in several books, or not having the book a package or gadget is referenced from, but we really do want people to buy HERO books and not step on intellectual property. (And we want them to buy Traveller books too, Marc).

(And we want them to buy Traveller books too' date=' Marc).[/quote']

Well, now, this being the case, I'd definitely suggest a way to convert spaceships built using the Traveller system, rather than converting the system entirely into Hero, so that players need to have the Traveller books to build a ship. Of course, this is also a lot easier, which is another reason I prefer to do things this way....

Outside of spaceship generation, and maybe random lifeform generation, pretty much everything else is either very crunchy and therefore can't be converted without making the Traveller writeup virtually unnecessary (ie weapons), or else it's almost totally outside the scope of the Hero system core rules and therefore nigh unconvertable (ie economic rules ala Merchant Prince).

we will definately cover starship conversions, Starships and Vehicles being one of my areas pf specialty

heres a good questions... which version of the planet building rules are we going to use?

classic traveller book 3

classic traveller book 6[scouts] or Megatraveller whch are about the same

TNE World Tamers Handbook

You guys have probably already gotten this far, but here's a little bit of mathematickin' I did once.

Jump 1 = 170 light-years per year = 25 pts

Jump 2 = 339 ly/y = 27 pts

Jump 3 = 509 ly/y = 28 pts

Jump 4 = 678 ly/y = 29 pts

Jump 5 = 848 ly/y = 29 pts

Jump 6 = 1018 ly/y = 30 pts

I tried to keep this mathematically correct, but that makes the point costs a little weird. It may be better to make Jump 2 through 4 all cost one point less, so as to avoid Jump 4 and 5 costing the same.

And, as per my earlier suggestion, prices and weights of all Jump engines are as per the Traveller books everyone should already own.

EDIT: for that matter, this is just base cost...doesn't include the 1 week minimum to get anywhere, or the Focus limitations....

we can get into the mechanics of builidng them later, if you check the examples at Star Hero fandom, it will show how I modeled the drives already, see what you think of that and get back to me, I never really got any feedback on it, so I just assumed everybody was ok with it

as far as the conversions I already posted, some version notes:

the batttledress suits are taken from Emperors Arsenal for T4

the robots are from Vampire Fleets for TNE

the Terrapin Meson Sled and the Sunburst MRL are from TNE, but carry the same names as vehicles in the GT book, if this might prove an issue, a name change should suffice, they were built from the TNE data not the GT data, there are several vehicles with names that overlap versions/systems... is this something to worry about? just worried about ruffling feathers etc

the Z-80 laser tank is a MT design that was hinted at in Journal #9 but no stats were provided

the pyrrhus is another TNE design

Well, now, this being the case, I'd definitely suggest a way to convert spaceships built using the Traveller system, rather than converting the system entirely into Hero, so that players need to have the Traveller books to build a ship. Of course, this is also a lot easier, which is another reason I prefer to do things this way....

Outside of spaceship generation, and maybe random lifeform generation, pretty much everything else is either very crunchy and therefore can't be converted without making the Traveller writeup virtually unnecessary (ie weapons), or else it's almost totally outside the scope of the Hero system core rules and therefore nigh unconvertable (ie economic rules ala Merchant Prince).

There's definitely going to be information on conversion from Traveller to HERO --- characters, ships, etc. --- plus ships, vehicles, robots, etc. written up in HERO.

When I'm talking about reference vs. rewrite, here's a contrived example of what I mean.

Imperial Army

For a straight conversion, use the package below. For a more HERO feel, use the Basic Training package deal from Dark Champions page 38, and add PS: Vacc Suit 11-.

Army Template

Cost Skill

2.........WF: Small Arms

2........PS: Soldier 11-

6........Choose 6 points from the following list: Stealth, Concealment, Brawling

10.....Package Cost

That's the kind of thing I mean.

after reviewing Tancreds Character generation doc, I have to say it should work far better than what I wrote before, I want to add some things to it, but I think it will make a great base to work from

one thing I was debating was adding the rule from TNE about contacts

TNE gives characters 1 basic contact per term of service.

couple of other skills to look at how to model

Recon:

Jack of All Trades:

my first thought has been a +1 overall level but it doesnt quite cover what the skill does in traveller

Forward Observer

Battledress: is this a transport familiarity and a piloting roll? this could also provide negative levels to negate armor penalties, same with Vacc Suit

Gravitics: treat as a seperate skill like Mechanics or Electronics

Engineering: same as per Gravitics

Naval Architecture: KS os SS?

Zero G Combat: treat this as environmental movement Zero G?

Carousing: sorta like conversation but based on con?

Tactics: I've always wanted to see Tactics subdivided, Fleet Tactics is a seperate skill

Modified Weapon Fam groups

Combat Rifileman:

Laser Weapons:

High Energy Weapons:

Schools and Special Assignments:

Commando School

Protected Forces School

Attache/Aide:

Flight School

Medical School

ROTC/NROTC:

Naval War College

Contact School

Survey School

after reviewing Tancreds Character generation doc, I have to say it should work far better than what I wrote before, I want to add some things to it, but I think it will make a great base to work from

one thing I was debating was adding the rule from TNE about contacts

TNE gives characters 1 basic contact per term of service.

Then Thanks Tancred! Good stuff is what we're after :)

If you're debating it, my 2 cents is we put it as an Option on the package deal.

couple of other skills to look at how to model

Recon:

Jack of All Trades:

my first thought has been a +1 overall level but it doesnt quite cover what the skill does in traveller

Forward Observer

Battledress: is this a transport familiarity and a piloting roll? this could also provide negative levels to negate armor penalties, same with Vacc Suit

Gravitics: treat as a seperate skill like Mechanics or Electronics

Engineering: same as per Gravitics

Naval Architecture: KS os SS?

Zero G Combat: treat this as environmental movement Zero G?

Carousing: sorta like conversation but based on con?

Tactics: I've always wanted to see Tactics subdivided, Fleet Tactics is a seperate skill

Modified Weapon Fam groups

Combat Rifileman:

Laser Weapons:

High Energy Weapons:

Schools and Special Assignments:

Commando School

Protected Forces School

Attache/Aide:

Flight School

Medical School

ROTC/NROTC:

Naval War College

Contact School

Survey School

Recon = Tracking + Concealment + Stealth.

Jack Of All Trades is +1 Overall Level and ??

Forward Observer is a PS, INT-Based, complimentary to the artilleryman's firing skill or perhaps Systems Op: Weapon type skill.

Battledress: Yes, I think so.

more later...

My pleasure, guys! Glad it's something you can use.

I'm sure it needs some additional work; feel free to change and adapt it as you feel appropriate.

If you want help doing HD files (when you get to that point), please let me know. I would be glad to help in any way I can.

Did I mention that I'm excited about this? :)