Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Sorry to give you a false reading. I do indeed enjoy working song lines into casual conversation.

However, I don't know any Led Zeppelin songs, and I suspected that most of the ones I might reference might not be understood....

I'll give you a 50/50 shot of coming up with something I've never heard.

Meh, 40% chance you can do that, I'm feeling cocky. Just Strait Out Of Line today.

40% huh? Well, we should definitely keep it civil. Just because you and I must fight for our rights, that we must fight to survive, well, it doesn't mean we have to get out of hand. If you'll come ride with me through the veils of history, I think we might find some sort of mutual music ground.

If not, well, it would not taste of kittens and the Robot Lords of Tokyo would not smile.

(Two song references. A bit forced, but clear I believe).

Tonight, one of my roomies started a "Vampire Slayer" game. Here are a few samples.

------------

Vampire: C'mere, little girl!

Jinx: You dont want to eat me! I...um...I had mono last month! And you dont want to get THAT kinda thing all up in your bloodstream!

------------

Teddi: Well, it appears that we are going to be friends, after all.

Jinx: Im sorry, for your social standing. We can have a funeral service for it after school, if you want to.

------------

Vampire: Raaaaahr!

Jinx: Look! A cross! *whips out her cell phone and triggers the camera flash*

Vampire*cowers*: Aaaaagh!

Teddi *stakes vampire*: Moron.

Vampire: *poof!*

------------

Teddi (OOC): Has anyone seen my game book?

Jinx (OOC): This is my gamebook....There are many like it, but this one is mine! :dyn

-----------

Obviously, Jinx was on a roll! There were other comments, but unfortunately I didnt write them all down (Ill try to do better next time) ;)

The villain throws a wrench into the works when his wife vanishes and he thinks the party's responsible for her disappearance.

Flora: "Lyrien's a vampire?"

Rastal: "Does this mean we need to get another bard?"

Flora (about the royal family): "There's a vampire in the castle now. They need to know."

Daris: "No, they don't."

Following a TMI by the GM . . .

Flora (OOC): "Back to the non-kinky game, because there's no sex cult this game so far."

Daris (OOC): ". . . Yet."

Rastal (following two PCs talking about how non-subtle Rastal can be): "I'm hurt by these comments."

Daris: "Only because they're true."

And, describing an earth-dragon's breath weapon: "Rocks fall; they all die."

From my Champions game, two weeks ago plus last night.

The local VIPER Nest is attacking the local PRIMUS base, en masse. Over two hundred VIPER agents, air-cav agents, fighter jets, two tanks, a half-dozen Mech-VIPERs... HUGE battle going on. Heroes were lured to the other side of town so they're arriving late, after VIPER has had some time to pound pretty hard on PRIMUS and local police officers. VIPER has also had time to fly off with the captured Silver Avenger, the PRIMUS base commander, and a female doctor, Emily Patterson, who is the true target of the VIPER operation.

One PRIMUS agent, a female named Sgt. Hix, had just broken off a relationship with PC hero Squeeze. He didn’t know it, but she had become mystically bound to a powerful, evil magical artifact, which was making her increasingly emotionally unstable. And she’s just watched VIPER agents KO all of her teammates, including Mac, a Tim Allen-type who likes to personally “upgrade” his weapon to make it more powerful.

VIPER agent (leaping onto car and pointing weapon down at her): Die!

Sgt. Hix: I… DON’T… THINK… SO!!!

GM (rolls 21d6): You see her blast the agent, leaving only a pair of smoking boots.

Serendipity: What’d she do, borrow Mac’s gun?

Hix then flies up and blasts a VIPER Air-Cav squad, sending them tumbling away. Squeeze can now see the magical Coin of Power glowing in her hand.

Squeeze: (expletive deleted)

Sentinel heals PRIMUS Lt. Tinsdale, Sgt. Hix’s immediate superior.

Tinsdale: Hix! Get down here!

Hix: I’m *through* taking orders from *you*! (TK grabs Tinsdale and throws him 50 meters straight up)

Sentinel (flying up to catch Tinsdale): Hey! I just *healed* him!

The VIPER Nest Leader, Windchill, is directing combat operations from a dirigible far overhead, hiding in a self-generated cloud. (Dirigible is courtesy of the NYC Nest Leader, the Grandfather, who sent one of his lieutenants, Golden Boy, to assist.) The players didn’t know this, however, when the following happened:

Synergy, desperately battling a Mech-VIPER: (OOC) I’m going to try to distract it. (IC, points up at the sky) Look! A blimp!

GM (thinking, “what the heck?”): You look up where you’re pointing, and amazingly enough, you see this (shows picture of VIPER airship) coming briefly out of a cloud.

Synergy: Oh, my God! It really IS a blimp!

GM: You see one of the VIPER flying APCs take off from the roof of the PRIMUS building. Then the doors on both sides open, and the VTOL APC beings a slow roll, causing VIPER agents to fall to the street several stories below.

Squeeze: They’re falling like sacks of wet cement! Oh, the humanity!

GM (catching the WKRP reference): To my dying day, I swear I thought VIPER agents could fly.

GM: The APC drops down to hover beside Squeeze, and the canopy opens. You see PRIMUS Lt. Earnhart, in a ‘borrowed’ VIPER uniform.

Earnhart: Hey, Squeeze, how’s it going? I think I’m getting the hang of this thing! Think they’ll let me keep it?

The heroes are tying to figure out how they’ll get up to the airship without putting Earnhart at risk, in case the APC gets shot down by the airship.

Sentinel (looking at the APC, then at her teammates): Can any of you fly?

Serendipity: I can.

Sentinel: Okay, you can pilot the APC while…

Serendipity: Oh, I can’t fly *that*.

Sentinel: But you said you can fly!

Serendipity: I meant, I can fly! (hovers off the sidewalk)

The heroes hop into the APC and Earnhart flies them to the VIPER airship to rescue the hostages. Synergy takes the uniform from a captured VIPER agent and puts it on enroute. The airship crew takes remote control of the APC to guide it through the cloud and land it on the airship’s flight deck. The heroes look out the front window to see Windchill and Golden Boy standing there talking, while a squad of VIPER agents stands to one side. These agents have white trim, whereas Synergy’s uniform has the standard yellow trim. Synergy gets out of the APC and walks toward the bad guys, hoping the uniform difference isn’t going to be a problem.

Golden Boy (looks at Synergy, then turns to Windchill): He’s one of yours.

Windchill (turns to Synergy): Report.

GM: Golden Boy is walking away, mumbling something into his radio. Roll sight PER. (Synergy makes it by 2) You notice the agents surreptitiously switch on their weapons.

Squeeze: The jig is up!

Synergy (OOC) And gone! (IC, to Windchill): Message for you, sir! (Blasts with both hands)

The heroes exit the APC and begin the battle. Shortly after, the airship crew remote-controls the APC, with Earnhart still aboard, to go backwards off the landing area and drop toward Lake Michigan far below.

Synergy: I get on the radio. Earnhart, how’s it going?

Earnhart: FALLING!!! FALLING!!!

Synergy: Turn off the autopilot, Earnhart.

Earnhart: NOT WORKING! STILL FALLING!!! (Sound of smashing controls) THAT DIDN’T WORK EITHER! STILL FALLING!!!

A squad of VIPER Air-Cav fly into the hangar area and blast Squeeze, stunning him. Styx jumps over and clubs a few agents like baby seals.

VIPER Air-Cav squad leader: Forget him, he's inconsequential! Press the attack on Squeeze!

Styx: Inconsequential?! I'll show you inconsequential!

After the heroes finally beat all the supervillains and VIPER agents on the flight deck (and Earnhart disables the autopilot), the airship engines rotate to point straight down and it begins to drop like an express elevator. Synergy heads down to the control gondola to discover the controls blasted apart and the crew had flown off using VIPER-issue jetpacks.

GM: You hear banging on the locked door behind you, and a female voice saying, “Einer! Let me out of here *right now*!”

Synergy: I open the door.

Dr. Patterson: You’re not Ein… I mean, Windchill! (recovers her wits) Take me to Windchill immediately!

Synergy (still in his borrowed VIPER uniform): Aren’t you going to say, ‘You’re too short to be a VIPER agent’?

Synergy takes Dr. Patterson up to the flight deck, where the other heroes are preparing to toss an empty APC overboard.

Synergy: Wait! I need some stuff from there! (He flies into the APC, and the others hear him ripping out parts of the APC’s control systems.)

Sentinel: Synergy, we need to toss this overboard so Earnhart can land and pick us up before this thing crashes!

Synergy: Go ahead! I can fly!

With too many non-flying allies + KO’d VIPERs and not enough room in the APC, Earnhart flies the VTOL off the airship leaving Synergy and Styx behind.

Sytx: I dive off the airship. (rolls dice) I make my acrobatics roll by 5. How many flips can I do before I hit the water?

Synergy jury-rigs some controls, makes his Inventor roll by 9 but just misses his Electronics roll. The player mimes turning the dial.

GM: Your impromptu controls look okay, but nothing happens. The engines are still pointed straight down.

Synergy: (mimes turning the box 180 degrees, then turning the dial the other direction) How about now?

Synergy jury-rigs some controls, makes his Inventor roll by 9 but just misses his Electronics roll. The player mimes turning the dial.

GM: Your impromptu controls look okay, but nothing happens. The engines are still pointed straight down.

Synergy: (mimes turning the box 180 degrees, then turning the dial the other direction) How about now?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apparently some minor elements have a tendency to stick in the players' minds more than some of the more prevalent themes. ^ v ^

Derailing the adventure on irrelevant, and often raunchy, tangents is practically an Olympic sport in my gaming group.

My favorite such derailment was in a Champions campaign involving an Odo-like shapechanger called Moleculon. One of his powers was the ability to sprout extra limbs of various shapes and sizes at will. There was much discussion one night among the ladies of the group about what, exactly, constitutes a "limb". :D

Derailing the adventure on irrelevant, and often raunchy, tangents is practically an Olympic sport in my gaming group.

My favorite such derailment was in a Champions campaign involving an Odo-like shapechanger called Moleculon. One of his powers was the ability to sprout extra limbs of various shapes and sizes at will. There was much discussion one night among the ladies of the group about what, exactly, constitutes a "limb". :D

I have a small group. Tangents tend to go back on-topic pretty quickly, and they don't do a lot of exploration in the more salacious aspects of my game world.

They've never even asked what the limits are of the draconic shape-shifting abilities. :eg:

I have a small group. Tangents tend to go back on-topic pretty quickly, and they don't do a lot of exploration in the more salacious aspects of my game world.

They've never even asked what the limits are of the draconic shape-shiting abilities. :eg:

Ours is a small group, too. Just a wee bit more... overt, about sexuality than most :sneaky: We never do anything more graphic Rated-R in game. But out of game... my-oh-my, does the inuendo fly. :sneaky:

Ours is a small group' date=' too. Just a wee bit more... overt, about sexuality than most :sneaky: We never do anything more graphic Rated-R in game. But out of game... my-oh-my, does the inuendo fly. :sneaky:[/quote']

I wouldn't call the couple we game with prudish, or anything, but they certainly prefer to keep certain matters private. As GM, I respect that.

Quotes from session #3 of my Traveller Hero game.

The PCs have discovered a 5000 displacement ton research station hidden in the Oort Cloud of the Singer system in District 268. They snuck aboard with some fancy flying and then hiding the Arcadia behind an asteroid passing near the station.

---------------------------------------------

After sneaking aboard through a garbage disposal bay, then blowing away two unsuspecting guards with a frag grenade and some assault rifle bursts, they capture a waste disposal technician with a stutter.

Tech: "D-d-d-d-don't h-h-h-hurt m-me!"

Bennington: "Great. We've captured a janitor."

Cannon: "Yeah, but he's gotta know where everything is."

A little later on, the interrogation is not going quickly.

Tech: "You're looking f-f-for the c-c-c-c-c-c..."

Owens: "Computer?"

Tech: "Thank you. You n-n-need to g-go to the l-l-l-l..."

Owens: "Left?"

Tech: "Thank you."

Bennington: "I love this guy. Can we keep him when we leave?"

Cannon (OOC) to Lupo's PC: "Don't you have any wolf powers?"

GM (Me): "What, like Wonder Wolf powers activate sort of abilities?"

The party finds out there are fifty mercenaries guarding the station.

Lupo: "I sense an enormous firefight coming up."

They ride up the elevator, ready for a fight, listening to "The Girl from Ipanema"

Owens (OOC): "I guess muzak is eternal."

The big fight gets going against the first batch of mercenaries. I only got a few gems down.

Lupo: "There's too many! Kill them faster!"

Cannon (OOC) to Lupo's PC: "Use your wolf powers! Impress Joe! C'mon, you can do it."

Owens to Bennington: "What about your hypocritic oath?"

After taking a solid shot to location 13 which stuns him, Cannon says OOC "Let me know when it's my turn to lay down some hate on Captain Deady McDeadpants." :D

Cannon: "I love it when they can't fight back." :eek:

Here is a quote from a D & D game long, long ago, in a state, far, far away.

We had about 6 players, one being a woman. Her female character was married to a male character. They were not personally involved outside the game. I rolled to see if she was pregant - she wasn't, but I told her she thought she was. She told the male character, who promptly went into "Yeah, I'm good, who's your daddy?" mode. She then said "What makes you think it's yours?" One other player fell backward out of his chair, still laughing. I think it took 20 - 30 minutes to get back to the game. This incident was cited for years - even when she left the group.

Cannon (OOC) to Lupo's PC: "Don't you have any wolf powers?"

GM (Me): "What, like Wonder Wolf powers activate sort of abilities?"

Lupo: "There's too many! Kill them faster!"

After taking a solid shot to location 13 which stuns him, Cannon says OOC "Let me know when it's my turn to lay down some hate on Captain Deady McDeadpants." :D

Repped!

From the Mutant Age post-apoc game...

---------

Staci: Just what we need...a Kill-o-saur on Combat Drugs!

-----------

Jassey: Now that Ive read her mind, I know what she knows about the layout of the place. Inf act, itll be like Ive been there, even tho I havent. Thats gonna be so weird...

Staci: Deja you!

-------------

Charlie: Im afraid no one will want to be with me, now that Im not...symmetrical.

Jassey: Im sorry. Im the one that cut off your arm...

Charlie: No, no. You were right to do it. Id rather be a live girl missing an arm than a flesh-eating zombie

Jassey: Um..well...at least youre more likely to "get some" as an amputee than as a zombie!

Charlie: Id hope so!

Jassey *thinks about it seriously*: ....Me too @.@

Wiki: Well actually-

All: SHUT UP!

------------------

GM: The robots are unyeilding, untiring, and made of hard, metallic.....

Staci (OOC): Un-funium?

-----------------

GM: Jassey, youve found out that your new racer friend, Brin, is good at two things...

Staci (OOC): Both involve "driving" :sneaky:

---------------------

Jassey (OOC): Im thinking of forming a mental link.......And since Im THINKING about it...

-------------

Jassey: Fish, look after the dog.

Fish: Jawohl.

Jassey: ...What?

Staci: Hes turning German. Let it go.

Johnny: Nooooooooo!

GM: Jassey, youve found out that your new racer friend, Brin, is good at two things...

Staci (OOC): Both involve "driving" :sneaky:

Racing and golf?

I'm reminded of our character synopsis for "Biff the Wizard" years ago. (Imagine the stereotypical blond jock from every teen movie ever).

"He's good at passes (wave hands mystically), passes (mime throwing a football), and passes (waggle eyebrows)..."

On Ape Island:

Cybervulture: That's nice...could someone get this electrical rod out of my (ZZZZT!) AAAAAAAAAAAA...Neck?

Accelero: Think again, hairless one! Now you face Accelero, the Fastest Ape Alive!

"Who was that mysterious masked ape?" (Yeah, someone actually said this)

Golden Fencer: We're on an island. We're not near Denver anymore.

Streamline: (Sarcastic Tone) I never would have figured that out, because there are NO ISLANDS ANYWHERE NEAR DENVER!

Golden Fencer's Player: I look around...!@#$%!, I'm BLIND. I can't actually READ ANYTHING OR UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF!

During a huge extradimensional invasion ............

Emerald Dragon- Was that the Demon Prince of Wusses?

Sister Payback (stunned next to the leering Prince of Foulness)- I'm not going to look! You can't make me, I don't have to take a Recovery if I don't want to!

Mantis - So all we have to do when the Crowns of Krynn get here is have someone dress up like Tacophonix the Lich.

Emerald Dragon - I'll do it.

So, in a new D&D game, we have a Whisper Gnome Ranger (the quietest thing alive), an Elven Rogue, and myself, a Laika Cleric (a wolf-like race from the Savage Species Web Enhancement, for the curious). During a trek up a mountain, the elf realizes we're being followed.

Elf: "We have a tail."

Me/Gnome in stereo: "Well, I/he do/does." (we both indicate my character)

Elf: "Not what I meant ..."

We're down in Atlantis chatting with the king about the latest threat to the world, the Titans of old busting loose.

Ultrawoman! : "So, how did the gods beat them anyways?"

King: "Zeus was powerful, and the gods had allies as well."

Ultrawoman! : "Allies? Such as...?"

King: "The Hecatonchires."

Ultrawoman! : "Hecatonchires? What are they?"

King: "Hundred-handed ones."

Ultrawoman! : "Ah...I've been on some dates with those."

Crisis: "You know...not all men are like that."

Ultrawoman! : "Hey...I didn't say that they were bad dates."

(Having been teleported to a jungle world, former Bollywood star Rashaka and his girlfriend, Samantha, make their way through the woods... and Rash blows a critical PER roll to notice the stealthy natives by 1.)

"You know I've done allot of bollywood movies in the jungles around Hyrdrobad. I've picked up a thing or two about survival in places like this. The first rule is, you have to to be alert! Use all your senses to be totally aware of your environment at all times."

Thuwwwp

Thuwwwp

Thuwwwp

"Yesss... Alert.... and aware........ at .... all ...... timesssss...."

The Via party discovers they're being stalked, and gets a description of the necromancer hired to make their lives difficult. She goes about cloaked during the day, and is serving Aciarren in a wish to be made into a vampire, like him.

Daris (OOC), incredulously: "So she's an Anne Rice goth wannabe?"

Flora, discussing the threat level: "And she must have lackeys because . . . there's always lackeys!"

Later, the party talks to Rastal about his lethality toward enemies, and how that's going to bite them, somewhere up the road. Flora says, "You need to turn it down a notch. Against lackeys? Nonlethal. The necromancer? Lethal's fine."

Still talking to Rastal about needing to change his habits, Flora says, "It's a twelve-step program. Step one: don't kill people. Step two: don't kill people." (The party then collaborated on the next ten steps, much to the GM's amusement.)

Rastal, sending a message to the NPC who left in disgust under the impression he was fine with using, and hurting people to further his goals: "I've turned over a new leaf. I won't do it again. P.S.: You're being used as a decoy. It wasn't me."

Last night's D&D game:

A noble was killed by what appears to be an Infernal Dire Were-Wolverine, and his 12-14 year-old servant boy was the only witness. Thinking maybe the boy was the actual culprit, the heroes offer to take him in "protective custody" to another town to supposedly turn him over to the orphanage there.

Aren (male fighter): "I'm teaching him calisthenics; I'll make a man of him."

DM: :eek:

A few moments later...

Aren: After we get done, I want to take the lad to a "guards bar."

DM: :eek:

Aren: Is there one nearby?

Y'llek: Well, there's Ye Olde Blue Oyster Pub...

DM: So are you all going to the "orc castle" to the north, or heading to Randarn to investigate the Infernal Dire Were-Wolverine?

Y'llek (rabidly orc-hating ranger): Orc castle! I'm telling you, the orcs are behind Lord Whyte's killing! This whole "wolverine" thing is just a subterfuge!

After the four male heroes argued over whose room the kid was going to sleep in (none of them wanted a potential were-wolverine in the same room with them):

Devlyn (female rogue): To heck with it! The kid can stay in the same room as Leila and me!

Ryan: *She'll* make a man out of him!

Y'llek reluctantly agrees with the rest of the party to investigate Lord Whyte's death after all, and the heroes travel south to Randarn, the noble's home city. We discover that an engaged couple staying at the same inn as the noble were using fake names and left Randarn with one of Lord Whyte's caravans (a huge shipment of fine weapons) heading northeast to a city on the coast, whose name I've forgotten.

We travel at best possible speed (augmented with magic) to try and catch up with the caravan, verifying at several towns enroute that the couple was indeed traveling with the caravan. And just five hours travel from the coastal city, we encounter the caravan heading *away* from the city, back toward Randarn. The couple is not with them.

We also discover that the caravan never went to the city, but instead turned off the road, and somebody (likely a druid) covered up the tracks with a bunch of raspberry bushes.

Il'Marcum (in a Dark Helmet voice): Only one person would dare give us the raspberry!

A few Survival / Tracking rolls later, we find out the couple, along with some huge creatures (leaving giant footprints) are heading northwest.

Ryan: What's in that direction?

DM: Well, if they keep heading that same direction, the only thing that way is the castle...

Y'llek: I TOLD YOU! IT WAS THE ORCS! NOBODY BELIEVED ME! IT!!! WAS!!! THE!!! ORCS!!!