Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From last night's S-Squad Champions game:

Sentinel (in secret ID) and her family have moved into their new home. During the move-in, a dog walks into their place like he owns it. Note that Sentinel's husband knows about her powers, but her daughter doesn't. Also note that my players are just a teeny bit paranoid...

Subliminal: Have you x-rayed the dog yet?

Sentinel: What for?

Subliminal: Worms... or maybe it's not really a dog...

(As background, in our area we get radio and TV commercials for Beaumont Hospital, with the overused tagline "Don't you wish you had a Beaumont doctor?")

So, the heroes are investigating a series of beating deaths and they learn of an attack the night before, but this time the victim survived and is in a coma. Sentinel (radiation-using healing heroine) goes to the hospital to offer her services, but the victim's father is very anti-supers. So she's trying to sell him on the idea, talking about how she can heal the girl's wounds.

Subliminal: Don't you wish you had a Beaumont hero?

Subliminal establishes telepathic contact with the victim, and I set the scene in her memory where the attack took place (influenced by the victim's rather strong feelings about it). He finds himself standing in a parking lot, very dark and spooky, with the girl lying near her car, badly beaten and curled up in a fetal position. The attacker, shadowy and indistinct, is running away. And then a new figure appears:

Alpha: Ah, Subliminal, I presume! I'm sorry this is not an interactive construct, but I did not wish to put that much of myself into it. More's the pity. Anyway, allow me to introduce myself. I am Alpha, the leader of an organization known as PSI...

Subliminal (to GM): I hate you.

The father finally agrees to allow Sentinel to heal his daughter, after the heroine said she would do it without anyone else knowing. The players are discussing potential complications, like a nurse seeing Sentinel use her Healing power.

Synergy (imitating Sentinel): I'm going to have to wipe your memory.

Synergy (imitating a nurse): But you don't have that power.

Synergy (imitating Sentinel): Well, then I'm going to have to boil your brain.

After deciding to accept Alpha's invitation to meet in exchange for the name and location of the killer, Subliminal asks Serendipity and Styx to set up a "safe location" for him to teleport to.

Subliminal: ... If you can take me someplace, I can memorize it so I can teleport there. But I don't want to know where it is address-wise, since they could maybe read my mind.

Serendipity: Well, we could blindfold you and take you there.

Subliminal: No good. I have Eidetic Memory and Bump of Direction. I'll be able to figure out where it is. You have to take me there after knocking me out first...

Styx: (raises hand eagerly, then mimes hitting his left palm with a billy club held in his right) :D

Subliminal (pointedly ignoring Styx and talking to Serendipity, who has Ego Attack): You need to knock me out first...

During the meeting, Sublminal establishes a telepathic link to Alpha while remaining invisible to sight, hearing, and mental groups, while standing behind an Image which affects sight, hearing, touch, and mental. The leader of PSI tries to recruit Subliminal into his group.

Subliminal: But I'm not sure how you'll help people. I mean, you do call them "mundanes"...

Alpha: We are clearly their superiors. Of course, we have noblesse oblige...

Subliminal: You say that like you're noble, but I'm not really seeing much evidence of that.

Alpha honors his promise and tells Subliminal where he can find the killer, who is waiting in a parking structure to kill a doctor. Subliminal passes the info, including both the killer's and the doctor's names, to Sentinel. She finds the doctor first, but he's kind of freaked out and not sure whether he can trust her. She's practically dragging him to "somewhere safe" when she sees the killer with her x-ray vision, and he's running away.

Sentinel: You'll need to go to DPS by yourself, I have to go stop the killer (points in the killer's direction) before he gets away.

Dr. Pandya: But... that's a concrete wall... :confused:

The killer finally captured, Serendipity (in secret ID) decides to take a long-delayed vacation to Ireland with her boyfriend, millionaire Aidan Beck. She's been thinking of sharing her IRA past with him, as well as the fact that she's a superheroine. But first she hires a PI friend to look into Aidan's past.

Serendipity: ... after all, I don't want to reveal my identity to him, then find out he's the Godfather, or Grandfather, or whatever, of VIPER...

The PI, Nick Barr, digs up some questionable stuff, but on further investigation most of it turns out to be reasonably explained. But she's still hesitant...

Nick: You still seem upset. What part of his past still has you worried?

Serendipity: These questionable business deals...

Nick: This is Chicago. I don't think you can operate here without scraping against some bottom feeders. For Chicago, this guy's practically a saint.

Enroute to Ireland in a chartered jet and in her secret ID as Samantha Callaghan, she first reveals to Aidan that she used to be in the IRA, then decided to get out and try to make amends. With UNTIL's help, she faked her death, took on a new name, and moved to the US. She notices that Aidan does not seem freaked out or surprised by this revelation, and asks him why.

Aidan: Well, remember when your former fiance Colin, was in Chicago? I got worried, and hired a PI to look into him...

After his explanation that he already either discovered or surmised most of what she had just told him...

Aidan: ... so I'm sorry if my investigating your past upsets you...

Serendipity: (hiding Nick's report on Aidan) Oh, no, I'm not upset...

While Serendipity is in Ireland, Styx (who works at Serendipity's authentic Irish-style pub, "Callaghan's", as a bouncer) decides to make a few temporary changes while the boss is out of town.

Styx: First, we're having a "St. Patty's Day in August" night. Green beer at half price, and we'll serve it in square mugs so they get more for the money. Completely redecorate the bar. I'll snap a pic and send it to her cell phone. The caption says "BEFORE".

GM: That might be enough to get Shamrock to stop in for a few.

(Background: In a prior campaign, Serendipity's player had a different character who had a thing for bad boys and dated Shamrock)

After Serendipity accidentally refers to Shamrock's namesake image, worn on his chest, as having three leafs:

Styx: What does she know? She's never seen him with his clothes on.

A few nights later, the new theme at Callaghan's is...

Styx: ... toga night! We'll put up ads: "Little known fact: togas were invented in Ireland." Have a picture of a leprechaun wearing a toga, holding a beer, winking and giving a thumbs up... I'll send a picture of that to her cell phone too.

Serendipity: (in Ireland, looking at her cell phone while Aidan is driving) Grrrr....

Aidan: What's wrong?

Serendipity: It's one of my bouncers. I'm gonna kill him... again!

Aidan: Again?!

Serendipity: Well, *I* didn't really kill him the first time... Oh, never mind.

A few nights later, Serendipity calls to talk to Amber, the 8 year-old girl Serendipity and Styx have somewhat co-adopted. Amber lives with Serendipity in an apartment above Callaghan's.

Amber: I'm sorry, I can't hear you too well. It's really loud downstairs.

Serendipity: What's going on?

Amber: I'm not sure. (pause) What's a "wet t-shirt contest"?

Metrion: Ive written a "Mood Chart":

MOOD TABLE (Roll d20 for the mood of people, animals, furniture, etc. encountered)

1.....Spunky

2.....Angsty

3.....Disaffected

4.....Hot

5.....Palpatating

6.....Suave

7.....Hungry

8.....Sinful

9.....Balding

10...Half-Celestial

11...Threatened

12...Coy

13...Sean Connery

14...Celebratory

15...Nauseated

16...Neurasthenic

17...Garrulous

18...Locquacious

19...Redundant

20...Re-roll twice

Dude. I do *not* want to be around a balding, nauseated, sinful, half-celestial ottoman....

Or to know *what* the party that resulted in its spawning looked like.

I was just reminded of an old quote. In character. (by me)

Character: Mordain, dwarven Paladin of Moradin Soulforger (love that name!) A bit naive about the above world; spent all his life before adventuring underground in halls of stone. On his way to a swamp, he learned about quicksand. He was furious. "What? Dirt betraying it's existence by acting like water? Blasphemy!" At that point he carried a large rock around and dumped it on any suspicious ground. He finally found some, and the rock sank like, well, a rock. At first he was angry, then a bit taken back. Then .... he began to smirk, held his helmet over his heart and said: "Let us have a moment of silence for this brave rock. Without thought for itself, it gave it's life saving others and dying by a horrible death. Drowning. Who can claim such courage? I hope to live up to the rock's example. It's sacrifice will be engraved in letters of gold, and its deed will be sung in mead halls forever. Hail the rock. Hail!"

I have no idea where that came from. The players were laughing themselves sick. As were the PC's. Glad I wrote it down.

I was just reminded of an old quote. In character. (by me)

Character: Mordain, dwarven Paladin of Moradin Soulforger (love that name!) A bit naive about the above world; spent all his life before adventuring underground in halls of stone. On his way to a swamp, he learned about quicksand. He was furious. "What? Dirt betraying it's existence by acting like water? Blasphemy!" At that point he carried a large rock around and dumped it on any suspicious ground. He finally found some, and the rock sank like, well, a rock. At first he was angry, then a bit taken back. Then .... he began to smirk, held his helmet over his heart and said: "Let us have a moment of silence for this brave rock. Without thought for itself, it gave it's life saving others and dying by a horrible death. Drowning. Who can claim such courage? I hope to live up to the rock's example. It's sacrifice will be engraved in letters of gold, and its deed will be sung in mead halls forever. Hail the rock. Hail!"

I have no idea where that came from. The players were laughing themselves sick. As were the PC's. Glad I wrote it down.

I like it :thumbup:, but.....

An underground-adventuring dwarf without a 10' pole?!? :eek::confused:

Or didn't he figure out poles work on dirt? :think:

Basil would use a loaded Bacandforthtrian, instead. The Bacandforthtrian is loaded because it's celebrating the reversibility of the date 9/01/09, and forgot to decide which end was supposed to drink and which end not. The supersonic telepathic mechanical penguins with laser eyes did rather egg it on, too.

The S.T.M.P.w/L.E.'s, the Bacandforthtrian, but not today's date, are products of Basil's Twisted Imagination, Lqf. Patience pent-up.

Basil would use a loaded Bacandforth, instead. The Bacandforth is loaded because it's celebrating the reversibility of the date 9/01/09, and forgot to decide which end was supposed to drink and which end not. The supersonic telepathic mechanical penguins with laser eyes did rather egg it on, too.

The S.T.M.P.w/L.E.'s, the Bacandforth, but not today's date, are products of Basil's Twisted Imagination, Lqf. Patience pent-up.

Maybe it's just late, maybe I'm tired, or maybe I'm just thick, but...

"Whaaa?"

Did I miss something?

Maybe it's just late, maybe I'm tired, or maybe I'm just thick, but...

"Whaaa?"

Did I miss something?

I'm just having fun with the fact the date is a palindrome. If you haven't heard about the Bacandforth, the supersonic telepathic mechanical penguins with laser eyes, etc., don't sweat it. Just random silliness. :D

I'm just having fun with the fact the date is a palindrome. If you haven't heard about the Bac[/color]andforth' date=' the supersonic telepathic mechanical penguins with laser eyes, etc., don't sweat it. Just random silliness. :D[/quote']

Whenever I run across a bit of nonsense like this, I just nod my head sagely and say 'Fnord'. It's gotten me through many a state of the union address.

During my Serenity campaign...

Michaela: "Your FACE makes me laugh... ha... ha ha... hahaha."

We had just rescued our Captain and she woke from a coma to see three new crew members (Tyler, Vincent, and Radley) and started screaming.

Radley: "So far, I'm not impressed with the captain."

The PCs are in a big fight, with Harry (a mage) and his friend Maiden (a not so agility Brick) fighting a very fast Harker (martial artist).

Harry fires a blinding bolt at Harker, and then Maiden flies at Harker from behind, trying to do a shoulder attack/move through.

Harker though, has blind-fighting and does a martial throw, throwing Maiden into Harry!

Both of the PCs go crashing through the window and slam into the building next door...

Maiden was flying very fast and is very strong... I guessed about 15d would be ok (I had 15d in front of me :) )

The dice are rolled and come up... 20 points of damage!

Harry isn't even bruised! (thanks to his force field and armored trenchcoat)

Harry blinks, pushes Maiden off, and turns around to look at the Harry-shaped impression in the brick wall.

Harry (pats trenchcoat): Now that's fine tailoring...

-SC

One more quick one :) :

Harry, Red, Maiden and Dreamy (the PCs) have finally subdued Harker, and have her tied up in the room next door. They are discussing what to do with her.

Harry: Right, so at least she's still unconcious.

Red: For perhaps the next few minutes. She heals fast.

Harry: Right... Dreamy, what are the chances you can you know (makes wavey motions next to his head).

Dreamy: Harry, like I told you before, those changes aren't permanent. She'll remember eventually and anyway... it's just... wrong.

Harry (sighs): Right, right...

Maiden: Umm, did we just leave her in a locked room with Infernis? (Harry's demon girlfriend)

Everyone is about to stand up at this, when as if on cue, Sgt Superior (Harry's military-type rival) walks in through the hole Harry "made" earlier.

Sgt: Browncoat! Have you seen my daughter? She said she was coming this...

Muffled screams are heard from Harker's room.

Before anyone can act, the Sgt runs over, fearing the worst, and opens the door to see...

Infernis shapeshifted into a sexy looking woman wearing leather and carrying a whip. Harker is tied to a chair, gagged, bound and has her shirt torn off.

Infernis: Oh, Harry? She has another five minutes in the happy chair, now wait your turn...

The Sgt closes the door and looks at Harry.

Harry winces, expected to be pummeled as the other PCs wisely move away from him.

But, the Sgt walks over with a grim face and puts a hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Get help son. Just... Just get help."

He walks out the door.

Red (extra snarky): Now that's both dissatisfying... and disturbing.

Harry, Red, Maiden and Dreamy (the PCs) have finally subdued Harker, and have her tied up in the room next door. They are discussing what to do with her.

Harry: Right... Dreamy, what are the chances you can you know (makes wavey motions next to his head).

Dreamy: Harry, like I told you before, those changes aren't permanent. She'll remember eventually and anyway... it's just... wrong.

Maiden: Umm, did we just leave her in a locked room with Infernis? (Harry's demon girlfriend)

Everyone is about to stand up at this, when as if on cue, Sgt Superior (Harry's military-type rival) walks in through the hole Harry "made" earlier.

Before anyone can act, the Sgt runs over, fearing the worst, and opens the door to see...

Infernis shapeshifted into a sexy looking woman wearing leather and carrying a whip. Harker is tied to a chair, gagged, bound and has her shirt torn off.

Infernis: Oh, Harry? She has another five minutes in the happy chair, now wait your turn...

Harry winces, expected to be pummeled as the other PCs wisely move away from him.

He walks out the door.

*Sigh*. Another Polaroid moment.

He walks out the door.

Must spread rep, etc... etc... someone get this one for me?

He walks out the door.

:rofl :eg

And so very repped

One more quick one :)...

The Sgt closes the door and looks at Harry. Harry winces, expected to be pummeled as the other PCs wisely move away from him. But, the Sgt walks over with a grim face and puts a hand on Harry's shoulder.

He walks out the door.

Sgt. Superior is your NPC, isn't he, SimmComm? Bravo! Beautifully done. REPPED! And please pass some "virtual Rep" on to Red, for that lovely last comment.

This one's not a game quote, but it's just too good not to be shared.

A young friend was walking to work, carrying his morning can of Monster. A guy standing outside on his smoking break calls out to him, "Y'know, those things'll kill you!"

The young man looks at his can, looks at the cancer-stick in the guy's hand and calls back, "I'll race ya to the finish line!" :D

My Brother: "What would happen if you cast Stone to Flesh on a rock golem?"

Me: "...It would become a flesh golem."

Sorry, that's been a 'duh' for us since '79.