Pulp Reading

Steve Long

Re: Pulp Reading

To "Steve Long" Okay. Some Pulp Resorces that I have sitting nearby. "The Great Pulp Heroes" Don Hutchison (Mosaic Press, 1996), "Yesterday's Faces" Robert Sampson (a series of 6 books) (Bowling Green University Popular Press, 1983), "The Pulp Jungle" by Frank Gruber (Sherbourne Press Inc, 1967). Interestingly Gruber was a genuine Pulp writer, his career starting in 1927 (according to the dust jacket). Another book of interest to annybody who might want to run a "fantastic adventure" type campaign is "Danger My Ally" by F A Mitchell-Hedges. This is the autobiography of the explorer who discovered the first "Crystal Skull" (supposedly; he is very coy about not revealing how he got hold of it) in the 1920's. (To be correct his daughter Anna is the one who is supposed to have actually found the skull, on her 17 th birthday !)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started "The Scarlet Riders: Pulp Fiction Tales of the Mounties" which is exactly what it sounds like. Pretty cool stuff, some true crime type stories, as well as some more fantastic lost race tales.

Also got Nile Empire for TORG off Ebay. It was pretty disappointing, but in only cost me two dollars. And there were one or two useful sections, The Law of Drama for example. If you can find it cheap, I recommend it.

I'm stunned no oen mentioned Sax Rohmer, especially his immortal creation, the Chinese Devil-Doctor Fu Manchu.

And for non-fiction, don't know if it's still available, but Wirter's Digest once published a guidebook to daily life in the 20's and 30's. It might still be available.

Books/stories:

Well, although H.P. Lovecraft's stories are more in the "Horror Hero" vein, those would be good sources for the era.

The Fu Manchu novels

The Father Brown Novels

R.E Howards John Kirowan stories (again, more Horror Hero but they still have that pulp feel)

Ironcastle, as translated by Jose Philip Farmers

Movies:

The obvious Indiana Jones trilogy, plus the Mummy and the Mummy Returns

Any of the 1940s movie serials

The television show Tales of the Gold Monkey with Stephen Collins

"The best american novels of the twentieth century still readable today"

by Elenor Geheres(iirc), note this may only be locatable at really really large libraries, this is a locally(Colorado) published book.

Very much focused on americana, but still since it is organised by decades and has a paragraph description of each novel (and has alll the greats like gone with the wind, the grapes of Wrath, Shenandoah, etc...) that usally includes time period/setting this should be a great indexing resource for Steve when he wants to look at the more gritty pulp books as well as a definate set of books to ground someone in the "reality" of the pulp time periods. Though they are in most cases not "pulpish" to the strictly discerning snobbish buyer understanding the reality behind the fantasy can be a good thing. Besides these are the best books of those periods (as well as some looking back) and at a well written paragraph apiece, a very easy chance to get a mini review prior to consideration of selection. Also several excellent recommendations for that Western Hero book that will likely be eventually written.

that is my suggested reading list in a nutshell.

To "FenrisUlf" I think that the Writers Digest book that you are referring to is "The Writer's Guide To Everyday Life from Prohibition through World War II" by Marc McCutcheon. Written in 1995. I have previously recommended this book. Probably hard to get hold of these days, but a useful resource !

I've been trying to wrack my brains to think of suitable British authors of the period - most of our fiction at that time was rather too sophisticated to be considered pulp (as others have pointed out, our Victorian writers set the stage for pulp, but then we moved on).

Then I remembered John Buchan. The 39 Steps is the obvious one, but Greenmantle (WWI gentlemen adventurers turn spies) and Prester John (African black magic comes ot Scotland) are also worth reading.

The Gutenburg Project has a good selection of Buchan novels, including the three I mentioned.

I might recommend (especially for those who want to play a "pulp" detective) both the works of Max Allan Collins, especially the novels featuring Nate Heller, a Chicago P I; and the novels of Stewart Kaminsky featuring Tooby Peters,who works in Hollywood and whose "co-stars" have included Gary Cooper,Mae West, and The Marx Brothers at different times !

I second the Prince zarkon series written by Lin Carter. They are a pulp enthusiasts dream to read, espcially as each novel is in and of itslef a loving homage to the pulp genre and its various characters. I've found a list of Lin Carter novels that give the following as Prince Zarkon books:

Zarkon, Lord of the Unknown, in The Nemesis of Evil (1975)

Zarkon, Lord of the Unknown, in Invisible Death (1975)

Zarkon, Lord of the Unknown, in The Volcano Ogre (1976)

Zarkon, Lord of the Unknown, in The Earth-Shaker (1982)

Horror Wears Blue (1987)

He led a group of men called the Omega Crew, obviously a nod in regard to Doc Savage's men. Zarkon would also rendezvous at a place calle the Cobalt Clkub, where adventurers meet. Each novel would establish quite a few, if you familiar with the genre. For instance, in The Volcano Ogre, he meets up with Richard Benson (The Avenger), detective Philo Vance, Richard Curtis Van Loan (The Phantom Detective), Admiral Donald A. Winslow (Don Winslow of the Navy) and Col. John "Renny" Renwick (one of Doc Savage's Fabulous Five assistants). Its also revealed that one of Zarkon's Omega Crew, Ace Harrigan, is named as the son of '40s aviator "Hop" Harrigan.

Great books and geat fun... just good luck finding them. They were treaseured library finds as a kid.

Here's my humble opionion after much reading...And there are some suggestions that are quite out of the classic canon. I hope that can be useful...

Sax Rohmer " The mistery of Dr Fu-Manchu" for the classical oriental pulp feeling

H. Rider Haggard " Allan Quatermain" and "King Solomon's Mines" for the mysterious african flavor. And it's very well written too.

Edgar Rice Burroughs "The Land that Time Forgot" for the sense of Marvelous, the Dinosaurs and the Nazi

Edgar Rice Burroughs " At the Earth's core". Pellucidar is the perfect exotic pulp setting !!

Arthur Machen " The Three Impostors". A collection of eerie tales that have that conspiracy feeling that so part of a Pulp setting.

HPL all the Mythos tales. I know that it would be more appropriate for Horror Hero but there are some fundamental seeds that defines Pulp for years to come

Clark Ashton Smith " The Emperor of Dreams" ( a collection of tales) There are Dreamlike stories that are very good in order to see how a fantasy pulp can be defined and there are the darker ones that shape up the horror pulp ( the nameless offspring to say one)

Rober E. Howard " Skull face" A tale that can be found in some collection and that I like it very much for the hard boiled take on mysterious issues

Clayton Rawson "The footprints on the ceiling Perfect incredible puzzle like detective story, set in a Island with lot of suspects. The archetipe of the magician detective. I love this book

Glen David Gold " Carter beats the devil" A marvelous book set firmly in the pulp tradiction but with a twist. Great even for the meticolous historical setting

Michael Chabon " The adventures of Kavalier and Clay" Maybe not set in the Pulp golden age but very beautiful indeed. There's a golem, golden age heroes, the Escapist, a Pulitzer. I learnt many things about life in those years

Jules Verne "Robur the conqueror" Not Verne's best book but the flying machine are really worth the reading.

This is all for all but I'll hope to contribute with some others in a next post ( if you are interested...)

Ciao

Andrea

To "Andy Staples" Re British Pulp. Well, first of all let me recommend "Beau Geste" (and its sequels) written by P C Wren in 1924. THE "French Foreign Legion" novel. Next the works of Talbot Mundy such as "Jimgrim" and "King of the Khyber Rifles". Mundy was born in Britain and naturalised as a U S citizen and third the British agent "Bulldog Drummond" , the "James Bond" of the 1920's (well, maybe, probably less sex ). Earlier (in the 19th century) of course British writers had created some of the classic "Pulp" stereotypes like Allan Quartermain ("Great White Hunter"- H Ryder Haggard,) and Professor Challenger ("Irrascible Scientist"- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) also Raffles ("Gentleman Theif"-Ernest William Hornig) whose adventures continued into the 1920's. There should be plenty there to keep you reading, provided that you can FIND the works !