Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From what was a D20 Modern campaign, that has morphed into a Hero System conversion of RPGObjects Blood & Relics campagin setting.

Two first level heroes, utterly uprepared to discover that there are monsters below the streets of Providence, RI are forced to improvise weapons... a lead pipe and rock. The lead pipe wielding hero proves to be little more than a meat shield, but the rock wielder saves the day. In an inspired bit of dialogue, after fleeing the scene -- bloody, battered and scared witless:

"Never let go of the rock, never let go of the rock."

From last weekend's Champs game: Straight Arrow is dealing with an amorous supervillianess when he gets called away to help his team...

New Man: You should leave her something to remember you by. Like a big, ugly scar!

Straight Arrow: What I can't figure out, New Man, is why you're still single.

:lol:

The other night, we were playtesting a con game, and a player decision meant that they were now going to need transport to the area where they suspect the hostage is. Only two of the six pregens can fly, and there was an argument going on as to whether the flyers could carry all the nonflyers.

PC 1 (running a male character): Do I have enough strength to take both of the girls?

PC 2: Wouldn't that be CON?

Couple of my lines from the last Champions game:

(watching the CF as the group tries to stop a popcorn cart from being stolen, moments after getting my butt whomped trying to take a 1000+ point villain solo):

"At least when I do something idiotic, it's because of my Psycological Limitations."

(after tracking down who was disrupting the festival by stealing snack vendors' carts):

"Guys, you'd better get over here. I found the culprit, I'm by myself, and I'm negotiating."

Actually' date=' I've done it, as well. Neil's just quicker on the draw.[/quote']

If I were being quoted incorrectly that way, I'd also note such.

On the other hand, in speaking I can trip over my tongue and grammar not being suddenly so good it comes out tumbled up. :D

The characters:

Joey Flame - mutant blaster type with, you guessed it, fire powers.

The Wraith - ghost of some poor schlep killed in a super-battle years ago.

The situation:

Joey has been captured by VIPER agents and is being held in a non-descript cell in an unknown area. The Wraith followed along with the intent to break JF out at the best opportunity. Joey has the Disadvantage Psy Lim: Phobia of Ghosts and the Supernatural; obviously, these two have difficulties when they're paired up.

Wraith: (Phasing into the cell and becoming visible) Joey, I'm here to take you home.

Joey Flame: Oh, Jesus! Guard! Guard! The Grim Reaper is here, you gotta lemme out! Please! (and similar panicking)

Guard: Well, thats a new take on the whole "sick prisoner" routine...

Figuring a better way to approach the situation, the Wraith Skin-rides (Mind Control with Melding) the guard and opens the door.

Wraith: Joey, it's just me, Sam. Just relax... I've taken this guard's body, you have nothing to be scared of.

Joey: (calmed this time cuz he made his EGO roll) Sam... you think the idea that I'm dealing with a dead guy possessing the body of a terrorist is somehow calming?

Wraith: (after a long pause) Undead. You want out or not?

j

Guest WhammeWhamme

Edit: Well, I posted this to our gaming group's mailing list... and the GM unleashed his editor-fu.

About the Orz (yes, really);

Dr. 'Watson'- "You know, they're really quite likable."

Lt. Com. Galilei- "No, they are NOT! They're the enemy, and evil, and they

destroyed my world..."

Dr. 'Watson'- "Oh no, I'm not saying I'm not down with the setting the

Ur-Quan on them and trying to destroy them or anything; totally behind that.

Just saying they're really likable."

Orz- "We know that *many bubbles* like to be greeted. So... Hello!"

Captain Carrad- "Hello..."

Orz- "Hello!"

Captain Carrad- "Right."

Orz- "Hello!"

Captain Carrad- "You know, it's also customary to STOP greeting after a

while."

Lt. Com. Galilei- "Well, the Captain has sent me to my quarters for yelling

at the Orz. But from there I can hack into the ships computers and see

what's going on!"

GM- "Or you could just use your access, which will let you see anything

anyway."

Lt. Com. Galilei- "Oh yeah."

On the Pkunk-

Dr 'Watson'- "Sure I've dealt with weirder stuff! But that was freaky, ALIEN

weird shit! This is NOT alien, these people are just weird, and it's creeping me

out. REALLY creeping me out."

Dr 'Watson'- "Are the Pkunk and the Yehat crossfertile? They are, right?"

Lt. Com. Galilei- "Yes."

Dr 'Watson'- "You did find that through comparing bioscans, right? Not

through experimentation? 'Cause I'd have liked to know about the

experimentation."

Dr 'Watson'- "What's with the blue feathers they all wear?"

Lt. Com. Galilei- "So the Pkunk can claim to be the bluebirds of happiness."

Dr 'Watson'- "No, seriously, what's with the blue feathers?"

Lt. Com. Galilei- "So the Pkunk can claim to be the bluebirds of happiness."

On being marooned with only one other Yehat of the same gender-

Dr 'Watson'- "11 years man, 11 years!"

Lt. Com. Galilei- "I've been doing without for just as long!"

Dr 'Watson'- "YOU had some choice in the matter."

Resistance to the idea of taking on Pkunk support ships just melted away

once the two Yehat crew members learned that Pkunk fighter pilots are 60% female.

On encountering the !Chagger, a hive-minded arthropod species;

Lt. Com. Galilei- "Ooh. First contact boarding party!"

GM- "The crew compartments on that ship appear to be about an inch in size."

Lt. Com. Galilei- "Well damn."

The team has been run ragged fighting the badguy's human minions and some cyborg types. Among the heroes involved is a gun-freak gadgeteer that has been unable to bring his really cool stuff to bear, being that we don't want any of our enemies to actually be killed (we're heroes, after all). Good news for the gadgeteer; we receive information that the bad guy (basically a Dr. Doom/Dr. Destroyer type) has activated his dreaded robot army that will essentially spell destruction for the unfortunate SOBs caught on the bad end of it - the gun-freak couldn't be happier.

Gun-Freak Gadgeteer: Yes! Finally, a chance to use my big minigun!

Team Speedster: Why would you need a big *and* a small minigun?

GFG: Variety is the spice of life.

Later, that same gadgeteer got to make that priceless PRE attack:

Say "hello" to my little friend!, in a near perfect Tony Montana voice to boot.

"Oh no, I'm not saying I'm not down with the setting the Ur-Quan on them and trying to destroy them or anything; totally behind that. Just saying they're really likable."

"Are the Krunk and the Yehat crossfertile? They are, right?"

STAR CONTROL?

Oh, that's priceless.

:thumbup:

Guest WhammeWhamme

STAR CONTROL?

Oh, that's priceless.

:thumbup:

sssshh. The GM chose to run it after he discovered that the only member of our group who had ever heard of it was the guy who was dropping out. I know nothing about the setting apart from what we've discovered in game. And I promised not to find out.

I'm playing "Watson", an Alliance Yehat Medical Officer with a keen interest in humans. (Yes, he chose the nickname for himself, since I can't even spell his real name from memory, let alone pronounce it - and neither can his fellow crew members).

(Fellow players: Androsynth Chief Science Officer [who played a Shofixti TO in the first adventure] and the Syrene Captain).

It's been interesting. In just four sessions we have:

-Been part of a secret mission to Androsnyth that was cut short by a weird, freaky apocalypse that we managed to escape by the skin of our teeth, bringing with us all know living Androsnyth.

-Been stranded for 11 years on a remote star system that we colonized through necessity that happened to have a precursor starship construction facility on it.

-Escaped by having it design and build the Toughest Battleship In The Known Galaxy (sadly, almost no weapons systems).

-Found out the entire alliance was overrun by the Ur-Quan three days after we left.

-Encountered 'Ortz' (something like that) in the Androsynth homeworld. (These are the 'really likable' alien race I'm happy to have destroyed)

-Met the Krunk, the 'traders of information', a race made up of many insect hive minds, and an Arloo Scoutship (which answered some questions we had).

-Begun rebuilding the Alliance from the ground up, starting with the insect people.

Not a gaming session quote, but I was helping my players write up the background for an old character whose "uncle" (in the sense that your parent's friends are sometimes called aunts and uncles) is a major character in the game world who fought in WWI, WWII, a few conflicts in between, and the Israeli War of Independence, before coming back to the states to head up the team this character is on. He grew up hearing about all of this and his character's thoughts, interjected into the write-up, were: "Uncle Judah seemed to have a lot of wars to fight in." It cracked me up because "Uncle Judah" is my character.

Saturday - 7th Sea (Gmed by yours truly)

Player (reading the player's guide about the Vaticine Church -the catholic church of the game world - ) : "priesthood in the vaticine church is opened to men ... (reading) ... of both genders ..."

Sunday - ADD Forgotten Realms

(from the GM) : you see three people currently in the park ... one of them is a couple of lovers ...

And this last one about the danger of relying too much on the player's knowledge of the world :

The PCs are trying to cool down a riot of people, angered by a strange crimewave in the town. one of the PCs, aside from the others (and off table) is following two suspect mens

GM - One of them lost some kind of medallion while running

PC - I take it. how does it look like ?

GM - It seems to be a holy symbol : it looks like (mmmmhmhmhmhmh). Could you make a roll fo knowledge: rel...

PC - no problem. i know which god it is. i call them and tell them i'm on their side. i also tell them that i gonna quiet the mob down so they could escape.

Gm - uh ?? err ok.

(later)

PC2 (to PC) : What happened when you were alone ?

PC - I met 2 priests of Helm (NB Lawful good; god of guardians, duty ...) endangered by the riot. i helped to get through ...

GM (suddenly realizes ) - hum, just a point

"Steel Gauntlet, fingers up" : holy symbol of Helm, lawful good god of guardians ...

"Steel Gauntlet, clenched fist" : holy symbol of Bane, lawful evil god of tyranny ...

PC ot other PCs - Errr ... i didn't meet anyone ...

Saturday - 7th Sea (Gmed by yours truly)

Player (reading the player's guide about the Vaticine Church -the catholic church of the game world - ) : "priesthood in the vaticine church is opened to men ... (reading) ... of both genders ..."

Sunday - ADD Forgotten Realms

(from the GM) : you see three people currently in the park ... one of them is a couple of lovers ...

And this last one about the danger of relying too much on the player's knowledge of the world :

The PCs are trying to cool down a riot of people, angered by a strange crimewave in the town. one of the PCs, aside from the others (and off table) is following two suspect mens

GM - One of them lost some kind of medallion while running

PC - I take it. how does it look like ?

GM - It seems to be a holy symbol : it looks like (mmmmhmhmhmhmh). Could you make a roll fo knowledge: rel...

PC - no problem. i know which god it is. i call them and tell them i'm on their side. i also tell them that i gonna quiet the mob down so they could escape.

Gm - uh ?? err ok.

(later)

PC2 (to PC) : What happened when you were alone ?

PC - I met 2 priests of Helm (NB Lawful good; god of guardians, duty ...) endangered by the riot. i helped to get through ...

GM (suddenly realizes ) - hum, just a point

"Steel Gauntlet, fingers up" : holy symbol of Helm, lawful good god of guardians ...

"Steel Gauntlet, clenched fist" : holy symbol of Bane, lawful evil god of tyranny ...

PC ot other PCs - Errr ... i didn't meet anyone ...

Sweet!

Elasti-Man is wrestling a necromancer into submission.

EM has powers terribly similar to plastic man of the JLA.

his player tells the GM: "each round I form a different item

from Black-n-Decker, and then try it on his head"

round one: belt-sander, necromancer still conscious.

round two: power saw, necromancer taking stun.

round three: nailer, necromancer KOed.

E-Man tells the team: Nail-Gun Noogie gets'em every time!

This is in a 7th seas game a i play each week set in 1799 spain

Victor (an awesome professor of lanugage, with terrible combat skills): how many actions would it be for me to run up to the 2nd floor and dive out the window to the ground?

GM: so you end up behind them? that's awesome.

::some rolls later::

Victor's player used all his drama dice trying not to break his legs on thet jump, doesn't land on his feet, and misses the shot at the end of it.

GM: well now we know what Indiana Jones would have been like if he wasn't played by Herrison Ford

Just another line or two from my fanfics. Both involve Titan (power armored, Iron Man type) and Star Knight (GL homage)

The situation: the Silver Knights are in the middle of a huge fight with Dr Destroyer and Titan get hit with a neural attack that fries his synapse and has his whole nervous system is misfiring. Star Knight evacs him to the nearest medical Center: on Destroyer Island. When the doctor refuses to treat Titan, citing that Destroyer would kill, Star Knight states (hand glowing):

"I have two things Destroyer doesn't have: the ability to create energy swords and a *really* peverted sense of what's kinky. "

Alternate take:

*points to Titan* "That's the man I love."

*hand glows* "These are the energy swords I create"

"You *don't* want to see how perverted I can get with these when I'm in a bad mood... like RIGHT F***ING NOW!"

The next one is when Star Knight has taken over leadership of the Silver Knights after Lady Silver has been captured and superheroes have been outlawed as part of an alien conspiracy to take over the world. After breaking out of a super prison with over two dozen super criminals in tow as part of an army to fight the invasion, Star Knight is stresed, tired, and overwhelmed. Alone with Titan:

Star Knight (Ameiko): I can't deal with this **** anymore. *sigh* Matt, I need you to be with me."

Titan (Matt): I'm always here with you Ameiko.

Ameiko closes the distance and presses herself close to him: "No, I need you to *be with me* "

Our first Champions game with Matt as GM- three of us investigating what seemed to be supervillain robberies of jewelry stores. We go to one high-class establishment after hours and notice the back door is ripped off, perhaps by superstrength. We check and see that two people have been frozen into statues. We go downstairs and slip on the ice patch that's there for no reason. It turns out this one ice-powered villainess and her brickette friend are robbing the vault with some help from their goons, who have fairly powerful (10d6+) iceray guns. We spent most of our time fighting the goons as the ice princess is too lazy to get in the fight herself, but when the guys call for reinforcements, the ice princess comes out- with her two pet POLAR BEARS.

And Gary, playing Black Eagle (the grim-avenger-of-the-night character) blurts out in character, "Polar bears? Who takes polar bears to rob a jewelry vault? This is crazy!"

Guess you had to be there. :)

JG

The PCs have come to a submarine-hatch-like door; behind it is ...

Me: "A 5'x5' vertical shaft, descending into total pitch blackness and eerie silence."

Player1:"That shaft is one bad mother--"

Player2:"SHUT YO' MOUTH!"

Player1:"I'm just talkin' about the shaft."

A friend gave me permission to share this one:

I think you might like this bit. One of my other games on HC (as a player) is Victorian Hero. In one scene, my character (sort of a more genteel Alan Quartermain type) is taking on a mob of thugs, with another PC (a 'civilized Lakota'): Him: (Sioux war cry): "Hekitu Welo AIAIAIII!" My guy: "Quite."

^ v ^