Dive For Cover Skill Level Question?

Hyper-Man

Question

Hi Steve,

I just want to confirm my understanding of what skill or combat levels can be used to increase a character's chances of success with the DFC (Dive For Cover) manuever. Since, according to page 393 of 5ER, DFC is essentially just a DEX roll it is my understanding that only Skill Levels (page 70) usable for characteristic rolls, including Overall Levels, are applicable. However, all other Combat Skill Levels (pages 53-54), including 8 point with All Combat, are not.

1. Is this correct?
  2. Also, can an 8 point level with All Non-Combat Skills (page 70) be applied to DFC even though it is not so much a skill as a manuever?

Thanks,

HM

1 answer to this question

Re: Dive For Cover Skill Level Question?

No type of Combat Skill Level can be applied to improve the DEX Roll for Dive For Cover; CSLs improve CV, not DEX Rolls. Any type of Skill Level that improves the DEX Roll (not Agility Skill Rolls — DEX Rolls) can improve the DFC roll. Other types of Skill Levels, such as “All Noncombat Skills,” cannot improve the DFC roll, because it’s a DEX Roll, not a Skill Roll. The GM can, at his option, treat the DEX Roll as an “Agility Skill” roll, thus allowing 5-point Agility Skill Levels or 8-point All Non-Combat Skills Levels to apply, but this is not recommended.