Multiple Weilders

Blue Angel

We have rules for multiple attackers but what about multiple wielders?

What if...

A group of hero's want to pick up a giants club and use it?

A number of tiny attackers with weapons too small to dent chain mail pick up one of the hero's spears and, together, thrust the spear into the hero's armor.

The nasties are trying to batter down the gates of your keep with a 30 foot battering ram.

I think the rules would be simple.

For wielders of equal strength add 5 points of strength for every 2X weilders. Subject to a limit of the number of weilders that can effectively grasp the weapon. Base OCV is the average of the OCV's of the group. Optionally the GM may choose to assign an "anchor" weilder as the main decider of OCV.

In order to weild effectively a teamwork skill roll is required. If one wielder fails the attack is at -1 to hit. For every 2X that fail the role there is another -1 to hit. For attacking static targets such as weilding a battering ram against a door OCV penalties are halved rounding down. Note that if there is no teamwork skill in the group then full OCV penalties apply, or half full OCV penalties against large static targets like that door. Multiple wielders are at 1/2 DCV.

It looks ballanced to me. A group only gets one larger attack with likely OCV and some DCV penalties. But it may allow an attack to be effective where normally little or no effect will occur.

What do you think?

For some things, a WF:Siege Engines may be more appropriate, with the OCV being based on the team leader. I'm not sure I'd even ask for a hit roll on a hug static object like a castle gate.

But for impromptu, it sounds like it may work. I can easily imagine someone with high Presence being able to add to OCV with a Presence attack (or maybe only add to everyone's Teamwork roll).

Multiple Wielders

Thanks for the reply.

I think siege machines in general are set in place, armed and then triggered. This would enable a leader to oversee the loading and firing process and thus be mostly responsible for success or failure. Also they are not all manipulating the device at the time of firing.

The things I am refering to are the imprompto weapons you mentioned. I think a battering ram would fall into the imprompto catagory... no skill required but hard to control if everyone does not work as a team. In tug-o-war the team that pulls together will beat a non pulling together team.