Lightbane

Figured I would post in Other genres as I know the martial arts fans gather here.

Has anyone else seen this? It comes on Friday at 7:30 pm and 8:00 pm, plus Saturdays at 7:00 pm and 7:30 pm (I think these are right anyways, the time seems to move around a bit) on Nickelodeon. I was flipping through the channels and stumbled across it one night. Here's a link to the TV Tome description (it explains it better than I could). The four elemental clans and the avatar kind of remind me of Exalted. It's also pretty well animated for a show on nickelodeon. Hope they don't cancel this one as it has an actual overall plot.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

It's not the greatest show ever nor am I a slobbering fanboy, but it is certainly better than the vast majority of shows that Nick produces. Aang has shown that he can waterbend, but he's only done it twice and only when he was in real danger. Waterbending was how he froze himself in a block of ice for a century. His earth and fire powers may be completely dormant since in one episode they mentioned that the avatar had to learn each of the bending styles in a certain order (air, water, earth, then fire, I believe, which is the same as his reincarnation cycle). Plus how could you go wrong with a six legged beaver tailed flying bison?

I do like the fact that the powers resemble basic fighting styles, the different style cultures and the limitations on the powers themselves. It's consistent across the board, even witht he strange animals thrown in like the water spiiting sea serpent.

CES

• 8 months later...

Cool! Someone else thought of this as a setting! I watched the entire first book (season) with my son over Thansgiving weekend when they had the marathon. I've been mulling over the idea myself. I also have been reading and considering an Exalted game and find the two very closely linked.

Has anyone done any work on this setting/characters/powers/etc?

Count me in as a fan of the show as well. I love the how each bending style is done as a type of martial art. If you going to use Hero for a Avatar campaign the bending styles could be done as possibly a VPP or multipower pool with variable FX

Now if you were planning on using Exalted, then you don't need to look any further than the Dragon-Blooded.

I'm really leaning toward using Exalted since it is already so close to what the show is. I might try doing a couple conversions to see how it looks in Hero system. I'll let you know.

You could use Exalted but i think hero would be better for Avatar. Because in exalted you are all ready pumped up a lot. I like the world back groud.

I would agree that HERO would be the best choice if you're focussing on the funky powers aspects. Young cinematic characters with a blend of martial arts and powers are something HERO is made for.

If you're focussing on the martial arts and elemental aspects and looking for another system, then do yourself a favor and check out the new RPG Weapons of the Gods. For a big WuXia fan like me, that game was love at first sight.

Rob

You could use Exalted but i think hero would be better for Avatar. Because in exalted you are all ready pumped up a lot. I like the world back groud.

I agree. The background is incredibly rich. I prefer to use the Hero System, but I don't prefer to do all the conversions/writeups. That time issue is a really big problem in my life.

I would agree that HERO would be the best choice if you're focussing on the funky powers aspects. Young cinematic characters with a blend of martial arts and powers are something HERO is made for.

If you're focussing on the martial arts and elemental aspects and looking for another system, then do yourself a favor and check out the new RPG Weapons of the Gods. For a big WuXia fan like me, that game was love at first sight.

Rob

Weapons of the Gods? I'll have to look into it, but I'm not too keen on learning yet another system. Maybe I can find an online game of it somewhere and at least lurk to see how it works. Is it its own system, or does it use an existing one?

Weapons of the Gods? I'll have to look into it' date=' but I'm not too keen on learning yet another system. Maybe I can find an online game of it somewhere and at least lurk to see how it works. Is it its own system, or does it use an existing one?[/quote']

Here's a review and overview of it:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11486.phtml

It uses a system similar to another game called Godlike.

Since these are HERO boards, this is the last thing I'll say about it on this thread because it's not fair to the guys who run this place to pump another company's game here.

Rob

Wow. This looks really intriguing. Thanks for the link. For those that might be interested, I'm going to start work on some campaign ideas and will post them somewhere once I have something worthy to contribute. If not in this thread, then I'll post a link to it here.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone given any thought on how to create bending as a martial art? How would you go about doing that I was thinking that you could do it with a multipower but is there any other thoughts on how you could create them?

Might even put it in my Ninja Hero campaign would be a cool addition!

Wolfe-Chan

What I've been looking at is treating them the same as spells basically. I'm considering a flat 5 points per maneuver similar to a standard martial arts maneuver. In addition, the character will need to have KS: (specific element bending) for each element, and the (element) Bending talent which will cost about 10 points.

So a starting character has to have the Talent purchased at creation to even consider getting the abilities. Then the need the KS to be able to learn the elements and finally the maneuver to be able to use it.

I'm probably going to have the maneuver use RSR KS: (element) Bending to reflect how easily Aang picks up stuff, but I was thinking there might be something in the talent to handle it.

Another possibility that I thought about was actually treating the powers as Weapon Elements for the particular martial art, and recently hae been giving this some very serious consideration as it actually would mean getting the martial art first to be able to get the bending school which would take care fo the other restrictions that I was thinking of.

I do everthing in hero, this would be an interesting sand box to play in. The real question is do you do it as a heroic campaign or a superheroic campaign. In the earlier I'd run them as martial artist with spells and use a end pool with all of the powers bought as knowledge skills. That's how I like games these days, I can inject a lot of flavor with hero like this. In the later they'd be 250 pts characters.

Another possibility that I thought about was actually treating the powers as Weapon Elements for the particular martial art, and recently hae been giving this some very serious consideration as it actually would mean getting the martial art first to be able to get the bending school which would take care fo the other restrictions that I was thinking of.

The WE idea is really interesting ... have you considered just building the bending abilities as a martial art with OCV/DCV mods and all? The manuevers might be a bit costy, but it could be interesting ...

I do everthing in hero' date=' this would be an interesting sand box to play in. The real question is do you do it as a heroic campaign or a superheroic campaign. In the earlier I'd run them as martial artist with spells and use a end pool with all of the powers bought as knowledge skills. That's how I like games these days, I can inject a lot of flavor with hero like this. In the later they'd be 250 pts characters.[/quote']

I would run it as a heroic Campaign I believe but possibly at an increased point total. May be 150 base with 50 in disadvantages or maybe 100/100 that way the benders would have more points for bending and other characters could get a few more skill levels or some more martial maneuvers.

I am not to shure how I would handle the bending itself but I am thinking that it would be best simulated with either VPP or multipower thinking that a low active cost mutlipower would be best for the idea tho.

Or would it be better to simulate it with custome Martial Maneuvers with special effects of the appropriate element?

Wolfe-Chan

Well I'd call make Bending a Power Skill (then a 3 pt knowledge skill for each element). Then I'd make every ability they aquire a 1 pt KS. The GM can design some basic power ideas for each power. Then the pc can create their own powers there after. The Names, special effect and Limitations will all enforce the idea that the powers come from their Martial Arts. I'd power the powers with the afforementioned End Pool, and charge x2 their personal end if they exhaust the end pool. This would allow for interesting dual element powers too, on the flyeven if the GM is so inclined to allow such things. Imagine Magma gouts or true Ice Storms (for the avatar of course).

• 10 months later...

Has anyone other than the Avatar shown the ability to learn more than one element?

I don't think they can. It's like magic for some settings. You have to have a talent for it, then the talent determines what element you can train under, but none can do more than one element except the Avatars.

CES

It also seems to be hereditary or something similar since it seems all the people in a given area can only use that particular element they grew up in it would seem.

Of course, it may be that anyone that can bend can bend anything, but once they start down a particular path of instruction it may lock them into that path. Then again it may just be preference.