[Newbie] My first character

Andrea

Re: [Newbie] My first character

Mmmh... my campaign is a low powered (more of a Pulp hero) so I kept PD/ ED low' date=' moreover the character has the Armor, should not this kind of defense strenghten his defense enough ? Or I'm misinterpreting the rule ?[/quote']

Whooops. My bad. I didn't notice it if you mentioned the pulp thing before. Ok, your character is much better for a pulp style hero. (I normally play supers and when I saw "glue gun powers" I assumed that you were playing an off-beat super.)

Armour does work the way you think. Glue Master here has 14 PD and and 12 ED total for normal attacks. That's still low for a super campaign. But it might be ok for a pulp campaign. You should talk to your GM (GM -- Glue Master? funny) about reasonable levels for your campaign. Damage levels, defense, speed, maybe a little movement (I love the swinging idea), stuff like that is really important in making sure your character doesn't get caught flat footed in some area. This is never fun for a player.

The problem with HERO is it really covers a broad range. With 250 points (100 + 150 Disads) I could hit 9d6 damage, 30 PD 30 ED w/ full damage resistance and toss in a 55 Strength to boot. That's what I'm USED to seeing in a superhero. Heck that's not even with any sort of focus or funky limitations. (It's Brick from the old Champions book, for you old timers.) So I was a little concerned that you had completely hosed yourself there.

At this point you should probably run GM here past your GM (hehehe) and see what he says. Bring up the idea of expected DC (Damage Classes, basically dice of damage), defenses and speed, and see what the GM thinks. If the GM says you're in the range for the campaign, I think you should try your character out.

Hi, again

this post is simply to thanks all the people that had helped me in this character creation.

A part from your deep knowledge of the game you are people that likes to lend an hand and this is a great power, even if it not listed in Hero ( or is it Aid ?).

Since I'm both the GM and the character creator for my lazy gamer, I'll promise that I'll publish a detailed description of the concept and style of the game, since it seems that some of you were interested.

Now I gotta go.. I must learn how to master the Multipower...

Ciao

• 5 months later...

Hi, again

this post is simply to thanks all the people that had helped me in this character creation. A part from your deep knowledge of the game you are people that likes to lend an hand and this is a great power, even if it not listed in Hero ( or is it Aid ?).

3d6 Aid INT, Only for KS: Hero System (-2)

Definitely better, maybe even playable, but not, as they genteely say, "optimized" (I like optimizing characters, but I don't like munchkinizing them; it's a subtle difference).

The stats are all fine - for a pulp/high-power pulp character. My one concern is that they're all bought up, which often suggests to me an unfocused character. It's not a problem, but when I end up buying lots of stats I find it often helpful to go back over and ask my self just what this character is really about - I can usually find a way to cut back on unnecessary stats and free up points for more pertinent things. It's a matter of taste and definition, though, not necessarily a flaw. As already mentioned, this is a pulp hero who happens to have a suit of armor and a glue gun. Nothing wrong with that.

The glue-pellet EB is pretty weak. With a simple martial arts maneuver or even a Haymaker, he can do more damage with his bare fist than his pellets do (or for that matter, if he picks up a two-by-four). STR 16 does 3d6 as a punch; a big bruiser with STR 20 does as much - though not over an area - and even a low-power supers brick will dish out 6+ dice as a punch. So it's not a very strong attack. I'd pump it up; maybe more damage, maybe Autofire, not sure.

It would really benefit from Multipower:

--spray of pellets is what you have right now

--one big pellet would do more damage to one target

--concentrated spray would be same damage but Autofire

--entangle effects could also run through the same power

It would all represent different setting on the gun, just like selective fire on modern assault rifles.

(new power idea: Swinging from a strand of glue - think Spider-Man's webs!)

(new power idea: Area-effect Drain Running - pool of glue)

Skills look okay, though Deduction and Streetwise might help, given he's got Criminology. Depends on taste again, though. Since he's got Acrobatics, Breakfall would make sense as well (and helps in those fall-off-the-roof scenes!).

No code against killing? Depends on your campaign, but it's usually an easy psychlim for superheroes, and since he uses the glue gun instead of a Thompson...

Hunted's another one, even if it's vague like hunted by the Mob or something, since he will be anyway as the campaign goes on.

Again, it's playable for a session or two, if it's comparable with the other PCs. As currently designed, he's fit in fairly well with my non-super pulp campaign (which has *very* experienced standard heroes); in my regular Champions, he'd be a sidekick at best, mostly due to his low-power attack and SPD, but that's a standard supers, so that's a much higher power level anyway.

Just a note from a latecomer' date=' but (as others have alluded to) I like the stats not being in the typical 'efficient' points levels. Nice.[/quote']

I'd have to say that yeah that's a nice refresher. My only problem with the stats at the Non-Hero level of the character is they're kinda dull. I'd pick a physical stat to stand out as well as the INT. A high COM is cool, but not enough really. Having everything at 10 is just bleh to me.