Pulp Film Recommendations

Steve Long

Re: Pulp Film Recommendations

http://www.movieflix.com has a lot of streaming content that is directly on point, including a collection of serials.

They also have some documentaries from the mid thirties concerning expedictions to africa and India. Most of this older content is free.

Here's a link to the Africa Documentary, made in 1935:

http://www.movieflix.com/movie_info.mfx?movie_id=1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can find them' date=' I recommend the TV Series "Bring 'Em Back Alive!" and "Tales of the Gold Monkey" from the '80s ... also, the cartoon "Tailspin" ... As far as movies, I'd like to add "To Cast a Deadly Spell" to that list as well ;)[/quote']

It appears that DVD's of Tales of the Gold Monkey can be found here...

http://www.goldmonkey.com/

I'd recommend The Shadow with Alec Baldwin. There may be other versions, that are more from the period, but I liked the one above well enough to watch it more than once.

The Relic Hunter TV series. I can't say if it was good. I've never seen it. But it's sort of tomb raiderish, as I understand. Perhaps someone else can comment on its merit.

The Ghost and the Darkness, with Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas, was a good stranded/being hunted type movie for that they're stalking us in the heart of Africa feel.

Would Kim and The Jungle Book be out of era? Probably too victorian, I suppose, but Disney's version with the treasure city, and the idea of espionage agents in that era seem cool.

Again with the Noir suggestions! You'd think I was obsessed or something... ;)

Warner Brothers released its Film Noir Classic Collection boxed set about a year or so ago. It contained the dark, murky classics Out Of The Past, The Set-Up, Gun Crazy, The Asphalt Jungle, and Murder, My Sweet. Fox is set to release it's own answer to WB's boxed set with Laura, Call Northside 777, and Panic In The Streets.

One of my favorites is Orsen Welles' A Touch of Evil, a study in corruption and a look into the blackness of men's souls.

Most of the great Bogie movies -- Key Largo, The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, and The African Queen are the ones that come immediately to mind.

So many great Alfred Hitchcock movies: The Man Who Knew Too Much, North by Northwest, Suspicion, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, Vertigo... the list goes on.

Bill.

The original Jonny Quest show was iirc inspired by action pulps.

- They managed to pack a lot of action and plot into each episode.

- They approached each adventure as a group.

- Just about all of the adventures would work perfectly in a game set in a "Pulpy" 1930's setting.

These are avalable on DVD now and definitely worth a watch.

Oh my gosh! I was searching for photos for another thread and found some from The Lost Horizon! How could I have forgotten the original Xanadu film?

Mighty Joe Young (original) and the remake wasn't half bad either.

The original Batman serials and the original Superman serials

Alan Quartermain & the Lost City of Gold -- not great but definitely pulp

Iron Giant

You know, The Aviator chronicles someone who contributed a LOT to aircraft of the era. Didn't HH invent the rocket pack?

The Goonies (modern era, but secret treasure, pirates, caves)

Dick Tracey

Charlie Chan

Lawrence of Arabia (unless WWI is considered too early)

Mr. Moto

I also just remembered another little-remembered series of years gone by' date=' [i']Q.E.D.[/i] -- the pulpish adventures of an inventor named Quentin E. Deverill. It only ran for six episodes; it starred Sam Waterston in one of his early roles.

You mean someone else remembers that show? I loved it!

TailSpin!!!!! Crap I loved that, sends me back to 6-8th grade. Great vision in the realm of the Airship based fantasy world. Make all of the of the characters human and you have SkyCaptain and Red Skies.

I would also suggest "Miller's Crossing" as a good pulpish crime thriller. I am glad to see someone suggest "Cast A Deadly Spell"; a FUN little movie that combines a detective story with Lovecraftian horror. As an aside I recently purchased a book entitled "Shadows Over Baker Street" edited by Michael Reeves and John Pelan (Ballantine/Del Rey 2003). A book of short stories combining Sherlock Holmes with Lovecraftian horror !

To "OO Machado" I would agree that "Relic Hunter" would work well as a "Pulp" adventure (as, of course, would "Tomb Raider"). All that is needed is to set them "back" to the interwar/ WWII period and adjust the technology appropriatly ! Although, come to think of it, you might need to adjust a few social attitudes as well as a FEMALE "Indiana Jones" type would be a bit unusual ! But then, the referee and players could have fun with that concept too !

Spies - by Friz Lang. Along with 'M' this was one of the best silent films I have ever seen. It's about spies (obviously) trying to thwart an evil mastermind. 'M' is about a child molester being hunted in depression-era Germany. Great films with pulpy bits, as sell as small details of life in the 1920's.

And let's not forget the Venture Brothers. Go Team Venture!

Guest Major Tom

I'd add the Tarzan movies to the list, specifically those that were made

during Johnny Weissmuller's tenure (I can't remember the title, but the one

in which Tarzan had to go up against some Nazis was a classic of the series,

especially the scene where he pulls out his knife, faces the camera and says

"Now Tarzan make war!", just before stalking toward the viewers). The Jungle

Jim movies (another Weissmuller vehicle) might also be worth adding to

the list

There was also a serial called Judex that was recently shown on AMC

that might just be pulpy enough for your purposes.

Major Tom

It appears that DVD's of Tales of the Gold Monkey can be found here...

http://www.goldmonkey.com/

According to their sister site, the TV series was based on the previously mentioned movie Only Angels Have Wings.

As a side note, I always thought that the TV series would make a cute campy Star Hero campaign. Replace the airplane with a spaceship, the islands with planets, and season to taste.

There's Sorceror, by William Freidkin. There're no magic users in it. It's about these first-world criminals, hiding out in a third-world oil camp, who may win a slim opportunity at new lives if they can drive some sweaty dynamite across Venezuela in antique, homemade trucks. Taking the trucks across the rope bridge is intense modern pulp.

Someone mentioned B Banzai as a Doc Savage update. Did anyone mention Big Trouble as a Fu Manchu update? The Fu Manchu pictures are pulpy fun. I'm not crazy about Anaconda, but it evokes some good wierd menace jungle pulp.

Here's some goodies for the film section:

James Cagney films...

Public Enemy

Jimmy the Gent

"G"Men

Angels with Dirty Faces

White Heat

Edward G. Robinson films...

Little Caesar

Bullets or Ballots

Kid Galahad

The Sea Wolf

A lot of Humphrey Bogart movies have been named earlier including ones above, but here's some more...

Dark Passage

The African Queen

Deadline--USA

Bette Davis, Lauren Bacall, and Kathryn Hepburn appear in a lot of these films as well.

So, this should be a good start.