Lightbane

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

I'm definitely inclined to say it's hereditary, though other styles can be studied and the physical elements employed- See Iroh and his lightning-deflection technique, which he says he learned by studying waterbending styles.

Taking advantage of this topic suddenly rising out of nowhere, if I were to ever run a campaign in this universe, I think I'd hand out Missile Deflection for free to everybody, maybe with a -1/4 "Must have appropriate object/technique". Even Sokka runs around smashing projectiles out of the air, nevermind the "blast against blast" combats, which are more defensive than DBZ's "Let's smash into each other and see what happens".

In theory, if you put the emphasis on OCV, and encourage the players to think of cool things for regularly given Surprise Move bonuses (Yes, somewhat similar to Exalted stunt bonuses) I imagine it makes things pretty dynamic, encouraging people to actively defend, which seems to matter in a world where Armor is limited and Force Fields nonexistent.

I started writing up a campaign-guideline type thing for this once- I think my conclusion was Superheroic without points for NCM. Bending was either a quick-changing VPP with limited SFX or an EC built around a Variable Advantages EB for the basic tricks. The VPP version clearly needs a "___bending" skill at a healthy level. The other rule I'd bend would be allowing a combined Ranged/Hand to Hand Martial Art, though perhaps making people buy extra damage classes seperately.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still leaning to the martial arts approach on this one with everything being just SFX at least as far as the combat is concerned.

The movement and non-combat stuff probably needs a power behind it.

That said, I think the VPP is about the only way to accurately portray what we are seeing in the series. However... when you really look closely things get a bit simpler. I see a lot of Entangle type examples as well as TK. I don't see much more than that with the exception of the KA I've seen unleashed in the last several episodes. The diversity that we see is really just various SFX.

That's what I was thinking with the Advantaged EB approach. Certain elements use different advantages more often, but AoE 1 Hex, Line, and Cone, varying degrees of Indirect, Double Knockback, and such are pretty common. Plus, a VPP still seems less point-heavy than a full EB, Elemental TK, An entangle or the like, and then any nessecary movement powers.

• 1 month later...

Well I've been working on some ideas and evidently my ideas came from this thread. I was primarily using the 10 point talent for bending with a 1 point talent falling underneath for each power learned, I didn't think a knowledge skill fit quite as well.

The starting package I'm working on involves a 30 point VPP with the very limited limitation allowing only one element (obviously this would be a little different for the Avatar but I'm not getting into that yet).

I've been mostly working on Waterbending since that is what's been seen the most in the series. My list of current powers is as such:

Water whip (EB), Ice Shards(RKA), Ice Sliding(Running/physical manifestation, 'stuck feet 1' (entangle), 'stuck feet 2' (knockback resistance), push and pull the water, fog(change enviroment), healing(healing), streaming the water, ice armour(force field), freeze(change enviroment, possible secondary effect of entangle), Tsunami Riding (flying with phsyical manifestation)

I've thought about the idea of weapon elements with martial arts, but I still have difficulties understanding martial arts (even reading UMA) but at that I did do some research into which types of Martial Arts are used by each kingdom.

Waterbending seems to be based off Tai Chi. Earthbending is Hung Gar (a form of Kung Fu), with one exception being Toph who uses Southern Praying Mantis (also a form of Kung Fu). Firebending is Northern Shaolin (more kung fu). Finally Airbending is Baguazhang (again kung fu).

That's what I've got for now.

Hope it's enjoyed.

Andrew

As a secondary note I've found the site http://avatarspirit.net to be quite helpful, especially since it has scripts for all but the last two episodes of book 2.

Very nice! Keep it up.

Were you planning on using the characters from the show and timeline being concurrent? Or, do you have something else in mind?

Well currently I'm just working up the setting and it will be easiest to just use what's in the show for now, but coming up with other ideas shouldn't be too difficult.

I've got to redo my HeroDesigner files because for some reason when I was visiting my parents this weekend I started working up ideas and left them on their HDD instead of transferring them to my Flash Drive.

Another note that I didn't put in the previous post was that I think the game shouldn't start with more than 100/100, maybe even 75/75 but it can be decided either way. With current plans starting as a bender would take around 45 points so I guess it would depend on how much a GM felt was needed for background.

Andrew

That would depend on what starting level the GM was looking for I think. Do you want to "grow" the characters like on the show, or start them out already able to kick butt like many of the NPCs that the group has encountered?

I've been thinking this morning the the powers should have a minimum active point to cause certain powers from not being usable early on, therefore requiring the player to put points into their VPP. The obvious example would be for firebenders and lightning.

That would depend on what starting level the GM was looking for I think. Do you want to "grow" the characters like on the show' date=' or start them out already able to kick butt like many of the NPCs that the group has encountered?[/quote']

I completely agree that the final decision is up to the GM, those were my suggestions primarily for that reason alone. 100/100 for more powerful characters and the 75/75 would represent the characters at the beginning of the series.

Restricting the DCs and possible advantages should be able to do that without requiring a minimum cost and possible changes to the mechanics.

A lower skill roll' date=' or skill progression might help curb that too?[/quote']

Yeah you're both probably right. As I said before I'm very new to the system, never done anything besides Champions characters and then only like two, I just love the system.

Since my current plans have every power with RSR there is also the possibility of using the -1 to skill for every 5 Active Points instead of the standard -1 for every 10 to start for the really big powers.

These were the lower skill rolls I was talking about. You could limit them to familiararities at chargen, or simply a base less than 11- to reflect how difficult these skills are.

You have to be careful you don't limit them too much though. Players are going to be expecting to be more successful than the average mook after all.

That's a good thought. Makes me wonder how you're feeling about Austin's abilities...

Also, since the cartoon is the inspiration and you don't see too many people failing their attempts. They may miss or be rendered impotent in combat with the heroes, but they don't fail their checks to use the 'skills'.

Oh, Austin is just peachy. He has been extraordinarily lucky with all his PER rolls and has a nice smattering of detective skills to keep him busy. It just isn't flashy like all the others, but he'll come into his own eventually. Especially when more EXP gets given out. *nudge* *nudge* *wink* *wink*

I attribute that completely to low CVs on the NPC side, and high DCV on the heroes' side not to mention the better power sets that they have and the diversity of those powers. Really if you look closely they are the typical superhero team with different powers that when brought together makes them more powerful then they are individually. Excepting the Avatar state of course.

But also consider that they have been defeated many times, even if only temporarily. It is when they come up with a plan, and team up that they really kick butt.