Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Used to play SFB a lot, as did a number of friends. I dropped out just after Commander's Rulebook V1 for several reasons. Mainly because it became a classic example of 'Squad Leader Syndrome - so many rules that it became less about playing the game and mostly about which rules people could remember, and how well, and where they were in the book.

HATED the add-on ECM/ECCM rules, especially when they became standard. I think that is another reason I finally lost interest. That, and the publisher's frequent practice of promising they would NOT do certain things, then going ahead and doing it.

Fond memories regardless. Particularly liked the X-Technology rules - I was the group's resident X-Tech buff. Did a 1st-Gen X-Tech conversion (official rules - at the time!) of the Federation's Galactic Survey Cruiser design ("cut-down" variant of the Heavy Cruiser, optimized for exploration). By ghod, the USS Bonaventure was an elegant ship.

Can't disagree with any of that. SFB and Squad Leader are of a kind in that regard.

And I loved the X-Tech stuff myself. I did a rulebreaker - an X-conversion of the Fed Heavy Battlecruiser. Beautiful ship; too bad I never got a chance to take her out for a run.

I used to play SFB a lot. Actually came up with my own large map stretegy game and wrote a program in basic to aid with it. And long, long ago, on another board that I posted as a Gorn advocate, I was asked to become the official Gorn advocate on that board. Declined. Did not have the time.

And I agree, the rules were complex, and I was the one who remembered them the best in my rather obsessed group. Hard to find players that do not take it waaaay too seriously as to the rules.

I used to play SFB back in high school. I was the Hydra and ended up cannibalizing some SPI modern aircraft combat game (I think it was Foxbat and Phantom) for counters (since they had various aircraft models all numbered 1-24). It was fun, but good lord, the Commander's Edition was way to complex for my tastes.

I know SFB is still out there, but yeah, finding people willing to play with was neigh impossible once I got out of college. You think people balk at the size of ReFReD? You should see their eyes when they see the 4" D-Ring binder that is SFB.

What turned me of SFB was the "Arms Race". I got the game in the original 'Deluxe' edition, which came with a box. And in that edition, the best cruiser was the Federation's CA. We spent many hours trying to match/beat it with the other races cruisers, and were just getting to the point of inventing (on our own) what would become known as the Klingon Sabre Dance and the Gorn Anchor when the first expansion came out and solved the problem for us by giving everyone else better ships. The better ships, PLUS the better tactics we had developed meant that the Federation was at a disadvantage... and when we figured out the tactics for that, they came out with the second expansion which made those tactics moot.

Every expansion, every issue of Captain's Log, every time we turned around, somebody got a new ship/refit/rule change that totally altered the balance of power.

Add in the poorly written rules, the poorly written addendum to the poorly written rules, the final "we're never going to change this again" commander's edition, the also final "we're absolutely never going to change this again, this time we mean it" captain's edition, and the series of errata for the captain's edition which they swore that they'd never do...

(Oh, and my pet peeve: the Nerfing of the Federation. Because humans can't be the best at anything. And the ISC: let's design the tactics that can beat anyone, then give them the weapons they need to carry it out.)

Back on topic - thank you

Here's why you know my character is a Barbarian :

last adventure we looted some stuff, one was shiny suit of chainmail,

which later after the heat of battle and escaping we appraised to be

bona fide dwarven mithril chain. So we had escaped with "the price

of the entire Shire" in our hot little hands. Now were nowhere near Gondor

so we went to the nearest Elven stronghold to get this thing into safe keeping.

Brame aka Gondor traded them the suit, saying he would require grand favors

later from the Elves for our characters and his family. Okay now you and I (OOC) know that the

elves would honor this, but not my character: he wants his share now,

and gets the elves to outfit him with some personal armor and minor magic items,

as well as new equipment and full outfitting, etc.etc.

Of course behind my character's back the Elves roll their eyes :stupid:

and chuckle at the Barbarian swapping untold wealth for

a few trinkets he could touch right now

============================================

players got rooked by DM; wasted month in Elf land

Since we as players never asked any questions about "when do we...",

or like "how long till we..." or "how soon can we..." the DM ruled

that we had gotten all caught up in hanging out with our Elven friends.

So we lost a whole month there partying. Just like in the frickin trilogy. :straight:

=========================================

given without context:

"we're not gleemen, we have jobs you know."

======================================

Later back in Harad, we come across a hidden Umbar trading post.

there was free beer in the fest-hall, so my character settles down

for a long long party, while we wait for the caravans to come by

that we have to spy upon for our bosses.

here's my scam, simple and fun :D

cast delay poison on self, then challenge Harad bumpkin to drinking contest.

Re: Back on topic - thank you

here's my scam, simple and fun :D

cast delay poison on self, then challenge Harad bumpkin to drinking contest.

Wait... Oh DELAY poison. I thought you said neutralize poison and I thought "where's the fun in that?"

Oh and thank you for bringing the thread back on topic.

What turned me of SFB was the "Arms Race". I got the game in the original 'Deluxe' edition, which came with a box. And in that edition, the best cruiser was the Federation's CA. We spent many hours trying to match/beat it with the other races cruisers, and were just getting to the point of inventing (on our own) what would become known as the Klingon Sabre Dance and the Gorn Anchor when the first expansion came out and solved the problem for us by giving everyone else better ships. The better ships, PLUS the better tactics we had developed meant that the Federation was at a disadvantage... and when we figured out the tactics for that, they came out with the second expansion which made those tactics moot.

Every expansion, every issue of Captain's Log, every time we turned around, somebody got a new ship/refit/rule change that totally altered the balance of power.

Add in the poorly written rules, the poorly written addendum to the poorly written rules, the final "we're never going to change this again" commander's edition, the also final "we're absolutely never going to change this again, this time we mean it" captain's edition, and the series of errata for the captain's edition which they swore that they'd never do...

(Oh, and my pet peeve: the Nerfing of the Federation. Because humans can't be the best at anything. And the ISC: let's design the tactics that can beat anyone, then give them the weapons they need to carry it out.)

Heh. Change a few key words, and you can almost use that exact argument to explain what turned me off to Car Wars. Oh, the maniacal arena battles we had back in the day... :o

I used to play SFB back in high school. I was the Hydra and ended up cannibalizing some SPI modern aircraft combat game (I think it was Foxbat and Phantom) for counters (since they had various aircraft models all numbered 1-24). It was fun' date=' but good lord, the Commander's Edition was way to complex for my tastes.[/quote']

And apparently the Captain's Edition got worse...:( (Never had the Commander's Edition, but the Captain's Edition takes up a 5" 3-ring binder:eek: - before even getting to the vast inventory of ships... :nonp::idjit: )

Sort of like Car Wars towards the end of its life.

Not even close. Car Wars, even with the Boat Wars, Aeroduel, Deathtrack, and Tanks! expansions, only comes up to about a fifth of the page count of rules. If that...

Hm, like many others, I enjoyed SFB back in the day, but gave up trying to find people to play it with long ago. These days I get my sci-fi-warfare fix from computer games instead. Games with tactical starship combat simulations are out there if you look for them! :) Some of them in the Star Trek universe, even a few in the SFB version thereof.

Oh there's mess of them...

Star Wars: A New Hope

10. "Get in there you big furry oaf, I don't care what you smell!"

9. "Luke, at that speed do you think you'll be able to pull out in time?"

8. "Put that thing away before you get us all killed."

7. "You've got something jammed in here real good."

6. "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

5. "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought."

4. "Sorry about the mess..."

3. "Look at the size of that thing!"

2. "Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

1. "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

The Empire Strikes Back

10. "I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me."

9. "Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?"

8. "There's an awful lot of moisture in here."

7. "But now we must eat. Come, good food, come..."

6. "That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

5. "Hurry up, golden-rod..."

4. "I must've hit it pretty close to the mark to get her all riled up like that, huh kid?"

3. "Possible he came in through the south entrance."

2. "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!"

1. "Control, control! You must learn control!"

Return of the Jedi

10. "Hey, point that thing someplace else."

9. "I look forward to completing your training. In time you will call me master."

8. "I never knew I had it in me."

7. "There is good in him, I've felt it."

6. "Grab me, Chewie. I'm slipping -- hold on. Grab it, almost... you almost got it. Gently now, all right, easy, easy, hold me Chewie."

5. "Hey, Luke, thanks for coming after me -- now I owe you one."

4. "Back door, huh? Good idea!"

3. "She's gonna blow!"

2. "I think you'll fit in nicely."

1. "Rise, my friend."

I beg to differ.

"Just me, the boy, the two droids...and NO QUESTIONS"

;)

Reminds me of the Family Guy episode: Blue Harvest.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Herbert)
: Hi. My sexy friend and I are looking for a ship to take us to Alderaan, and I'm willing to pay big money.

Han Solo (Peter)
: Well, you've come to the right place. I'm Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon and the only actor whose career isn't destroyed by this movie.

Link to more Quotes.

Edge City 3D continues. As Barbara vdB put it "Don't worry, he's got more than enough quotes to make us all look bad"

Trawler's Player
: "This doesn't make sense - I wish I could read my own handwriting. Apparently I have an international passport for a roll-up cyborg."

Confirming that this world's Imperial Russia were first into space -

Zero
: So, did Fabergé do the Sputnik shell?

Weldun, GM
: No - well there
is
the Fabergé Sputnik, but that's a scale model.

The smaller US of this world has a 40-star flag.

Zero
: It's not like it's the Texan flag - the 'Easy-Read' version of the 'Stars & Stripes'.

Weldun, GM
: It always brings Texans down to earth when you point out Western Australia has cattle stations larger than their state

Miss Chaos
: The Texan metahuman interview - "Can you find oil?" "No" "Can you find cattle?" "No" "Can you move out of the state?"

Weldun, GM
: Republic of Texas & California Office of Superhuman & Paranormal Affairs - ROSPA. Sounds like Scooby Doo saying DOSPA

The Confederate version is the Confederate Organisation for Superhuman Integration & Neutralization

Weldun, GM
: Keep in mind that's the modern, soft & fuzzy 'neutralize'. It only
used
to be 'Integrate or Die'

Weldun, GM
: Deseret doesn't have a superhuman department - after all, it's one state, with only a handful of supers.

Zero
: "Let me guess - one of them is called Straight Arrow?"

Weldun, GM
: "no, Orgasmo. 'I'm a bad, bad Mormon'"

Zero
: "So... No Ku Klux Klan?"

Terminus
: "Why would there be? No Reconstruction."

Trawler
: "So,
Birth of a Nation
was never made

Weldun and others
: Yay!!!
:celebrate

Zero
: More importantly, did
Intolerance
make a profit?

Trawler
: I'm optimistic

Terminus
: Since when has that helped?

Trawler
: Since I was dropped on my head from 10,000 feet

For reasons of public sanity, I forbear from including the conversation about circumsizing solar Avatars, and the link between sunspots and coronal mass ejections. :help:

Miss Chaos' player
:
*consulting rule book*
How do I do
Laxative : Always On
as a ranged attack?

We get involved in a nuclear heist by the local villain teams of SMASH, & GRAB - 10 various bricks, power suits, teleporters, speedsters and gadgeteers including Ankylosaur, Swift, Killer Shrike ( © Marvel ) and others ( it later turned out they had been hired as 'Deniable Assets' by unknown individuals in the Mormon nation of Deseret ).

Ankylosaur gets one-punched into unconciousness by our first shot.

Zero
: Guess I have a new mental command for Chesire Cat - Panic.
:D

Miss Chaos
: Doing a good impression of a fossil, isn't he? Ankylosaur, buried in hill.

Avatar fries the hillside four of the others are on.

Weldun, GM
: "There's a flash, like a bomb-pumped laser without the bomb"

Stentorian
: "He
is
Da Bomb"
:D

Trawler bemoans the lack of improvised weapons

Weldun, GM
:
Please don't use the thermonuclear weapons as clubs

Things go badly for the bad guys, especially with Stentorian's girlfriend doing one head-shot after another. Chesire Cat goes down

Weldun,GM
: Well, at least it removes one possible complication "gee, better salvage something from this situation - I wonder why those new supers are carrying a suitcase [our Dimensional teleporter device]? YOINK!"

Terminus
: But then the complication would be 'how fast can he run?'

Chesire Cat
: Why are they all shooting at me??? This
must
be valuable!"

Slick is irradiated by Avatar

Zero
: He
was
trying to steal a nuclear missile - the Cosmos has apportioned karma

Miss Chaos
: I've just figured out why Terminus always sends me to get Trawler last - it gives him four seconds to shoot as many people as possible without the two people with police powers there.

Terminus
: We're in hot pursuit of some villains from our dimension, but missed slightly

RoT&C officer
: Now there's a concept

Stentorian
: There's an Albuquerque everywhere

Me
: Bet you weren't expecting us to take down all those bad guys in 4 seconds.

Weldun, GM
: Ankylosaur didn't even see what hit him! One moment he was "Get those missiles" , the next it was "Wha... Where am I?... Why am I wearing handcuffs?"

For the evening, Council Of Shadows, we have the one character book and the viral base syndrome.

character + 4 alternate forms + 16 followers + dnpcs + vehicles + contacts .

Free base + 5 pts for 1 for Marshall + 5 pts for 2 for nightwalker + 5pts for more bases for Marshall + 5 pts for cave (later cave system ) for Li Lung (baby dragon) + 5pts for Crowd God's dimension.

Marshall- aeroplane hangar + work space

Nightwalker - seceret hideout + really secret hideout

Li Lung( not her actual name, misunderstanding between lack of english & lack of mandarin during DOSPA interview) - play area + 6 areas of library.

The Stranger- his own dimension