Pulp Film Recommendations

Steve Long

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pulp Film Recommendations

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=31106

They are planning a John Carter of Mars movie. I think its nice that Corran of Sky Captain fame will be doing the visuals. I thought he did a great job with the visual effects in Sky Captain which did a lot for the feel of the movie. I wonder what changes they will make in modernizing it.

And my prayers have been answered! I am eager to see how they handle the constant nudity; the actors will probably have to cover up to some extent.

Does anyone know if this will be the first book alone, or will they try to tackle the first three novels as one story (which they are?).

And my prayers have been answered! I am eager to see how they handle the constant nudity; the actors will probably have to cover up to some extent.

Does anyone know if this will be the first book alone, or will they try to tackle the first three novels as one story (which they are?).

It's the only one slated thus far. They're probably going to wait and see how it does.

I was quite pleased when I heard about this film, mainly because Robert Rodriguez was signed on for it. After he resigned from the Director's Guild of America (who didn't want Frank Miller listed as a co-director of Sin City), he lost the deal and they gave it to Conran. I'm sure he'll do a good job, but Rodriguez likely would've done better.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw "It's a Gift," with W C Fields a couple of days ago, and I'd recommend it as a great source of information about the more mundane aspects of life in the pulp period. Scene after scene is based on pieces of period technology and contemporary culture. The scenes in which Fields works in his gorcery store are particularly interesting - huge barrels of molasses, most goods behind the counter and sold by weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo many great pulp films. One of the all time classics (and one from which much of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was "borrowed") is Gunga Din. Great flick and holds up very well, even today. Here are a few others:

The Spiders (early silent film that has more Indy action than I ever expected).

Big Trouble in Little China ("Jack Burton...ME!")

Young Sherlock Holmes (not a particularly good movie, but cool setting)

Doc Savage (this was full of terrible camp, but I still dig it)

The Shadow (some bad parts, but lots of good too)

The Rocketeer

The Phantom (again, some bad parts, some good parts)

Jungle Girl (movie serial)

Nyoka and the Lost Tablets of Hippocrates (movie serial sequal to Jungle Girl)

Gunga Din (it's worth noting twice....)

• 2 weeks later...

Hard times with James Coburn and Charles Bronson. Depression era New orleans. Coburn is a fight promoter/con man. and bronson is a bare knuckles brawler. gritty movie rich in atmosphere, and great fight scenes.

the Naked Prey with Cornel Wilde - the great white hunter gets hunted. Wilde plays an explorer who is captured by tribesmen, stripped naked and forced to run as they try to hunt him down. good fodder for the great white hunter/ safari pulp types.

The Quest- Jean claude Van damme. the movie is set in the 1920's or 30's it's like kung fu pulp. it has Malaysian pirates and ancient temples,zeppelins, and fighters from all over the world vying for a golden dragon

Guest Admiral C

Wow. You guys called off some even I totally forgot about like "The Ghost and the Darkness" with Val Kilmer. I'm not sure if these count but I think (on a comedic note) that "Three Amigos" was set in the pulp era as was the film adaptation of "Papilon". Although way out of the time period "Firewalker" with Chuck Norris and Lou Gosset Jr. has a great pulp feel. Maybe of less use to gamers is the musical "Annie" which can give a great feeling for the background setting. Though wans't their some guy following her around in the radio show cutting off peoples heads?

Someone mentioned the "Big Brawl" with Jackie Chan, and I would certainly add a Chn movie if I got remember the name. Something with Chinese pirates during the 20s and Jackie was playing a sailor. I think it was "Project A".

While I'm at it I wanted to weigh on the LXG/Shadow/Phantom thing. It occured to me that while these movies may be disliked by so many they represent some of the few modern takes on a genre the mainstream moviegoing public has all but forgotten. That makes them gems for people who truly love pulp which gives them an enduring quality. I just plain enjoy them too. :)

BTW Weren't they supposed to be working on the next Indiana Jones film or did that get scrapped?

Admiral_C

To "The Evil GM" Is "Hard Times" also known as "The Streetfighter" or is that a different (and also pulpish) movie with Charles Bronson ? I agree about "The Quest". I am not normally a great fan of Jean Claude Van Damme (I have been known to refer to himas John Claude Van Damned Bad Actor) but I DID enjoy "The Quest". I thought that Roger Moore was very good in it as well !

To "Admiral C" We hear rumours about another "Indiana Jones" movie ALL the time. As one of the characters says in the movie "The Crimson Pirate" (one of my favorite swashbucklers !) "Your humble servant will believe it when your humble servant sees it !"

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought of an oldie but goodie - Amazon Women On The Moon :whistle:

Somewhere along the line I think "recommendations" must have been redefined... Still, if we're moving onto cheese, can it be long before someone suggests Wild Women of Wongo? Uh, apparently not.

Souls For Sale

Set in 20s - 30s Vincent Price is an adventurer now addicted to opium.

He does battle with axe throwing Tong members to rescue female captives being sold into slavery and 'fates worse than death'. He msut escape the clutches of the cross-dressing Fu Manchu type, and do all this whilst he's got some sort of Opium hangover. It has a line in it like "No you fools, Use the Velvet whips!, don't mark their skins!"

Howard Hughes directed and produced several films in his life. In 1930, he made Hell's Angels. It's a WW1 flick, but its got zeplins in it, as well some interesting details on their operation. (Hughes was a nut for accuracy it seems). Plus it's an awsome movie in it's own right.

I haven't seen Hughes mentioned in this thread yet, so I thought I'd bring his work to your all's attention.

Edit: Add in there Scarface: "An ambitious and near insanely violent gangster climbs the ladder of success in the mob, but his weaknesses prove to be his downfall. User Comments: Among the best gangster movies of all time."

"Radar Men From The Moon" - Best serial ever.

Actor starred in `Radar Men' serial

by DENNIS MCLELLAN

Los Angeles Times

Jul. 28, 2005

LOS ANGELES - George Wallace, a versatile actor whose career ranged from starring as Commando Cody in the Republic serial "Radar Men from the Moon" to playing leading roles in Broadway musicals, has died.

Guest bblackmoor

Souls For Sale

Set in 20s - 30s Vincent Price is an adventurer now addicted to opium.

Apparently not available on DVD yet, more's the pity.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently bought myself (and have watched this afternoon) a film which , if not in setting at least in style, could be considered as "Neopulp". "National Treasure" starring Nicholas Cage. The idea of the hero having to steal the Declaration of Independence to find the secret map on the back DEFINATELY tickles my Pulpster fancy !

Actor starred in `Radar Men' serial

by DENNIS MCLELLAN

Los Angeles Times

Jul. 28, 2005

LOS ANGELES - George Wallace, a versatile actor whose career ranged from starring as Commando Cody in the Republic serial "Radar Men from the Moon" to playing leading roles in Broadway musicals, has died.

That's sad. I enjoyed both Radar Men from The Moon and Commander Cody, but my personal favorite serial of all time was King of the Rocketmen. I thought the story wasn't half bad. After that, maybe Zorro's Black Whip (which had nothing to do with Zorro) was another favorite.

Ernie

:king:

• 3 weeks later...