Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

There's some bluebooking over on the Daybreak Rising mailing list, and some one ended their entry with:

"Why, it's..."

To which the next poster added:

"...the Spanish Inquisition!"

Followed by:

I wasn't expecting that....

And then:

"NOOOOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise! ...Surprise and fear... fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise... and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, and surprise, and ruthless efficiency... and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our four...no... Amongst our weapons.... Hmf... Amongst our weaponry... are such elements as fear, surpr.... I'll come in again."

'tis a silly place.

Last nights Defenders game BigDamnHero ran a roundhouse session, each Hero had a solo adventure done in 15-20 minute increments. Lot of fun.

Promethean: Having watched ER I can do this somewhat correctly.

--

Promethean faces off against Bulldozer.

GM: Dude, you can't one shot him. That's no fun.

--

Inertia (hanging from the ceiling, so very captured): I've defeated Foxbat before. I'm not afraid of you.

--

Woman (interrogating Inertia): Who is Built To Last's favorite Beatle?!

Inertia: YOKO!!!!

--

OOC during a short break, PCs discussing their current threat level.

Inertia: Mine is threatening me with my own taser.

GM's Wife (who is not playing and was just passing through): That's awkward.

--

(about to storm a museum to capture a robber)

Built To Last (to the gathered police): Alright folks. We're going in. She's about this tall. *fingers two inches apart* I hope you all brought your butterfly nets and yogurt cups.

--

Primus Tech Agent: What The F- is going on!?

Enigma: Well, you see, we're trapped in a. . . Did you ever see Hellraiser?

--

GM: Do you have Shadowing?

Built To Last (deadpan): She's thirty feet tall.

GM: I was expecting a fight, not a stalking.

--

OOC, post game.

Interia's Player: Hey, why do you have Breakfall?

Enigma's Player: She's spends a lot of time in mosh pits.

Promethean's Player: Yeah, that makes sense.

Once, in the long and long ago...

AD&D 1st edition game, we're playing in a campaign upon a world I called "Ineptune," (and I've long forgotten the original name the DM gave it). I'd begun calling it that from a combination of NPCs who would've neeeded to mortgage their countries in order to afford a clue. and the world being something akin to Jupiter at 1G in size.

A single map with a portion of one continent on it was 250,000 miles across by the scale the DM was using — our party would've died of old age before reaching our goal, and that includes the elves — but I digress...

One of our assignments had been to find and eliminate the leader of the evil folk. We'd begun to suspect a certain nobleman, and eventually, one of our party asked the man.

"Are you the evil leader?"

"Yes."

We had a good laugh, but it wasn't the best way of ID-ing the bad guy, there wasn't even that much of a fight...

OOC during a short break, PCs discussing their current threat level.

Inertia: Mine is threatening me with my own taser.

GM's Wife (who is not playing and was just passing through): That's awkward.

Followed by: “Hey, I’m just happy I know what that means. Usually I have no clue what you’re talking about.” ;)

A few others from the same game. Built To Last was kinda on a roll last night...

Built To Last (who’s been an outspoken opponent of registration laws) responds to a museum burglary:

BTL: “Relax officers. I’m here to help, and I’m not in any fashion from this or any other government!”

BTL is told the museum’s security system detected a theft in the Monet room:

BTL: “Can you tell me where the Monet room is?”

Cop: “You’re not going to, like, smash through the wall or anything, are you?”

BTL: “I wouldn’t kick through a Monet. I promise.”

BTL gets thumped by the thief, who can change her size (both shrinking & growth) as well as her appearance. Rather than continue a fight that’s certain to be high on collateral damage, he lets her escape and uses his suit’s enhanced sensors to follow from a distance. To shake pursuit, the villainess shrinks down to micro-size, ducks out of sight, then returns to normal size, having altered her clothes & appearance. BTL’s PER rolls to follow all this have been good, but not great enough to inspire full confidence…

BTL: “I’m 90% sure that’s her but…”

GM: “Give me another PER roll.” (he makes this one) “Well, there’s the bag of rolled-up paintings she’s carrying.”

BTL: (big grin) “Good enough!”

So our disguised villainess is walking along, trying to look casual, when people around her suddenly start running out of the way. She looks up right as 400kg of tie-died power armor lands on her. 16” Leaping Move-Thru + surprised out of combat => 15 Body and 100 Stun! (Not counting the KB damage from getting slammed 10” down into the sidewalk.)

BTL: “Potholes they can fix!”

Later, after he finds one of the stolen Monets was damaged in the fight:

BTL: “I can fix that.” (a quick Gadgeteering roll to whip up a molecular bonder) “There, good as new!”

Missed a few others from last night:

OOC, Enigma had been discussing how best to spend her next XP award. Shortly thereafter, she aces a series of INT-based skill rolls, making most of them by 6 or more:

GM: “Yeah, tell me again how you need to raise your ******* INT score!”

Promethean is fighting a new villain, who just got his powers in a chemical spill:

Built To Last: “Tell them about your newly-minted supervillain.”

Inertia: “Newly minted? Is he limited edition?”

Enigma (aka ghost-angel, and the only player with much CU familiarity) figures out who this new supervillain is:

Enigma: (OOC to Promethean) “Please don’t get beat by Bulldozer. I’ll have to mock you.”

The GM (me) shows his age…

GM: “Anna realizes she forgot her Walkman. I mean iPod. Sorry – wrong decade.”

Later:

GM: “Someone’s been watching too much WWF.”

Ghost-angel: “You’re showing your age again.”

Guest Major Tom

Vitus stumbles across a crime in progress, and calls the team.

"I'm at the bank. The one with the big... pigeon."
:confused:

Later.

Felicity
"you can't tell the difference between a pigeon and an eagle??"
:nonp:

Vitus
defensively
: "We had pteradactyls where I came from, what do
you
think?"
:mad:

Pteradactyls, eh?

Bet that Buffalo Wings Night back in Vitus's home plane was real

interesting...

Major Tom :eg:

Quote of the night from the "Sparks Fly" campaign.

Nightfall (PC) is talking to Sheriff (NPC) about strange happenings in his county. Smudges--people/animals who have undergone detrimental transformations--have been cropping up there.

Nightfall: So you've actually seen a smudge?

Sheriff: (Drawling) Cows shouldn't have that many legs.

Nightfall: Ah. Cattle mutations are up.

This one is from a long time ago, in a game group far far away...

-----------

Player 1: ...And thats pretty much my plan for how to handle this situation. What do you all think?

Player 2: ...I think ...it needs some work.

Player 3: Yeah. That plan has some holes in it.

Player 1: Oh? How about you? What do you think?

Player 4: I think...that you should get up off the couch... go out that door....out into the back yard...and when youre there you should grab a shovel.... and you should find a nice spot. And dig. Dig. Dig for pride. I think you should just GET UP AND DIG!

Pteradactyls, eh?

Bet that Buffalo Wings Night back in Vitus's home plane was real

interesting...

not as much as you'ld think - all that elastic skin doesn't cook evenly. Not bad cut into rashers, but the diet of the beast is impiortant as well - the smaller, cliff-dwelling varieties taste sweetest - indeed, the Cliffdiver Clan have lightly grilled Sea-Dactyls as something of a delicay for visiting gnolls.

*Vitus sags, missing the flavour of well-cooked pterosaur*

Guest Major Tom

not as much as you'ld think - all that elastic skin doesn't cook evenly. Not bad cut into rashers, but the diet of the beast is impiortant as well - the smaller, cliff-dwelling varieties taste sweetest - indeed, the Cliffdiver Clan have lightly grilled Sea-Dactyls as something of a delicay for visiting gnolls.

*Vitus sags, missing the flavour of well-cooked pterosaur*

Maybe he should try some pteradactyl sashimi instead...

Major Tom :sneaky:

We had a player who always had to be That Guy, which more often than not led to the rest of us wanting to beat him up in AND out of character.

Black Dragon (trying to flirt...again and failing miserably): Hey baby, wanna see me dislocate my jaw?

Me: I use my Cramming skill to stuff Matt into a small box.

GM: Well, you can't do tha--. Wait, Matt or his character?

Me: Yes.

Needless to say, we were quite amused when he was KO'ed by a dinner plate thrown by our world's equivalent of Bullseye.

And, as another of Matt's characters frustrated the group, this little tidbit was uttered by my good (and sadly late) friend Andre.

"Onyx, DON'T SPEAK!"

We had a player who always had to be That Guy, which more often than not led to the rest of us wanting to beat him up in AND out of character.

Black Dragon (trying to flirt...again and failing miserably): Hey baby, wanna see me dislocate my jaw?

Me: I use my Cramming skill to stuff Matt into a small box.

GM: Well, you can't do tha--. Wait, Matt or his character?

Me: Yes.

Needless to say, we were quite amused when he was KO'ed by a dinner plate thrown by our world's equivalent of Bullseye.

And, as another of Matt's characters frustrated the group, this little tidbit was uttered by my good (and sadly late) friend Andre.

"Onyx, DON'T SPEAK!"

Whoa. Is your friend Matt the same as my friend Matt? :nonp:

I just remebered an old quote. It was a board based military game and the player was splitting a stack (army) and sending part to hilly terain. He said "I'm splitting and heading for the hills ... I can't believe I just said that." The three dots was at most 3 seconds and probably 2 seconds.

That reminds me of some quotes from board gaming with my old group.

"The game is called Risk, not Bambi Risk, so attack him already!"

"I love starting from Australia. No backside to defend, and Asia will soon be mine!"

"But that's one of the classic blunders. You never start a land war in Asia."

"My civilization has been cast into ruin by iconoclasm and heresy! Time to start killing the street preachers."

"That Warden of the Northern Marches sure gets around a lot. Does he get frequent flyer miles?"

BTL is told the museum’s security system detected a theft in the Monet room:

BTL: “Can you tell me where the Monet room is?”

Cop: “You’re not going to, like, smash through the wall or anything, are you?”

BTL: “I wouldn’t kick through a Monet. I promise.”

I think the best part about when Built To Last says things like this is imagining it coming from a giant tie-died battle suit with a voice box programmed all the way over to "very mean sounding."

Maybe he should try some pteradactyl sashimi instead...

:idjit: do you have any idea what you can *catch* from uncooked pteradactyl? Tapeworms are bad enough, especially when they're mistakenly growing into football-sized cysts inside your skull, but tapeworms mutated by the Aurastorms are worse - those things sing. In chorus.