Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From my Champions game, mostly last night but some from 2 weeks ago:

One of the heroes, Sentinel, is having apartment problems in secret ID. The landlord way-hiked the rent, the hot water keeps cutting out, the elevator is out of order for the third time this month, etc. It appears the landlord is trying to drive the tenants away.

Sentinel (OOC): Maybe nothing's wrong with the elevator. I'll x-ray it to see.

GM: OK, roll on your Mechanics skill.

Sentinel: I don't *have* Mechanics skill.

GM: Then roll an 8-, as an Everyman skill.

(Sentinel fails the roll)

GM: Gee, everything looks just fine to you. (evil grin) Want to ignore the "out of order" sign and give it a try? C'mon, go ahead!

A week later, three gangbangers move in on the first floor and begin harassing the tenants. Sentinel mentions this to Styx, the team's resident scary dark-avenger type. He shows up the next day, disguised as a drunk homeless guy, and knocks on their door "by accident." As Styx expected, they invite him in so they can roll him for any cash he might have. I don't even bother running that fight.

GM: The neighbors call to complain about all the thumping and screams coming from that apartment over the next five minutes.

Styx: I tie their shoes together, hang them out the window, and threaten to drop them if they don't talk.

GM: Well, they *are* on the first floor, so they say, "go ahead."

Styx: I wrap their groins in shrinkwrap plastic and begin applying heat.

Serendipity (OOC): Really?! :eek:

Styx: Oh, yeah. :sneaky:

Styx learns the 'bangers were hired to drive the tenants out. The next day, Sentinel (in secret ID as Caren) is talking about her apartment woes to Serendipity (in secret ID as Samantha) and Samantha's boyfriend, Aiden Beck. Since Beck is a real estate tycoon, Caren asks him about possible big construction projects planned for that block.

Beck: Yeah, I have heard about a group of investors trying to get something going there. But I'm not involved, so I don't know all the details.

Caren: What are they planning to build there?

(As GM, I hadn't thought of such details yet, just that her landlord was trying to drive out tenants so he could sell the building and make a pretty penny.)

Beck: Um... er...

(Other players recognize I'm having a brain fart and start pitching in ideas, which quickly take a turn for the amusing.)

Styx: Condos?

Synergy: An office building...

Squeeze: A VIPER base...

Styx: A secret VIPER base under the office building...

GM: (thinking, what the heck) ... with a Korean laundry on the ground floor.

Sentinel: Yeah, you know how hard it is to get blaster burns out of uniforms?

Squeeze: They could have Green Dragon working there between jobs! (bad Asian accent) What you get on uniform?! Very bad! You go clean now!

Beck also happens to be the super team's financier and has no idea he was actually talking to two heroes from the team he's helping support. So afterward, he approaches Styx.

Beck: I know it's kinda overkill to ask a superhero to intervene, but a friend of my girlfriend is having problems with some gangbangers that moved into her apartment building. I was wondering if you could swing by there next time you're on patrol ...

Styx: Actually, they already moved out. I was just out there yesterday...

Styx: I think they might be connected to COBRA...

Synergy: COBRA?!

GM: Go, Joe!

Styx: ... I meant VIPER...

Middle Earth Game:

========================

"I hear they've got a nice chain of sandwich shops in Moria."

"who knows what shiv may lurk amongst the Haradrim"

==================================

and don't forget the VAN HEZWYK PRINCIPLE of NAVAL ARCHITECTURE.

spend no gold upon the rigging or sails,

for they save ye not.

Translation: do not ever waste your PC's money on the upgrading of sails or engines of your transportation in an RPG, because the speed at which you get someplace is irrelevant to the encounters the DM plans, and all the mercurial swiftness in the known world can Not help you evade an encounter the DM insists must happen.

===================================

We played some LotR wargames:

My Ork commander, having won a pyrrhic victory in a heavy battle,

sighs at the prospect of carving all the messages to send

home to all the grieving goblin moms.

In that same battle, my Orks deployed an Assassin.

the model I used for said assassin is a goblin princess.

(picture a little green woman in a nice dress)

during the battle I steadily advanced the Assassin towards

the Easterling General, despite all the units around.

The Easterlings were run by a new player, who could not seem

to comprehend the Assassin's ability to ignore zones of control.

Him: how'd she get over here?

Me: she doesn't care about other troop formations.

later...

Him:what is she doing in the middle of my army?

Me: look, we told you, Assassins ignore Zone-of-Control.

still later....

Him: How did she pass through those spearmen next to my General !?!?

Me: look man, she just curtsied her way up there, okay?

later on, some of the Easterling riders were forced to retreat from a fierce melee.

behind them was a rock formation and another huge melee.

in the rules, when a retreat cannot be completed, the unit is destroyed instead.

Him: you mean my riders can't find any way out?

GM: no they are destroyed.

Me: maybe they should have curtsied

This is another Rifts story, but this one deserves particular special mention. I've been GMing games a long time, but NEVER, NEVER in all my born days have I seen anything like this.

One of the PC's decides that he's going to motivate the group before they're done with training for skills and selling their loot.

So he goes to the lizard man alchemist in Kingsdale and asks if he has a Millennium Tree Wand of Deception. I roll randomly, and the Lizard Man has one. He asks him how much it is. "650,000 credits and a service."

So he says "Sure. What's the service?"

Lizard Man: You must travel to the bayous of Lowesssssiana and acquire the following thingssss. The egg of a Giant Hunter Turtle, a chunk of rock from a pre-rifts gravestone, the eyes of a mutant crayfish, and a branch from a cypress tree.

Dragon Wolf Mind Melter: Sure! Here's the 650,000 credits....can I have the wand now?

Lizard Man: Our arrangement is not complete.

Dragon Wolf Mind Melter: What do I have to do to get the wand now?

Lizard Man: Sssign this agreement. It ssstates that you have fourteen weeksss to come up with my itemssss. (And yes, I did really slur all those "S" es) If you fail to produce them, this shop reserves the right to place a two million bounty on your head, pending it's ssseparatsshun from your sssshouldersss and the return of the wand.

OOC: Now, at this point, most people usually get the idea that what they're about to do is REALLY DUMB!

Dragon Wolf Mind Melter: Sure! (Signs it with a paw print)

So, he goes back to the group, and he says "Guys, I got us a wand!" and throws it on the table.

A discussion about how he got the wand ensues, during which time the actions he took are revealed.

Now, the GMPC is a Knight of the White Rose pretending to be an evil mystic knight. In 20 years, I've never actively, as a character, encouraged the killing of a PC as a GMPC...until TODAY! She reasoned that it was more efficient to kill him, collect the two million credits, that are currently representing a colossal bounty on her head, wait the fourteen weeks and collect the money. The worst part is, this IS self defense.

The other PC's actually had to hold her back from killing him. It was hilarious!

So the PC's leader (A dogboy) gets the group a job collecting cypress roots in the swamp for money, which partially assuages the angry KOTWR, as well as the other characters.

And now, of course, in addition to the dangers of the swamp, the coalition patrols, the necromancers, the vampires, and the undead mystic knights, ghosts, haunting entiities, zombies, and voodoo priests that inhabit the Bayou, we now have DOZENS of bounty hunters! The MOMENT this is filed with the office of the Kingsdale Mercenaries guild, some unscrupulous bastard will likely discover this and attempt to give them deadline blues.

They're screwed...

Of course not, silly! If it comes from another planet, then it's just alien technology. :)

I mean really, it's like complaining why no one recognizes Superman just because he wears those glasses. :doi:

:winkgrin:

But what if the alien technology is indiscernible from magic?

Doc

This is another Rifts story' date=' but this one deserves particular special mention. I've been GMing games a long time, but NEVER, NEVER in all my born days have I seen anything like this.[/quote']

you see stupid.

I see the opportunity for one of the coolest quests ever, truly this is an Epic in the making.

too bad you missed an opportunity there by thinking your players were stupid.

you see stupid.

I see the opportunity for one of the coolest quests ever, truly this is an Epic in the making.

too bad you missed an opportunity there by thinking your players were stupid.

QFT.

Whats to say they couldnt actually GET all this stuff by the deadline?

I dont see "stupid" in the Player's actions here either.

Getting the egg of a Giant Hunter Turtle sounds like a cool adventure.

A chunk of stone from a pre-Rifts gravestone. No biggie.

A branch from a cyprus tree. Easy-peasy.

Eyes of a Mutant Crayfish. Well, either thats a cakewalk (if there are several kinds of Crayfish mutants and you can take the eyes from the easiest one to kill you can find), or another cool adventure if a Mutant Crayfish is something specific thats worth some XPs.

If shes willing to decapitate a comrade and hang on to his head for FOURTEEN WEEKS (otherwise known as THREE AND A HALF MONTHS) waiting for the bounty to go active, then maybe the Knight of the White Rose wasnt pretending to be evil after all.

And heres what I originally came in to do >_<

----------------

Neutron (OOC): Okay, Ill go to the San Diego Comics Con and take pictures of all the people in costumes.

Feline Fury (OOC): And Ill use the "Interpose" Feat to be in all of his shots! :D

--------------

Feline Fury: Whered you spend your vacation?

Inertia: Oh, I went all over. The south of France, Italy, Greece, Madrid, and the some time in Hawaii. I flew all over.

Feline Fury: Its cool that you can fly all around the world so fast.

Neutron: Youre lucky. I have to obey the laws of physics.

Feline Fury: No you dont! You can fly too!I have to obey the laws of physics!

Samson: HA! You can run like 30 miles an hour! You can jump 70 yards! I cant fly, or jump, or even run fast! My power is density control! Thanks to how physics works I cant even FALL faster than you! :P

QFT.

Especially when they can get a job gathering cypress roots...

Eyes of a Mutant Crayfish. Well, either thats a cakewalk (if there are several kinds of Crayfish mutants and you can take the eyes from the easiest one to kill you can find), or another cool adventure if a Mutant Crayfish is something specific thats worth some XPs.

If shes willing to decapitate a comrade and hang on to his head for FOURTEEN WEEKS (otherwise known as THREE AND A HALF MONTHS) waiting for the bounty to go active, then maybe the Knight of the White Rose wasnt pretending to be evil after all.

Agreed.

Seems to me it would be much more cinematic to spend 14 weeks of great adventure bringing completion of the service right down to the wire for a dramatic finish.

QFT.

Note also that the KotWR was a GMPC. That is, the GM was about to punish the PC/player for doing something that the GM thought was stupid. If the GM didn't want the PC to have the wand (which seems to be the case), then the wand shouldn't have been present at the vendor at all.

A week later, three gangbangers move in on the first floor and begin harassing the tenants. Sentinel mentions this to Styx, the team's resident scary dark-avenger type. He shows up the next day, disguised as a drunk homeless guy, and knocks on their door "by accident." As Styx expected, they invite him in so they can roll him for any cash he might have. I don't even bother running that fight.

That, sir, is by far the best sentence I have read to date.

QFT.

The problem is that they're not in an area where governments and people are unbuyable. The main issue is that groups like this make enemies, and now they'll have more enemies. This guy doesn't keep the contract in his desk. He has to file it with the corrupt bureaucratic militaristic government, which they know is corrupt because they used it to beat the last adventure.

So things will start small. A damaged starter motor on their vehicle, etc, just little things to keep them in town and delay them, and eat up time.

We'll see how it goes. But usually, I like to ASK my fellow players before agreeing to risky contracts that bet their lives against an invisible clock. He signed first, and came through the door afterwards. He committed to an effective contract without telling his fellow adventurers. That has a tendancy to make people angry.

Think of others, they think of you well.

Note also that the KotWR was a GMPC. That is' date=' the GM was about to punish the PC/player for doing something that the GM thought was stupid. If the GM didn't want the PC to have the wand (which seems to be the case), then the wand shouldn't have been present at the vendor at all.[/quote']

You must run games a lot differently than I do, Peregrine, and you're making an assumption about my GMing style which I find offensive. It wasn't that I didn't want him to have the wand. It's that if he agrees to cash and a service, the service should be performed PRIOR to the receipt of any merchandise, unless the service is something like returning the character to life, in which case the merchandise is inherent in the action.

I honestly don't care if he has the wand or not. That's not the point. The point is that you don't take on missions and expect the rest of the group to do them for nothing. That's what he did. And yes, I grilled the guy who created the KOTWR about what the character did after I did it, because I WAS worried that I had been too hard on him, and he agreed with what the GMPC did.

I don't care what gear people have in RIFTS. Hero is generally a gearless game unless people pay points for things. What I do care about is making sure the GENRE is enforced.

But don't make assumptions about how people run games. It's rude. Every other player at that table had a character that knew what he did was bad. They didn't need my urging to come to that conclusion. They ALREADY had come to that conclusion. Did the characters kill him? No.

I run an RPG virtually every night most weeks these days. If my players didn't have faith in me or trust me, they PROBABLY would not return. But assuming that OOC Knowledge had something to do with it is utter nonsense.

But' date=' it is of minimal concern to them if he's the only one that signed...[/quote']

Uhh, Greywind, what's the problem with that? :) A bunch of guys come visit you, interested in collecting the bounty on him. They are armed and dangerous, and you are alone.

Some of these groups may take information from you and walk away. Some may take information from you and say ""Well, can't let you tell him, now..." BANG!

Not one of these characters, and I stress this, not one, is willing to take that risk.

Uhh, Greywind, what's the problem with that? :) A bunch of guys come visit you, interested in collecting the bounty on him. They are armed and dangerous, and you are alone.

Some of these groups may take information from you and walk away. Some may take information from you and say ""Well, can't let you tell him, now..." BANG!

Not one of these characters, and I stress this, not one, is willing to take that risk.

I was reading it more as 'only the guy who signed the contract is liable', meaning in 14 weeks, the rest of the party is off the hook. Unless he has some 'group power of attorney' or something and can speak for everybody.

"We didn't fulfill the contract, we're all gonna die!"

"What's this 'we' business, bucko?"

I was reading it more as 'only the guy who signed the contract is liable', meaning in 14 weeks, the rest of the party is off the hook. Unless he has some 'group power of attorney' or something and can speak for everybody.

"We didn't fulfill the contract, we're all gonna die!"

"What's this 'we' business, bucko?"

Pretty much what I was saying...

With that chest? She's already breakin' the law!

Doc

Shes four times stronger than her size and build would indcate, meaning shes got a 19 STR and is stronger than most pro football players. And she regenerates almost instantly from minor damage. Making her immune to stretchmarks. That should cover the "physics" angle. Even tho the point is that she was saying she cant fly.

But it seems every time shes come up lately someone has decided to give me grief about her.

I can just quit posting Feline Fury quotes, if thats what you guys want.:thumbdown

Note also that the KotWR was a GMPC. That is' date=' the GM was about to punish the PC/player for doing something that the GM thought was stupid. If the GM didn't want the PC to have the wand (which seems to be the case), then the wand shouldn't have been present at the vendor at all.[/quote']

or he could have sasid the wand had been PAID FOR and the vendor was holding it for the buyer