Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Guest Major Tom

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

You and most of us as well. ;)

As far as the time portals are concerned, our Heroes are pretty certain that they captured the only one. I mean, it was the only one Dr Soros had been using. I mean, he couldn't have had more than one, right? They're big and bulky and require lots of power...no way he could have more than one.

I'd better go talk with our GM.... :help:

Lonewalker

Well, this guy was hooked up with the Nazis (who, as we all know, were

into really weird science and equally weird mystical stuff, at least in the pulps),

who would have had the resources to provide him with the means to build more

than one portal.

It's also a good idea to remember what a dying industrialist said in Contact --

words to the effect of 'why build just one when you can have two for

twice the price?'.

Major Tom :eg:

Diabolical Retro-Tech Rat B******

From Heracles' Children: The First Age

The first session of a new arc (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

Critias meets the Oracle at Delphi for the first time (An 8 year old child)

Oracle: Forgive me if I seem off, sometimes I get people I've met confused with people I'm going to meet.

Lydos is meeting with The Olive Merchant (A Crimelord) while looking for Magistrate Tilles' daughter who has fled on the day before her arranged wedding. It turns out that The Olive Merchant's son is also missing and he thinks the Heraclidae are responsible.

Olive Merchant: I will know what you have done with my son. Talk!

Pelorius (OOC): He's made one of the classic blunders...

Group (OOC, as one): Started a land war in Asia?

Pelorius (OOC): Asked Lydos to talk!

Marvel Galaxies

when Hercules found out his old buddy Wonderman was on a planet,

he got a fix on WM, then went over to the airlock, jumped out, aimed at his location,

planning to fall on him from orbit as a way of saying HI DUDE

the super-hero team is on a devastated post-apocalyptic earth.

they pool their first few XPs and start a base, for a safe-haven.

while they were deciding what to start on, someone said,

after the fashion of newlyweds talking over a toaster oven,

"oh honey, our first hex"

Shiar Scouts teleport directly to our super-teams location.

The agents are attacked on sight (because of a heroine's psych disad).

but when the heroine was asked why: "well they bypassed customs."

Herc. had an opinion on locating their base on the Nile River.

"good, if we're rebuidling Earth, the Egyptians have strong backs"

Guest Major Tom

I think I had best make sure not to let Grymmer of Helene get killed.

Because I don't think New Dawn is ready for a trampy cat-girl replacement character. The priests would probably have a collective fit.

Maybe so... but a case of spontaneous group apoplexy can be enter-

taining with the right audience.

Major Tom :eg:

After a 6+ month hiatus, Vendetta Rhapsody 2.0 kicked off Saturday night.

The GM describes Deliquesser: "[He's a] pack of radioactive Gummi worms."

Black Ice: "Black Ice establishes rapport with his pimp hand."

Michael comments on the arrangement of counters on the battlemat: "That's so appropriate -- The Monster is hanging back with the zombies."

Michael comments on the arrangement of counters on the battlemat: "He's backwards."

GM: "What?"

Michael: "[These two] are both backwards."

GM: "What do you expect? They're ICoMP agents!"

Jay: "I'm going to use my Succor power."

Several people: "Soccer?"

Jay: "'Succor,' it's like Aid."

Michael: "Oh, I thought you were going to score a goal or something."

A comment on a character's [who's a ghost] SFX for a power:

Jay: "They just see a stream of protoplasm out of nowhere."

*long pause*

Michael: "Oh no!"

Nestor: "I Bukkake for Justice!"

Said stream of protoplasm (actually, ectoplasm) drops out of the air after the attack misses.

Kiloton: "You're going to have to explain this too."

Ferrous: "Birds are getting bigger every year."

Mary Tower (Koyotie's SID) offers to take a picture of Lady Libery's 'good side'.

Lady Liberty: "You should know, I don't have a good side."

Mary Tower: "Is that why you don't show up in mirrors?"

GM: "[Jade Gorgon is different. Really different."

Nestor: "Yeah, she has bumps."

GM comments on the antics of Nestor's dog: "If I had a dog like that, I'd lock it in a room and throw away the room."

Via (parody-ish Fantasy Hero) strikes again:

Connor declares his action: "I'm off to the woods to train."

Gillian (OOC): "Is that what they're calling it these days?"

Connor (OOC): "With my sword. I'm trying to spread my lightning attack."

Gillian (OOC): "That's not any better."

Hope (OOC): "You walked right into that one."

---

Hope learns that an old farm she's familiar with is under attack by a demon. She declares, "That's Old MacDonald's farm!"

Gillian groans, drawing it out into a long, "E-I-E-I-O."

(Cue many, many references to moo-moo here, moo-moo there, with the GM snapping, "No, there aren't any moo-moos anywhere! They're all dead!")

--

Hope discovers that her healing power can also harm demons. She wonders, "I wonder, if a demon tried to eat me, if his insides would shrivel up."

Gillian, with an impish smile, replies, "Only one way to find out."

---

Hope, talking about her odd family dynamics, remarks, "You don't call gramma. Gramma just comes."

---

Connor goes in to trade up on his horse, so that he can buy one who isn't skittish of the friendly demon. He inquires about how much he gets back on his horse, and Gillian remarks, OOC, "You lose most of the value of your horse when you ride it off the lot."

---

Hope, stating the obvious: "It's very odd to discuss rape with a demon."

----

Hope, again, OOC, "I don't even know what anatomy is. I just know it's a word."

GM: You see Joseph Ochtmann go into his house and make himself a puree of beets and well done ground beef in the blender. Then you see him drink it. Then he sits in a yogalike position for four hours and take calls. Then he gets up, walks over to his bed, crosses his arms over his chest, and goes to bed.

Scarlet Archer, radioing Team: He's in a yoga-like position. He's not moving.

Nightingale: That's not possible, you do move every so often in Yoga.

Scarlet Archer: So it's Fauxga! It doesn't matter!

Later in the game, after discovering he was transformed spawn of an evil alien creature, the PC's went to where the alien was.

He had a weird metastasis transformation process, whereby he absorbed liquids and gases. He was teargassed, and then immolated. This caused a digestive reaction which made him sick. Then, he was electrocuted, stimulating his digestive reaction. He was impaled with nails, and then superheated again, which caused him to attempt to digest the nails, which he couldn't handle. So he was critically poisoned and fell over.

This really is the silliest villain death I've ever seen. They just...weren't Xenobiologists, and the villain died.

More quotes from our Chronicles of the Agency Pulps Champions campaign:

During our initial planning session before the Heroes reconned and assaulting the Nazi uranium mine...

Mighty Huntress: If things go well, there shouldn't be a need for fighting.

Havoc: Yeah, there's that 'go well' thing again. :rolleyes:

The GM is describing some of the buildings located within the Nazi mining camp...

GM: There's reportedly a storage shed with tools like picks, shovels, dynamite and so forth.

Havoc: Dynamite? Oh, good! The Nazis are even helping us blow the place up.

GM: There's three buildings that serve as barracks. They include a mess and kitchen as well.

Rocket Ranger: Cool. After we rescue the prisoners, we can stop for lunch.

Patriot reminds the recon team (Havoc and Mighty Huntress) of potential opponents near the captives...

Patriot: There might be Nazi guards around the prisoners.

Havoc: We'll just take them out too.

Rocket Ranger: Direct, simplistic thinking. Sounds like she's been hanging around me and Patriot too much.

A random suggestion...

Clubber: We could gather evidence and report them to the League of Nations and let them deal with the Nazis.

Patriot: I thought I was the naive optimist!

Clubber: And I'm the entertainer - I'm trying out a bad joke. ;)

The GM has informed the Heroes that a small stream/creek runs along the edge of the Nazi camp...

Rocket Ranger: What if the stream has piranha or something in it.

Clubber: Ah, yes, the dreaded North African piranha.

Rocket Ranger: Well, they're Nazis! Maybe they import their monsters!

The players evaluate their characters' skill lists...

Patriot (OOC): So all the men know how to use dynamite.

Rocket Ranger (OOC): And all the women know how to move quietly. There might be some sort of cultural statement being made here.

GM: Sounds like the Pulps era to me! :thumbup:

In the middle of a description of the Nazi commander's office...

Clubber (OOC): There's a nameplate on the desk saying "Das Boss."

The Mighty Huntress has just snatched a Nazi guard right out from under his partner's nose...

GM: Make a Universal Translator roll.

Patriot (OOC): Success!

GM: You hear shouting: "Fritz! What happened to Fritz?! Bloomin' faeries got Fritz!"

Another Patriot battle-cry...

Patriot: Taste hot American justice, Nazi scum!

Clubber's favorite tactic is to toss things at his targets...

GM: You're at penalties to throw the Nazi guard because he's neither balanced nor aerodynamic.

Clubber: I'm strong enough - I could make him a bit more balanced and aerodynamic... :eg:

Random quote...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Only the Mighty Huntress could confuse bondage with respect.

After Rocket Ranger has failed his third or fourth Hearing Perception roll of the night...

Patriot (OOC): Dude, you gotta drill some ear holes into that helmet of yours!

As Clubber carries a German jeep onto a small bridge, using it as a shield against a hail of bullets...

GM: Patriot, what do you want to do?

Patriot (OOC): Well, first of all I gawk in amazement. :eek:

GM: In this situation, that's probably a half-Phase Action.

Random Mighty Huntress comment...

Mighty Huntress: I'm either stalking or being stalked. That's pretty much the life of the kitty.

A Nazi superhuman takes position near where Havoc and Mighty Huntress are trying to free the slaves/prisoners...

Havoc: I'm very uncomfortable with him standing there.

Mighty Huntress: And in the middle of a fight, we really don't need any of us to feel uncomfortable.

Successful Teamwork by Havoc and Mighty Huntress sees one of the Nazi superhumans fall!

Mighty Huntress: You mess with the cat, you get the claws!

Havoc (OOC): So that Teamwork skill? Not a waste of points!

Mighty Huntress: Yeah, girl power!

Havoc: Don't forget that we've still got a dozen Nazi guards to deal with.

Mighty Huntress: Whoops! Oh, yeah!

GM: A second German Ubermensch bursts through the tent!

Rocket Ranger (OOC): A new challenger has arrived!

As the rest of the German Ubermensch squad closes in on the prisoners' tents and the hypnotized workers still haven't moved out of the battleline...

Clubber (OOC): Warning! Warning! Incoming plot complication!

Seeing reinforcements moving toward Havoc and Mighty Huntress, Rocket Ranger rushes to assist...

Mighty Huntress: Yay! The cavalry has arrived!

Rocket Ranger: No, it's just me.

The GM reports that the section of the Nazi camp where Clubber and Patriot have been fighting is clear of enemy soldiers...

Clubber (OOC): Okay, I'll throw my jeep over my shoulder and saunter on into the main camp to see what help I can be.

Rocket Ranger flies in to warn Havoc and Mighty Huntress of two more Ubermensch on their way...

Rocket Ranger: Look out! There's two more of them!

Havoc: What? I thought the boys were supposed to be handling the heavy lifting!

As Patriot also arrives at the scene of the main battle, Havoc calls out for assistance...

Havoc: Patriot, we've done our part...and some of yours...please come finish up.

Out of character talk...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Are you still carrying that jeep with you?

Clubber (OOC): Yup, you might want to take air traffic control into account. :eg:

The Mighty Huntress is hit hard....!

GM: Mighty Huntress takes 40 STUN and 11 BODY from the German's iron punch.

Mighty Huntress (OOC): Ow...yeah, she's chasing butterflies right now... :nonp:

Hopefully more next week! Enjoy!

Lonewalker

He had a weird metastasis transformation process, whereby he absorbed liquids and gases. He was teargassed, and then immolated. This caused a digestive reaction which made him sick. Then, he was electrocuted, stimulating his digestive reaction. He was impaled with nails, and then superheated again, which caused him to attempt to digest the nails, which he couldn't handle. So he was critically poisoned and fell over.

This really is the silliest villain death I've ever seen. They just...weren't Xenobiologists, and the villain died.

So, uh, they were not actually trying to kill him, then?

From last night's Champions game:

The heroes have just returned after spending a few weeks helping the Army deal with the Subterran threat.

GM: Lt. Tinsdale [PRIMUS liason to hero team] arrives to brief you on goings-on in Chicago during your absence.

Sentinel [female super]: So, he's our Huggy Bear?

Lt. Tinsdale: Well, if you're offering hugs...

Squeeze [male super with grab/constriction powers]: (smiles and opens arms)

Lt. Tinsdale: (pointing at Squeeze): No!

Synergy, in his secret ID as grad student Ryan Nott, goes to the airport to pick up a new grad student who transferred from the University of Bonn in Germany. The GM describes a bit of her background.

Squeeze (OOC): But what about the most important thing -- is she cute?

GM: Hah! I was ready for you, and brought a picture. (shows the picture)

Squeeze (OOC): Yeah, she's holding a beer. She's German.

Anna mentions an interest in S-Squad, and Ryan tells her that if she rides the El (the elevated train) around town she might see Synergy on patrol.

Anna: I've studied a bit about Synergy and have a theory on his powers.

Ryan: Really? What's your theory?

(Anna explains some deatiled physics relating to Synergy's energy absorption and projection abilities).

GM: Well, you know how your powers work, and her theories are almost disturbingly close.

Serendipity (OOC): So she's going to have to die...

Styx is stopping a drive-by shooting by leaping into the open door of the van as the thugs are approaching their target. He quickly disarms the gunner, then rips the driver out of his seat.

Thug: I want a lawyer!

Styx: Lawyer? (closes van door) When I get done, you're gonna need a doctor!

A villainess gets freed on appeal after hiring Irving Probalino, Esq. as her lawyer. [This deal-with-the-devil lawyer appeared in an early issue of Digital Hero, and wins many cases thanks to 6d6 Luck. The players already know this.] Serendipity decides to user her Bad-Luck Hex power to make the lawyer's life miserable.

GM: Okay, you follow him around a while, zapping him enough times that you half-expect a piano to fall from the skies onto his head. Instead, you see Probalino find a $20 bill lying on the street. Then, as soon as he turns to flag a cab, one pulls up immediately. And he's managed to get the only cabbie in Chicago that speaks English.

Serendipity: It didn't work?!

GM (reading from Serendipity's character sheet): 1d6 Major Transform, NND, defense is Luck... He has six dice of Luck -- even more than you do.

Serendipity: Not for long... :mad:

The heroes are attending an event that they expect some bad guys to crash. The players distribute their character counters around the map, and the GM begins placing miscellaneous stuff (crates, barrels, and a forklift) on the map.

Squeeze (OOC): Cool, a forklift! I'll drive it around! I'll be Klaus!

(After a while, the villains make their move.)

GM: You hear a helicopter approaching from the northwest. Everybody's looking that direction... except Squeeze, who is watching his forklift begin to transform into a pair of robotic constructs.

Squeeze: (grabs both constructs) Hey! You trashed my ride!

GM: The attackers are from ADEPT. Last time you fought, they kicked your butts.

Squeeze: No, they didn't. Dr. Discus kicked our butts. [GM note: He was right; last time they fought, I rolled golden for Dr. Discus.]

(Dr. Discus takes a hit from some agents' frost blasters.)

Dr. Discus: You know, I'm sure those blasters utilize principles detailed in my Universal Discal Constant Theory...

Squeeze: No they don't. Snowflakes aren't round. They have six sides, a******!

Artificer is grabbed by Squeeze and rendered (barely) unconscious, so Styx jumps up beside him and winds up for a haymaker that will hit on the end of Phase 9.

GM: Phase 9. Styx, as you're winding up, you see Artificer becoming conscious again.

Styx: (OOC) Good, I want him to see this coming. (IC) I warned you last time. This is what happens when you mess with us. (rolls incredible amount of damage)

GM: Okay, Artificer is now in GM-Discretion-Land and flying through the air. (Moves Artificer's counter across the map.) He lands over here... and vanishes. [GM Note: teleport to a floating location, with Trigger at -20 STUN.]

Styx: He vanishes? (pause, then begins to smile) I knocked him into next week!

More quotes from our Chronicles of the Agency Pulps Champions campaign:

Mighty Huntress: Yay! We get to bash Nazis!

Havoc: No, that's the boys' job. There's no Nazi-bashing in our part of the plan.

Mighty Huntress: :(

Havoc: Sigh. All right. Maybe if you're good you can bash a few Nazis. :rolleyes:

Mighty Huntress: Yay! :bounce:

Mighty Huntress blows a Stealth roll, and Nazi guards start coming down the watchtower to see what's making that noise.

Mighty Huntress: Is there any place to hide?

GM: No, the area has been cleared of any brush or trees.

Mighty Huntress: Can I run over and hide behind the ore cart?

GM: That's pretty far away; you doubt you could make it without being seen.

Mighty Huntress: Can I jump on top of the tower as the guards come down?

GM: There's still two guards up there.

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Swallow your cat instincts and jump into the river!

Mighty Huntress: :shock: Yeah, no. I don't see that happening. Wait, I've got it!

MH then procedes to charge through the darkness, leap at one of the Nazis like a wild jungle cat, grab him, and drag him screaming into the jungle before his partner can react. :eg:

A bit later:

GM: OK, you've knocked your prisoner out. His hair has turned white from terror. What do you do with him?

Mighty Huntress (OOC): MH drags the unconscious Nazi back to her comrades, meowing like a cat that's just killed a mouse and is bringing it home to show everyone. :D

MH's comrades react...

Rocket Ranger: Wow. Subtle. :straight:

Mighty Huntress: If you wanted subtle, you shouldn't have sent me.

Rocket Ranger: That's exactly why we sent you -- you said you could be sneaky!

Mighty Huntress: Oh yeah... :o

Mighty Huntress:

Rocket Ranger: Not now. We've got work to do.

Mighty Huntress: Oh, he is so gay. :(

Patriot:

Rocket Ranger: Don't worry, I don't go for the big muscular types. I'm more into Captain Jefferson.

Patriot:

The Mighty Huntress has just snatched a Nazi guard right out from under his partner's nose...

GM: Make a Universal Translator roll.

Patriot (OOC): Success!

GM: You hear shouting: "Fritz! What happened to Fritz?! Bloomin' faeries got Fritz!"

Poor Fritz. He gets capped in more games.... :D

Guest Major Tom

Originally posted by Lonewalker:

Random quote...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): Only the Mighty Huntress could confuse bondage with respect.

You know, it isn't often that I have a Carlos Mencia moment when I'm prowling

the boards, but posts like this... part of me is curious about what prompted

the above statement, and the other part is afraid to ask.

Major Tom :nonp:

Guest Major Tom

Originally posted by teh bunneh:

Mighty Huntress:

Rocket Ranger: Not now. We've got work to do.

Mighty Huntress: Oh, he is so gay. :(

Patriot:

Rocket Ranger: Don't worry, I don't go for the big muscular types. I'm more into Captain

Jefferson.

Patriot:

Shouldn't that last line have read "eyes Rocket Ranger even more suspiciously"?

Major Tom :snicker:

From Sunday's session of Heracles' Children: The First Age

Callisto and Lydos are talking about his 'meeting' with The Olive Merchant

Callisto: He's on my list.

Lydos: List?

Callisto: If things go to hell and we're leaving the city, the list of people who need to die.

Lydos: Oh.....Good list to have.

One of his team members accused Lydos of starting a gang war between The Olive Merchant and Ichthynos.

Lydos: I didn't start a gang war, I just escalated it!

After a series of events convinces the group that Polyxena and Nicias may be fated to be married; One of the group coments that "These two not getting married seems like a bad idea."

Lydos: Ichthynos nearly died of it.

I'm assuming Gillian is a demon PC of some type?

Gillian is the party bard. She has an interesting sense of humor. They do have a demonic companion named Gift. She doesn't get any QoTW, though; she's an NPC. Plus, she doesn't speak their language all that well.

You know, it isn't often that I have a Carlos Mencia moment when I'm prowling the boards, but posts like this... part of me is curious about what prompted the above statement, and the other part is afraid to ask.

Best that you don't ask. ;)

This more OOC funny timing than anything else.

We start a fight. Doc Turbine, Pulp brick at large, charges in and starts laying about with fists the size of turkeys! Violent Emissions, our friendly neighborhood support blaster, starts laying down cover fire, but she starts taking some huge hits, as does Arcanna, our resident mystic. Doc tells them to pull back so they can recover, and he'll hold the line.

Which he does, wracking up a pile of unconscious agents and sub-leaders around him as he goes.

Arcanna and VE charge back in to see the devastation, Doc still standing strong.

Doc's Player OOC: "I am GODZILLA, and you are TOKYO!"

Doc: "It's okay ladies, I think that took the fight out of them."

This more OOC funny timing than anything else.

We start a fight. Doc Turbine, Pulp brick at large, charges in and starts laying about with fists the size of turkeys! Violent Emissions, our friendly neighborhood support blaster, starts laying down cover fire, but she starts taking some huge hits, as does Arcanna, our resident mystic. Doc tells them to pull back so they can recover, and he'll hold the line.

Which he does, wracking up a pile of unconscious agents and sub-leaders around him as he goes.

Arcanna and VE charge back in to see the devastation, Doc still standing strong.

Doc's Player OOC: "I am GODZILLA, and you are TOKYO!"

Doc: "It's okay ladies, I think that took the fight out of them."

it should thats a great line

Guest Major Tom

Best that you don't ask. ;)

Just what is the rating of this campaign, anyway?!

Major Tom :straight:

Guest Major Tom

Originally posted by Lonewalker:

The GM reports that the section of the Nazi camp where Clubber and Patriot have been fighting

is clear of enemy soldiers...

Clubber (OOC): Okay, I'll throw my jeep over my shoulder and saunter on into the main

camp to see what help I can be.

And some people wonder why there's such an uproar about excessive steriod

use...

Major Tom :sneaky:

Guest steamteck

Wile E coyote insists on calling her powered armor companion Skylord "Astroboy" he even had to do a press interview to get his right name out.

They're fighting a nuclear powered villainess who blasts Skylord pretty hard and smashes through a roof destroying most of a building Wile screams "Astroboy!!"

Nuclear Empress "There's a kid in that suit! Oh no! I've blasted a kid" ( leaves herself wide open)

Skylord ( barely hauling himself up not waiting to take a recovery) No blast it! I'm Skylord ! I'm a man!

The empress blasts him into unconsciousness and does him several body.

The sorceress Kyna Caligari Premier sorceress of the imperial court and daughter of the empress brother in my fantasy world visits the supers world. She looks up the resident sorceress Supreme who hides from mankind because "man is not ready for magic" She figures that anyone hiding must have a nefarious reason so to the despair of the other players grills her.

Kyna - "She's hiding she must be up to something."

Logan Starke ( Doc savage type) "We should be cautious. This isn't our world and things may be different"

Kyna " well the local constables certainly are uppity

Logan You don't get whole proof of crime not just our word around here I take it."

Kyna to Silver Sorceress " You what are your credentials do you have any references?"

The goddess Athena who was studying in the next room enters. Logan has met her before as a patron so recognizes her and cognates the goddess was just hanging out in this woman's home:eek:

Athena " I vouch for her"

Kyna ( as Logan's player practically craps on himself) That's not good enough. you Olympians are not known for good judgment." ( fortunately Athena really likes her mother ( also a current PC both played alternately by my wife)