Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

None of this would have happened if he had agreed to do the task without keeping the wand in his possession, Bubba. There isn't a sane businessman in the world who would have given him the wand to complete his task with. He wanted the wand immediately.

Only the biggest retard in the world lets a total stranger walk out of his shop with a priceless piece of merchandise and a down payment when he has no way of finding him.

Shes four times stronger than her size and build would indcate' date=' meaning shes got a 19 STR and is stronger than most pro football players. And she regenerates almost instantly from minor damage. Making her immune to stretchmarks. That should cover the "physics" angle. Even tho the point is that she was saying she cant [i']fly[/i].

But it seems every time shes come up lately someone has decided to give me grief about her.

I can just quit posting Feline Fury quotes, if thats what you guys want.:thumbdown

I think her proportions have become a running gag, that's all. myself love the quotes.

ok i've seen shopkeepers hold things for customers before thats what i'mthinking of

And I think the merchant would have been happy to do so. It's the fact that the PC wanted to walk out with it right there that created the adventure fodder (and that the PC, therefore, created these adventures, potentially dangerous, without the rest of the party's consent for such a stupid reason, while painting a great big target sign on their head for their enemies - who the PC should have reasonably expected to get wind of this - to shoot for.)

Besides... when you start looking at return on investment (we're talking RIFTS here, not Hero)? Taking his head, collecting the 2 million bounty, and keeping the wand (or returning it, if required - still 2 million ahead and one idiot down) isn't half bad....

Don't know anything about the KOTWR, but I'd say it's well within reason for a Rifts character to suggest it, from what I know about the setting....

Back on topic: A quote from Sentry City. Miss Mystique is debating the virtues of killing certain psychotic villains with the CvK brick, Steele. Her general assessment is that dead people can't come back to hurt anybody else.

Steele: "Says the ghost who nearly killed somebody, making this whole conversation necessary in the first place."

Seems like this is getting pretty heated.

This is another Rifts story' date=' but this one deserves particular special mention. I've been GMing games a long time, but NEVER, NEVER in all my born days have I seen anything like this. [/quote']

Opening with this line says "I am about to tell you about the stupidest action by the stupidest player ever". Many of us simply don't see it that way.

One of the PC's decides that he's going to motivate the group before they're done with training for skills and selling their loot.

Did he SAY this or are you assuming that was his motivation (just like some of us have assumed you didn't want the player to have the wand)?

So he goes to the lizard man alchemist in Kingsdale and asks if he has a Millennium Tree Wand of Deception. I roll randomly, and the Lizard Man has one. He asks him how much it is. "650,000 credits and a service."

So he says "Sure. What's the service?"

Lizard Man: You must travel to the bayous of Lowesssssiana and acquire the following thingssss. The egg of a Giant Hunter Turtle, a chunk of rock from a pre-rifts gravestone, the eyes of a mutant crayfish, and a branch from a cypress tree.

To me, that sounds a lot more like an adventure hook than a death threat from the GM. So I, as a player, would be thinking "cool - the GM's going to use my gear hunting expedition to start the next scenario rolling".

Sure, the characters' lives will be at risk, they'll be hard pressed to succeed, etc. etc. Isn't that the expectation of the players - they didn't come out to play characters running a tea shop with their greatest challenge rolling to successfully count out their customer's change.

If the service is impossible, which seems to be what you're insinuating, then presumably our Lizard Man friend isn't much of a businessman - otherwise, he'd be interested in actually selling the wand, and he would have provided his price - at least starting negotiations.

Dragon Wolf Mind Melter: Sure! Here's the 650,000 credits....can I have the wand now?

Lizard Man: Our arrangement is not complete.

Dragon Wolf Mind Melter: What do I have to do to get the wand now?

Lizard Man: Sssign this agreement. It ssstates that you have fourteen weeksss to come up with my itemssss. (And yes, I did really slur all those "S" es) If you fail to produce them, this shop reserves the right to place a two million bounty on your head, pending it's ssseparatsshun from your sssshouldersss and the return of the wand.

OOC: Now, at this point, most people usually get the idea that what they're about to do is REALLY DUMB!

Or where the player thinks "OK, the GM wants to add some time pressure. Maybe we need the wand to complete the quest". What prevents the Lizard man from simply saying you get the merchandise (excuse me, merssshhhandisssssssse) when you complete your ssssservisssessss and not before"?

Dragon Wolf Mind Melter: Sure! (Signs it with a paw print)

So, he goes back to the group, and he says "Guys, I got us a wand!" and throws it on the table.

OK, from this it sounds like the wand is a valuable commodity, and one that the PC has obtained, not for himself, but for "us" - that is the group.

A discussion about how he got the wand ensues, during which time the actions he took are revealed.

Now, the GMPC is a Knight of the White Rose pretending to be an evil mystic knight. In 20 years, I've never actively, as a character, encouraged the killing of a PC as a GMPC...until TODAY! She reasoned that it was more efficient to kill him, collect the two million credits, that are currently representing a colossal bounty on her head, wait the fourteen weeks and collect the money. The worst part is, this IS self defense.

What's the wand actually worth, by the way? 650k credits + "a service" versus a 2 million cred reward to get it back? I assume it must be worth more than 2 million credits. That means this is a mission worth 1.5 million credits +. Either that, or the Lizard Man isn't remotely astute from a business perspective. I'm assuming this is a lot of coin, and that adventurers would have a tough time walking away from a 1.5 million+ credit job.

The other PC's actually had to hold her back from killing him. It was hilarious!

OK, rephrased "It was sure hilarious for me to watch the other PC's try to hold their ally, who I was running, back from killing their other ally." In my games, that's the kind of situation that results in one of the two characters being "fired" from the party. That could be the GMPC, or it could be the PC - but to have one character who's homocidal to another, and both stay in the group, doesn't seem tactically wise.

So the PC's leader (A dogboy) gets the group a job collecting cypress roots in the swamp for money' date=' which partially assuages the angry KOTWR, as well as the other characters.[/quote']

How much money? Does it compare well to earning 1.5 million credits in 14 weeks? Gotta say, when I come to an adventure game, obtaining the egg of the giant turtle and eye of the mutant crayfish is more in line with my expectations than "go in the swamp and pick roots".

And now' date=' of course, in addition to the dangers of the swamp, the coalition patrols, the necromancers, the vampires, and the undead mystic knights, ghosts, haunting entiities, zombies, and voodoo priests that inhabit the Bayou, we now have DOZENS of bounty hunters! The MOMENT this is filed with the office of the Kingsdale Mercenaries guild, some unscrupulous bastard will likely discover this and attempt to give them deadline blues. [/quote']

Why "them"? The other players certainly have the option of tossing the wand back and saying "your deal - your problem". If they aren't going to do that, then take the adventure hook and get working on the job!

They're screwed...

Only if the GM decides to screw them, rather than take the cinematic approach and run the adventure he set up. At least that's the way I, and it looks like more than a few others, see it.

Maybe I'm not reading close enough - has anyone else said "I agree with the GM - the player is an idiot"?

The problem is that they're not in an area where governments and people are unbuyable. The main issue is that groups like this make enemies' date=' and now they'll have more enemies. This guy doesn't keep the contract in his desk. He has to file it with the corrupt bureaucratic militaristic government, which they know is corrupt because they used it to beat the last adventure. [/quote']

More enemies - isn't that what the players (rather than the characters) expect and even want? Han Solo wasn't too sharp to end up so deep in debt to Jabba, but conservative characters engaging in low risk activities for minimal profit aren't really what heroic fiction or adventure gaming are all about. At least, not to me.

So things will start small. A damaged starter motor on their vehicle' date=' etc, just little things to keep them in town and delay them, and eat up time. [/quote']

So the adventurers will face challenges. Isn't that expected?

We'll see how it goes. But usually' date=' I like to ASK my fellow players before agreeing to risky contracts that bet [b']their lives [/b]against an invisible clock. He signed first, and came through the door afterwards. He committed to an effective contract without telling his fellow adventurers. That has a tendancy to make people angry.

He bet HIS life. They can tell him to take a walk, and you can tell him to make a new character.

or he could have sasid the wand had been PAID FOR and the vendor was holding it for the buyer

He could have said "You get the want when you complete the job. You have 14 weeks, after which it's back on sale to whoever meets my price".

None of this would have happened if he had agreed to do the task without keeping the wand in his possession' date=' Bubba. [b']There isn't a sane businessman in the world who would have given him the wand to complete his task with.[/b] He wanted the wand immediately.

Rephrased, the lizard man isn't a sane businessman?

Only the biggest retard in the world lets a total stranger walk out of his shop with a priceless piece of merchandise and a down payment when he has no way of finding him.

Adventure gamers tend to believe the task set for them is an actual adventure at which they can succeed. The stakes are often immediate death if they fail - this way, it's just being hunted. No matter how good the hunters are, they can't be more fatal than being eaten by a giant turtle.

BTW, why would the Lizard Man cheerfully pay out 2 million credits as a bounty turned in by the guy's known associate? That looks like a setup to me - you get this poor chump to make a deal for the wand, which he can't keep. So then you turn the chump in for the bounty. I get my want back, and I'm out 1,350,000 credits. Sounds like your Knight is pulling a scam (unless the Lizard Man is operating on OOC knowledge).

...that feels like a stretch.

Personally, while I don´t think the player´s an idiot, I do think his (or her) actions in this case were idiotic, or at the least very (VERY) questionable.

Now, as a player, I might be amused/pleased by this. Stupid things can be hilarious, and lead to great adventures. Generally the kind of stupidity that has no redeeming value is pointless, counterproductive stupidity. ¨I call the King a buttmonkey because I don´t like the way he treats us.¨ ....what? Really?

Then again, as a player, I might be extremely annoyed. Even though I have no contractual obligation, I have been put into a position where I must choose between:

-cutting a fellow party member loose (when his life is in extreme danger)

-taking on a burdensome task that does not relate to our primary mission, my personal interests, or really anything at all.

The first path is complicated by the probable occurence that even if I tell him to walk and come find us if he survives, I´m STILL going to have to deal with it as people who want to find him are going to find me first (sometimes). Hugh, you know you can´t just say ¨Oh, but they´ll just refuse to have anything to do with it and they´ll be fine¨ because that´s not the case. Plenty of people (smart, dumb, reasonable, and homicidally violent) will want information (at the least) from the group... whether they have it or not. I don´t really know anything about RIFTS, except that it seems to be a...setting?.... in which violence is a very legitimate solution to most of life´s problems.

What staggers MY mind are the prices we´re talking about...and the business model. I´ll have to assume that the 2 million bounty is more than the value of the wand (to ensure its actual return) and that it´s set up as a punitive measure to get word around so that future customers won´t waste Mr. Lizard´s time in the future. Still, the entire arrangement seems more than a little excessive.

Guest Major Tom

From my Champions game, mostly last night but some from 2 weeks ago:

One of the heroes, Sentinel, is having apartment problems in secret ID. The landlord way-hiked the rent, the hot water keeps cutting out, the elevator is out of order for the third time this month, etc. It appears the landlord is trying to drive the tenants away.

Sentinel (OOC): Maybe nothing's wrong with the elevator. I'll x-ray it to see.

GM: OK, roll on your Mechanics skill.

Sentinel: I don't *have* Mechanics skill.

GM: Then roll an 8-, as an Everyman skill.

(Sentinel fails the roll)

GM: Gee, everything looks just fine to you. (evil grin) Want to ignore the "out of order" sign and give it a try? C'mon, go ahead!

A week later, three gangbangers move in on the first floor and begin harassing the tenants. Sentinel mentions this to Styx, the team's resident scary dark-avenger type. He shows up the next day, disguised as a drunk homeless guy, and knocks on their door "by accident." As Styx expected, they invite him in so they can roll him for any cash he might have. I don't even bother running that fight.

GM: The neighbors call to complain about all the thumping and screams coming from that apartment over the next five minutes.

Styx: I tie their shoes together, hang them out the window, and threaten to drop them if they don't talk.

GM: Well, they *are* on the first floor, so they say, "go ahead."

Styx: I wrap their groins in shrinkwrap plastic and begin applying heat.

Serendipity (OOC): Really?! :eek:

Styx: Oh, yeah. :sneaky:

Styx learns the 'bangers were hired to drive the tenants out. The next day, Sentinel (in secret ID as Caren) is talking about her apartment woes to Serendipity (in secret ID as Samantha) and Samantha's boyfriend, Aiden Beck. Since Beck is a real estate tycoon, Caren asks him about possible big construction projects planned for that block.

Beck: Yeah, I have heard about a group of investors trying to get something going there. But I'm not involved, so I don't know all the details.

Caren: What are they planning to build there?

(As GM, I hadn't thought of such details yet, just that her landlord was trying to drive out tenants so he could sell the building and make a pretty penny.)

Beck: Um... er...

(Other players recognize I'm having a brain fart and start pitching in ideas, which quickly take a turn for the amusing.)

Styx: Condos?

Synergy: An office building...

Squeeze: A VIPER base...

Styx: A secret VIPER base under the office building...

GM: (thinking, what the heck) ... with a Korean laundry on the ground floor.

Sentinel: Yeah, you know how hard it is to get blaster burns out of uniforms?

Squeeze: They could have Green Dragon working there between jobs! (bad Asian accent) What you get on uniform?! Very bad! You go clean now!

Beck also happens to be the super team's financier and has no idea he was actually talking to two heroes from the team he's helping support. So afterward, he approaches Styx.

Beck: I know it's kinda overkill to ask a superhero to intervene, but a friend of my girlfriend is having problems with some gangbangers that moved into her apartment building. I was wondering if you could swing by there next time you're on patrol ...

Styx: Actually, they already moved out. I was just out there yesterday...

Styx: I think they might be connected to COBRA...

Synergy: COBRA?!

GM: Go, Joe!

Styx: ... I meant VIPER...

Oh, wow...I can just imagine the following:

Gangbanger #1: "Hey, man, you wanna find some wino to roll?"

Gangbanger #2: "Are you freaking nuts or something?! The winos around

here are crazy, man! One of 'em tried to turn my nads into Shrinky-Dinks

last week!"

Major Tom :D

Shes four times stronger than her size and build would indcate' date=' meaning shes got a 19 STR and is stronger than most pro football players. And she regenerates almost instantly from minor damage. Making her immune to stretchmarks. That should cover the "physics" angle. Even tho the point is that she was saying she cant [i']fly[/i].

But it seems every time shes come up lately someone has decided to give me grief about her.

I can just quit posting Feline Fury quotes, if thats what you guys want.:thumbdown

Chill, dude.

If you're going to be touchy about folks commenting about your character renditions, maybe you need to be more aware of what reaction they're going to get beforehand.

From what you've described, our reaction is pretty much what you expected when you created the character. Can you blame us for having it? :)

Moving on...

Nestor: It's not just comments on the character, but some people have extended their comments to the creator of the image (which happens to be him) saying things like “obviously someone didn’t date much in college” and referring to the character as a “mouth-breather wet-dream fantasy.” Furthermore, people continue with these comments when he adds quotes later, even without the picture.

As a side note:

Mouth breathing refers to the state of inhaling and exhaling through the mouth.

A healthy individual normally breathes through the nose while resting or doing light exercise, and breathes simultaneously through both the nose and mouth during vigorous aerobic exercise, in order to supply sufficient oxygen.

Excessive mouth breathing is problematic because air is not filtered and warmed as much as when inhaled through the nose, as it bypasses the nasal canal and paranasal sinuses, and dries out the mouth. Mouth breathing is often associated with congestion, obstruction, or other abnormalities of the upper respiratory tract. Mouth breathing is a diagnostic sign of adenoiditis especially with persistent rhinorrhea. Comorbidities include asthma, obesity, snoring, halitosis, and obstructive sleep apnea.

Social perception

Mouth breathing in public is sometimes considered to be less socially acceptable or attractive than nose breathing, as mouth breathers can appear to have a somewhat "slack jawed" look, and mouth breathing can cause or exacerbate bad breath.

Buteyko asthma treatment

Mouth breathing may have a role in exacerbating asthma. One of the principal aims of the Buteyko method for the treatment of asthma is to encourage nasal breathing.

Using “Mouth-breather” as an insult is itself insulting. Using the negative connotation given to the term by ignorant people is rude and annoying. It’s kind of like using “retard” as an insult around people who are cognitively disabled. You might not see what the big deal is, but it is demeaning.

Personally, I find the character a bit of a caricature, but fairly appropriate for the genre. And with her regen rate, it's not like she can get breast reduction surgery. :D

And I enjoy the quotes. They're some of my favorites.

enough with the he said/she said whatevers... some people like the image, some people don't like the image, some people just like to comment.

It's a picture of a superheroine. Screw reality, the player/artist likes it, that's enough for me.

Back to the quotes.

enough with the he said/she said whatevers... some people like the image, some people don't like the image, some people just like to comment.

It's a picture of a superheroine. Screw reality, the player/artist likes it, that's enough for me.

Back to the quotes.

What he said. :)

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

It's cool, man, it's a friendly kind of grief. Like a lot of comic book heroines, she's... pretty overdeveloped. And then you expose her to a bunch of gamer geeks, this is kind of the thing you have to expect.

Besides, she's love.gif

And maybe Id be better reading these threads when Im not tired and on a caffiene-deficiency headache jag.

If some of you will quit with the derogatory remarks and the name calling, Ill quit with the knee-jerk overreactions and spazz-outs.

Fair enough? :)

Dude! That wasn't grief, that was humor!

I get the concept of the character, but I still think it is funny that a character whose breasts defy gravity is complaining that she can't fly. I'm sorry if it came across as criticism. It wasn't meant that way.

Doc

Middle Earth Game:

========================

In that same battle, my Orks deployed an Assassin.

the model I used for said assassin is a goblin princess.

(picture a little green woman in a nice dress)

during the battle I steadily advanced the Assassin towards

the Easterling General, despite all the units around.

Him: How did she pass through those spearmen next to my General !?!?

Me: look man, she just curtsied her way up there, okay?

here's the link to the photo of the Goblin Princess in question

==

==

Okay. Can't remember character's names, so will just be using Initials. D&D game. I was GMing.

Little bit of background.

J: Swashbuckler. About it.

K: Rogue. Has a family that creates potions.

Now the quotes

K: I go to a tavern since they tend to have live rabbits for food some times

K's Character: Do you have any live rabbits?

Npc: Yes *Chopping sound* ...Sorry, fresh out.

Me: Fine. To get the story moving again, you got the live rabbit.

K: I use my easter potion on it. *Proceeds to describe the effects*

J's character: This goblin is pretty smart.

K: (Desert) is pretty good at playing a stupid goblin.

Don't leave us hanging' date=' man. What's the Easter potion do? :help:[/quote']

Makes it come back from the dead three days after its been killed. Unfortunately, in the case of rabbits, this usually also means after it has been cooked and eaten.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I'm going to H*ll now.

And if you've ever had to pass a live rabbit... the less said, the better.