Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From a D&D game last Sunday:

The beautiful sorceress/possible vampire who had captured the ranger, Y'llek, is firing a flame strike at a group of adventurers that included Y'llek.

Ryan: "She's shooting at Y'llek? I thought she likes him!"

Aren: "She likes him well done."

Breaking down the front door of the building where the sorceress has taken refuge:

Ryan: "So, I have to bash the door with my sword?"

DM: "No, you could bash it with your face, but it'll hurt a lot more."

Interacting with a PC who knows Ryan is from a noble family.

DM: "She hasn't heard that you've been ostrasized from your family."

Another player: "Ostrich-sized?!"

From Star Wars game, but OOC. Somehow we were talking about cussing (she started it!) and so I told her about my being in the Army and the creativity we used there.

Her: I've made sailors blush, so I can relate.

Me: I've made sailors blush, so I walked away with my buttocks clenched.

:D

From the Saturday's fortnightly Eberron game.

Nona has crept ahead of the party to take advantage of her elven senses, when she sees the reflection of 3 eyes in the shadows.

ME (OOC): Anything with an odd number of eyes can't be good.

Nona (Elven Lurk): Guys. What has 3 eyes?

Cast (Warforged Artificer [WIS=3]): 3 pirates?

Ebon (Human T-leaf, I mean, Rogue): That's 3 "arr"s.

Nona is complaining about the blandness of iron rations.

Glen (Human Ardent): I could always create some berries to sweeten the meal. Of course, they vanish into nothingness after two hours.

My Char, Jovor (Human Divine Mind/Paladin): Tastes Great! Less Filling!

My '7th Sea' group ...

The party are privateers about to battle a Montaigne warship.

Montaigne? Think France, pre-Revolution, only with bigger fops and worse dress sense - and that's just the naval officers.

Anyhow, a couple of Players fancy themselves as sharpshooters, so they climb up into their ship's rigging and get ready to fire.

As the other ship comes within range, the PC Captain orders: "Shoot their officers!"

As Referee, I have to ask: "OK, how do you spot the Montaigne officers?"

Captain thinks for a couple of seconds, then orders: "Shoot anybody on that ship who is wearing a silly hat!"

Much laughter. What could I do? All things considered, it made perfect sense. Since then, 'looking for the silly hat' has become a sort of catchphrase in my group for spotting leader-types

I have two quotes from this week, and shall present them in their out-of-context, out-of-character glory.

Todd (who plays Rastal): So we'll hunt them down, kill them, then interrogate them. Wait . . .

Josh (playing Father Danaecus): Now that we're done with the Days of Our Lives, I'm going to pick up some hot chicks for the dragon.

"What is this? Survivor: Rome?"

(Initiating numerous jokes evening long about voting people off of the team or dragon-blood houses off of the blessed isle)

------

Slave revolt Leader: "Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!"

Honshu (Master of Lightning): "Thank you kindly for raising your lightning rod." [Zap]

-----

GM: "Would anyone like to 'stunt' to get more dice on their entrance?"

Players 1-5: [Various "Nope" and "Can't think of anything".]

Player 6: "I have apperance 5. Isn't looking good enough?"

Player 5: "Well maybe if you wardrobe malfunction."

--------

My '7th Sea' group ...

The party are privateers about to battle a Montaigne warship.

Montaigne? Think France, pre-Revolution, only with bigger fops and worse dress sense - and that's just the naval officers.

Anyhow, a couple of Players fancy themselves as sharpshooters, so they climb up into their ship's rigging and get ready to fire.

As the other ship comes within range, the PC Captain orders: "Shoot their officers!"

As Referee, I have to ask: "OK, how do you spot the Montaigne officers?"

Captain thinks for a couple of seconds, then orders: "Shoot anybody on that ship who is wearing a silly hat!"

Much laughter. What could I do? All things considered, it made perfect sense. Since then, 'looking for the silly hat' has become a sort of catchphrase in my group for spotting leader-types

It worked for the Viet Cong.

JG

We just defeated the last group of guards that were preventing us from getting inside the temple of the void where we can destroy this evil amulet we've been safeguarding until we can destroy it for 2 years (in game). The guards were tough and we were already weak from fighting the other guards and such.

Krage (Wizard): "Now we can finally destroy the amulet...Where is the amulet? Gora what did you do with it?"

Gora (Barbarian):You told me to keep it safe.

Peter (Paladin):So what do you do with it?

Gora: I put it on.

Gora is a PC. Was a PC I should say.

Witchcraft game. The game uses a d10 system that is 'open-ended' both ways ... if you roll a 10, you keep rolling and adding, if you roll a 1, you start subtracting.

We've tracked a possessed ("rabid" to my character, the Normal) to a house in town, where it's trapped an old lady in a closet. I go in through a window and tackle it (The joys of 'reckless' and 'showoff' as drawbacks).

While I'm grappling it, the party gun-nut, who is not actually all that good with guns as it turns out, comes in through the door and tells me to hold it, so he can shoot it in the head. Its head is DANGEROUSLY close to mine, so I have second thoughts about this plan.

So, I flip over and kick the dog into the air, while shouting 'Pull!'. He takes aim and fires ...

One.

One.

One.

Eight.

The shot goes wild, going through the closet door and scaring the old lady half to death (she started having a heart attack).

"Your sights are pulling about fifty yards to the left there, John."

"I ... it was the run over here, jostled me ..."

"Next time, don't use the gun designed to shoot around corners." (while making a 90 degree motion with my hands)

In tonight's Champions game, I play a female martial artist who is deliberately modeled after Zhang Ziyi from Hero and several other films. This week, several of the characters were separately attacked by giant alien spiders. One of them managed to get the drop on my character, and knocked her on her stomach. I asked for a size estimate, and the GM said the spider's body was as long as the coffee table. I said, "My character screams like a little girl, which she actually is."

JG

Ian (GM) : There are several holes in the town's defense.

Lj (OOC): [Lewis Black] We have Gold! We have Peasants! FIX IT! [/Lewis Black]

The GM is describing the hovel of the crazy old (600 years old to be precise) "Wise Woman" our characters have met in the ruins of what was effectively Camelot.

GM: ....And she has spice jars.

Me (OOC): Melange-a-trois?

Owen (OOC): *grins* Thats where you -think- you had sex with two other people!

A highly tension-filled scene has just taken place, where-in my Amazon character, Astra, has been on the verge of drawing down on Lord ELizar, NPC Wizard of considerable power. Astra was angered because he felt the need to slap across the face his bodyguard, Sephora, who is one of the two other good-aligned Amazons we have encountered in the campaign. Sephora is Lord Elizar's bodyguard, and has apparently taken several oaths to serve and protect him, including (apparently) an oath wherein Lord Elizar has the "right" to demand her death if she should fail in a mission he gives her. My character is one of three Amazons we know of who understands that the Amazon Race is being twisted and their religion subverted to Evil, and Sephora is a friend. Astra demanded that Sephora swear that she would neither kill herself, nor allow herself to be killed over some contract. "We die fighting."

Sephora refused to take the oath unless Astra could defeat her in single combat. (Thats part of the Amazon Way in this campaign). The two met alone on a hill outside of town and got to fighting. (This was nerve-racking for me, as Lord Elizar is a -powerful- wizard, and Sephora is his bodyguard, and I had NO idea how powerful she was compared to me). Astra won (but not easily), and we returned to Lord Elizar's tower.

Once there, Lord Elizar, and Astra's companions Imet Toth (fantasy-Egyptian paladin) and Kethri (a felinoid-race Monk), were clearly able to see that they have been fighting, as both Astra and Sephora were pretty thoroughly tousled and banged up. Elizar demanded and explanation, and Sephora told him "I lost the duel. I have to take an oath to Astra".

Lord Elizar looked angry, and dragged Sephora into the next rom for a quiet, but heated, cnversation. When they returned, Sephora looked like she was humiliated and angry and had a red handprint on her cheek.

This made Astra, who after all is Sephora's friend, and a proud Amazon, VERY upset. Astra shifted her position in a way that Imet and Kethri recognized as her "combat ready stance" and...had WORDS with Lord Elizar.

Imet and Kethri both (wisely) remained silent during the exchange between Lord Elizar and Astra. Astra explained that the oath she was demanding was in no way going to interfere with Sephora's performance as a bodyguard, and maybe he should have ASKED before he struck an Amazon warrior across the face. It was the insult of that humiliation that Astra, as an Amazon herself, was quite angry about. (Point of fact is that Astra could not understand how Sephora had allowed a man to strike her across the face without doing SOMETHING about it). Lord Elizar explained that the specifics of the oath were not important; Sephora trusted Astra to stay true to her word and demand the oath they had discussed if Sephora lost the duel, but in point of fact Astra had the RIGHT now to demand ANYTHING of Sephora, including forcing her to abandon Lord Elizar, or even kill him. To Elizar the matter had nothing to do with whether or not Astra kept her part of the deal; he was angry that Sephora had agreed to the honor duel in the first place, and without consulting HIM.

Tensions ran high, and although once explanations were made both Lord Elizar and Astra understood the others reasoning, they were both still very upset, and with Astra being young and prone to follow her emotions, Imet decided to gently intercede and get both of them to cool down. Imet got Lord Elizar to allow Astra to tell him the exact terms of the oath she wanted Sephora to take, and if Lord Elizar did not find them acceptable, Astra agreed to discuss the matter with Lord Elizar until an acceptable compromise could be reached.

Astra explained the oath she wanted Sephora to take (basically, dont kill yourself or just let yourself be killed; if youre gonna die, die fighting), and Lord Elizar agreed. Sephora took the oath. Astra and Lord Elizar parted on frosty, but at least neutral, terms.

Imet: That settled, Lord Elizar, we were going to discuss-

Kethri: CHICKS AND BEER! :D

Krage (Wizard): "Now we can finally destroy the amulet...Where is the amulet? Gora what did you do with it?"

Gora (Barbarian):You told me to keep it safe.

Peter (Paladin):So what do you do with it?

Gora: I put it on.

Gora is a PC. Was a PC I should say.

No, seriously. What happened next?

All that for this?!

Imet: That settled, Lord Elizar, we were going to discuss-

Kethri: CHICKS AND BEER! :D

:idjit::nonp::doi: Where's the head exploding smilie when I need it?

:o I apologize, it's probably me in my "old age" but sometimes these long back stories just don't do it for me. :help:

All that for this?!

:idjit::nonp::doi: Where's the head exploding smilie when I need it?

:o I apologize, it's probably me in my "old age" but sometimes these long back stories just don't do it for me. :help:

The back story was to lull you into a false sense of security.

Plus...it just kind of got out of hand.

Seriously though, the build-up had been -very- tense and dramatic...and to have Kethri just blurt out "Chicks and beer!" just totally fractured the group :)

Not a gaming quote, but one I'm going to have to work into a villain's soliloquy.

My daughter was putting away some clothes and came out of her room to get some wire coat hangers. When she walked back past me, she waved the two hangers in front of my face and said, "Beware... my coat hangers of DOOOOOOM!!!"

(Sniff) My little 13 year-old would-be supervillain... I'm so proud...

The back story was to lull you into a false sense of security.

Plus...it just kind of got out of hand.

Sadly, part of the reason I'm not a fan of the "long backstory" for a quote is because I tend to tell long stories for a short point. I ramble on and on. I've told women that I dated (including my wife) that if I do that to tell me that I'm rambling (or even babling). :help:

Sadly' date=' part of the reason I'm not a fan of the "long backstory" for a quote is because [u']I[/u] tend to tell long stories for a short point. I ramble on and on. I've told women that I dated (including my wife) that if I do that to tell me that I'm rambling (or even babling). :help:

Youre rambling again ;)

From Sundog's Champions game on Saturday night.

The players for Gunny (Powered Armor Char based heavily on early Iron Man) and Stormlord (Mystical Weather Controller/Elemental Being) were discussing the differences in their secret IDs, based on their high intellects helping them generate high income.

Gunny (OOC): Basically, You're a genius and I'm a super-genius.

Orca (OOC): What's the difference?

Stormlord (OOC): Five points.