TravellerHERO PDF in the works

Eodin

Re: TravellerHERO PDF in the works

Am I correct in assuming y'all are going to convert all of the Major Races and some (hopefully a bunch) of the Minor Races?

I only have a couple of the Major Race modules, and none of the MT or TNE modules for other races, but I'd really like to see conversions of as many races/creatures as possible.

I do have a couple of the articles from the Journal on minor races; I'll look at what their conversions would involve.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe so, unless Shadowcat1313 says otherwise.

I don't have any of the CT race books, but I do have TNE and GURPS:T

A lot of my research will be online, and any tidbits that get posted for reference.

definately all the major races, I figure we can either skip the minors or do them on request if nothing else.

lets use CT or MT stats where possible, there are some races that crop up in GT that are GT only, and we should probably avoid... to avoid friction with the GT folks, several races in GT were originally from Spacemaster actually, they were in the Aliens and Artirfacts book and later ported to GT by David Pulver who wrote the original SM versions also.

Heavy Military Technology Tech Tree:

5: Machine Guns, Trench Mortars, Breech Loading Field Artillery, Early Tanks

(snip)

Most of this list isn't really a part of the Traveller rules, at least not the little black books. Are there plans on working these up, at least in a general sense (ie not "M60 tank", "T-72 tank", etc, but "Tech level 6 tank")?

Some of it, at least, is touched on in Pulp era games on through the modern era, but I, for one, would think it would be interesting to have a table showing the differences in military tech, and speaking as a wargamer, it would be cool to be able to set up a combat between units of different tech levels (making me think of Hammer's Slammers here...)

Ah well, time for bed.

the timeline etc is taken from the Megatraveller Referees companion, and my intent here was to show the TL system in Traveller as compared to the ATRI system in Star Hero

for generic vehicles, and a generic TL-6 tank, use the WW2 Panther, its actually the example vehicle used in Striker book 3 to illustrate the basic vehicle design system, somebody posted a design of it on one of the other boards

for a generic jet fighter, use the F-18 Hornet from Ultimate Vehicles

as a TL-7/8 jet aircraft, although Striker used the F-4 Phantom

for TL-7 and 8 generic tank and APC, use the M1 Abrams and M2 Bradley

and just substitute different weapons or powerplants etc as needed.

these arent perfect examples, but will do the job just fine

TNE had something called the Prairie Fire Tank TL-8, looked like a russian T-72 roughly, and you could again use an M1, just add flare and chaff launchers to supplement the smoke dischargers, and a short range radar

and you would have about the same vehicle, Also upgrade the main guns fire control system and stabilization

there was a series of vehicle guide books called "The Adjutant" that had a wide variety of useful vehicles for Striker/Traveller and date to the late eighties IIRC, Each guide dealt with a specific type

Grav

Air Cushion

Tracked

Wheeled

Waterborne

Support

Infantry weapons and light vehicles

Aircraft and Orbital

I have the whole set

the vehicles were all designed at TL-13 IIRC

I hear that - my little one's teething and has a cold.

Here's what I've added on the race stuff...

Droyne Leader Caste Racial Template

Cost Powers

6 +6 INT

3 +3 PRE

10 Small and Hard To Hit: +2 with DCV

3 Small and Easily Hidden: +2 with Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)

4 Small And Hard To Percieve: +2 with Stealth

45 Five 150-point Followers

Disadvantages

-5 -5 STR

-9 -3 DEX

-8 -4 BODY

-4 Small: -2†Running

Droyne Sport Caste Racial Template

Cost Powers

3 Small and Easily Hidden: +2 with Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)

Disadvantages

-5 -5 STR

-10 -5 BODY

Droyne Technician Caste Racial Template

Cost Powers

2 +2 INT

6 +2 DEX

Disadvantages

-6 -6 STR

-12 -6 BODY

Droyne Worker Caste Racial Template

Cost Powers

Disadvantages

-10 -5 BODY

-15 Psychological Limitation: Difficulty making decisions, needs direction (Very Common, Moderate)

Droyne Warrior Caste Racial Template

Cost Powers

9 +3 DEX

Disadvantages

-2 -2 STR

-6 -3 BODY

K'kree Racial Template

Cost Powers

10 +10 STR

12 +4 DEX

10 +5 CON

10 +5 BODY

3 +3 PRE

7 Kick: Hand-To-Hand Attack +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½)

6 Long Legs: Running +3" (9" total)

5 Physical Limitation: Large, 4m, -2 DCV, +2 to PER Rolls to be seen (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

5 Physical Limitation: Unusual Form; makes some tasks difficult (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

15 Psychological Limitation: Gregarious, must stay in groups (Common, Strong)

15 Psychological Limitation: Claustrophobic (Common, Strong)

Vargr Racial Template

Cost Powers

-2 Vargr Strength, -2 STR

6 +2 DEX

3 Vargr Senses: +1 PER with all Sense Groups

6 Vargr Nose: +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group

10 Vargr Nose: Tracking with Smell/Taste Group

4 Vargr Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (½d6 w/STR) (5 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-¼)

6 Vargr Ears: +3 PER with Hearing Group

3 Vargr Ears: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)

6 Vargr Legs: Running +3" (9" total)

-5 Physical Limitation: Night Blindness (x2 Effect from Night Modifiers) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)

-10 Vulnerability: 1 1/2 x Effect from Interaction Skills and PRE Attacks -- Easily Swayed (Common)

for the Vargr template. should we include a disad or just a note about the vargr tendency towards a pack mentality?

Surbrooks site has the Panther writeup I brought up in my last post

couple of things I've noticed about Star Hero vehicles as compared to Traveller vehicles, at least going by whats in the basic book, and the Terran Empire book

1. traveller grav vehicles are faster and more maneuverable, but dont have the forecefields the SH/TE vehicles come with.

2. Traveller vehicles have more sensors with longer range, most SH/TE vehicles dont have radar, whereas all traveller grav vehicles and a lot of ground vehicles have short range radar

For the minor races, I present the Ael Yael (Contact!, JTAS #15):

Ael Yael Package Deal

11 Ael Yael Wings: Flight 10†(20 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), Limited Power Affected by atmospheric density and gravity (-¼)

2 +1 Enhanced Perception (Sight Group)

5 Ael Yael Eyes: Nightvision

2 Ael Yael Eyes: Flash Defense (Sight Group; 2 points)

6 Forelimbs and Tail: Extra Limbs, Inherent (+¼) (6 Active Points)

4 Ael Yael Claws: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 point (½d6 w/STR) (5 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-¼)

2 +1 OCV with wings

-2 -2 STR

-4 -2 BODY

-5 Physical Limitation: Small, down to half human size (1m, or 1/2 "; +3" KB) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

-5 Physical Limitation: Difficulty utilizing cover Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

Options

-5 Psychological Limitation: Claustrophobic

-15 Psychological Limitation: Turns over most earnings to government (Common, Strong)

-15 Psychological Limitation: Distrusts merchants and corporations (Common, Strong)

I have a question. The Contact! article says: "in hand-to-hand combat they can use their tail as a club, their wings as club-2, and their hind-leg talons as claws-1."

Would you give an HtH Skill Level for any of those?

Feel free to criticize, question, or change anything you think needs it.

for the Vargr template. should we include a disad or just a note about the vargr tendency towards a pack mentality?

I forgot to add that...yeah, it should be a Psych Lim

couple of things I've noticed about Star Hero vehicles as compared to Traveller vehicles, at least going by whats in the basic book, and the Terran Empire book

1. traveller grav vehicles are faster and more maneuverable, but dont have the forecefields the SH/TE vehicles come with.

2. Traveller vehicles have more sensors with longer range, most SH/TE vehicles dont have radar, whereas all traveller grav vehicles and a lot of ground vehicles have short range radar

Viva la difference ;) So did you want to write up the new vehicles, or just write up and note the added equipment?

I have a question. The Contact! article says: "in hand-to-hand combat they can use their tail as a club, their wings as club-2, and their hind-leg talons as claws-1."

Would you give an HtH Skill Level for any of those?

Yeah, I'd say that [Lvl - 1] lvls, so +1 CSL with wings.

I'd say just write it up as a generic TL-6 tank, and add the equipment upgrades as options

I did forget one thing, another option would be reactive armor kits, In TNE reactive armor kits would be a really common option, and be easily manufactured locally by most worlds, or imported from off world as field mod kits

I have a megacorp based in Solomani space, that sells a lot of medium TL vehicles and add on kits to upgrade older vehicles, most of the upgrades are either sensors and commo kits, reactive armor, or Advanced ammo for existing weapon systems.

I would post the basics about my megacorp, but it was published already in 101 Corporations by BITS

I'll do them next.

I have the following Minor Races from Contact! articles:

AEL YAEL (JTAS #15) already done

THE DARRIANS (JTAS #14) superseded by a module?

THE DYNCHIA (JTAS #24)

THE GIRUG’KAGH (JTAS #21)

THE GITHIASKIO (JTAS #16)

THE HLANSSAI (JTAS #22)

THE IRKLAN (JTAS #23)

THE JGD-LL-JAGD (JTAS #17)

NEWTS (JTAS #11)

THE SWORD WORLDERS (JTAS #18) superseded by a module?

THE VIRUSHI (JTAS #12)

Any preferences, after the Virushi? (I plan on doing them all, eventually.)

Good stuff Tancred !

Don't forget when you get them ready, we need paragraphs on Biology, Homeworld, and Society ala Terran Empire. Since I don't have those JTAS, you'll need to come up with the paraphrased paragraphs.

I'm excited - this seems thing seems to be moving along really well. :)

Argh!

That's what I get for assuming you'd have those issues of JTAS.

Ack. Paraphrase. Choke. Cough. Ugh.

OK. Knew this was looking too easy. :)

Don't guess the fact that you got permission from MM means I can just copy and paste the text from the (scanned) JTAS article, does it?

Oh, and another question.

I'm doing these in Hero Designer (makes it a lot easier to get the costs right).

Should I do them as a Prefab, or a Template?

And do you want the HD files posted here, or should I send them privately?

Argh!

That's what I get for assuming you'd have those issues of JTAS.

Ack. Paraphrase. Choke. Cough. Ugh.

OK. Knew this was looking too easy. :)

Don't guess the fact that you got permission from MM means I can just copy and paste the text from the (scanned) JTAS article, does it?

Oh, and another question.

I'm doing these in Hero Designer (makes it a lot easier to get the costs right).

Should I do them as a Prefab, or a Template?

And do you want the HD files posted here, or should I send them privately?

Probably not a good idea to just copy and paste. But if you send me the scanned info in a private email, I'll be happy to put in the paraphrased info.

If there weren't negative CHA mods, I'd say just do a prefab, but since there are I'd do both. Send those to me in a private email, and I'll make sure Shadowcat1313 gets a copy so they can be posted to his TravellerHERO page when we're ready.

email me at robert_bruce@comcast.net

and if I didn't say it before, THANKS!

no real preference on the alien races as far as order

Darriens have an aliens module of their own

Sworld Worlds got a GT book to themselves

I have the Darriens book here, havent gotten the SW book for GT yet surprisingly,

the Darriens are another minor human race, except for the fact they are to an extent TL-16, and possess a weapon called the Star Trigger, that depending on which version of Traveller your playing can be a major superweapon, or a hoax that they have regained use of this weapon, suffice to say it does just what the name calls it, and that the experiment that

proved it worked wiped out a large part of the race in the process

while they dont have anti-matter they do have advanced gravitic technology and tractor beams, the droyne being the only race mentioned in all of traveller that has used anti-matter for anything beyond experimenting at least so far

Probably not a good idea to just copy and paste. But if you send me the scanned info in a private email, I'll be happy to put in the paraphrased info.

If there weren't negative CHA mods, I'd say just do a prefab, but since there are I'd do both. Send those to me in a private email, and I'll make sure Shadowcat1313 gets a copy so they can be posted to his TravellerHERO page when we're ready.

email me at robert_bruce@comcast.net

and if I didn't say it before, THANKS!

we should start coordinating with Aroo on this, I keep the page up at Starhero fandom

My pleasure, guys! Glad to do anything I can for this project.

Thank you for getting it started.

Now I've got my co-GM excited about it; he can hardly wait for me to run TravellerHero. I told him we have to wait until the doc comes out, though. That was a big problem for me last time, not having all the material converted that I wanted.

Imperial Army and Marine School and Other assignments

Commando School:

+1D6 HA

+1 Ranged Combat Skill Level

+1 Blade Combat SL

Demolitions

Survival

Recon

KS: Vacc Suit

KS: Instruction

Protected Forces Training

Zero G Environmental Movement

+1 with Zero G Combat

Breakfall

Military Inteligence School:

Forgery

Bribery

Streetwise

Interrogation

KS: Inteligence Analysis

Language: 2 pt of choice

Command College:

Tactics

Oratory

KS: Leadership

Recon

Staff College:

Bureaucratics

Computer Programming

KS: Combat Engineering

KS: Logistics

Recruiting Duty:

Bureaucratics

Persuasion

KS: Recruiting

Military Attache/Aide

Bureaucratics

Computer Programming

High Society

TF: Grav or Wheeled

Legation/Embassy Duty[extra of my design, marines only]:

High Society

KS: Culture of World/Race Stationed on

KS: Riot Control Tactics

Streetwise

Security Systems

Ships Troops:[Extra, Marines Only]

KS: Emergency Damage Control

WF: Ships Weapons

KS: Imperial Navy Procedures and Protocols

KS: Boarding Actions

Training Cadre[More Common to Army and Special Forces]

KS: Instruction

Language: 2 pt varying on where stationed

KS: Culture of world/race

Leadership

Tactics

As requested, here are the Virushi:

Virushi Package Deal

Cost Powers

15 Greater Strength: +15 STR

6 Greater Mass: +3 BODY

6 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -3"

5 More Impressive: +5 PRE

12 Long Legs: Running +6" (12" total) (12 Active Points)

3 Tougher: +3 ED

4 Reach: Stretching 1", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (7 Active Points); Always Direct (-¼), No Noncombat Stretching (-¼), No Velocity Damage (-¼)

6 Extra Arms, Legs, and a Tail: Extra Limbs (5), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points)

9 Highly Dexterous: +3 DEX

21 Armored Hide: Armor (7 PD/7 ED)

7 Hooves: HA +2d6 (10 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-½)

4 Good with Natural Weapons: Rapid Attack (HTH) (5 Active Points); Limited Power Only with Body Weaponry (-¼)

10 Physical Limitation: Enormous, up to four times human size (8m, or 2.1-4"; -4 DCV, +4 to PER Rolls to perceive) Frequently, Slightly Impairing

15 Physical Limitation: Poor Eyesight, suffers -2 to all Sight PER Rolls except in high-grav environments Frequently, Greatly Impairing

10 Physical Limitation: Poor Hearing, suffers -2 to all Hearing PER Rolls except in high-grav environments Frequently, Slightly Impairing

10 Physical Limitation: High Metabolism / Must eat a lot (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)

Options

15 Psychological Limitation: Gentle / Non-aggressive (Common, Strong)

20 Psychological Limitation: Does Not Take Orders / Expects Cooperation (Common, Total)

15 Psychological Limitation: Individualistic / Not Ambitious (Common, Strong)

Note: Since the Virushii are peaceful and non-aggressive by nature, they naturally gravitate toward positions in the medical or scientific fields.

Most Virushii should have the Scholar or Scientist Skill Enhancers (or even both of them).

Most Virushii should have Knowledge and/or Science Skills in either the medical profession or a scientific field of study.

I'm not totally sold on their combat abilities (Armor and the Rapid Attack), but it seems to fit the descriptions given in the article.

Please note that I've listed the Psychological Limitations as Options, although the article describes them as characteristic of all Virushi.

Any feedback gratefully accepted.

Since the Sword Worlders and Darrians have their own modules (which I don't have), I will not convert them from the Contact! articles.

Next up: The Newts (from JTAS #11).

And now, the Newts:

Newt Package Deal

Cost Powers

3 Easily Hidden: +2 to Concealment (4 Active Points); Self Only (-½)

10 Hard To Hit: +2 with DCV

4 Hard To Perceive: +2 to Stealth

-5 Less Impressive: -5 PRE (-5 Active Points)

-2 Shorter Legs: Running -1" (-2 Active Points)

-5 Weaker: -5 STR (-5 Active Points)

-5 Physical Limitation: Small, down to half human size (1m, or 1/2"; +3" KB) Infrequently, Slightly Impairing

-20 Physical Limitation: Must Keep Skin Moist (All the Time, Greatly Impairing)

-15 Distinctive Features: Newt (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses)

Options

15 Psychological Limitation: Obsessed With Minutiae, Patterns, And The Order Of Things (Common, Strong)

All of their "Powers" are from the Bestiary Size: Small template. I was unsure if they were really small enough to take this, but decided to use it.

As with the Virushi, the Psych Lim is listed by JTAS as common to all Newts.