Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Ive always wondered....what does that song mean??

Little skylark, lovely little skylark

Little lark, I'll pluck your feathers off

I’ll pluck the feathers off your head (I’ll pluck the feathers off your head)

Off your head (off your head)

Little lark (little lark)

Oh oh oh oh

Further verses involve ...ahem... "plucking" the feathers off of her beak, neck, wings, back, legs, and finally the tail (aw yeah). Apparently, skylarks are very pluckable. :thumbup:

"Alouette, gentille Alouette.

Alouette, je te plumerai..."

Ive always wondered....what does that song mean??

Essentially, "bird, bird, pretty bird, I'm going to pull off all your feathers" (as in preparation for cooking) and then lists all the parts of the bird that are going to lose feathers. I've seen it pop up as a "learn the body parts" song for that reason.

Little skylark, lovely little skylark

Little lark, I'll pluck your feathers off

I’ll pluck the feathers off your head (I’ll pluck the feathers off your head)

Off your head (off your head)

Little lark (little lark)

Oh oh oh oh

Further verses involve ...ahem... "plucking" the feathers off of her beak, neck, wings, back, legs, and finally the tail (aw yeah). Apparently, skylarks are very pluckable. :thumbup:

:lol:

Now I have the mental image of a rival bard mocking Xasha with the song, just before being pummeled to a pulp by her and her confederates. :D

And I'm not even in the game... :doi:

Our investigation into a new criminal group operating in the city turns up a group of Norse Vampires.

We alert the local authorities and the federal agencies to be on the lookout for pale skinned scandinavian albino types.

We speculate that a lynch (stake) mob may hunt down the Vampires for a large enough reward.

The group stops an chuckles... One of the semi retired PC's closely matches this description.

That PC is currently the GM and disconcerted about the possibilty of burning down his own house and dealing with a mob intent on staking him out.

Insert Evil Grin

QM

sorry' date=' my wife just got home from house-sitting. Clearly her Smut Field is affecting the forums[/quote']

It just goes to show that there are some things that transcend distance

and international borders...for which fact some of us are very grateful.

Major Tom 2009 :D

This Halloween had only a little horror in it. I was running my Rifts Tarnow/Russia Game, and the characters were attacked by Bandits. After the Psi-Taur was killed by a phenomenally bad series of die rolls, the Gypsy Beguiler panicked, and fired the missile launcher on top of the group's brand new bulldog into the midst of the firing villains. Eight missiles in a randomly determined volley fell down, raining plasma on them and the Malvorran who was caught in the blast. Now, I do Megadamage at x10, so that SDC characters have a chance to survive and it's worth it to play humans. Humans also get great stats. The PC's are heroes, after all. When the smoke cleared, the bandits were dead, and the Malvorran's armor had been blown off. He had 31 HP remaining, all his SDC was gone. Now, a Malvorran has no skin. He only has constantly undulating and flexing muscle tissue...

However...none of the PC's had seen him outside of his armor before. So the closest PC, a Mystic Kuznya, rolls his horror factor save and FAILS it. "Aaaaa! All his skin got burned off!"

Malvorran: No...really! It's just me! I swear!

From last night's Champions game:

The Earth/Kaldaren war continues, with a dozen alien fighters enroute to attack the International Space Station. Subliminal and Sentinel multi-hop teleport (100 km at a shot) up to the ISS on a rescue mission, while Serendipity, Styx, and Synergy fly their captured starship to engage the fighters.

On the ISS, Sentinel "bubbles" (Force Field + LS) three of the astronauts and Subliminal teleports them, plus him and Sentinel, outside the ISS to begin their trip down to Earth. Sentinel notices one of rescuees (whom she recognizes as Dr. Stayner, a prominent biochemist with the CDC) holding his breath.

Sentinel: Relax. Breathe. I don't want you to pass out.

Dr. Stayner: :eek: Sorry, but when I've been outside the station, it's been in a space suit. :eek:

Meanwhile, on the captured starship:

Synergy: Who knows how to pilot this ship?

Serendipity (OOC): I have Combat Piloting.

Synergy: Yeah, but do you know how to fly this ship?

Serendipity: .... no. :(

Synergy: Don't we know any PRIMUS jump jet pilots?

Styx: Yeah, there's that Earnhart guy.

Synergy: I thought he was a driver.

GM: When you first met him, he had been bumped down to driving after having a fender bender. He never did say how one can have a "fender bender" in a mach-speed jet...

For a pilot, they "borrow" a PRIMUS tech who has been studying the ship.

GM: He pushes a few buttons...

Subliminal: ... and the windshield wipers turn on. :eg:

The heroes are using the weapon turrets, with which they aren't familiar either.

Serendipity: You know who should be here? That "Mac" guy from the PRIMUS assault team. He can use any weapon, can't he?

GM: Yeah, but he'd be too busy rewiring the turret.

Synergy: We'd be asking, "Why did the warp engine just power up?" and he'd be, like, "I just needed a little more power. Don't worry, as long as I fire in the next ten seconds, we shouldn't blow up."

After rescuing the six people from the ISS before it was shot up, Sentinel offers to return to the ISS to help fix things up.

GM: You're told, "Thanks for the offer, but you are not to go back on the ISS for your own safety."

Sentinel: I just wanted to help...

Afterward, S-Squad hears the news reports touting their heroics, including rescuing *four* astronauts from the ISS.

Sentinel: But we rescued six people! Who were the other two?

GM: Who what that guy you saved that you recognized?

Sentinel: Dr. Stayner?

GM: Yeah. He wasn't listed as one of the people you rescued.

Subliminal: Wait ... it would be damn near impossible to get someone onto the ISS without it being known publicly.

GM: Yeah, it would, wouldn't it? :eg:

Sentinel: So what was he doing there?

GM: (shrug) What is he, again?

Sentinel: A biochemist.

GM: From the CDC. The Center for Disease Control.

Sentinel: ... ah. That's why they didn't want me going back there.

A few days later, back in Chicago, someone beat four people to death with a length of rebar, leaving the weapon along with a calling card at each crime scene noting an alleged crime (murderer, thief, etc.) and signed "Styx" (the name of one of the PC heroes). The text on each card is in Greek, so we got the obligatory "It's all Greek to me" jokes done early. The detective is questioning Styx.

Styx: In all honesty, if I wanted to beat someone's head in... (bends rebar easily with his bare hands) ... I wouldn't need *this*.

Det. Carrillo: (shrugs) Looks to me like someone is doing a piss-poor job of trying to frame you.

Styx: Did you want to put me in a cell overnight?

Det. Carrillo: I don't think that's necessary.

Subliminal (OOC): He only leaps. He's not much of a flight risk.

The detective and heroes are at the company that printed the calling cards, and learn that the purchaser provided a CD-ROM containing the card text.

Subliminal: It's from a Windows machine, so we know they're definitely evil.

More later.

Bench transformers

Chessex, the pathetic Autobot whose alternate form is a diesel locomotive,

finally had his moment in the spotlight.

The PC party was trapped in by police and traffic jams,

so the usual "transform and roll out" escape method would not work.

But there was a rail line just 2 blocks away, and the group decide to

have Chessex steal a rail car, they all jump in the box, and they vamoose

as a group.

So here's Chessex in his robot form, leading the party along,

dragging a dead Decepticon behind him, yelling

I GET TO BE A TRAIN, I GET TO BE A TRAIN!

Re: Bench transformers

...So here's Chessex in his robot form, leading the party along,.... yelling

I GET TO BE A TRAIN, I GET TO BE A TRAIN!

Thats....oddly cute for an Autobot. :)

And now, some more Embria quotes. To recap:

Rhiannon: Half Elf Fighter 5/Rogue 1 "Commando" (Hayden Panetierre)

Varga: Barbarian 6 (Phoenix from American Gladiators)

Chyra: Undead-aspected Sorcerer 5 (Skye Sweetnam)

Metreon: Wizard 6 (young Ian McKellan)

Leigh Reighborn: Priest 6 of Pelor (Christian Bale)

Tash: Half Orc Ranger 6 (Rosario Dawson)

------------------------------

Rhiannon (OOC): My mommy's Lawful Good. Her house looks like a gingerbread house. Only Lawful Good people live in houses like that. :)

Chyra (OOC): Or witches. :sneaky:

Rhiannon (OOC): Of course YOU'D say that :P

------------------------

Metreon (OOC): You can tell that Gandalf has "Sense Motive" from the way he moves his eyebrows

----------------

Varga: My little sister wants to join us.

Chyra: Theres a test.

Everyone: *Looks at Chyra in puzzlement*

Chyra: *Casts SLEEP*

Varga's sister: *Does not have more than 4 hit dice* zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chyra: :D

Rhiannon (OOC): You must be "this many" hit dice to go on this ride :)

-------------

GM: Out on the muddy field are about two dozen militia men, running at each other and hitting themselves with wooden swords.

Rhiannon (OOC): Hitting themselves? Well, theres your problem, right there.

------------

The Rain: *Pours down*

Metrion: *grumbling* Lovely weather we're having.

Varga: You're a Wizard. Fix it!

----------

Rhiannon: *Notices that Chyra is not wearing a cloak in the heavy rain, and looks like a drowned rat.*

Rhiannon: Arent you cold?!

Chyra: No. *Puts her hand on the bare skin of the small of Rhiannon's back up under her cuirass*

Rhiannon: *Squeaks!* YES YOU ARE TOO!

Chyra: :sneaky:

------------------

GM: Whats your initiative roll?

Metreon (OOC): ....My initiative cannot be expressed in mere numbers.

---------------

The group learns that the Evil High Priest leading the bandits is named "Falc".

Undead Dwarf: Enough! I shall run away and leave you to deal with FALC! *Runs away*

Varga: *Stays right with him and smacks him upside the head*

Rhiannon: Funny...I dont feel Falc'ed. Do you?

--------------

Metreon (OOC): A Wand of Light?!? A wand of an at-will spell? This is a totally ridiculous magic item. I think we should give all of our cr*p items to that 1st Level Bard back in Brookhollow

GM: (as Bard) "This is bull***t, man!" :(

Metreon: "Youre a BARD! You brought this on yourself! Now run and learn a level of a REAL spellcasting Class!" :cool:

-----------------

Metreon (OOC): I summon a Giant Fiendish Dire Ape! .....I just LOVE saying that! :D

Giant Fiendish Dire Ape: *Wins initiative and hits with all three attacks, for maxmium damage on each!*

Varga (OOC): *sings to the 30s tune "We're in the money"* You're in the monkey....You're in the monkey....

-----------------

GM: *Looks at carnage wrought by the summoned beast* Giant...Fiendish....Dire....Ape :nonp:

Metreon (OOC): *Twists his own nipples like radio dials thru his t-shirt, and looks orgasmically happy*

----------------

The party confronts Falc, an Evil High Priest of Orcus (a major Demon focused on Undeath).

Falc the Evil Priest: Leave now, or this crypt will be YOUR tomb! Your Gods cannot save you here! Orcus reigns supreme!

Battle ensues. Metreon casts "haste" on the -entire- party. Varga and Rhiannon streak past the Priest's undead minions and bone-dogs to surround the Priest and start hammering on him. Leigh invokes the power of Pelor, God of the Sun, and destroys most of the skeletals on the ground level. Chyra dominates more (the skeletal bowmen) and turns them to our side. Tash dispatches the skeletal bowmen that Chyra didnt take control of. Metreon then dispells the Priests attempt to cast damaging magics. Varga and Rhi hammer on him mercilessly, despite his Stoneskin spell.

Evil High Priest: *Casts "Gaseous Form" and tries to flee*

Metreon: *Casts "Gust of Wind"*

Evil High Priest: *Is pinned against the back wall, helpless*

Chyra: *Dispels the Stoneskin*

Metreon: *Dispels the Gaseous Form*

Leigh: *Disrupts the remaining zombies and skeletons*

Varga and Rhiannon: *Both roll Critical Hits and confirm them!*

Evil High Preist: *Is cut into THREE SEPARATE PIECES*

Evil High Priest's Head: *Rolls down the steps to stop at Metreon's feet*

Rhiannon and Varga: *Chest-bump against each other*

Metreon: HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW! Corellon isnt just a snappy dresser, b*tch! GOD OF MAGIC!

Rhiannon: Boo-yah! ;P

Re: Bench transformers

GM: Whats your initiative roll?

Metreon (OOC): ....My initiative cannot be expressed in mere numbers.

One of my friends plays a kobold rogue like that. The running joke is that he has a feat called, "I go first." (At level 12, he has a +17 initiative bonus, IIRC.)

Sorry, ran out of time yesterday. Here's more from Sunday's Champions game:

The heroes discover security video footage of a suspect in the Calling Card Killings, in a hospital where one killing took place. He used smoke to hide himself, but they do catch a glimpse of him wearing scrubs. They also notice his forearms are overly large.

Sentinel: Like Popeye?

GM: Actually, yes, very much like Popeye.

Sentinel: Okay, then I'll search for a supervillain with high strength, who uses smoke bombs, and has Popeye arms.

Subliminal: I don't think you're going to get many hits on "Popeye arms".

(Note: He's wrong. I got 436,000 hits.)

Meanwhile, Serendipity (who owns a bar in her secret ID) decides to host an open party on Halloween. The theme: superheroes and supervillains.

GM (unrolling a hex map of her bar): Could she *make* it any easier for me? I mean, she just pitches it underhand, right over the plate...

Styx: That's not pitching. That's T-ball. It's just sitting there on the post, waiting for you to hit it.

Sentinel's ambulance partner Charlie talks to her about the coming party:

Charlie: You and Frank (Sentinel's husband) should come to the party at Callaghans! You could dress up as :love: Candy Striper :love: and Adonis!

Sentinel (who despises CS): NO. I DON'T THINK SO.

Speaking of CS, on the night of the party a group of girls show up at the bar, costumed as some of Adonis' girls: Mouser, Djinnie, Kyu-To, Candy Striper, and Whiplash.

Sentinel: So, is that really Candy Striper?

GM: The costume looks the same, but you've met her before, and you know she's not an oriental girl.

Sentinel: Wait a minute... So, what does the girl in Kyu-To's costume look like?

GM: That woman looks a lot like Candy Striper... :eg:

[Yes, they just exchanged costumes among themselves. And props to Hermit for creating a very fun group, and I think to E84 for creating Candy Striper.]

Sentinel: I really should tell Charlie that Candy Stiper's really here. But I won't.

At about this time, the heroes get an alert that all of the Calling Card Killer victims have gotten up from their spots in the morgue and are now converging on a location across town.

Synergy (calling the hero team's base): Have someone get me the fire extinguisher from my room. And call Father Flannagan -- he may need to bless a few more for me. [Yes, he has a "holy fire extinguisher" left over from a past battle against some demons. Don't ask. Trust me, you don't really want to know.]

Subliminal: The hot chicks finally show up, and we're taking off to fight zombies?! There's something seriously wrong with us.

After taking out the zombies, the heroes head to the location the zombies were converging upon. Sentinel uses her x-ray vision to look inside a building:

GM (placing various supervillain figures on the hexmap of a warehouse): You see Nightmare, Nightblade, Harvester, Electrocutioner, Hangman...

Sentinel: Aren't those last two with Ravager's crew?

GM (placing normal people figures on the hexmap, including a few bloody bodies): Yep. And you also see a bunch of normal people too, some standing or kneeling, some lying on the ground, possibly dead. This guy (puts one figure on a die near Hangman) is hanging from the rafters, his feet still kicking. Yeah, they've been having fun while they were waiting for you to show up.

Sentinel: Fun?!

GM: Well, fun for them. Different strokes for different folks.

Sorry, ran out of time yesterday. Here's more from Sunday's Champions game:

The heroes discover security video footage of a suspect in the Calling Card Killings, in a hospital where one killing took place. He used smoke to hide himself, but they do catch a glimpse of him wearing scrubs. They also notice his forearms are overly large.

Sentinel: Like Popeye?

GM: Actually, yes, very much like Popeye.

Sentinel: Okay, then I'll search for a supervillain with high strength, who uses smoke bombs, and has Popeye arms.

Subliminal: I don't think you're going to get many hits on "Popeye arms".

(Note: He's wrong. I got 436,000 hits.)

Meanwhile, Serendipity (who owns a bar in her secret ID) decides to host an open party on Halloween. The theme: superheroes and supervillains.

GM (unrolling a hex map of her bar): Could she *make* it any easier for me? I mean, she just pitches it underhand, right over the plate...

Styx: That's not pitching. That's T-ball. It's just sitting there on the post, waiting for you to hit it.

Sentinel's ambulance partner Charlie talks to her about the coming party:

Charlie: You and Frank (Sentinel's husband) should come to the party at Callaghans! You could dress up as :love: Candy Striper :love: and Adonis!

Sentinel (who despises CS): NO. I DON'T THINK SO.

Speaking of CS, on the night of the party a group of girls show up at the bar, costumed as some of Adonis' girls: Mouser, Djinnie, Kyu-To, Candy Striper, and Whiplash.

Sentinel: So, is that really Candy Striper?

GM: The costume looks the same, but you've met her before, and you know she's not an oriental girl.

Sentinel: Wait a minute... So, what does the girl in Kyu-To's costume look like?

GM: That woman looks a lot like Candy Striper... :eg:

[Yes, they just exchanged costumes among themselves. And props to Hermit for creating a very fun group, and I think to E84 for creating Candy Striper.]

Sentinel: I really should tell Charlie that Candy Stiper's really here. But I won't.

At about this time, the heroes get an alert that all of the Calling Card Killer victims have gotten up from their spots in the morgue and are now converging on a location across town.

Synergy (calling the hero team's base): Have someone get me the fire extinguisher from my room. And call Father Flannagan -- he may need to bless a few more for me. [Yes, he has a "holy fire extinguisher" left over from a past battle against some demons. Don't ask. Trust me, you don't really want to know.]

Subliminal: The hot chicks finally show up, and we're taking off to fight zombies?! There's something seriously wrong with us.

After taking out the zombies, the heroes head to the location the zombies were converging upon. Sentinel uses her x-ray vision to look inside a building:

GM (placing various supervillain figures on the hexmap of a warehouse): You see Nightmare, Nightblade, Harvester, Electrocutioner, Hangman...

Sentinel: Aren't those last two with Ravager's crew?

GM (placing normal people figures on the hexmap, including a few bloody bodies): Yep. And you also see a bunch of normal people too, some standing or kneeling, some lying on the ground, possibly dead. This guy (puts one figure on a die near Hangman) is hanging from the rafters, his feet still kicking. Yeah, they've been having fun while they were waiting for you to show up.

Sentinel: Fun?!

GM: Well, fun for them. Different strokes for different folks.

Nightmare, Nightblade, Harvester, Electrocutioner, and Hangman. :eek: I wouldn't want to go near them on Halloween, even with superpowers...

Oh, and Candy Striper is pretty benign (CvK, PsyLim:soft hearted), why does Sentinel despise her so?

I hope more quotes are coming? :)

Oh' date=' and Candy Striper is pretty benign (CvK, PsyLim:soft hearted), why does Sentinel despise her so?[/quote']

I think it's a player thing. Something about CS really rubbed the player wrong. But as a GM, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

Charlie used to have a crush on Sentinel, so he would often gush about her to his ambulance driving partner Caren (Sentinel's secret ID, though Charlie doesn't know that). Caren/Sentinel has never exhibited the least attraction to Charlie; in fact, she seemed a bit exasperated with his attention.

Then one day they were called to a truck stop, where they found Candy Striper performing CPR on a truck driver. She was going to steal the truck, but the guy had a heart attack. So she called 911 and started CPR, and then as soon as the paramedics took over on the driver, *she* drove off with the truck... after first flirting with Charlie. He's been smitten with her ever since.

And ever since, the mention of Candy Striper seems to get under the player's skin. Gotta love it.

I think it's a player thing. Something about CS really rubbed the player wrong. But as a GM, I don't look a gift horse in the mouth. :)

Charlie used to have a crush on Sentinel, so he would often gush about her to his ambulance driving partner Caren (Sentinel's secret ID, though Charlie doesn't know that). Caren/Sentinel has never exhibited the least attraction to Charlie; in fact, she seemed a bit exasperated with his attention.

Then one day they were called to a truck stop, where they found Candy Striper performing CPR on a truck driver. She was going to steal the truck, but the guy had a heart attack. So she called 911 and started CPR, and then as soon as the paramedics took over on the driver, *she* drove off with the truck... after first flirting with Charlie. He's been smitten with her ever since.

And ever since, the mention of Candy Striper seems to get under the player's skin. Gotta love it.

Ah, ok. So, it's not the "you keeeled my father, prepare to die" sort of despise, just a random issue the player has with Candy Striper (or thinks his/her PC should have) that a good GM takes advantage of.

BTW, my fingers really want to type "Candy Stripper" but that would be a totally different character. :D

Out of curiosity, do you guys take notes on these comments?

I wonder because while my attention span is that of an insect, on my best days I'm lucky if I remember even one good quote even though there are likely to be several.

I do own this one from last game though...

Following a run-in with a vampire last game that ended in the vamp fleeing and us totally depleted (the DM easily could have done-in the group if he'd felt like it), a player is going over the equipment list in the book.

Player 1: "Garlic! I buy lots of garlic going to rub it on any room we sleep in."

Player 2: "I buy some too! And stakes!"

Player 1: "We buy lots of stakes. Can't find Mallets in here."

Me: "So you're saying there's an absence of mallets?"

(group groans)

Out of curiosity' date=' do you guys take notes on these comments?[/quote']

Yes. I take a lot of notes during the game, and write down crazy/funny/cool comments as they happen. I'm often told "write that down!" when someone drops a line that breaks everyone up.

A great GMing tool was demonstrated to me by a GM who wrote down PC (and player comments). He's make notes of PC/player speculations and the like and then use those lines to develop new plot lines. The classic example (that concerned me and Nestor [on the boards]) went like this:

It was a teen supers game and I was playing Orion, who could power-up from normal kid into an energy projector form. Nestor was playing... uhm... (I've forgotten his name....) Anyway, Orion's mother was an alien, while Nestor's PC was an alien himself. After defeating the most current villain threat, I noted "You know what the difference between your family and mine is? Mine's never tried to take over the Earth."

Guess what plot the GM sprung on me a number of sessions later?

Yes. I take a lot of notes during the game, and write down crazy/funny/cool comments as they happen. I'm often told "write that down!" when someone drops a line that breaks everyone up.

A great GMing tool was demonstrated to me by a GM who wrote down PC (and player comments). He's make notes of PC/player speculations and the like and then use those lines to develop new plot lines. The classic example (that concerned me and Nestor [on the boards]) went like this:

It was a teen supers game and I was playing Orion, who could power-up from normal kid into an energy projector form. Nestor was playing... uhm... (I've forgotten his name....) Anyway, Orion's mother was an alien, while Nestor's PC was an alien himself. After defeating the most current villain threat, I noted "You know what the difference between your family and mine is? Mine's never tried to take over the Earth."

Guess what plot the GM sprung on me a number of sessions later?

That must have been an awkward family reunion...

That must have been an awkward family reunion...

Heh. The way the scenario actually went down is that, during a later adventure involving time travel, Orion woke up back in WWII and found out a relative was secretly helping out the Nazis as a way to soften up Earth for invasion.

He (Susano) had no idea the GM was going to spring this on him. The rest of us were brought in to the trick and given temporary characters of the era to play out for the run.

The best part was Susano's face on the big reveal when Orion discovered the supervillain they were getting ready to fight was none other than his uncle! :D