Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From my Eberron D&D game this afternoon:

Kast, the Warforged Artificer is translating some ancient Goblin on the steps leading up to the door of a tomb. They say "He who disturbs my tomb shall die horribly."

Nona, the Elven Lurk (who's player has been out of the room for a "comfort stop"): 'So, what does it say?'

Kast, after a short pause: 'Only an Elf can open this door.'

This was years ago, but for some reason I'm thinking of it tonight...

A player character was describing to the powerful wizard patron character a magical effect he wanted. In the character of the wizard, I responded

Wizard: What you describe is theoretically possible. It is also theoretically possible to turn lead into gold. Do you know why it isn't done?

Barbarian: No, why?

Wizard: The process consumes diamonds.

Thus getting across the idea that what the player was asking for wasn't impossible - but it was way too much trouble to be worth doing.

Lucius Alexander

Sator arepo tenet opera rotas!

Session 16 of Shadows Angelus

Jamadigni Renuka: "I don't speak to the dead."

Nathan Carpenter: "The dead may speak to you."

Steve about his character Yiska: "[Yiska] can Mindscan for [the enemy]"

Michael mimes holding up a sign reading: "Mindscan is a two-way street!"

Sgt. Hemelshot to Tyger: "Make this gun unhappy."

Carpenter: "I open the door."

GM: "The door aborts to a dodge."

Tyger: "Way to shoot first and ask questions later Sarge. That's my schtick!"

Hemelshot about the man he just shot: "Criminal Mastermind!"

Tyger: "Space Shuttle!"

Hemelshot about nearly shooting a hole in the space shuttle: "It's not my fault."

Mike & Nestor (OOC): "It didn't work for Han, it didn't work for Lando, and it's not going to work for you!"

Carpenter: "Sergeant? There's a small matter of why your brain's missing."

Masada: "God has given me the power."

Carpenter: "You are not with God."

"Wow, Hemelshot just got Presence attacked by his own daughter."

Question to the GM: "How many points of resistant defense does my dress uniform give me?"

GM: "Considering the crap these guys go through a few unaddressed headshots are okay."

Nestor: "Does this mean we have a quota?"

Some Out-of-game comments:

CHINO -- Communist Heathen In Name Only

The Reverse Defenestrator -- He throws windows through people.

Refenestration: The act of throwing someone or something back through a window.

Lucius Alexander

Wizard: What you describe is theoretically possible. It is also theoretically possible to turn lead into gold. Do you know why it isn't done?

Barbarian: No, why?

Wizard: The process consumes diamonds.

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises 1991

I must use that last one!

Feel free. Just credit it. ;)

The palindromedary dryly observes that even if it’s not credited, how are we going to know? Even if we wanted to scry on all Hero games everywhere, we don’t have the balls to do it…

Climactic "run from living Dungeon before it collapses" moment. My new character... Ulderron Tiberious Stormrager, third Lord of The Bulls in Silverymoon and my "Thor Clone"...

"Will the black tendrals of this dungeon block our path to freedom? I SAY THEE NAY!"

Makes trifling strength check and runs like hell.

A game of thrones. Much has happened, and now Malachai Fieldrow, once a simple farmboy and hunter, has become in short order, a scout to Lord Redwine, then knighted on the field of battle by Rhaegar Targaryen. Now known as Sir Malachai the Tall (6'5 and still growing...), the young man meets Ingrid, the daughter of the town's constable. She's all of 5'2", 120 pounds, and potentially, as strong as Malachai...

She drinks him under the table the first time they meet.

She outfights one of Lady Redwine's protectors in a practice duel without breaking a sweat.

She's an excellent cook.

In short, Malachai is in love.

But he and Ingrid, while both reasonably smart, don't have to operate under the burden of massive common sense. They talk, they have dinner together, they go frog hunting in the Reed lands. In short, they engage in their own weird version of courting. They tell each other about their pasts, and Malachai lets Ingrid know how his Mom used to beat up his Dad, but in a loving way. About how important the Godswood is to him. About how much he liked the fish pie that she made for him.

Malachai wakes in the middle of the night, a lump on the back of his head, dragged out to the Godswood, Ingrid standing above him holding a fish pie.

And thus, Ingrid married Sir Malachai.

In explaining it later, Ingrid said: "Well, I didn't know how they do things up North. I know he said his Mom knocked out his Dad a few times, but they loved each other a lot. I know the Godswood is important, and he really seemed to like the fish pie." *Shrug*

Total OOC quote that's been making the rounds in our gaming group. I'm currently playing the Dawn of War Warhammer 40k computer game. I was talking to a friend on the phone and we were wrapping things up...

LA: "Okay, I'll talk to you later about Lady Aracane."

ME: "Cool, I'm off to go purge the heretic."

LA: "Please tell me that's not a euphamism...."

Again from the New Thunderbolts campaign. Yes, we've been role-playing sitting around a table drinking while the new adventure is put together. At any rate, HooliganX as Eva von Doom, calling her father's arch-nemesis"

"Ooooh, I have an idea! Pass me the phone...

"Hello, is this the Baxter building? May I speak to Dr Richards please...

My name? My name is, uh, Madame Hydra. I'd like to tell him about my secret plans to destroy Kalamazoo. Why Kalamazoo? I guess the name annoys me... Yes, I'll hold.

"Yes, Dr Richards. I have a question for you...

"Is your refrigerator running?

"Oh...You don't? Thermal shunt from the Negative zone..Of course. So, no fridge. Really. I see. Um, well, never mind."

*click*

"Curse you, Richards!"

So, in my Champions game we've recently been dealing with super-powered serial killer who has been targeting other supers. In the penultimate chapter the GM surprised us all by having the latest fatality be one of the Champions, Witchcraft to be specific. After the game wrapped we all made a point of telling him that none of us had seen it coming.

GM: "Cool. Just don't tell anybody on the Hero boards. I'd never live it down."

:D

So, in my Champions game we've recently been dealing with super-powered serial killer who has been targeting other supers. In the penultimate chapter the GM surprised us all by having the latest fatality be one of the Champions, Witchcraft to be specific. After the game wrapped we all made a point of telling him that none of us had seen it coming.

GM: "Cool. Just don't tell anybody on the Hero boards. I'd never live it down."

:D

I have the odd feeling you're going to have trouble keeping that agreement.

I have the odd feeling you're going to have trouble keeping that agreement.

I didn't read about any agreement. If the GM assumed that everyone would obey, but didn't follow up on it, IMO he deserves to have his secret be known.

Fantasy Hero, members of the party include Feyor the half man/half goat, Thorn the half-elf, Yoshi the (half)samurai, and Dalen the (half)nature mage.

We wind up on the island that is the final test for mages. On the last test, a crop of plant monsters knock out Thorn and Yoshi, breathing spores on them that starts turning them into said plant monsters.

Shortly after that, we encounter a haughty manticore that assumes Dalen to be the leader of the party, calling her the Mistress of Flora and Faun.