Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Not a gaming quote, but I know people here would appreciate it this exchange between my daughters.

Daughter 1 (watching TV and pointing at a contestant on Ninja Warrior): You know what he needs to do?

Daughter 2: Get a life?

To go with this from my own sprog while playing pretend... (game cancelled due to blizzard this week :thumbdown )

Daughter 1: Let's take our ponies through the woods, princess.

Daughter 2: Nooo! There are zombies in there!

I both regret and am thoroughly amused by the results of allowing my eldest daughter to insist on watching Return of the Living Dead with me.

From last Sunday's D&D game:

The heroes are sailing toward an unknown port, and the captain says that they should be fine as long as they don't "cause any trouble."

Devlyn: (to Yllek) Hear that? NO TROUBLE!

Yllek: Me? When's the last time I caused trouble?

Devlyn: The last port we were in!

Yllek: Okay, before that, then. When did I cause trouble?

Devlyn: The port before that!

The heroes are planning to recruit some crew for the ship they captured.

Ryan: Does the captain have any preferences?

(someone, can't remember who): He prefers redheads...

After paying 100 gold to dock...

Leila: Maybe you can help us...

Harbormaster: What can I do you out of?

Yllek: You mean, apart from 100 gold?

In port, our rogue falls under vampire's sway after horribly failing a will save:

Il'Marcum: Bucky the buck-toothed sorcerer's apprentice could have gotten you with that roll!

The heroes are approaching the bathhouse where the vampire has lured the rogue:

Leila: (OOC) I'm next to Il'Marcum. (pause) Maybe not right next to him, since he tends to get hit a lot.

This just popped outta me during a Star Wars game. (Don't ask me why)

"What's with the trombone?"

Actually, the other players were describing tactics to the GM, and I kinda wasn't listening, and was checking out Star Wars miniatures that were sitting across the table. One looked like he was holding a trombone, but it turned out to be the protective plastic covering a lightsaber figure.

Anyway, the question was completely out of left field and cracked everyone up. Including me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

My wife was feeling unwell so didn't join us, so we played a game of Settlers of Catan, then a game of Munchkin Fu. Both of which wound up with some very ... questionably tasteful remarks.

From Catan:

While doing a four-for-one trade to get a much needed resource: "I get wood for four sheep."

"So, you're Scottish?"

Reminds me of the last time we played the game. 'Twas I that made the following comment:

"Damn, I never get any wood!" (Pause) "Story of my life..." :cry:

City On The Edge campaign - still trying to locate the individual who is going around with exploding trilobites, and paralytic inhalent agents based on squid sperm.

GM (Weldun)
: Why do you keep calling them an assassin? They haven't killed anybody, yet.

Trawler
: Maybe they're a character assassin?

Zero
: "Mayor Fellates Squid - Film At Eleven"

elsewhen

Miss Chaos
defending her intelligence
: "I've got brain cells - in a jar!"

Mysterious winged figure spies on us from overhead, as we argue aimlessly about what to do next.

Zero
: "Maybe it's a
"

Miss Chaos teleports the team's heavy-hitters to the docks

Miss Chaos
: "Having our two most destructive members on site should fix anything"

Zero
: "Interesting use of 'fix' there"
:rolleyes:

Assassin is located escaping by scyphozoan. Later....

Miss Chaos
: "What the hell was Avatar doing attacking a giant jellyfish?"

Zero
: "Jelly Wrestling?"
:D

Zero reports on events.

"Well, first there were the VIPER Boa constrictors, and the VIPER iguanas, and the VIPER vipers, and then we followed the Clue Bat back here, where Avatar got in a fight with a jellyfish and lost, and I followed the bald girl with long hair. She showed me her pearl. I told her I was Jimmy Hoffa and I'd dug myself out from under the freeway. Then her friend the Clue Bat stabbed me in tummy and I was rescued by a super-cavitating, mega-hearing psychic dolphin."

All, amazingly, quite true. Apart from the Jimmy Hoffa bit, which was merely an alibi.

Evidence locates the secret hide-out of the bad guys, and suggests re-using our witnesse's escape-route in reverse to sneak in. Namely, attaching a rebreather-squid and climbing back thru the Himalayan spring he washed out of. Zero refuses point-blank.

"No squid-fellating and back-door entrances for Zero, thank you very much."
:thumbdown
:

No Vitus this week, alas. Whatever will the world do without us? Survive, probably....

Comparisons of the two campaigns were however, made. In one, universal destruction looms, several times over. In the other, Foxbat was invited to a 21st/Coming Out party, and accepted.

Orca/Avatar
: "Can you really see anybody in the
Kingdom City
campaign sending
Dr Destroyer
an invite?"

Zero/Vitus
: "He's not really a party sort of guy..."
:cool:

Innocent passerby
: "Oh god, now I'm picturing someone with a name like Doctor Destroyer wearing a lampshade on his head and singing karaoke"
:nonp:

An as yet unnamed PC in my Black Powder Fantasy Game spoke these gloriously Pulp words while escaping from the villanous occupant of a deep sea cave during the latest session.

"You underestimated us octopus-man!"

Which sounds quite sensible compared to his earlier comment upon leaving the presence of the general who employs the party.

"Yes and now I shall tally-ho."

Guest Major Tom

Originally posted by Drhoz:

Innocent passerby : "Oh god, now I'm picturing someone with a name like

Doctor Destroyer wearing a lampshade on his head and singing karaoke" :nonp:

And the odds are pretty good that he'd be singing Queen's "I Want It All".

Major Tom :eg:

Playtesting a Champions Con Game for BigDamnHero... full table of 7.

Force Majeure (brick, everything is in a bad French Accent, because he's not really French) "We are so poor we cannot afford our own language. All we have is this stupid accent."

Magnetica (energy projector) "It's the white meat of Dark Arts."

Supersonic (energy projector) "Bowling For Cultists!"

There was so much knockback in the fight it was silly. The walls of the room were decorated with DEMON cultists.

GM: You wake up to the sound of screaming and violence.

Pebbles (brick/reformed villain) "Where's snooze?"

Iron Maiden (powered armor) "There's no snooze on dead civilians!"

And I wish I could remember the quote I was ordered not to write down by almost everyone. It was a doozy.

One of the plot elements in the game was a Dagger Of Love (innuendo ensued, that's not the funny part), one character had to choose his true love between two of the Female Characters, the GM intended him to throw it at his true love, and she would then gain total immunity for a very short while. There's a note on the description "if thrown at someone you don't love it causes immense pain" - so naturally he latches onto that one line (of three paragraphs of description mind) and throws it at the main Bad Guy (The Mistress Of Lost Hope, one of the Kinds Of Edom).

Player: What happens?

GM: I . . . don't know. I hadn't thought you would do that. Give me a second.

proof once again that no game survives contact with the Players.

One of the plot elements in the game was a Dagger Of Love (innuendo ensued, that's not the funny part), one character had to choose his true love between two of the Female Characters, the GM intended him to throw it at his true love, and she would then gain total immunity for a very short while. There's a note on the description "if thrown at someone you don't love it causes immense pain" - so naturally he latches onto that one line (of three paragraphs of description mind) and throws it at the main Bad Guy (The Mistress Of Lost Hope, one of the Kinds Of Edom).

OUTstanding!

Originally posted by Drhoz:

Innocent passerby
: "Oh god, now I'm picturing someone with a name like

Doctor Destroyer wearing a lampshade on his head and singing karaoke"
:nonp:

And the odds are pretty good that he'd be singing Queen's "I Want It All".

Major Tom :eg:

very likely :D

Guest Major Tom

Okay NOW iam am picturing Doctor Destroyer as Freddie Mercury.

Well done :ugly:

(In before skit relating 'We are the Champions' and THE Champions)

Well, there's a mental image we could've done without...

Major Tom :doi:

That a GM has to go through every character sheet in-depth sounds almost like a lack of trust (going through every character background is another matter.)

I don't see it as not trusting the player; it's a matter of how can I write a character-driven adventure if I know so little about the PCs? :confused:

Some GMs fail at the whole 'look at the character sheet closely' bit when reviewing characters. I've met a few who don't even bother' date=' they just trust that the player knows what they're doing and didn't do anything ridiculous.[/quote']

None of the ones I play with.

Yeah, that was a fun little surprise. But it worked out nicely. :)

More quotes from the same game:

Pre-game character design discussion:

ghost-angel: “That’s the Hero way.”

Mrs g-a: “You sound like a preacher.”

BDH: “I’m sorry, have you not met him before?”

Following a discussion of Qliphothic magic:

Force Majeure: “So who’s this Cliffoth guy anyway?”

An NPC Trismagistus Council member assesses the Heroes’ ability to handle an opponent”

Isiah: “You have defeated her before. Granted, she was getting a massage at the time. But still...”

During a discussion of the Kings of Edom, my dog starts having a doggie nightmare:

GM: “There’s the Master Beyond the Pale, the Monarch of All Sorrows...” [whimper from the dog bed] “The King of Bad Puppy Dreams...”

Magnetica: “That’s one of the lesser Kings.

Force Majeure: “More of a Senior Vice President.”

Illuminatus explains how a not-very-smart NPC could have magic powers:

Illuminatus: “Some have more gift than skill.”

Magnetica: “And which would you be?”

Illuminatus (who sees most of his teammates as somewhat frivilous) casts a mass disguise spell:

Illuminatus: “Everyone else sees 2 teachers and a bunch of Japanese school children. Cuz that’s how I see you.” :king:

Force Majeure starts Knockback-ing cultists all over the room:

Force Majeure: “Bowling For Cultists; what network would that be on?”

Several players simultaneously: “Fox.”

All OOC:

GM: “Hey, I never claimed my plots were original.”

Magnetica: “Neither did I.” [everyone laughs, player realizes she just insulted the GM] “No! I meant my plots!!”

GM: “Rocks fall, Magnetica dies.”

The Heroes are fighting to recover the dead body of Captain Chronos, or more specifically his time travel gear. Iron Maiden knocks herself out (Move Through on the Big Bad’s kneecap, no Knockback :(), and while she’s out, someone else gets to the body.

GM: “You wake up as Supersonic shoves Cpt Chronos’ dessicated corpse in your face and says “Make it work!!”

Pebbles: (OOC) “Hey! Illuminatus just made a pun! Someone write that down!”

(Sadly, no one did.)

And no context could possibly improve on:

“No time for sticky-love, this is just a quickie.”

I don't see it as not trusting the player; it's a matter of how can I write a character-driven adventure if I know so little about the PCs? :confused:

Differences of perspective; once again i remind myself this is the internets :)

I have in the past not bothered to look at some players sheets, knowing a character background generally gives me all i need to plan ahead for a single adventure or a long running plot; most of my combats are run off the fly. It works for me- has so far anyway.:hush:

Not that there arent occasional problems, but i prefer to be a little loose with the rules lest they get i the way; i love Herosystem but it can be very crunchy at times

I have in the past not bothered to look at some players sheets' date=' knowing a character background generally gives me all i need to plan ahead for a single adventure or a long running plot; most of my combats are run off the fly. It works for me- has so far anyway.:hush:[/quote']

Besides, there are always a few players who play the same character over and over anyway ;)

Topic? A quote? Um...

Sparkle has just been promoted from stripper at a mob-run strip club to assistant manager at a mob-run nightclub. Her new boss, also a former moll, tells her to show up for her first night and to "dress to impress".

Sparkle: "Dress to impress"? What the heck does that mean? Power suits? Three spangles and some dental floss? (pauses to think) Leather pants! Leather is always appropriate!

From my Saturday night Champions game:

The heroes are fighting the Brain Trust in Millennium City on the Ambassador Bridge.

The Brain Trust are on top of the tower of the suspension bridge closet to Windsor. Overbrain has released several bugbots to terrorize the commuters.

Mr. Zombie of the Brain Trust jumps 1000 feet off the tower onto the road below. He crawls out of the crater he made, unharmed and growls at the heroes.

Splicer: “That is one hell of a present attack!”

After defeating the Bugbots, Aurora flies up to the tower, and uses her energy blast on Ape-Plus. The attack does enough knockback to knock the gorilla off the tower. He begins to fall 1000 feet to the road below.

Aurora: “Crap! Now I have to save him.”

From my Saturday night Champions game:

The heroes are fighting the Brain Trust in Millennium City on the Ambassador Bridge.

The Brain Trust are on top of the tower of the suspension bridge closet to Windsor. Overbrain has released several bugbots to terrorize the commuters.

Mr. Zombie of the Brain Trust jumps 1000 feet off the tower onto the road below. He crawls out of the crater he made, unharmed and growls at the heroes.

Splicer: “That is one hell of a present attack!”

After defeating the Bugbots, Aurora flies up to the tower, and uses her energy blast on Ape-Plus. The attack does enough knockback to knock the gorilla off the tower. He begins to fall 1000 feet to the road below.

Aurora: “Crap! Now I have to save him.”

Apparently HERO boards liked this quote. I received six automated email notifications about it!

D&D game tonight:

Characters are hunting down Yuan-ti. My PC (Evendur a Tiefling Dervish) trailed some Ophidians from an out door market place to get recon. The Ophidians met up with a Yuan-ti riding in a palanquin named Sythisus, talked with him and were then given money and told: "Go spend this however you you wish". One of the stupider ones made mention of "I want purple hat." Needless to say the Ophidians were killed before ever getting to spend the money.

The PCs have been tracking the palanquin for a few days, with everyone covered by illusions to look like Ophidians (my disguise including a purple hat).

At about noon on the 3rd day, and we are accosted by a huge black dragon. During the fight the bard uses his Figurine of Wonderous Power: Marble Elephant to give himself cover. Since it can only be activated 4 times a month, he decides not to dismiss the elephant after the dragon is slain.

So, late that night while at camp:

GM: You all see six Yuan-ti appear via teleportation. They are in spaced out groups of two: One archer and one mage.

Yuan-ti Mage: (not seeing through the illusions) "State your business here!!"

Evendur: (thinking quickly) *in a very happy and satisfied voice* We given money by Sythisus. We told buy what we want. We get elephant... and... purple hat.

Yuan-ti Mage: (totally taken off guard by this) I see. Go about your business.

All the Yuan-ti teleport away confused.

So, late that night while at camp:

GM: You all see six Yuan-ti appear via teleportation. They are in spaced out groups of two: One archer and one mage.

Yuan-ti Mage: (not seeing through the illusions) "State your business here!!"

Evendur: (thinking quickly) *in a very happy and satisfied voice* We given money by Sythisus. We told buy what we want. We get elephant... and... purple hat.

Yuan-ti Mage: (totally taken off guard by this) I see. Go about your business.

All the Yuan-ti teleport away confused.

The power of fashion sense!