Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

I'm horrible at remembering to write down quotes. Only if someone mentions that it should be written down does anything generally get noted...

Valour - Sentient emotion made manifest.

Dr. Mystic - Dr. Strange style mystic styled after the Venture Brothers' Dr. Orpheus.

Caius - Earth elementalist detective.

Sephiroth - Qabbalistic magus.

Me, the GM.

Discussing how to deal with a someone whose help they need that they just learned is a criminal of some special talent.

Dr. Mystic: We could citizen's arrest him, or we could just "hero" him... ... ... into the ground.

Caius: I like how "hero" has been verbed...

Caius: You could tell him that if he is deceitful, he will be "heroed".

Resting up for an early morning to come...

Caius: I'm going to go take a dirt nap.

Fighting a dangerous criminal who happens to be a 90+ year old little lady with a walker and a mumu who mystically controls yarn and knits mind-controlling clothing.

Valour: "Good, we won't be accused of attacking a little old lady because her yarn is attacking the stones."

Me, OOC: "It's a tuque. It tuque over his mind."

Lowered Intelligence was a power? stupid.gif

And I though Traveller (where your character can die during character creation) was the silliest game-system I'd ever seen...

In Hero Games,

I can lower a followers intelligence and get points back to spend.

I don't get points to spend for other disadvantages though.

In Hero Games,

That's sort of a mixed blessing. On the one hand, they're easier to fool. On the other hand, you're trying to get things done using a fool. On the one foot, they also are unlikely to perceive danger. On the other foot...

In today's Pathfinder Society game:

Barbarian: He's an Alchemist? What does that word mean?

Me: He's a class that is not out yet!

GM: YOu heard a whistle before the Cockatrices? Cockatrixes? Cockatri? attacked.

Player: Was it the Pecking Order?

Player 1: Send the Andoran trap finder and his bear to knock on the door.

Druid (Andoraan): Goes up to door: Cub Scouts!

GM: The Chelaxians are too interested in getting the wine bottles.

P1: A bunch of Alcoholic Chelaxians.

P2: I thought you worshipped Asmodeus not Cayden?

Player: I'm charging to Crit.

Everyone else: Huh?

Player proceeds to roll a nat 20: See!

In Hero Games,

They can also sell back senses, such as sight or hearing, under the 6e rules.

Followers and Summon are much more consistent in 6e, as the cost of Summon was never reduced by the disadvantages/complications of the Summoned creature.

To save you points, the follower should be a complication for you, shouldn't he? So take your Follower as a DNPC as well. That should make the Follower more inclined (how much more depends on the magnitude of points you take for DNPC) to get into difficulties you must rescue him from.

From Last nights Defenders Congregrate game:

While hacking into PRIMUS' mainframe looking for Mechanon, I discover that he is in our base computer and is tring to infect PRIMUS' computers. While attempting to stop him, I made my Security System/Computer Programming roll ridiculously high, like by 14 or 15.

GM: So what are you actually going to do?

Tomorrow Boy (OOC): I crash the PRIMUS mainframe, of course.

We still haven't heard back from PRIMUS but I suspect They are in complete chaos :sneaky:

While investigating a downed aircraft we discover that some of the debris is radioactive. Fantastic-Man has a vulnerablity to radiation that renders him powerless.

Rampaint Lion: Is there anyway we can detect where the radiation blast came from?

Warforge: We could just have Fantastic-Man fly around until he falls out of the sky.

Tomorrow Boy (OOC in best David Caruso imitation): Well, Frank..With all this radiation around we'll need to get the lead out. (cue CSI: Miami theme)

Followers and Summon are much more consistent in 6e, as the cost of Summon was never reduced by the disadvantages/complications of the Summoned creature.

To save you points, the follower should be a complication for you, shouldn't he? So take your Follower as a DNPC as well. That should make the Follower more inclined (how much more depends on the magnitude of points you take for DNPC) to get into difficulties you must rescue him from.

I don't see what you're talking about.

barbarian throw oil lantern

glass go crash

oil go splash

bad guy go frump

That's sort of a mixed blessing. On the one hand' date=' they're easier to fool. On the other hand, you're trying to get things done using a fool. On the one foot, they also are unlikely to perceive danger. On the other foot...[/quote']They juggle and dance?

To save you points' date=' the follower should be a complication for you, shouldn't he? So take your Follower as a DNPC as well. That should make the Follower more inclined (how much more depends on the magnitude of points you take for DNPC) to get into difficulties you must rescue him from.[/quote']Unless he is a disposable minion, easily replaced...

I don't see what you're talking about.

If the follower sells back 5 points of INT, he costs 1 point less. If he sells back his sight (6e explicitly prices out senses for purposes of sellback - Blind is no longer a complication) for 35 points, he is 7 points less expensive as a follower.

The cost of a Follower is now based on his total points, regardless of complications. The cost of a Summon has always been based on the total points of the Summoned creature regardless of complications.

In the past, a follower's complications were only legitimate if they made life more difficult for the character who purchased the follower. For example, "Loyal to PC Unto Death" was not a legitimate Follower disadvantage. Things that make the PC's life more difficult are complications of the PC. If the PC wants an NPC who is helpful, he would buy a Follower. If he wants one who causes him problems, he would take a DNPC Complication. If an NPC is both helpful and a hindrance, pay for him as a follower and take him as a DNPC. If he's only a problem on occasion, it's "infrequent", so you set how often the Follower will be a problem by setting the DNPC frequency level.

The party are fighting an evil druid and his animal minions, and have managed to whittle their numbers down to justh im and a very, very angry badger.

Waffers: Can I throw the badger at him?

Surpisingly enough, it worked.

One of the other players is playing a deliberately creepy sorcerer. He's been using an off-key music box whenever he's speaking to enhance the effect, and it works. And thenm, when he's making a dramatic revelation...

...the box stops working.

Ah well.

They juggle and dance?

...Where's the rep button?

The party are fighting an evil druid and his animal minions, and have managed to whittle their numbers down to justh im and a very, very angry badger.

Waffers: Can I throw the badger at him?

Surpisingly enough, it worked.

One of the other players is playing a deliberately creepy sorcerer. He's been using an off-key music box whenever he's speaking to enhance the effect, and it works. And thenm, when he's making a dramatic revelation...

...the box stops working.

Ah well.

That sounds like instant creep factor, to me.

My brother's Neverwinter sorceress again

Suna
: Well, I
could
sit around and tell you how I just managed to stun your entire party and turn half of you into chickens, but torture is quicker. Explanations take time and
Chain Lightning
is a one-phase action

Edge City 3D, final episode!

Trawler : 12-ft tall, about the same wide

Terminus : Genetic warrior, now with a family of clone-brothers

Avatar : Autonomous fragment of the Sun, and mobile Chernobyl

Zero : Won't use his his powers for evil - unless he's in his civilian ID

Trawler
: You might not be aware of this Zero, but you're actually
scary
now

Terminus
: The sword helps

Zero
: Is it the way I talk to it and giggle?

Zero
: I've got a question... What does the radar... profile...thingy... say about that cloud? We're not going to get millions of vampire seagulls, are we?

Weldun, GM
: Nah, vampire ducks - 'KVACK! KVACK!'

Zero
: Pity they're obsolete and it's the wrong season anyway, or you could kiss her under the TOW missiles.

Terminus
: Hey, Paladin! We're here to kick your ass!

Zero
: ...again.

: I'm going to try knocking the Black Paladin off his horse...

Zero
: His
high
horse. They are flying after all

Weldun, GM
: Picture the Stargate effect ...

Zero
: Not 2001?

Weldun, GM
: I'm not that mean

From other table
: Yes you are

Weldun, GM
: Looking out over Edge City you see the fires are spotty...

Me
: They just hit puberty

In Cthulhu, Col. Lancaster, Lucy Kennedy, Amy Wells & Paddy McGinty return to Innsmouth, after several months of getting their names in the paper for frustrating Deep One plans, shooting unarmed hybrid nannies in the head, and so on. They also sign the Gilman Hotel guestbook with their real names & addresses, and are installed on the fourth floor of the hotel, with Lucy's invalid mother and wheelchair. Naturally, as GM I could barely keep my grin from splitting off the top of my head.

They start the session way off-balance, because as far as they can tell the monsters are killing each other.

Me, GM
: You're
pretty
sure that was Ralsa's shoe you found in the vitrified crater. At the very least he left his foot in it.

McGinty's player gets his geography slightly confused...

McGinty's player
: We should have a horse, like the Massachusetts Rangers.

Me, GM
: The who??? Do you mean the Texas Rangers?

McGinty's player
: Oh yeah. Texas & Massachusetts are next to each other, aren't they?

The group are unimpressed by the food in the dismal diner. Even the toast leaves much to be desired.

Paddy McGinty
: It could be a raisin ... No, it's a weevil

They also speculate somewhat wildly about the disappearance of the First National Grocery manager.

Col. Lancaster
: The shelves aren't laid out in an occult symbol, are they? Customers walking from aisles 1 to 5 re-enacting an ancient Babylonian ritual?

Me,GM
: No, the grocery is entirely Euclidean. The walls are flat, the floor is flat, there are no acute angles behaving as if they were obtuse.The only obtuse things around here are sitting in front of me.

Me,GM
: Maybe his girlfriend had PMS?

Amy Wells, OOC
: PMS doesn't make you break into groceries

Me,GM
: But you do grow three-inch claws and punch in windows?

Amy Wells, OOC
: Well, yes. But you don't break into groceries.

Lucy Kennedy, OOC
: Sugar rush?

Amy Wells, OOC
: Good point. Maybe it WAS her

Lancaster's opinion of McGinty hasn't improved

Col. Lancaster
: I served in the Great War four four years and met quite a few of his countrymen who thought they'd got a wedding ring from a pineapple

Paddy McGinty
: I've got an alarm - it's a hand-grenade and a piece of string. It sure gets you up in the middle of the night. See?

Col. Lancaster
:
Put the wedding ring back in the pineapple, McGinty.

Me, GM
: No you can't buy a man-trap at the variety store! I don't want you getting out of bed in the middle of the night and loosing a leg!

Paddy McGinty OOC
waves mangled hand
I already nearly lost an arm! I could lose a leg too and still be useful!

Me, GM
: As busy as a one-legged Irishman at an arse-kicking contest...

Col. Lancaster
: What do you call an Irishman with one arm and one leg?

Me, GM
:
cautiously
Whaaaat?

Col. Lancaster
: A half-wit

Eavesdropping -

Dr. Marsh to persons unknown
: Is this some punishment on me because I'll never change?! You let Averill kill my only son!

Paddy McGinty OOC
: I knew that Lavigne woman was evil...

Me, GM
: Must I remind you again that there's a
slight
difference between the IRA & the Ulster Volunteer Force?

Me, GM
: You
do
have money. Lancaster throws cash around with as much enthusiasm as McGinty throws improvised explosives. Admittedly with more constructive results.

From the "obviously funnier if you were there" file...

We've been traveling an arabian-style desert and subsequently book passage on a ship. After taking over a pirate ship and hiring new crew, we hire the captain from the old ship. After noting the crazy stuff we've been through and wondering why anyone would hire on with us after that, a player referred to Captain Abdullah as "Abdullah Oblongata".

The GM has subsequently changed the captain's last name to match the wisecrack.

Col. Lancaster
: The shelves aren't laid out in an occult symbol, are they? Customers walking from aisles 1 to 5 re-enacting an ancient Babylonian ritual?

Me,GM
: No, the grocery is entirely Euclidean. The walls are flat, the floor is flat, there are no acute angles behaving as if they were obtuse.The only obtuse things around here are sitting in front of me.

Looks like another showing of The Attack of the Sarcastic GM.

:winkgrin:

Sounds a little like a pirate game I ran several years back. The first session was supposed to revolve around the survivors of a couple different ships, stranded in Port Royal, laid low while a) getting organized and B) looked for a way to evade the authorities and get back to Tortuga.

Best laid plans of mice and GM's and all.

One of the day's notable events was supposed to be the launching of a new ship, a small but fast sloop-of-war for the Royal Navy. This would allow the players to hijack it that night, if they so chose.

Oh, no. Not my players. They stormed it during the commissioning, so the English never got the chance to formally name it. The players succeded, mainly through shock and crazy stunts (one person ran up the mooring rope on a critical success), and sailed off into the sunset toward the next session.

One of the players finally asked what name was painted on the stern of the ship. In a moment of sarcasm, I told him "It's the HMS Irrelevant." :ugly:

And so it remained for the rest of the campaign.

The cast of our Monster Hunter game:

Kayla a psychic ninja on the run for kidnapping her younger sister, Molly.

Mike, a half-angel who, due to a psychic accident, ended up switching bodies with the 17 year old Molly.

Julian a Vodun park ranger

Danny a ghost-hunting martial artist

Sonia a half-vampire newspaper reporter

From the table chat before last Saturday’s game:

Sonia [OOC as she accepts the money pooled for pizza]: Never give money to someone wearing a black coat.

Danny [OOC]: I’ve got three pages of notes here to go over and try to figure out what the plot is.

Julian [OOC]: The plot seems pretty straight forward to me.

Danny [OOC]: Okay. And?

Julian [OOC]: Pull bad thing out of pocket and throw at the group. Watch them screw it up and that leads to the next bad thing. What’s so complicated about that?

From the actual game:

Sonia: We’ve already got him in a box. I might as well take advantage of it.

Mike: I know where we can get a 50 foot ‘gator.

Danny: It’s hard to talk through a slit throat.

GM [OOC]: Okay, quit stalling and make that Acting roll.

Julian [OOC as he reaches for the dice]: Damn!

Kayla [OOC]: Can I use Deduction? I think I know what it is!

Danny [OOC of Kayla]: She looked up to me just three Phases ago. Now I’m just Puppy Chow.

Julian: Everyone else we’ve met we’ve either killed or estranged. This is our first friend!

Sonia: We’re just further ahead on the felony bingo than you.

----------

GM: "You were only hit by one werewolf, he does 14 STUN and 14 BODY"

James: "I give him that one wide 'Sho-Nuff' eye, 'M$%$%^ F*@%#$, YOU just scratched my jacket!"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34415[/ATTACH]

----------