Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Context: New member of the party in my wife's D&D game. We're trying to find a polite, non-accusatory way of telling him that a member of our team who is naive, young, and pretty thick, has released a necromantic-warrior-demigod into the world ... we got that part out, at least.

New Guy: "Well, great ... so who did THAT?!"

Me (singing): "o/~ Who let the gods out?! o/~"

*sound of dice impacting my glasses* :whistle:

Well, time to resurrect this thread again. BTW, I've really been enjoying all the funny stories ever since this thing got posted. Just thought I'd mention that.

Anyway - it's back to the Final Fantasy 7 game we've been playing the last few months for this weeks addition to "Quote of the week" thread. We skipped a couple of weeks. Last week we didn't play the game because the GM was out of town and the previous week, there was no new stuff because no one wrote anything down.

This week we just had one incident worthy of passing along. But it's a doozy...

So, we're lurking around the Shinra Mansion in Nibelheim. It's dim and dusty. There's the occasional monster encounter. It's a classic creepy haunted house.

We found proof Sephiroth had been in the Shinra mansion the day we arrived there! A note from him to us personally, left the same day. Kinda freaked us out a bit. My character especially, since he was the one to find the note.

So what does our resident shape changing master of disguise and whip weilder Djinn do? She unsheathes the Masamune (the long blade of Sephiroth's, which we got when he was recued by Jenova from an ambush we had set up. We actually fought him to a standstill! But that's another story...) and holds it up, shouting...

"HEY ASSHOLE! I STILL HAVE YOUR SWORD! WANT IT?! COME AN' GET IT!!"

We were rather annoyed with her for that. :stupid:

Nothing happened, though.

The GM had Djinn roll some dice, but never said what it was for, and he was screwing around with a lot of dice rolls to freak us out, considering the mansion was creepy. He was doing a very very good job of generally freaking us out. So, naturally, we were all kind of psyched and twitchy. Or at least our characters were. (Lots of good role-playing, here) :fear:

So what came next really was to be kind of expected.

Our fire mage, Nina, had gone up to the attic to look around, but none of us knew it... so, everyone who made their perception roll hears "-creeek... creeeek-" from above... you know, that creepy "someone's walking in the attic" sound, with dust dislodging and falling from the ceiling boards...

Hoooo boy.

So... it comes around to Jason, the gunblade-wielder's turn (that's me, BTW)... and he's right beneath where Nina is walking, making the creaking noise... and he figures it must be Sephiroth up there. Hey, he left the note that VERY DAY. Maybe he's waiting around to ambush US in return for what we did to him?

I want to point out that OUT of character, everyone knew EXACTLY what was going on. But IN character - not a clue. I was absolutely playing with the situation and what I knew my character would think of the situation. Not what I knew.

So here I am, sounding somewhat bemused as I talk about what Jason's going to do. All the while giving a dirty look to the GM who has set this up so perfectly. And I can SEE him stifling his laughter! (Squeek, you rat bastard! Squeek, I say! :eg: ) The rest of the group are snickering, and Nina's player's just looking like "Ohhhhh boy... :angst: "

Jason pointed up and fired through the ceiling at the creaking sound. What followed were several rather tense dice rolls. When it ended, the casualties were a hole in the back of Nina's cloak and the back of her loincloth, her ponytail band shattered... and all of the hair that had been in the ponytail.

She got a gunblade administered trim of her hair... :eek:

We watched as Nina's player made an EGO roll...

...and rolled an 18.

So, instead of just yelling at Jason, or simply using a fireball... she used her brand-spanking-new, never-been-used, just-got-it-in-the-latest-round-of-powerups... ULTIMA MATERIA. :jawdrop:

Next thing anyone knew, there was now simply one very large area where that wing of the second story and the attic had been, all the stuff in the attic, three shell-shocked onlookers, one frazzled and now newly shorn fire mage, and one gunblade wielder, extra crispy. :shock:

Our summoner-mage Pharah had been climbing a second set of steps up to the attic, and was still just standing there on them, only now the steps were completely on their own, supported by a barrel of molasses. Djinn had been opening up a door, and was now standing there, still in the position of holding the doorknob, with an old-style dress wrapped around her head. Our dragoon, Kess, had been just outside this ballet-studio type room, and wound up covered in bits of mirror.

Nina was sitting straddling the charred Jason's middle, with a dressmaker's mannequin under one arm, and Jason was described as "spread-eagled and looking like he was making a carbon angel".

Well, everyone recovered. Yes, Even Jason. But Nina's hair was still shorn. Regeneration spells don't do anything for hair. (Nina = :weep: ) The rest of the session was one long apology from Jason. Every time the session threatened to lag a bit, I'd have Jason off to the side saying, "I'm sorry! I really am! It was an accident! I mean, it wasn't an -accident-, I did mean to aim and all, but I thought it was Sephiroth! Really! See this note? How was I to know..." and on and on.

I think I should be given some kind of an award for follow-through for that situation... :rolleyes:

Players have a tendency to get indignant when they should be humble. My group's one (and only!) encounter with the real Champions degenerated into combat when my group’s Power Armor PC declared, “Hey, Defender, maybe you should take that armor back to your secret base and fit it for some power armor jaws, so you can… BITE MY A$$!!!â€

Sunday night we, a party of low level adventurers fought s lightweight of a mummy. (He was enough to kill us though) Anyway at one point the village priest attempts to protect the village from the Mummy by enacting a prayer to his god.

"I call upon Fufer's might!"

Mel: "What can Fufer Doofer you?"

Priest: "I have done what I can; we can only hope that the god of Travel will protect the village."

ME: "But the Village doesn't move!"

Priest:"May Fufer's blessings take you far away."

Oh and out of game this was the quote of the night; one of the main henchmen of a corrupt official is named Heyman Gaith.

One of the players kept calling him Hyman.

Then, he said

"Why do I keep saying that. A hyman is an appendage isn't it?....Oh wait."

But by then it was too late we were just rolling.

GM: "Its okay, you may come into contact with one someday."

:eek::rofl:

One of mine was when the Deadly Snowflake (alien with ice powers and a terrible command of english in the first days of the campaign) is fighting Gauntlet (Deathstroke the Terminator one off only TOUGHER)

The pair square off for a while and neither is able to get the upper hand. Snowflake decides to PRE attack Guantlet and demand he surrender.

Snowflake: Surrender vile miscreant!

Gauntlet: Ok! you're right hero. I cannot defeat you. I surrender.

Snowflake: Really? :Aproaches to put him in cuffs:

Gauntlet: Nah! :kicks her knocking her back about 9":

Snowflake: You cheated!

Gauntlet: I'm a supervillian. It is part of the territory.

Hawksmoor

Here's a few from the last session we had.

Koh is a Temporal Manipulator, and the campaign is approaching the cosmic level.

Koh: Whenever i figure out what i did, i'll try to repeat it..

[after Missile Reflecting an entire incoming barrage of artillary rounds]

Molly: It's a werewolf on fluff dry...

[right after Koh reflected the barrage back onto the enemy... the nearest thing next to Koh was a werewolf ally that now has all its fur on end, apparently from Koh's recent massive draw of power]

A bunch of us went to see Hellboy (great movie, by the way) and this happened while we were waiting for Hellboy to begin.

We had just seen the preview for the new Punisher movie and were commenting on it-

Friend: "Looks like it'll be better than the first one..."

Me: "The preview was better than the first one!"

Apparently, I said this a little too loud and it busted up several people who sat near enough to hear. Ok, I laughed, too. But I wasn't trying to be funny... really!

D&D: party is being mauled by a large pack of (Romero) zombies led by an "identical looking" one powerful enough to challenge us by itself.

PC (Evil ur-priest): I read my scroll of Gate, and call for a Solar (extremely powerful servant of Good)

DM: ... A Solar steps through the gate. It looks at you. It looks at the zombies. It turns to you and says, "I'll be back for you later." and attacks the zombies.

The evil PC runs away. The zombies are defeated and the Solar kindly true resurrects our dead before flying off after the evil PC.

Next week, his player comes with a new psionicist character instead...

I was running a playtest the other night, using the Champions as PCs for simplicity's sake (not everyone has 5th edition characters yet). Nighthawk and Witchcraft were in one part of the underground villain base when they get a warning from the rest of the team in another section -- the villains are going to try to release poison gas into the air supply. Nighthawk takes out his rebreather and gives it to Witchcraft.

Witchcraft: You're a gentleman.

Nighthawk: No, I'm Overconfident.

We've started keeping a regular record of quotes from our Champions game to post on our web site. Most of them are in game, but occasionally a few out of game comments will slip onto the list (more than a few from last night's game). Here's the top two from last night:

"I'm about the collapse the cave so someone take their @#%*ing turn!" - Jared (guest player visiting from out of state).

"Zephrem likes me. I feed him people." - Whispering Death (the teams ninja speaking about the ghost that haunts their base).

The rest of the quotes can be read here: Quotes - TLO3T

Heard this one at today's game. As a player was trying to justify buying down his code against killing:

"There's just so many times you can get your ass kicked in the outback of Canada before you realize that your attitude has to change."

Tonight's D&D game. I give you, the indecisive monk:

The scene: The party's dwarven mage had been bull-rushed off a ledge by a troll and both fell 100 feet to the bottom. From a lower ledge, the party's fighter, wearing a feather fall ring, leapt into the pit to assist the mage. Another troll, having fumbled horrendously while trying to attack the monk, also fell into the pit.

The following round, the mage is in the negatives, dying from the fall, both trolls are flanking the fighter and the monk, on the lower ledge, is peering over the edge debating on his next action:

Monk's Player: "So, how far is the drop?"

DM: "Sixty feet."

Monk's Player: "But only fifty feet if I land on the troll, right?"

~~~

We also had this classic quote, earlier in the evening, spoken like a true chaotic:

"Battle plans only last until the battle starts" -said by Jonathon the fighter right before he died...

~~~

Mags

Just came back from the U.K. Student Roleplaying Championships in Sheffield.

Best quote from my game was: "Don't worry, no ship I've been on has ever been captured intact by Pirates..." - Laurence Valroux (Jonothan)

The rest of the quotes are here.

Quotes from Gillian the Vampire Slayer

Characters

Gillian Black, Vampire Slayer

Jessica Pierce, demon symbiote host

Gavin Black, Gillian's twin brother (introduced in ep. 1.8)

Amy Nguyen, witch

Nigel Harker, Watcher

Andrew Wells (aka Andrew Harris), witch

George Carver, computer hacker and inventor

Quotes from Episode 1.1 "What Fresh Hell?"

"Can I get back to you in a few minutes? Because we're about to play (Jessica's) death scene and it's really important." -- GM to Nigel's Player

"What?!?" -- Jessica's Player

"Gillian probably won't get killed, but as soon as all of her little friends start dying, then maybe she'll listen to me." -- Nigel to GM

"(Andrew) faced the First." -- Amy's Player

"Actually, (Andrew) was the First's bitch." -- Andrew's Player

Quotes from Episode 1.2 "That's Entertainment!"

"Remind me to change roommates." -- George, waking up the morning after being poisoned during a demon attack

"I don't think it's so much your roommate. You just need to learn how to dodge." -- Nigel

"I'll go back to my room and read (Gillian's) Slayer's Handbook. Because apparently this is something important." -- Amy

"Oh good. At least someone will have read it." -- ?

"Then she can tell me what it says!" -- Gillian, excited

Quotes from episode 1.4 "Painful Lesson"

"Maybe I could date someone for real." -- Gillian

"I don't know, have you been to any parties recently?" -- Amy

"Where you haven't killed anyone?" -- Nigel

"The last party I went to turned into frat boys summoning demons in their basement." -- Gillian

"They all turn into that." -- Nigel

"Gillian, (Dorian) kind of saved your life. A thank-you note would at least be appropriate." -- Amy to Gillian

"So do I have to send all of you thank-you notes?" -- Gillian to the Scoobies

"No, we live with you." -- Amy

"I don't live with you, I want a thank-you note." -- Andrew

Episode 1.5 "It's Your Party"

"It's a horatham (demon)." -- Andrew

"A whore?" -- Gillian

"No, a horatham. It's like a whole bunch of whores." -- Andrew

"Competing. For charity." -- Amy

"I wonder if there's magic that can put hair on your back?" -- Amy

"I wonder if there's magic that can put hair on your chest?" -- Andrew

"At least one of us should have some." -- Amy

"I'm not going to be in the mood for my birthday party." -- Gillian to the group, after Amy tries to kill her

"So, like, is this where you're going to hate me forever? Just because I electrocuted you, kicked you in the head, and kicked you in the ribs?" -- Amy to Gillian

"I see Drusilla. She's touching Amy." *pause* "It's not a bad touch." -- Andrew, using his postcognitive powers

"It's Drusilla, of course it's a bad touch!" -- Amy

"Gillian, it's your roommate. Sorry I tried to kill you. We need to start planning your party. Stop pouting and give me a call." -- Amy, leaving voice mail for Gillian

Episode 1.8 "There's No Place Like Home"

"Do all Watchers wind up like Nigel?" -- Andrew

"How so?" -- Watcher

"Self-important and arrogant." -- Andrew

"Oh, no." -- Watcher

"What percentage?" -- George

Guest Starhawk1209

Setting:

Game campaign that started off small in NY and ended up a Universe Spanning series of misadventures.

Two heroes..

Cosmic Herald: Cosmic Powered Hero

Pyramid: Man embued with the essence of Kanivar, who became the God of Justice, wielder of the Rod of Justice.

Pyramid was played by an easy going person who had to leave the game early often for work. However, this player couldn't always be counted on to be 'easy going'. Once, to stop a little power myte, he leveled a building on himself and Cos. Another time, used minimal force on and Uber villain claiming he didn't want to hurt him too badly.

Now Pyramid and Cos were buddies, they started off small and grew as time went by and they were forced into incidents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group had just fought Menton and won. Menton was move to a stronghold prison in Albuquerque New Mexico.

Our characters were onboard are orbital platform which had a quirkly AI. The AI didn't like anyone but Pyramid.

Now Pyramid was apparently in a 'mood'.

Pyramid asked if the AI could locate Menton because the player found out that Menton didn't need to be free to bother us. Yeah I know, he should have figured that from the git go.. but oh well.

Pyramid: Can you find Menton?

GM: Yes he is in Albuquerque

Pyramid: Do we have anything onboard in the way of a weapon to hit him?

GM: Yes, there is a Energy Cannon.

Pyramid: I want Menton destroyed , shoot him.

GM: Okay, blast goes off and nukes Albuquerque

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once when Cos and Pyramid were needing to 'talk'. They held their 'talk' above NY ( in the Avenger Universe by then ).

They 'talked' back and forth until Pyramid was going to go unconscious.

He had been attacking while flying around on a Avengers Skycycle.

He lands and promptly throws the Skycycle at Cos. Now Cos, being a hero didn't want pieces of this thing falling into the city so he decides to take the shot. He wasn't hurt hardly and figured no problem.

GM: The cycle impacts on your forcefield.

Cos: Yeah how much damage?

Pyramid: Yeah, how much damage , I am hoping I put him out.

GM: You realize if he goes out, he will fall from that height?

Pyramid: that's okay, he can take it hahahaha

Cos: It wont even hurt , so give it to me.

Now.. Pyramid was built by the GM, he often played him when the player had to leave. He 'liked' the character, so I 'should' have known better. But alas....

GM: It explodes on your chest crashing through your forcefield, you take xxx number of body and are WAY out! The cycle was Nuclear powered.

Cos: "Nuclear Powered???"

GM: Yeah it was haha

Pyramid: Damn.. I want one of those!

GM: Cos you fly backwards out over the city and end up in the Atlantic, fortuntatley for you, you won't drown and should wake up in about a week.

A quote from tonight's elder Vampire game...

"Oh, God forbid we say rude things about the Tremere. Why, the anger from it all might force them to turn into a pack of intriguing, vitae-thieving, bloodline-ending vinculum-aping backstabbing murderers..."

"... whoops, too late!"

(For those who don't play VtM, suffice it to say that the Tremere are the vampires who are so sleazy that the other vampires noticed. You have to start hitting the Followers of Set or the devil-worshipping Baali before it gets worse.)

GM: It explodes on your chest crashing through your forcefield, you take xxx number of body and are WAY out! The cycle was Nuclear powered.

Cos: "Nuclear Powered???"

GM: Yeah it was haha

Pyramid: Damn.. I want one of those!

GM: Cos you fly backwards out over the city and end up in the Atlantic, fortuntatley for you, you won't drown and should wake up in about a week.

Maybe it's just me, but... this game sounds awful. I mean, like, not fun. From what you've described, it sounds like the GM plays favorites and the (only?) other player actively tries to make trouble. Please tell me it's better than it seems.