Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

My wife and I were talking to a friend of hers(Sarah) who had just gotten back from making a character for a D&D game she wants to join. I asked her what kind of character she had made. Turns out its an elven druid. She then goes on to hope out loud that the DM will give her a cool animal companion like a tiger or some other big cat. Upon hearing that my wife exclaims: "A tiger? How many points does that cost?!?!"

I love my wife! :king:

In a campaign where a previous mundane reality is suddenly turning super, Robert aka Sunhawk, is seeking to understand more about himself and his powers. He ends up going to find the closest thing to an expert

A comic book shop guy. When Robert explains what he wants, the store owner (who I have dubbed "Guru" until I can think of another name) answers thusly:

"Flattering...yes, the lore is here... it has always been here," The man seems to have a tendency for Shatneresqe pauses, he steps from his stool, and comes around, "You come... I am sure... seeking to understand the icons, the mythos, now that those icons are true. Wise, very wise...no gods with form spring fully out of the void, no... we give them form, and we've been giving them form for decades. At last... at long last, that form is three dimensional. Exciting times, exciting times... and here " He gestures to rows and rows of old comics, "Here is your library of Alexandria, though instead of with flames, the barbarians sought to purge it with derision, with scorn... fortunately, unlike Alexandria, we have salvaged what we can. Still, so much is lost...Gruenwald, Ditko, Kirby... Segiel...Simon.. these voices are quiet now, and how, much they could tell if only they'd had a few more decades to give vision to their voice."

"So...what do you wish to know first?" The Comic Book guy asks.

Suffice to say, I had fun with him ;)

In a campaign where a previous mundane reality is suddenly turning super, Robert aka Sunhawk, is seeking to understand more about himself and his powers. He ends up going to find the closest thing to an expert

A comic book shop guy. When Robert explains what he wants, the store owner (who I have dubbed "Guru" until I can think of another name) answers thusly:

"Flattering...yes, the lore is here... it has always been here," The man seems to have a tendency for Shatneresqe pauses, he steps from his stool, and comes around, "You come... I am sure... seeking to understand the icons, the mythos, now that those icons are true. Wise, very wise...no gods with form spring fully out of the void, no... we give them form, and we've been giving them form for decades. At last... at long last, that form is three dimensional. Exciting times, exciting times... and here " He gestures to rows and rows of old comics, "Here is your library of Alexandria, though instead of with flames, the barbarians sought to purge it with derision, with scorn... fortunately, unlike Alexandria, we have salvaged what we can. Still, so much is lost...Gruenwald, Ditko, Kirby... Segiel...Simon.. these voices are quiet now, and how, much they could tell if only they'd had a few more decades to give vision to their voice."

His name should be a combination of classic comic creators (like Jack Lee, Stan Kirby, Neil O'Neil, Danny Adams, and so on).

A few from the Metaworld Outsiders campaign

--------------

Red Ronin: Yeah, whatever. I didnt realize I was, you know, in the presence of greatness.

Sigil: Most dont.

---------------

Red Ronin: So...how long you been out of jail?

Sigil: What time is it?

---------------

[Red Ronin brings Sigil to the team's base; a renovated section of abandoned subway]

Sigil: ...I like the renovations.

Red Ronin: This place couldnt have gotten any worse looking.

Sigil: Clearly, you are not a child of the 70's.

------------------

Red Ronin: You were a supervillain?

Sigil: You know, people get typecast so easily. You crush one car, you throw one I-beam...

-----------------

Sigil: When do we meet ALice and the rabbit-hole?

Red Ronin: Not just yet.

Sigil: You dont "rabbit hole" on the first date?

----------------

Mugger: Back off, man!

Sigil: If you cant afford the bullet to shoot me, just throw the gun.

Mugger: *shoots, the bullet deflecting off of Sigils chest*

Sigil: Should have saved the money...

...Followed by some thrilling stories of the Masked Alliance, the premiere super-group of 1936

---------------

Captain Lightning: Im gonna go kiss some hands and shake some babies...

----------------

GM: Your ferret got into the helmet, much to my surprise

--------------

Captain Lightning: Fire in the hole!

Black Bat (OOC): Id see a doctor about that

---------------

Black Bat (OOC): Ride the wild cockroach!

-------------

[Two giant insects try to attack Captain Lightning, but fumble, butting heads]

Captain Lightning: You boys better work on that :cool:

-------------

[Hardcase, man of stone, stands astride his massive catapult]

Hardcase: Heed me, surface dwellers! You have been judged wanting by the Emperor of Sub-Terra, and as such shall be taught a lesson! I shall use this wonderous SUb-Terran war machine to launch this massive boulder of Vibranite. See how it vibrates in its tethers? It yearns to destroy your cities! Once it has been activated by this detonator, I shall hurl it into your blasphemous, open sky, and it shall rain down upon this city such destruction as you have never seen!

Black Bat: *Dodges around the giant insects and cuts loose the Vibranite, before it can be activated.*

Vibranite Boulder: *Bounces down the long tunnel back to Sub-Terra*

Hardcase: Impudent surface harlot! You shall pay for thwarting the will of the Emperor of Sub-Terra!

[Hardcase jumps down onto the spar of the catapult to attack Black Bat]

Hardcase: *Swings and misses*

Black Bat: *Vaults over Hardcase and onto the control seat of the catapult...and then she grins grimly at Hardcase and pulls the firing lever*

Hardcase: AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh.....!*

--------------

GM: You have been stung

Mystarra(OOC): More than once :sneaky:

---------------

GM: Hardcase throws the car, which lands and skids to a stop here. You can smell the oil and gasoline...

Captain Lightning (OOC): At least theres nothing hot there

Mystarra (OOC): Except for Mystarra and Black Bat! :D

--------------

Hardcase *Weilding a car over his head*: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE MY DEDICATION TO THE LORD OF SUB-TERRA!

Mystarra: I......I got nothin! :o

----------------

GM: Captain Lightning, whats your Defense?

Captain Lightning (OOC): No one ever taught me any better?

-------------------

Black Bat (OOC): I burn a Hero Point for Improved Critical: Construction Vehicle!

------------------

Red Mole: I had no idea such able warriors had come to defend this city, in the years that I have been gone!

Black Bat: How long have you been gone?

Red Mole: What year is it?

Black Bat and Mystarra (in unison): Nineteen Thirty-Six

Red Mole: .......Nine months, it seems :straight:

-----------------

Mystarra: Thanks for the ride.

Human Rocket: Any time! And you didnt even catch fire, or anything! :)

Mystarra: Wait, that was an option! :eek:

-----------------

Special Agent Nemo: Who's your friend?

Black Bat: The Red Mole

Red Mole: Defender of Justice where you cannot see!

Agent Nemo: That sounds...uncomfortable.

----------------

Black Bat (OOC): Ill call Agent nemo.

Captain Lightning (OOC): Lets wait till we have a plan!

Black Bat (OOC): I will hang up on Agent nemo.

---------------

Mystarra: Does anyone have any of these "soul gems" the Lord of Sub-Terra wants so badly?

Red Mole: I have one

Mystarra: May I?

Red Mole: Of course! .... This....doesnt mean that we're married.

Mystarra: ...How sad. :rolleyes:

-----------------

Captain Lightning (OOC): Ill cancel my dinner date.

GM: Justice gets a room key ;)

----------------

Human Rocket: Why does the man on the radio keep calling me a "boy"?

Black Bat: Time.

-----------------

Black Bat: Are you using some kind of device to fly?

Human Rocket: Its the suit.

Black Bat: Id like to examine the suit some time, when youre confortable with the idea.

Human Rocket: Um.....

Mystarra (OOC): Hes thinking of being with her, naked, isnt he?

All male Players: I AM!

Black Bat: Id like to examine the suit some time, when youre confortable with the idea.

Heck, I'm not even in the game and my mind went there :o

Oh sure, it *sounds* like a great opportunity... but imagine what it'll do to the ego when you realize that she really *is* more interested in the wrapper than the present. ;)

Oh sure' date=' it *sounds* like a great opportunity... but imagine what it'll do to the ego when you realize that she really *is* more interested in the wrapper than the present. ;)[/quote']

Yeah, but it might be worth while just to have the rest of the group listening in at the door and totally being mislead by what's really going on

"My god, your thrust is incredible!"

(She admires the flight systems)

"You can go on forever!"

(Good fuel cells in this)

"It's too big..."

(She suggests switching to more nano tech for the circuitry)

Meanwhile,Human Rocket's eavesdropping teammates are having their eyes bug out :)

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that my mental 'voice' for this character had a striking similiarity to a well known comic 'guru' from a certain animated show, now in it's umpteenth year.

[edit] Had to figure out how to add Rep just for doing this to a PC [/edit]

I'm pretty sure that's a rewrite of his original quote' date=' "beer" being the noun in place of "sex."[/quote']

Homer's a middle-aged married guy. Of course "beer" was the original noun. :P

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that my mental 'voice' for this character had a striking similiarity to a well known comic 'guru' from a certain animated show' date=' now in it's umpteenth year[/quote']You weren't alone. :)

It was interesting to note that even in my wife's absence, her Smut Field (Change Environment, Area Of Effect, EGO Check or every sentence becomes inadvertent Innuendo) was still in effect.

Amongst what was really a very low-key afternoon episode, Miss Chaos found a stall selling modified GI Joe action figure made out to look like the members of our team, The Edge, and bought a set. Trawler immediately got to work recreating recent events in Edge history - such as setting his figure in green Jello - so he could post photos to the groups MySpace page.

Miss Chaos
: slightly irritated by this toy abuse "How much effort are you going to go to, to torture your own figurine?

: I want to set mine on fire! It's more realistic that way!
:D

Miss Chaos merely checked whether hers was wearing underwear. It was, which was inaccurate - she wears jeans under her uniform.

Elsewhere, Zero was meeting an engineered dolphin. A dolphin with a diamond rostrum, super-speed, global sensory powers, and some telepathy.

Zero OOC
:P
: *sings* A
-mega-hearing-psychic-dolphin

The dolphin had some information for us but needed some medical attention for skin injuries sustained whilst finding that information

The day's summary thus becomes

GM
: It's OK to play with dolls

Miss Chaos
: And I played with myself

Zero
: And I waxed the dolphin

The dolphin line, alarmingly, carried over into the evening game, featuring the Skeleton Crew, which includes Vitus, a seven foot tall scarred and angry anthropomorphic hyena, and his consort, 3, a superhumanly desirable courtesan, dancer, seductress etc.

Storm Lord
: "Lets take
down to Cancun to dance the Can-Can"

*cue chorus of the tune from players*

Felicity OOC
portraying emergency services
: "How did 400 19-year-old males all stop breathing at once?"

Vitus OOC
who wears nothing under his robe
: "I'll show you"
*recreates 3's dance, himself, to renewed player chorus*

Team members, NPCs
:
assorted wails of horror and a player's anguished
"Oh
God
, now I'm picturing
Vitus
and the dolphin
:eek:

Fortunately, Istvatha V'han turned up to prevent any further mental trauma.

The Empress of a Billion Worlds' impressively well-trained D-Soldiers promptly had us running for cover, split up, and on the back foot. 3's attempt to distract the soldiers with her seduction attack don't work, mostly because they're well-trained, alien, and 3 isn't an attractive shade of green.

Vitus
: Maybe it's not their mating season

The Storm Lord
: I'ld like to see that - Duck season! Rabbit Season! Duck Season! Mating season! Yeah, alright.

The effect works fine on the rest of the team members and students tho

GM
: Anyone else on 3?

Me
: Most of us, I should think

*sighs* completely innocent game-jargon, and the entire table cracks up and my wife - 3's player - blushes bright red.

Vitus, the apparent target of the attack, was subdued by the combined firepower of two entire squads and a couple of tanks. He should be flattered.

The Spectre runs around the corner, comes face to face with the squads and mobile artillery, whimpers a bit, and attempts to interject.

D-Sergeant
in broken and badly accented English
: Not to interfere! The Anomaly must be contained!

Vitus, unconscious and OOC
: That's the first time I've ever been called an Anomaly. 'Unspeakable threat to all that's right in the Universe', sure, but Anomaly? First Time.

The Spectre
: You might well have an anomaly to contain, but I can't let you take him! He's my friend! .... I can't believe I just said that.
:nonp:

He attempts to negotiate with V'han, mostly to stall for time, and hoping that the rest of the team will show up in the next few minutes. He then, in an attempt to distract her, and allow Vitus a chance to regain conciousness and escape, tries another ploy.

And in front of her loyal troopers and in full view of the mothership in low orbit, guns the beloved Empress of a huge interdimensional empire down in a spray of green blood and vital organs.

With a revolver. :eek:

His response to what will almost certainly spark Interdimensional War III, or at least some retaliatory strikes that will take out most of the North American continent, as he stands over the twitching, bloody body of his victim.

The Spectre
: Whoops

Can the situation get any worse? Sure it can.

:mad:
: Is this the bitch that tried to take my Master? *
stomps on her head

and a moment after that,

Void
teleports in, snatches up V'han as a hostage and demands
: Surrender now or I'll snap the bitch's neck!

*sighs* And it was all so unnecessary! If the Empress and her soldiers had just approached politely, with their claim that Vitus a demonstrable threat to the ongoing existence of the universe and those adjacent, and that he needs to be studied and contained, he probably would have agreed with them! After all, he's already told his own colleagues that with any more provocation he's going to overwrite this universe with one of known dimensional instability. (Worse, this seems to be already happening, even without his active participation. )

Instead, the first thing they do is strafe his apartment with tank fire and try to abduct him.

Even more unfortunate, all the players (if not the PCs) are aware that Istvatha V'han is going after the wrong guy...

Great stuff!!!

But shouldn't this be in the past tense? Didn't the player KILL V'Han?

With a revolver?

It's possible she's still alive - her body and the troops were all teleported out 30 seconds later, after the scene become one of blind-fighting, snipers with heavy weapons, auto-firing tanks, and 3 attached like a lamprey to Vitus's waist crying Master! Master! as he tried to crawl off and recover his weapons

Great stuff!!!

But shouldn't this be in the past tense? Didn't the player KILL V'Han?

With a revolver?

Keep in mind that you're talking about an immortal time traveller from another dimension in a champions setting. None of those things lend themselves to characters who stay dead for long!

I also sincerely doubt that I killed her. This is Champions, and I only fanned two shots into her. Unless her BODY is 9 or less, she'll survive. The depressing part was when I set the revolver to the non-lethal 9d6 EB setting, it still resulted it blood spraying out from the D-soldier I shot. *sigh*

I also sincerely doubt that I killed her. This is Champions' date=' and I only fanned two shots into her. Unless her BODY is 9 or less, she'll survive. The depressing part was when I set the revolver to the non-lethal 9d6 EB setting, it still resulted it blood spraying out from the D-soldier I shot. *sigh*[/quote']

Oh yes, that would be the point where Vitus took offense at the carnage you were inflicting, or rather the idea that anybody in the team had a higher bodycount than himself.

"Hey!
:mad:
I wiped out an entire coven in my first five minutes on this planet! Admittedly, they were demonologists, the very definition of 'too-stupid-to-live'"

It was The Spectre' date=' with the Revolver, in the Den.[/quote']

This reminds me of the game "Jason." In Jason, unlike Clue, you know who did it (Jason), the question is to whom with what, and where.

i.e. It was Jason, with the weed whacker, in the shed, to the cheerleader.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that my mental 'voice' for this character had a striking similiarity to a well known comic 'guru' from a certain animated show, now in it's umpteenth year.

[edit] Had to figure out how to add Rep just for doing this to a PC [/edit]

Actually, I was imagining something a bit more... British.

Alternately, Samuel L. Jackson.

Though if it's that last one, I'd be *reeeeeeally* worried about him.

Tonight's game. I wasn't paying close attention and heard Dave (the GM) say something like this:

They're a race of butts. They're all different kinds of butts, some are flying, although the man-sized butts are really the only sentient ones. Even the flying butts. The bigger butts are only semi-sentient and the really big behemoth butts are more just point them in the direction you want to go...

Me (mental imagery getting very weird as brain starts to process what it thinks it is hearing): They're what?? What are we talking about??

Dave: Bugs. What did you think I said?

Me: Butts (and then proceeded to riff with the rest of the crew on sentient butts etc).

Needless to say I got a bad mark against my name tonight :) Serves me right - I should listen and keep my mis-hears to myself.