Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Tonight was the culmination of my first campaign, ever, and my first taste of the HERO system, ever. The game had lasted two years, and gone through four chapters.

My character, Sand, had sworn an oath to track down and kill Baldric (former PC), who had betrayed the group and gone on to puruse dreams of glory as a lich.

Sand (as he had promised) killed Baldric's entire family, after having them outlawed (lots of evidence). Sand was outlawed himself, but he didn't really care. A promise is a promise. Sand spend 16 years hunting Baldric, IN game. He comes from a very strict, "your word is your bond," very technical bedouin desert soceity.

Finally, we meet in the arena in the center of the city, as hordes of undead rise for the second night of their assault on the populace.

One of the fellow PCs is Raoth, a full-fledged demon who we helped secure his throne (quite by accident, too. He was quite suprised when he gained it. Long story).

Baldric has secured the Chalice of Antiquity, a device that if used would violate the covenant that has kept the gods from entering this world. He is making us pick to destroy him or stop the Chalice.

I of course choose both. Raoth and I go for Baldric, the two other PCs go after the Chalice.

When I attack him, my knives disappear and my hands begin to glow with holy fire. At this, my character stares at his hands and says quite simply: "Raoth, go save the world. I've got a vow to fulfill."

The ending was interesting.

I of course choose both. Raoth and I go for Baldric, the two other PCs go after the Chalice.

When I attack him, my knives disappear and my hands begin to glow with holy fire. At this, my character stares at his hands and says quite simply: "Raoth, go save the world. I've got a vow to fulfill."

The ending was interesting.

Hardcore. :eg:

JG

My character' date=' Sand, had sworn an oath to track down and kill Baldric[/quote']

Sorry, but when I read this all I could think of was Baldrick ("I have a cunning plan...") from Blackadder. Made it hard to read the rest with the appropriate level of grativas. :lol:

[Narrator introducing Baldrick] "The other was the sole descendant of an unfortunate meeting between a pig-farmer and a bearded lady. History has, quite rightly, forgotten his name."

It was Hochstetter' date=' the Gestapo guy, just FYI. Enforcer84, can you remember the wording to the Hochstetter/Tripper "interrogation" well enough to post it?[/quote']

not really.

it was Sigfried that interrogated Jack for the most part.

Hochstetter: What do you know about the disappearance of Mr. Roark?

Jack: Do you have him?

Hochstetter: No!

Jack: Then...not much.

Later taken at gunpoint by Sigfried (from KAOS)

Sigfried: Where is Mr. Roark?

Jack: Don't you know?

Sigfried: NO!!!

Jack: He's missing.

Sigfried:I know that! Where were you the night he went missing?

Jack: I wasn't there, were you there?

Sigfried: Yes - NO! Wait! NO! Were you one of the four who were there when he disappeared?

Jack: Who?

Sigfried: The Four who were present when he disappeared!

Jack: Oh Them, you mean Boss Hogg, the Little guy

Sigfried: Nein! It was the Stevens couple, Tattoo, and Eunice!

Jack: Right. What was the question?

At that point Mr. Ed saved Jack. But now thanks to my interrogation, we had a few clues. :drink:

Sorry' date=' but when I read this all I could think of was Baldrick ("I have a cunning plan...") from Blackadder. Made it hard to read the rest with the appropriate level of grativas. :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I was afradi to admit it, because I thought I'd be the only one to even know what I was talking about.

I'm not alone!! :celebrate:thumbup:

Dang. My first nemisis...

Well, the entire group hated him, and it was awesome to rip out his heart and destroy his soul.

And then he became the God of the Dead, and I became the God of the Humans. Apparently, all of the old gods had died long ago, and he needed us to Ascend.

I actually felt really good about it.

From the Witchcraft game that finally got started ...

My character (a normal) is in the company of a modern-day knight templar, and a girl with the 'I see dead people' thing going on. We wind up going out to a cemetary, where they see a guy in black robes channelling dark energy and chanting. I just see a guy in black robes chanting. I don't see anything beyond a random weirdo, so I approach him. I think the GM was expecting an attack from some quarter (probably the templar), as while he and Dead Girl are discussing things, I approach and ...

Me: "Excuse me, sir?"

GM: "Despite your innocent greeting, you might as well have been wearing a big scary mask and screamed 'booga-booga' at him. He jumps up, turns, stumbles backwards, and cracks his head on a tombstone."

(Ominous warning, followed by death.)

Me (OOC): "Guess you really *can* kill someone with kindness."

Later on, the guy's spirit has possessed a rottweiler (a word my wife cannot say, evidently), given it super-strength, and burst out of an animal shelter pen, killed two other dogs and the lady who ran the place.

Stacey (IC, Dead Girl, talking to the cops): "Someone let the dogs out, and they killed the lady who runs the animal shelter!"

Chris (OOC, Templar Guy): "Who let the dogs out?"

Me (OOC): "Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon ..."

Chris and Me (OOC): "The Who let the dogs out! Woof, woof woof woof!"

Later on, the guy's spirit has possessed a rottweiler (a word my wife cannot say, evidently), given it super-strength, and burst out of an animal shelter pen, killed two other dogs and the lady who ran the place.

Stacey (IC, Dead Girl, talking to the cops): "Someone let the dogs out, and they killed the lady who runs the animal shelter!"

Chris (OOC, Templar Guy): "Who let the dogs out?"

Me (OOC): "Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon ..."

Chris and Me (OOC): "The Who let the dogs out! Woof, woof woof woof!"

Coming from someone who uses the avatar you do, this is just too funny! :thumbup:

At the big meeting with the leader of the demon hordes...

Demon Lord: "You brought a gift basket. You are insane."

Preacher (imagine a really heavy Irish brogue) - "You! Cake or death? We only have two pieces!!"

Sorry to dredge this one up but I just read it again and it reminded me of the game. Love it. :thumbup:

Some selections from the last couple of sessions.

Sparrow - "Oh, come on, it's not like there's a law against it."

Synapse - "Sure there is."

Sparrow - "Really? Dammit."

Slipstream outlines his plan. The reaction?-

Saurin - "There is no way that's a good idea."

Silk - "Well, you consider the source..."

Steelwasp - "Would you please go villainous so that I can feel good about kicking your a$$?"

Villainous robot impersonating a cop, confronting the team brick.

"Put the armored car down and place your hands above your head! No! Not on the puppy! I repeat, do not put the armored car down on the puppy!"

"There's a lot of puppies over here!"

"Fine, hold it up then!"

"Arms are getting tired!"

"Can't you put it down somewhere there aren't any puppies?"

"Over there by you there's some clear space."

"Fine!"

*crunch*

OOC comment from player: "Never had a robocop insist that I drop an armored car on him before. One for the books."

Slipstream - "Steel! Turn on your defensive field!"

Steelwasp - "Got it!"

Silk - (impersonating car alarm voice) "Viper armed!"

Saurin - "So, Silk, your father is a supervillain, yes?"

Silk - "Yup."

Saurin - "Is that how you got your powers?"

Silk - "Naw. Bitten by a radioactive marmet."

Saurin - "But you have spider powers."

Silk - "Funny old world we live in, isn't it?"

Synapse OOC - "We're fighting Choo-Choo Bear? What the f*** is wrong with you?"

Slipstream - "So, Silk, any other villains in your family you'd like to tell us about?"

Silk - "I need a cup of hot chocolate and a non-metahuman family member to tuck me in."

Slipstream - "Good luck with that."

Synapse is scanning the mayor's mind.

Saurin - "So, do you have contact?"

Synapse - "I think so."

Saurin - "Find anything?"

Synapse - "It's like reading e e cummings. I guess I've got the right mind."

Sparrow - "Wait, they're robots? Whoot! Nobody cares if I kill robots!"

Synapse - "I care."

Sparrow - "You can go sit in the hall. I'm killin' me some robot."

"Put the armored car down and place your hands above your head! No! Not on the puppy! I repeat, do not put the armored car down on the puppy!"

"Fine, hold it up then!"

"Fine!"

*crunch*

OOC comment from player: "Never had a robocop insist that I drop an armored car on him before. One for the books."

Anybody else see this one coming from the words 'over there by you'? :D Repped!

In tonight's scenario, the new member of the group is a Brit who came to New York to pursue an American alchemist who came back to the States and ended up robbing a bank here. We got involved because the method of entry (turning the concrete wall to liquid) indicated magic was involved.

The alchemist had been involved with some other characters in Britain, one of whom was named "Johnson." We first knew something was up when the British PC noticed that same Johnson on the scene we were investigating, even though he was supposed to have been apprehended in London. We fought this guy and when Gary ended up killing him, he turned out to be a robot. Not just a robot, but some kind of techno-golem, because the entire construction turned out to be made of motherboard and random gadgets.

But in the investigation Gary discovered that there were two locations in town that the alchemist needed for his projects. We split up. Gary and an NPC agent went to one location and tracked down the alchemist just as he was getting attacked by two more Johnsons. Worse, they had Gary's DEX, which meant he had to dice off with them for initiative. He beat one on the DEX Roll but not the other. So Don (GM) announces that Gary goes after one but before the second.

Gary says, "So I'm stuck between two Johnsons. I feel like I'm in jail."

JG

From the Nobilis game we just finished...

Secrets: "What now?"

Betrayal: "Well, if we don't want to destroy the world, we'll need a turtle."

Leviathan: "so, you have plotted against me for some time?"

Betrayal: "An hour and a half?" (checks watch) "about two hours, lord."

Nightmares: "Our plans are quite advanced. We believe we can prevail."

And my favourite, which requires explanation.

Nightmares got blamed for killing Leviathan (our Boss') servitors - but he wasn't doing it. We finally found out why.

A session before he had given Betrayal's Anchor's secretary his coat because she was in shock. Forgetting that at the time he had shapeshifted the Mantle of Nightmare, Artefact of Power (Aspect 2 focus), into a coat. Yep. That coat. The secretary, wearing the coat, had instantly buffed from "just a minion' to 'minor demigod equivalent' and (justifiably) killed her boss.

[before signing onto a starship's crew, Henry, a fugitive, has to pass a background check with a fake ID.]

Wade: "Before we proceed, I'm going to need your ID card."

Henry: "Right. ID."

(Henry hands his fake ID to Wade.)

Wade: "We're just going to run a quick background check. Just a formality. We'll be right back."

Henry: "A background check... Ah..., yes, well... hopefully it shouldn't take too long. I'd hate to hold the ship up."

Wade: "Hmm... you appear unsettled... anything we need to be aware of?"

Henry: "No. Just - well, this is so spur of the moment. If I had known I was signing onto a cre this morning, I would have brought some character references... and a change of underwear, but that's something we can worry about later. We're about the same size, right?"

Wade: "Hmm... well, Okay. We'll give you the benifit of the doubt until the check comes back... We just have to be... cautious. And stay away from my underwear. Especially when I'm wearing them."

Henry: "Don't worry. I joke a bit, but I've got no intention of going where no man has gone before."

-------------------------

[Wade is showing Henry how to operate the sensor array]

Henry: "Okay, now, where's the big red button I'm never to push under any circumstances? I think I'm good for right now if I know which button that is and never touch it."

(Wade grins.)

Wade: "That's classified. If I showed you the big red button I'd have to kill you."

Henry: "Aw, but then what if I push it, not knowing what it is. Maybe I think it's the gellato maker, and all of a sudden, I have a craving for some ice cream. Next thing you know, we're miles off course."

Ta'Rang: "Then we throw the comm operator out the airlock"

-------------------------

[Wade calls the dockmaster's office (on the other end of the "line" played by the GM) to see if there's any cargo]

Wade: "Yeah Bernie, this is Wade. We are in need of a cargo load and I was told you are the man with the plan..."

Wade: "We can carry 1.5 ktons or 168 cubic meters. How soon can you have us loaded?"

Wade: "Ok, yeah with a 2 week window we are good if you can load us today."

(Ta'Rang loks at Wade... two weeks?)

Wade: "Thanks! See you in an hour!"

(Wade hangs up.)

Ta'Rang: "what, Wade?"

(Wade turns to the others.)

Wade: "I have arranged us a load of medicals for the Liberty Naval Station."

Milo: "Hmmm... not bad. How much are we getting?"

(Wade looks sheepish.)

Wade: "How much? I forgot to ask..."

"Fine, hold it up then!"

"Fine!"

*crunch*

Wait-----the villain, who's a robot and impersonating a cop, is worried about puppies getting hurt?!?!

:eek::nonp::jawdrop::no: I think my brain just broke. :think::stupid::doi::idjit:

At the risk of detracting from the thread (which has happened too often recently)....

Some selections from the last couple of sessions.

:confused: So the PCs knew the cop was a villainous robot, but the robot was concerned about a puppy? Did the robot not know its cover was blown or was there some rationale to this?

In a Champions game, our group was battling a very large demonic creature. One of our characters, an angel, stabbed it with a divine sword.

Me (OOC): "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast."

At the risk of detracting from the thread (which has happened too often recently)....

:confused: So the PCs knew the cop was a villainous robot, but the robot was concerned about a puppy? Did the robot not know its cover was blown or was there some rationale to this?

The puppies were more than they seemed. Robocop had been sent by the Engineer to round up the puppies and deliver them to the base, because they were the key to defeating the Engineer's rival in crime, Cataclysm. You don't find many canines raised on colloidal silver, and so the robot didn't want them harmed, they'd be hard to replace.

Fairly complex plot lines at work. Kinda silly, too.

Oh, here's another one from the same session:

Synapse had just forcibly powered-down a robot.

Sparrow: So, you didn't break him, you just .. knocked him out cold?

Synapse: And locked him into a sensory stimulus loop to keep him occupied.

Saurin: Wait, that means he's dreaming.

Synapse: Yeah. Of electronic sheep. (elbows Silk)

Silk: (blank look)

Synapse: Oh, ferchrissakes, read a book once in a while!

BTW -- Hooligan X mentioned this one from his GenCon zombies at the airport game (the PCs were all 80s action heroes) --

Jack Burton: I have a mullet and a machine pistol. I'm ready to go.

Comments from Session 12 of Shadows Angelus:

Jama's thought process: Rio + Beaches = Bikinis!

"My badge is bigger than your badge."

"Serpents on a sub-orbital"

(followed by...)

"And now, the savage beating of a game master"

(then...)

"Sharks on a Roller Coaster!"

"Oh, I see, my power is only useful when you can use it"

"Hemelshot's getting ulcers and he doesn't know why."

Yar: "So, at the hospital..."

Ross (GM): "The hospital?"

Yar: "I'm jumping ahead, aren't I?"

"They're whipping up on us with Harry Potter spells!"