Lightbane

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender

Hard to say since there are so many different levels of mooks. The basic mooks such as soldiers and rabble I wouldn't want. Notice they also attack in mass typically.

The named mooks however, seem to be on the same level as the heroes for the most part. Even Jet and his small band appeared to be quite competent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Katara has become an incredibly powerful water bender.

Toph continues to rock on toast. Get it rock. Hehehe I crack myself up.

Aang has become extremely capable now oh and he has hair.

Sokka is learning to become a sword master. He had a whole episode that was the typical kung fu training montage. He was also given a White Lotus Pai Sho piece, but doesn't know why.

Last week we learned about the previous avatar and the previous fire lord's connections and how those connections are also connected to the heroes.

So, yea, there is a bunch of stuff happening. :)

Yea, she is definitely one of if not the worlds most powerful water benders. After seeing the previous avatar in last weeks flashbacks, I can't wait to see Aang start bringing it all together and mastering fire bending as well. That will be incredible. Especially when he has such powerful friends with him. I'm totally expecting uncle Iroh to be Aang's fire bending teacher.

Was was considering that as well, but I'm hesitant because Zuko isn't as powerful as Iroh, and doesn't have the discipline. I could Zuko perhaps joining the group to fight his sister, but so far every teacher Aang has had has been very powerful, Iroh fits far better than Zuko. I will definitely be intrigued to learn who it will be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I've been thinking about using Avatar as a way of getting into 6th Ed. Andrew, how far did you get on creating a HERO Avatar setting? Any info you can share, I'd love to have, get me started on my campaign.

-shnar

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm late in the game. I've just finished watching the animation and I liked it. Ending was so-so, but consistent. Anyway, I'm leaning toward VPP as a way to express their powers. And I'm also leaning toward making the combat system more wargame/boardgame like.

Firstly, powers for the VPP have to be pre-made and written down on index cards. Players can make an infinite numbers of powers. But during play, they can only have 3 card in hand. The 3 cards represent the 3 powers that the player/character "knows/remembers" during his phase. He can replace any one or all 3 cards with new powers from his personal deck, but will require a skill check and one phase to do it. Failure just prevents him from making any Attack Rolls.

Secondly, VPP is powered by Endurance Reserves. In the animation, they don't get tired easily. It's only when they use a lot of powers do they get tired. Seems like they start using their personal ENDs after awhile.

Thirdly, have most powers have the Require Gestures limitation.

Forthly, have most offensive powers STUN-base.

Finally, have most powers requiring a focus. This is where the boardgame comes in. It seems that their powers gets stronger when they use natural and man-made terrains.

Well, that's it. Tweek the rules. I'm to lazy to add more. Oh, BTW, get the Champions Powers book to start making your deck of cards.

-

I don't like the VPP idea, except for the Avatar himself. The series talks a lot about specific "forms", movements that do specific things. I think this translates very well into a set of powers, a mix of martial arts and a power framework. Pre 6th Ed, I would have gone with an Elemental Control. Gotta figure out how that will work 6th Ed now.

I also think that the END comes directly from the bender. Look at Zuko when he fights Azula in the first episode of season 2. He knocks over two guards on the ship with a fire kick/punch, lights his Fire Daggers and then swings about 4 times at his sister. Then there's a pause for some dialog and Zuko's breathing rather heavily. That's not a lot of action to get winded by if you were using an END Reserve. Maybe the more powerful benders take on Reduced Endurance advantage?

And limiting a bender to only 3 choices and a whole phase to change it up seems extreme. In the series, they're doing different forms all the time without any pauses between forms. Which, if you did a set of powers or a power framework other than a VPP (a Multipower might work well) then that works great. I'm leaning more and more towards Requires Guestures and Skill Roll. I don't think you'd even need a Focus limitation, since of all the elements, there's something to be found everywhere and I don't know that it'd be a limitation, or at best 1/4.

Anyways, still cataloguing everything, we'll see where this takes me :)

-shnar

• 5 months later...

Very late to the game, but just checking to see if anyone put together a final package on this. I just watched a bunch of episodes with my boys and it is perfect for a game. A couple of thoughts that struck me:

1. Their GM threw out TONS of xp during the adventure. Katara starts being lucky to do a dinky water whip (effectively her only power) and ends the series throwing beat downs on people left and right. Starting characters are relatively low points. Experienced characters are effectively superheroes (see the Fire Lord/Phoenix King flying around with fire blasts).

2. The characters definitely have RSR early on. However, by the end that has been bought off and is not in play.

3. I agree that Missile Deflection is effectively a martial maneuver that is pretty standard (low cost). Lots of the blast to blast, ice walls, etc. are effectively sfx for MD.

4. I think mechanically, I would lean towards a MP for benders (except Avatar who has a VPP). However, I am tempted to use the MP / VPP to provide the base power / skill and allow characters to buy DCs that would increase all of them. This would mirror the fact that the characters start to ramp very quickly once they have a basic skill set in place. Thinking this though this is effectively the same thing as creating each power as a martial maneuver... hmm... more and more, that feels like the right answer (except for the avatar and phoenix king.. hmmm).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I would love to hear what everyone else has done.

I never got far in formulating my version, since my group is still occupied with Rolemaster and Traveller, however it's still in the back of my mind.

To go along with your thoughts:

- I can see the "masters" as either have a *ton* of powers or just having a VPP. I kind of think the progression should be a MP that eventually leads into a VPP for the bigger stuff. I keep thinking back to Season 1 where Katara found the scroll of water bending moves and used that to help train herself and Aang (before going to the North Pole). That very much sounds like an MP or at the very least martial maneuvers. So I kind of think lower "trained" or powered benders are MPs, but the "masters" have gotten all the pre-trained maneuvers and are now creating their own. And it very much feels like the masters can do anything they can think of on the spot, not limited to knowing specific maneuvers (sounds like a VP to me). Maybe it's just a VP with a limitation that can only be used on learned maneuvers and once you're experienced enough, you can buy off that limitation and becomes an open-ended VP?

- I think all the kids in the series are prodigies. Toff is "the best earth bender in the world" and proves it by discovering Metal Bending. Katara, unschooled, impresses an aged master with her raw talent and eventually learns Blood Bending. Mai and Ty Lee, while not benders, can hold their own against benders. Jet is the same way. Azula is described in the series as a prodigy. And of course there's Aang. My point is I don't think you should model the game too much of the characters in the show. I think other benders have a more difficult time learning their abilities.

Even though I made little to no progress (I did buy the 6th Ed books, though am having a hard time finding Fantasy Hero 6) I'd love to see if you piece anything together :)

-shnar

-

Hi. I'm another recent fan of the show only have discovered it in the last year.

I think that multipowers work for every bender accept Ang. When Uncle Iroh explains how he invented redirecting lightning by incorporating techniques from water bending , it seems a lot more like spending experience than just do something on the fly as part of a VPP. Even Toff's learning to metal bend came across as 'hey, I've got 18 points of unspent xp can I buy down my only works on rock limitation to only works on rock or metal', and the GM saying 'sure but it will take your character 6 hours of practice to get the hang of it'.