PULP HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: PULP HERO -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve,

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this...but there really was a Nazi group interested in antiquities/myths/legends/Atlantis/etc. You mentioned it in some of your other materiels.

According to what I saw on the History Channel, this group was like the one in the Indiana Jones movies.

A little more on this group and plot seeds would be nice.

Best regards,

Mark Ahnen

Colorado Springs

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for the suggestion, Mark!

Just to be clear: the book's already gone to the printer. At this point it's too late to add anything. However, everyone's still welcome to post other suggestions here on the PH boards, or e-mail 'em to me directly at SteveL@herogames.com.

PH itself doesn't specifically discuss Nazi archaeological activities (or the Ahnenerbe, which I think is the group you're referring to). But I definitely intend to delve into that subject (no pun intended!) more in next year's Pulp Resource Guide or in some other appropriate publication. ;)

P.S.: I note that the person who suggested this has a last name sinisterly similar to the organization in question. Perchance could there be more to this suggestion than meets the eye? Are secret conspiratorial organizations attempting to involve Hero Games in a quest for the Holy Grail or other artifacts of great power? Tune in next week to see what befalls Our Heroes! :) :) :) :)

We'll preview the cover sometime in the next couple of weeks. We just unleashed two last Friday; we gotta space 'em out. ;)

Cool. I hope it has a more interesting cover than the workmanlike Predators, Combat Handbook, and Equipment Guide. Pulps are in part famous for their thrilling covers...

I've heard that the Thule Society was also a Nazi group very interested in mythology and the occult...

http://www.crystalinks.com/thule.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Society

Well, in the Real World the Thule Society was more of a bunch of pretentious occultist cranks who helped organize the Nazi Party simply to organize some muscle (they needed to defend themselves against the viciously left-wing Spartakists). Most of them were middle-class Germans, all of them sticking a "von" before their last name -- though they did have a few royals and nobles in the group.

However, they were organized by the very nastily right-wing Germanenorden and Reichshammerbund, and those outfits were truly nasty.

If I remember right, the Thule dissolved about the time of the Munich Putsch (when the Communists took over the local government for a week or so); the Reds killed several members and shot quite a few other people as well, when they weren't stealing everything in sight or competeing to invent new and more grandious titles for themselves.

Anything you could ever want on the RW Thule Society can be found in Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke's _Occult Roots of Nazism_.

Of course, in a fictional universe, they could easily be the occult Hidden Masters behind the Nazi rise to power, a blind for the _true_ masters to supply strong-arm goons for Nazi villains, or anything in between.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not quite sure how you mean that. I see Champions and FH as being very similar' date=' so my answer would be "Yes." ;)[/quote']

I think you should have replied in Code, so that we'd all need decoder rings to read it...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Did we get the Art Deco spaceship?

Well, there isn't one that comes with the book (boy would that be a great, but really really expensive, promotion), but there are a couple of Pulp SF-style illos in the book.

Even better, check out our Hero Plus Adventure, Solar Smith And The Sky-Pirates Of Arcturus!, which is a Pulp SF setting and even has some rocketship "illustrations" done by yours truly! ;)

Ok Steve here's the big question: how were the sales at GenCon?

By that I mean how did they compare to the other big GenCon releases of the past?

Better? :celebrate

Worse? :weep:

About the same? :)

It seems they sold about 150 copies of Pulp Hero. I don't know if that is up or down from last year's release of Dark Champions. Pulp is a very niche product; far more niche that Dark Champions.

Ok Steve here's the big question: how were the sales at GenCon?

By that I mean how did they compare to the other big GenCon releases of the past?

I consider them pretty strong. They were a little lower than both FH and DC (which were about the same, IIRC), but by no means distressingly lower. I think the future bodes well for a robust PH line, but as always sales of supplements, not just the main book, is the telling factor over time.

I consider them pretty strong. They were a little lower than both FH and DC (which were about the same' date=' IIRC), but by no means distressingly lower. I think the future bodes well for a robust PH line, but as always sales of supplements, not just the main book, is the telling factor over time.[/quote']

Hey, showing up to the Hero Games booth and being "mind controlled" into purchasing several books is good for business... :) Of course my whole mission was to go to GenCon for Pulp Hero, so convincing me to buy something at the Hero Games booth was really easy. :)

Hey, Steve, you sure this ring isn't a mind crontrol ring? :idjit:

*Yes Master*

Jak