Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

I have in the past not bothered to look at some players sheets' date=' knowing a character background generally gives me all i need to plan ahead for a single adventure or a long running plot; most of my combats are run off the fly. It works for me- has so far anyway.:hush:[/quote']

I can buy not knowing all the crunchy details if, as you say, you know the character's background generally. But not knowing that one of the PCs is an effing minotaur? Seems like that should've come up at some point. :)

Quote from Monday night's Champions game. A PRIMUS Agent they're working with has disappeared, and Enigma (the mystic) suspects a certain book is involved. But the book is "Great Serpents of Myth & Legend" and Enigma is terrified of snakes.

Enigma: "Hey Promethean, can you look in a book for me?"

Promethean: "What am I looking for?"

Enigma: "See if something rips your face off."

Guest Major Tom

From last night's trivia game at the local pub:

"Underneath that sweater Velma has the body of a sex goddess."

"Yes, but for the other team."

Are we talking about Velma from Scooby-Doo?

Major Tom :confused:

Last week's Turakian Age game.

The player runnig our group's mage has been looking through all the Turakian Age books, and has found the Grant Wish spell (FHG, page 241).

During the pre-game conversation, this player mentions the spell, and that it only costs 4 points.

Then he asks if I'll allow him to take it, grinning because he knows the answer.

For some reason, what came out of my mouth was, "You can pretty much plan on kissing my goblin butt before you get that one."

Have NO idea why I said that, but ALL the players cracked up.

From my online League of Champions game: Sapphire is the only NPC here. Six PCs from the previous "who could we possibly question" quote, have returned to Homestead (along with Sapphire) after questioning the criminals in a PRIMUS holding facility. Comic Book Coincidently, three PCs from San Francisco (one being Cheshire Cat - reformed, sort of) have traveled to Millennium City to ask about info on PSI.

Cheshire Cat: Hey gorgeous; Long time, no see. In case you didn't hear, I'm a card carrying good guy now... just want to apologize for that time I replaced the pictures in the museum of modern art with the photoshopped pictures of you I got on the internet... err... you didn't know that was me did you... err... well, never mind that. Let's just let bygones be bygones.

Now that I'm a good guy, how about we hit the town and paint it red?

Sapphire: Witchcraft has been captured by DEMON.

Jiggawatt: (To CC) Maybe not der bezt time vor dee flirtations.

Reformed - absolutely; serious - not so much. :celebrate
Well' date=' let's say he has reformed his [i']criminal[/i] ways. His skirt-chasing ways, not so much. :D (I mean, the guy has a date set up with a police lady and he hits on Sapphire, too. :cool: )

Prime and Delta-Vee speaking of success and having beautiful/handsome partners waiting on them hand and foot, leads to...

"Tell me, do super-evolved intellects still have an interest in sex?" - Delta-Vee

"Let us not go into that, I am much too busy." – Prime

-----------------------------------------

Prime warning the other team members about the 'cosmic computer,' advises them not to tamper with the computer then advises don’t even touch it.

"Why would it super-evolve the whole city?" Delta-Vee

"Have you been reading my notes?" – Prime

"Prime, tell me and let me remind you when I say tell me, I want you to lie to me. Have you even consider evolving a large number of people to be like you?" Delta-Vee

"No... of course not." - Prime

-----------------------------------------

Delta-Vee and Prime speaking about the neural interface for the 'cosmic computer.'

"It is sending messages directly to you brain." Delta-Vee

"Yep" - Prime

Delta-Vee laughs and after Prime dodges questions about surge suppressors adds sarcastically "Plenty of surge protectors."

"Don’t worry about it, its fine." - Prime

"I'm not, you are the one sticking your head into the helmet." - Delta-Vee

Well' date=' let's say he has reformed his [i']criminal[/i] ways. His skirt-chasing ways, not so much. :D (I mean, the guy has a date set up with a police lady and he hits on Sapphire, too. :cool: )

Just wait until he gets Seduction skill and his shotgun approach to pick up lines might actually work. :D

In our Cyberpunk 2020 game, we had a few funny moments...

Uri, our tech, justifying the firefight afterward... "They shot first... well, they drew first... well..."

Uri and Alex come to the door of someone they wish to talk to. Alex knocks, getting no answer. He looks at the door and yells through it, "If you're in trouble, just say nothing..." and after a few moments, he kicks the door in...

I forgot to post this -- quotes from Session 10 of Daybreak Rising:

GM: As far as the torchlight reaches there's nothing.

Mike: However, the GM has brought every [skaven] mini he owns.

GM: You did enough STUN that the guy behind him needs to take a recovery.

The "bad-word" sword.

Grady: "Phase 3 is usually such a kill-fest."

Ross: "Stop! Stiletto time."

"Flying Mind Squids"

Mike's response to a long and detailed explanation of magic: "What's a cubit?"

"Not only did he cut himself an escape route, he's invented the game of golf."

Michael attempts a haiku:

Skaven blood

white snow

very black

My FtF group, Twilight Guard is caught in the train station scenario in Sharper than a Serpent's Tooth...

Vithaar, the team's leader and resident brick is down by the ticket turnstile dealing with the unfortunate plague victims attempting to batter their way in with a bench they've ripped free...

Striker, the team's mystic gadgeteer has filled the doorways leading out onto the train platforms with an AOE Sticky Entangle ('Encased in Amber')...

Little 7yr-old Timmy McAdoo stands up from his hiding place and begins crying for the heroes to save him and his Mommy, thus attracting the attention of some other snake plague victims...

Vithaar rushes up, grabs the kid, and throws him into the entangle... :nonp:

(thus proving that the PCs can always come up with a way to boggle the GM's mind)

Striker (OOC): He's the ultimate multitasker. The kid's safe, out of the way, and bait...

Guest Major Tom

And the next sports organization in that world... the Battle Golf Association (BGA).

Sounds like it'd be a great sponsor for that wonderful "sport" that was featured

in Dominion: Tank Police -- Grenade Golf.

Major Tom :eg:

City On The Edge campaign - still trying to locate the individual who is going around with exploding trilobites, and paralytic inhalent agents based on squid sperm.

GM (Weldun)
: Why do you keep calling them an assassin? They haven't killed anybody, yet.

Trawler : Maybe they're a character assassin?

Zero
: "Mayor Fellates Squid - Film At Eleven"

elsewhen

Miss Chaos
defending her intelligence
: "I've got brain cells - in a jar!"

Mysterious winged figure spies on us from overhead, as we argue aimlessly about what to do next.

Zero
: "Maybe it's a
"

Miss Chaos teleports the team's heavy-hitters to the docks

Miss Chaos
: "Having our two most destructive members on site should fix anything"

Zero : "Interesting use of 'fix' there" :rolleyes:

Assassin is located escaping by scyphozoan. Later....

Miss Chaos
: "What the hell was Avatar doing attacking a giant jellyfish?"

Zero : "Jelly Wrestling?" :D

Zero reports on events.

"Well, first there were the VIPER Boa constrictors, and the VIPER iguanas, and the VIPER vipers, and then we followed the Clue Bat back here, where Avatar got in a fight with a jellyfish and lost, and I followed the bald girl with long hair. She showed me her pearl. I told her I was Jimmy Hoffa and I'd dug myself out from under the freeway. Then her friend the Clue Bat stabbed me in tummy and I was rescued by a super-cavitating, mega-hearing psychic dolphin."

All, amazingly, quite true. Apart from the Jimmy Hoffa bit, which was merely an alibi.

Evidence locates the secret hide-out of the bad guys, and suggests re-using our witnesse's escape-route in reverse to sneak in. Namely, attaching a rebreather-squid and climbing back thru the Himalayan spring he washed out of. Zero refuses point-blank.

"No squid-fellating and back-door entrances for Zero, thank you very much."
:thumbdown
:

No Vitus this week, alas. Whatever will the world do without us? Survive, probably....

Comparisons of the two campaigns were however, made. In one, universal destruction looms, several times over. In the other, Foxbat was invited to a 21st/Coming Out party, and accepted.

Orca/Avatar
: "Can you really see anybody in the
Kingdom City
campaign sending
Dr Destroyer
an invite?"

Zero/Vitus
: "He's not really a party sort of guy..."
:cool:

Innocent passerby
: "Oh god, now I'm picturing someone with a name like Doctor Destroyer wearing a lampshade on his head and singing karaoke"
:nonp:

As you can tell by the phrasing of the comments, the person with the Smut Field was sitting at the table this week.

As for the comment about brain cells,icon11.gif due to the max temperatures being above 30C since before Christmas, I haven't had much sleep. Braindead does not begin to describe the state of various members of our group who work odd shifts.

Other cases of true brilliance Avatar has vulnerability water, he dived into the 4m wide jellyfish. (98% water) in the bay, wither it breaks and sinks or it doesn't break & he sinks. Same damage either way.

Zero (in black suit, at night)flies off after the jellyfish and then calls for help when the passengers spot him. Can't tell them where he is.

Miss Chaos doing a Shag (wet wings hung out the side to dry) finally remembers to just turn them off then on again. Flies off after him ( grey robes ,black and grey wings).

Avatar heads off after them, one he gets dry. Providing his own light by firing off plasma,in the dark. While trying to find two people in dark clothing, also in the dark. No one got hit.

NOte:Do not try reading a character sheet written in pencil with sunglasses on.

As you can tell by the phrasing of the comments, the person with the Smut Field was sitting at the table this week.

As for the comment about brain cells,icon11.gif due to the max temperatures being above 30C since before Christmas, I haven't had much sleep. Braindead does not begin to describe the state of various members of our group who work odd shifts.

Other cases of true brilliance Avatar has vulnerability water, he dived into the 4m wide jellyfish. (98% water) in the bay, wither it breaks and sinks or it doesn't break & he sinks. Same damage either way.

Zero (in black suit, at night)flies off after the jellyfish and then calls for help when the passengers spot him. Can't tell them where he is.

Miss Chaos doing a Shag (wet wings hung out the side to dry) finally remembers to just turn them off then on again. Flies off after him ( grey robes ,black and grey wings).

Avatar heads off after them, one he gets dry. Providing his own light by firing off plasma,in the dark. While trying to find two people in dark clothing, also in the dark. No one got hit.

Note: Do not try reading a character sheet written in pencil with sunglasses on.

And yet, despite running this game, I am as sane as I was when I started. Which is to say, not very.:D

Quotes from this week's Fading Suns campaign where the situation officially has been downgraded from FUBAR to SNAFU. They really work better without too much context, just know that we are on a space station that just jumped from one system to another (by-passing another system entirely) and back again in less than 20 minutes. The station also had a serious Symbiot infestation.

"And you think this is confusing. I'm watching it happen!"

OOC: "I now name this place, Amityville Station. 'GET OUT!'"

And, when trying to describe the monochromatic red of what remains of the station's control center.

OOC: "You've seen 'The Shining', right?"

But my fave, not for any amusement value, but for the dirty looks it got from my fellow players.

Me (Inquisitor-Oblate Dutch McClaine): "By Inquisitorial order, all aboard Edo station and the battleship 'Retribution' are herby sentenced to one day of penance."

I just love my title.:eg:

Session 1 Of Shadows Angelus: Tens Years After

The Cast:

Chrysine -- Human/Fox Clade, designed for Lace & Steel arena combat

Diedre Thornhallow -- British ex-monster hunter, ex-Order of Enoch, possible holy warrior

Elizabeth Yasha -- Daughter of Paladin Nathan Carpenter (now deceased), Human/Entity mix

Lorraine Hemelshot -- Daughter of Richard Hemelshot, pyrokinetic

Mitch Brogan -- Son of Malachi Brogan, Husband of XSWAT Director Jamadigni Renuka (soon to be divorced), vehicle specalist

Nicodemus Tsanthos -- 15,000 year-old man, survivor of Atlantis, knows everything

The Campaign:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/worldbooks/shadows_2/shadowsindex2.html

The reason why the "daughter of" and "son of" (and the "husband of") is so important: http://surbrook.devermore.net/worldbooks/shadows/shadowsindex.html

The Quotes:

Mitch (OOC): "He [the GM] technically let me save your ass."

Diedre (OOC): "He technically would like the game to go on."

Chrysine (OOC): "Is it bad if an XSWAT officer calls 911?"

Elizabeth (on trying to catch falling people): "I'm running out of arms, Mitch!"

Chrysine (OOC) on why Nicodemus keeps failing PER Rolls: "It's a lot easier back in the lab."

GM on the inane chatter of an NPC: "The guy at the motorpool doesn't know anything about spinners. Hello! [indicates Elizabeth] She's pretty!"

Lorraine (OOC): "I knew I was giving him a plot hook, not a harpoon."

Elizabeth: "*sigh* Men are like parking spaces. All the good ones are taken, the rest are handicapped."

Lorraine (who played the team commander in SA I) (OOC): "Oh God, I love not being in charge."

Deidre has a plan on how to create a diversion: "Stealth, Sleight of Hand, and a match."

GM: *breaks out laughing*

Chrysine's player makes a not-so-serious comment on how we get from Point A to Point B: "Choo-choo! Get on the plot train!"

Deidre: *rattles off a bunch of Cockney slang*

Chrysine looks at Mitch: "Sir? Did you understand a single word of what she just said?"

Deidre explains her battle plan: "They'll at least consider shooting me."

Deidre explains her actions during a gun fight with the Yakuza: "They were shooting at me."

Lorraine: "You shot first!"

Deidre: "It's not my fault I'm faster than they are."

Lorraine melts a hole in the door of Nicodemus's luxury spinner to get out.

Mitch: "I'm telling your dad."

Nicodemus: "You're never using my car again."

Mitch *glances at Nico's burning car*: "No one's using your car again!"

Nicodemus: "You're not using my other car again!"

"Which cargo pod dropped?"

"Number two."

"Oh... who's that standing on it?"

"Lorraine."

Mitch: "I show him my badge and try to say 'CRASH team' with a straight face."

Lorraine: "Exits to the room?"

GM: "Just the one."

Chrysine (OOC): "We're in a Zork adventure!"

Chrysine: "Do you think I have a soul?"

Elizabeth: "The fact you're asking that question should be a clue to your answer."

Chrysine: "But, I'm not human."

Elizabeth: "Don't let that stop you."

Chrysine: "Do you think I have a soul?"

Elizabeth: "The fact you're asking that question should be a clue to your answer."

Chrysine: "But, I'm not human."

Elizabeth: "Don't let that stop you."

Best thing Piers Anthony ever wrote was in A Spell for Chameleon.

A Manticore has committed himself to serving the Magician Humphrey for a year out of his life, for the answer to one question: "Do I have a soul?"

The answer was "Only those who have souls are concerned about them."

He exlains to the protagonist (I'm paraphrasing) "It was the perfect answer. A simple yes or no would not have satisfied me - it could be an offhand opinion. A complicated philosophical treatise would only have confused the issue. He not only gave me a true answer, he gave it in such a way that I know it's true."

Lucius Alexander

The puzzled palindromedary examines its feet and claims to have four soles.

At OwlCon, Shawdowrun 4th Edition, "Parts Unknown"

The shawdowrunners had succeeded in capturing a cyberpsycho who had been previously referred to as the "Billion Nuyen Woman".

"There's no way the corporation will destroy her. She's too valuable."

"They'll probably make her a bodyguard."

"She's way too psycho to be a bodyguard."

"They'll probably put her in charge of a black-ops team."

"Yeah. She's sufficiently psycho to lead a black-ops team."