Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Exactly. Last week' date=' one of my PCs dived in front of a bunch of falling glass to save some reporter's life. Awhile back I had a hero [i']literally [/i]throw herself on a hand grenade to save civilians. But those situations aren't as easily quotable. :D

What? You can't say "ka-BOOM"?

While discussing the plan of attack to take down a recently emerged Cult:

Father Longfellow: I think we should do some recon, figure out if they're armed...

Robin Fletcher: Armed? Padre, this is Texas. Of course they're armed.

(( several minutes later, still discussing tactics ))

Father Longfellow: Why don't we just send in Wendigo (the brick) to kick in the front door?

Robin: You tryin' 'ta get him killed?

Father Longfellow: What? He's completely bullet proof and regenerates. They'd need a Howitzer to hurt him.

Robin: How many times do I have 'ta tell y'all? This is TEXAS!

Same game as Bloodstone's...

We're fighting Zombies. A mundane task for Monster Hunters of our caliber. The Zombie King is kind of the Foxbat of this world, possessing someone, raising zombies, attacking a city.

Father Longfellow is not really suited for this, but he comes along with a borrowed pistol so as not to waste precious rounds from Methusela (altered translation: he who demands death).

All goes routinely until an old lady runs out into the street. Ghost Eagle, our Shaman, spiritually senses and pronounces, "Its the Zombie King!"

Robyn Fletcher reaches for a stun arrow... *BOOM* *BOOM* and looks back to see Father Longfellow blowing smoke off the end of Methusela and reholstering with a flourish. All is quiet. The limbs left over, attached to a meat crater, vaguely smoking...

Robyn: Oh my God, you killed an old lady...

Longfellow: No, someone said she was the Zombie King.

Robyn: I was going to stun her. She was an old lady with bath slippers and a ducky robe.

Longfellow: Yes, evil must be destroyed. It was her time...

I think the theme has migrated from "cool quote of the week to funny quote of the week."

Well, the title of the thread is simply 'Quote of the week', which means either is certainly acceptable. However, I think most people find it easier to be funny spontaneously. Besides, heroism is based more on actions than words, so it's natural that the quotes tend to be funnier than dramatic.

It is just me' date=' or do a lot of the quotes on here seem to be from games concentrating more on slapstick than on being heroic?[/quote']

Sometimes it does seem that there are quite a few comedic games out there. However, from other strings and forums, a lot of the characters described here are also very serious.

However, as with all gaming, there are always moments of humor, easily quoted.

I've often quoted our game from Epic City 2027 with humorous bits, but honestly, it was mostly very dark and disturbing. We were told Golden Age game and we faced nazis who totured, dismembered, and experimented with the bodies and psyches of innocents... children genetically altered into supersoldiers who suicided via involuntary poison glands, and Dr. Mengela. You can imagine the various other horrors we faced. Highlights to share? The brief funny moments.

We were told Golden Age game and we faced nazis who totured, dismembered, and experimented with the bodies and psyches of innocents...

Highlights to share? The brief funny moments.

What about the point where you flipped the table and started kicking the GM? I'd have gotten a laugh from that.

It is just me' date=' or do a lot of the quotes on here seem to be from games concentrating more on slapstick than on being heroic?[/quote']And yet you complain when people give "too much backstory". With most of the heroic quotes that I've noticed (note, these are the ones that I've noticed), there is a lot of preamble, in an attempt to ensure that the reader is in the right frame of mind when the quote is finally uttered. Few can stand alone and still have impact. Not everyone can utter the line, "Ultron, we would have words with thee!" and have it come of as cool, all on it's own. If you take a look here, you'll see an example of something that should haved been posted here. It wasn't, and I think that you'll agree that "OPEN!" would have been met with a lot of :confused:. I still haven't actually asked Drhoz why he didn't, so instead I'll give the reason why I don't. Because everytime somebody gives a little exposition for their quote, somebody complains:mad:. So, in the interests of keeping it short and sweet, we have been reduced the the only quotes that short and sweet can handle, slapstick spiced with increasingly rare heroics.

This mildy toasty post is targeted generally, rather than at Kirby or anyone else in particular. In fact, my playful jibes aside, I have found Kirby to have come to accept that some posts are simply going to be longer than he would have liked. I think that Kirby was simply the first to voice an observation tha many may have made recently. But to those who decry exposition I say...

"You reap what you sow."

How's that for a quote?

Current Mood: Bitchy.gif

Eh, I just tend to ignore the opinions of others who I disagree with. Not ignore as in "not listen to" but ignore as in "I see what you say, but I disagree, so I am going to do what I am going to do, but please feel free to not participate (i.e. don't read it)"

I just never have much to post. If I have something that requires a big backstory, it's gonna get the big backstory.

And yet you complain when people give "too much backstory". With most of the heroic quotes that I've noticed (note' date=' these are the ones that I've [u']noticed[/u]), there is a lot of preamble, in an attempt to ensure that the reader is in the right frame of mind when the quote is finally uttered. Few can stand alone and still have impact. Not everyone can utter the line, "Ultron, we would have words with thee!" and have it come of as cool, all on it's own.

Fair point. But as I've said before, I have no problem reading necessary backstory. The problem is some posters -- not saying you specifically, Weldun -- seem to feel compelled to give us literally paragraphs of unnecessary character & campaign backstory to preface quotes that stand just fine on their own. Granted, what is/isn't necessary are totally subjective calls. But generally, since the thread is Quote of the Week and not Story of the Week, I'd rather only get the backstory that is required to understand why the quote is funny, cool, etc. All IMHO, of course.

If you take a look here' date=' you'll see an example of something that should haved been posted here. It wasn't, and I think that you'll agree that "[b']OPEN![/b]" would have been met with a lot of :confused:.

True. But having read the journal entry (which is great, BTW) I think you/Drhoz could certainly have gotten away with something like...

Vitus has had a very bad week, been set-up and attacked by his own teammates, and now must face down Fiacho and Eurostar:

Vitus: "I am Vitus of Clan Scorpion - and I have had ENOUGH!"

(Pulls out a dimensional gate device we've been gaurding unused since the start of the campaign)

Vitus:
"OPEN!!"

(GM is grinning and twitching, and the other players are panicing because they didn't see this trick coming AT ALL!)

"You reap what you sow."

How's that for a quote?

Very nice. Succicnt and to the point. I give it a 9.7. :D

What about the point where you flipped the table and started kicking the GM? I'd have gotten a laugh from that.

Because my name isn't Brian VanHoos, and despite the incongruity, the game was decently fun to play in with some good folks... and for the record, I don't kick the crap out of anyone except for dire circumstances. ;)

It is just me' date=' or do a lot of the quotes on here seem to be from games concentrating more on slapstick than on being heroic?[/quote']

And yet you complain when people give "too much backstory".
My statement had nothing to do with what you're rambling about. My statement was an observation. And my complaint (not observation) is when people give unnecessary background information.

TMI example: My uber-cool player character was born into royalty on an alien planet where she had to fight her siblings to maintain her title. Seventeen years ago a war broke out and being on the losing side she fled to Earth where she fell in love with an Atlantean of similar royal status. They have been dating for a few years and have discussed , , and . My uber-cool player character was patrolling with PC who was orphaned and has [insert very sad sob story here] happend to him.

One day, my UCPC saw Bulldozer being a bully in a Washington park. She pulled up a tree and hit him with it rolling [ungodly Body, cosmic Stun] asking, "How do you like them apples?!"

Observation of slapstick post quote:[Reading] And the eleventh quote involving the same underwear: "If you wear Fruit of the Loom for a mask, you should expect to receive an Atomic Wedgie!" [And then I state "That seems to be from a slapstick campaign."]

:shrug: I tend to notice people who are bitchy often don't respond rationally. YMMV.

True. But having read the journal entry (which is great, BTW) I think you/Drhoz could certainly have gotten away with something like...

Vitus has had a very bad week, been set-up and attacked by his own teammates, and now must face down Fiacho and Eurostar:

Vitus: "I am Vitus of Clan Scorpion - and I have had ENOUGH!"

(Pulls out a dimensional gate device we've been gaurding unused since the start of the campaign)

Vitus:
"OPEN!!"

(GM is grinning and twitching, and the other players are panicing because they didn't see this trick coming AT ALL!)

Really? I find that interesting, because pretty much all of what I read I considered relevant for that particular quote. At the very least, I would contend that all of Vitus's monologue was important (the spitting in the eye of his oppressor, etc) to help establish the mood. As you have modified it, I don't feel particularly moved. But with all of those other lines... I honestly got chills. It was beautifully done.

But, hey, that's just me.

Oh... and, uh, I won't stand for this?

(I'd rather sit!)

Uh... I have a funny quote from my gaming group. Anyone mind if I post it? ;)

My wired street samurai has encountered three replicants that I have just realised are not hostile, but that I'm still a little suspicious of. I tell them that I will be lowering my smartgun away from them, but that I can bring it back up at them rather quickly if a problem arises which I'd rather avoid.

The lead replicant, a genetically engineered brick nods, completely oblivious even to the possibility that I might have threatened him, and says wistfully "yeah- everyone is faster than me. Even normal people. That is why they built me so tough, I suppose..."

At this point, I look at my GM and after a breif pause of stunned silence on my part, I say "he just reversed my PRE attack, didn't he? How come I'm the one considering his words?"

Really? I find that interesting, because pretty much all of what I read I considered relevant for that particular quote. At the very least, I would contend that all of Vitus's monologue was important (the spitting in the eye of his oppressor, etc) to help establish the mood. As you have modified it, I don't feel particularly moved. But with all of those other lines... I honestly got chills. It was beautifully done.

But, hey, that's just me.

*blushes* thankyou :)

So, like I was saying, for more verbose quoting and stories, I started this thread...

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1250410#post1250410

So perhaps the short quotes can stay here, and the long stories go there. =)

Personally I wish it would stay in one place, if something looks too long I can just skip it or skim it or whatever. But to each his own, of course.

At this point, I look at my GM and after a breif pause of stunned silence on my part, I say "he just reversed my PRE attack, didn't he? How come I'm the one considering his words?"

Almost makes you wonder...

can you missile deflect a Presence attack?

And if so, are you required to Incant "I'm rubber and you're glue..." if you buy the Reflection adder ;)