Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

The PCs are on their way to liberate a city, and have fallen behind their army. They're ambushed as they're catching up, and take one of their attackers captive. He turns over all of his weapons, and Daris approaches, his hands full. "We have enough weapons for an army from this guy!"

Later, Salem (NPC) is consulted on a matter of the heart by a Seraphic NPC. The PC sharing his tent asks what that was all about when he returns. "Seraphim angst," he replies.

Much later, Josh remarks OOC on a PC-made-NPC: "Danaecus Daycare. Now staffed with four hobbits who almost speak Common!"

Pretty serious game, and these aren't the speechifying type of PCs, so next week will probably resume the hilarity.

From Friday’s Jedi Academy campaign:

Jedi Knight Verra Fortuna (no relation, it’s like “Smith” with Twi’leks) just delivered two disabling wounds to a Dark Jedi’s arms.

Verra: Throw down your arms and come with us! :D

I gave Verra's player +2d6 to her Presence Attack for that one.

Guest Major Tom

Firewing has been appearing in our Kingdom City campaign' date=' and was the one who burnt his way thru the wall and [b']3[/b]'s Picasso print during The Coathanger Incident. Firewing announced his intention to kill the latest Storm Lord, but Vitus was more concerned, indeed apoplectic, at the continual invasions of his privacy. (Void also managed to add himself to Firewing's hitlist but we're not so worried about that - almost by definition, Void won't be there if anything turns up looking for him).

But according to The Law of Maximum Inconvenience, Firewing turned up AGAIN just as Vitus was settling down to a quiet evening without continual interruptions by the rest of the Skeleton Crew "Lets see.. I can either check calculations that can resurrect the entire world of Aura and all its inhabitants, or I can come help you investigate the murder of a local business tycoon. What do YOU think? Is your businessman going to get any deader?"

But by this point Vitus was already thinking in symbolic terms, and considering ways to best utilise local resources to achieve his longterm aims. And all it has taken so far is an offer of alliance with the demonic prince that invaded his, and 3's, homeworld, suggested the torture of Vitus and the murder of his son to Scorpia, and wants his Sceptre back; and some barefaced lying to an entity who makes a regular habit of reducing superheroes to crispy bacon.

Thus we have the following exchange

Firewing
: I have come for the Storm Lord

Vitus
: Ah, good to see you, please, come in. Firstly, I would like to thankyou for replacing my concubines Picasso. It's a pleasure to meet a truly civilised entity on this miserable world.

Firewing
: You're welcome. Where is he?

Vitus
: Given my current feeling towards my former colleagues, I'm tempted to give you their names and addresses, and my blessings. However, honesty forces me to pass on a message to you, from him.

Firewing
: Oh?

Vitus
: Yes. He forfeits. He is willing to offer you all merchandising and bragging rights, but he is not willing to risk the inevitable civilian casualties that would result from a fight he will certainly lose.

( the lie - this course of action had never even
occurred
to him, and will probably result in Vitus earning a good slapping. Followed by congratulations)

Firewing, smugly
: That IS true, but I was looking forward to his defeat at my hands

Vitus
: I'm sure you were. I gather you enjoy the challenge of testing yourself against other anthropomorphic personifications?

Firewing
: Of course. Why?

Vitus
: Have you ever killed an Elder God?

Firewing, intrigued
: No?

Vitus
: Excellent - then I would like to ask you to join me in a small project I'm sure you're find highly enjoyable.

Firewing
: A small project?

Vitus
: Yes. I'm going to sacrifice Cthulhu.

Vitus certainly doesn't lack much in the way of ambition, does he?

Major Tom :cool:

Vitus certainly doesn't lack much in the way of ambition, does he?

Major Tom :cool:

Nope :) There's a reason one of my Vitus icons is "Bask In My EGO Rays!"

funnily enough he has no real interest in being a ruler, as such, but will stop at nothing to create a more suitable society some ruler he approves of can rule - wth Vitus's wise advice at hand, of course

Guest Major Tom

tunnel vision' date=' certainly. Blinkered, one-eyed, narrow... but vision :)[/quote']

Either that, or he's horrifically nearsighted, and needs to make things

outrageously huge just to see them.

Major Tom :sneaky:

Well... you can't say the boy doesn't have ambitions....

EDIT: Phoo, somebody beat me to it. Oh well, Rep attempt anyways....

hooray! rep for me!

and the fact that you both have Cthulloid avatars frightens me.

Yet another Mind over Matter moment.

Romula: Gauntlet!

Gauntlet: Hi, honey, is everything working out all right for you?

Romula: Yes, I found a way to relax on planes!

Gauntlet (Dreading the answer): What's that?

Romula: It's called the Mile High Club

Gauntlet: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

(Later, after choking Romula's boyfriend, Gideon, a little bit.)

Gauntlet's Thought Balloon: No one ever asked ME to join the mile high club. (Sniff)

Our heroes rush to QualTech Labs, on a tip that it's being robbed. Seeing nothing obviously amiss, they walk in the front door and ask the receptionist:

Inertia: “Hi, are there any supervillains here?”

Foxbat has become infatuated with Inertia; he also knows her Secret ID (Meredith). Suddenly, every radio in New York starts broadcasting “FXBT, Foxbat FM, all love songs, all the time, all dedicated to That Special Someone...”

Built To Last (who has Psych Lim: Pathological Hatred of Beatles Music) reacts when the Grateful Dead concert he was listening to is suddenly interrupted by “Silly Love Songs.”

BTL: “I shut off the radio and go find Enigma (the mystic). It IS the Apocalypse!”

Simultaneously, Foxbat launches a string of jewelry store robberies. Inertia is the first to realize that the first letter of the names of the stores he’s robbing spell out M-E-R-E-D…

Inertia: “There’s a Foxbat exemption in the Code Vs Killing. Right?”

(Everyone agreed that if there isn’t, there darn well oughta be.)

Later, Inertia blasts Foxbat, knocking him across the street and into a planter box. But Foxbat makes his Luck roll, so the GM decides that all the damage was absorbed by an unimportant Focus. A brown-and-yellow clad arm sticks up out of the planter, holding a smashed electronic device:

Foxbat: "You broke my FoxbatBerry!"

Our heroes hand Foxbat over to the police:

Enigma: “One, treat him roughly. Two…”

Built To Last (who has Psych Lim: Pathological Hatred of Beatles Music) reacts when the Grateful Dead concert he was listening to is suddenly interrupted by “Silly Love Songs.”

BTL: “I shut off the radio and go find Enigma (the mystic). It IS the Apocalypse!”

Minor nitpick, Silly Love Songs is a Wings song. But I'll give it to you since Paul McCartney was in both groups.

Interesting plothook with Foxbat though. Good idea.

Simultaneously, Foxbat launches a string of jewelry store robberies. Inertia is the first to realize that the first letter of the names of the stores he’s robbing spell out M-E-R-E-D…

Inertia: “There’s a Foxbat exemption in the Code Vs Killing. Right?”

(Everyone agreed that if there isn’t, there darn well oughta be.)

You forgot the collective groan when everyone else figured it out.

I have to say you perfectly captured the nature of Foxbat with that bit. It was beautiful.

Only one I can remember from tonight's D&D game. It was mostly combat against mindless Demon hordes and some gargantual fiendish oozes, so not a lot of opportunities for funnies.

--------------

Astra (OOC) [watching the guy who had come single-handedly to arrest our 17th level characters romp in and kick some tail on the Demons]: Jeez! What level is this guy?

GM: Twentieth.

Astra: Jeepers.

Imet Toth (OOC): He didnt seem to have any problem with going out to round all of US up, remember?

Astra (OOC): I didnt ask about what his Wisdom score was... ;)

This is from a Shadowrun game some time ago, I don't remember all the character names any more. I was running a street sam named Kaitlin, Kat for short, one of her modifications was a cyber tail for balance. There was a troll who liked to dress like a leprachan (Liam), a human mage with a science background (he'll be mage 1), and the new mage with a sort of religious theme (mage 2).

There was a conversation between Liam and mage 2 when he first joined up:

Mage 2: "I was told to meet you guys here."

Liam introduces himself and points out the rest of the party: "....and over there with the tail, that's Kaitlin. Whatever you do, don't call her cat."

Meeting a few minutes later: "Hi, I'm Kat."

Mage 2: .....

-----------------------

A few sessions down the line we're trying to track down some object that's been taken from a museum that our Mr. Johnson wants found. Liam is wandering around looking at stuff, the mages are talking, and Kat has found something. She wants to have the mages take a look at it astrally to see if they can make any sense of it.

Kat: "I think I found something, but I'm not sure."

The mages ignore her and continue talking.

Kat: "Guys? I think I found something."

The mages continue ignoring her. She gets irritated and grabs mage 2 by the arm and drags him out of the building to make him take a look. He astrally projects, leaving Kat with his body (which she promptly dumps in a nearby dumpster and closes so he can't find it easily). He goes back to continue his conversation.

Mage 2: "As I was saying before she interupted..."

Mage 1: "Where's your body?"

Mage 2: "I left it....with..........Kat....Oh no!"

Minor nitpick' date=' Silly Love Songs is a Wings song. But I'll give it to you since Paul McCartney was in both groups. [/quote']

;) His hatred extends to all things touched by the Beatles as individuals, not just the band itself.

Here are some from previous games that I forgot to post:

Our heroes are at a fancy masquerade ball. Most of the PCs are mingling, but Built To Last (both in and out of character) is a bit bored at the lack of fighting:

GM: “What do you all do?”

Enigma: “I hit on more frat boys.”

BTL: (excited, evil grin) “We can hit frat boys?!”

GM describes an NPC:

GM: “He kinda looks like Nick Fury.”

Promethean: "Hasselhoff?”

GM: (points towards the door) “Out, Blasphemer!”

Enigma: “Rocks fall. Promethean dies.”

A few that are funnier sans context:

“I’m with the fetish elf.”

“No, DEMON does not have a 1-800 number!”

“Phase 2 -- Dr. Destroyer laughs maniacally…”

“Are you trying to be unconscious? I can help!”

“Right now, they’re more scared of you than they are of Dr. Destroyer. Granted, you’re there and the Destroyer isn’t. But still...not bad.”

Lastly, I didn’t quite get to the quote with this bit, but still a funny situation. At the end of the session, Dr. Destroyer appears for a parting monologue. The GM fumbles a bit, and pauses in mid-speech to catch his breath. The MP3 player chooses that precise moment to shuffle to “In the Hall of the Fire Giants” from the Peer Gynt Suite. Mood broken, Dr. Destroyer slinks off… :(

;) His hatred extends to all things touched by the Beatles as individuals' date=' not just the band itself. [/quote']

Does this come up often enough that he got points for this?

Some bits from the first regular session of my new Traveller Hero campaign, "Traders of the Spinward Marches." I will be posting more details on the campaign in the Star Hero forum. The campaign opens in the middle of the Fifth Frontier War.

The crew of the Arcadia, an aging rustbucket Far Trader, consists of four human males (PCs), a female replicant (NPC), and a male Vargr (PC). They've been recruited as naval auxillaries, and their first assignment is to shuttle supplies and a couple of Imperial marine fire teams to an outpost about a dozen parsecs away.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Female Imperial marine upon first seeing the ship: "It's a piece of junk!"

Lupo (PC-Vargr Pilot): "Hey! She's made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."

More Star Wars riffs quickly followed. :)

Another Imperial marine "Is there any entertainment on this ship?"

Benington (PC-Ship's Doctor): "We've got a Vargr."

The ship's engineer does some maintenance work a few jumps out and promptly rolls an 18 on his Mechanics check.

GM (Me): "It looks like the air scrubbers are burned out."

Owens (PC-Mechanic): "It's not my fault! The navy techs pulled out all my mods when they retrofitted the ship. You know the Vargr sheds."

Does this come up often enough that he got points for this?

I gave him 5 points. I think of it as: -5 for Extremely Uncommon, +10 for Total Intensity. If it was just a case of the player munchkining for more points, I would've shot it down. But this character could easily have 50 points of additional Psych Lims just for being himself, so I didn't sweat it. It's funny and it makes him happy. :)

The weirder part is, it's actually an integral part of the character's backstory. :ugly: