Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

He was thinking that would reverse the spell, right? (I might have tried reading it backwards.)

[/size][/font]

Yup. Great for me, but still pretty damn silly.

So' date=' how many Sanity Points did the party lose in total from THAT little ..... 'business transaction'?[/quote']

Not many, actually - after all, they only saw the tentacles. I did ask them to roll, just to see how much they'd have lost if I'd been mean enough to let the Big C stick his head through, and the results ranged from 70 to 99 - but because I was being kind, nobody lost more than 4.

Not many' date=' actually - after all, they only saw the tentacles. I did ask them to roll, just to see how much they'd have lost if I'd been mean enough to let the Big C stick his head through, and the results ranged from 70 to 99 - but because I was being kind, nobody lost more than 4.[/quote']

Which raises the BIG question.

How many sanity points would Cthulhu have lost if he came face-to-face with McGinty?

I don't recall seeing this in the quotes. Does McGinty have a psychiatrist for when SAN gets too low' date=' or does he recover points through regular alcohol consumption? :)[/quote']

Nah, he does pretty well in the SAN rewards, from making monsters run screaming. Most of the players are actually maxed out on Sanity, incredibly. Allbeit, in some cases that 40 points of of 100

WAAY behind on my quotes-posting duties for Bunny Sue's Chronicles of the Agency game (Golden Age superheroes). So here's the vast memory dump:

----

The Agents

The Patriot - Mild-mannered Army Captain Tom Jefferson transforms in the star-spangled powerhouse when he shouts the magic words, "By the Dawn's Early Light!"

Rocket Ranger - Aviator and inventor Brett Tucker uses his murdered uncle's advanced rocket pack and weapon gauntlets to protect the innocent.

Clubber - Folk musician Charlie Varens uses his superhuman strength and nigh-invulnerability to defend the common, working man.

Havoc - Mysterious Annabelle Leonard gained ghost and luck powers and gave up the thieving life to seek new, more worthwhile challenges.

The Mighty Huntress - A blood transfusion gives mousy librarian Elsie Ashby the ability to take on a half-tiger and all-woman feline form.

Nightwatch - Texas Ranger Jeb Kane utilizes his dark shadow powers to deal with kind of threats even Rangers cannot handle.

Artifact - World-traveling archaeologist Esther Rausch is determined to protect the unknowing public from dangerous magical devices that don't stay lost and uses some of those devices in her quest.

----

Random comment about visitors from another world...

Clubber: They can't be tentacled monsters, they aren't ripping people's clothes off.

The Syndarians - a race of beautiful woman from the edge of the solar system - meet with the Agents and are particularly interested in Rocket Ranger's weapons and technology. Ranger walks in the meeting a little late but his teammates get him caught up...

Patriot: Brett, these women want to examine your tools.

Nightwatch: So you going to let them touch your junk or what?

Nightwatch has more than a passing interest in Agent Libby Belle - the team's government liason - but when she starts acting more secretive than usual, he considers following her around to see what she's up to. His teammates advise against it...

Rocket Ranger: When you're romancing a woman, you want to stop at the point of illegal.

Patriot: Yes, stalking is not sexy.

Nightwatch and Clubber share a personality trait in common...

Nightwatch: Does any of this strike you as suspicious?

Clubber: Everything strikes me as suspicious.

The Syndarians have traveled the length of the solar system on a mission of peace and cross-cultural exchange. As a sign of good faith, they are even willing to share some of their advanced technology with the Earthlings. Clubber is dubious...

Clubber: You don't trust chocolate cake falling from the sky; you don't trust space babes showing up with high-tech gifts.

While explaining why the Agents refuse to follow the Syndarians around the city or try to break into their spaceship...

Rocket Ranger: We're far too law-abiding to around stalking people or intruding on their property. That's why we hired Havoc.

The armed and dangerous Radio Marauders are robbing a bank, holding a number of employees and customers hostage. The Agents arrive on the scene and make a plan - with Patriot and Rocket Ranger dominating the scheming as usual...

Patriot: I say we charge in.

Rocket Ranger: I'm with Patriot on this.

Patriot: That's two against...

Rocket Ranger: ...no one who matters.

The Agents battle the Radio Marauders, making short work of them, but the high-tech crooks continue looting valuables even in the midst of the fight...

Rocket Ranger: You've got to admire these guys' confidence; they still think they can get away.

Patriot meets up with a mysterious woman who claims to have knowledge of the origins of the Radio Marauders. Her speech pattern and dress mark as not from around here...

Patriot: Are you from the future?

Mysterious NPC: Um, no.

Patriot: Are you from another planet?

Mysterious NPC: What? No.

Patriot: Are you from the center of the Earth?

Mysterious NPC: I beg your pardon?

Patriot: Sorry. It wouldn't be the strangest thing we've heard.

Left to her own devices, the Mighty Huntress decides to sneak into the hideout of the Radio Marauders. Unfortunately, her plan involves changing from her daring and overconfident half-feline form back to shy and reserved Elsie Ashby...

Mighty Huntress (OOC): Huntress finds a secluded spot and turns back into Elsie....

Rocket Ranger (OOC): ...and promptly realizes this is a crazy idea and runs away.

Mighty Huntress (OOC): Yeah, pretty much. :help:

The Mighty Huntress' plan sort of backfires and she ends up captured by the Radio Marauders...

Mighty Huntress: That worked out much better in my head.

Havoc: It usually does.

The Agents meet back up and discuss how to find and rescue their missing teammate...

Nightwatch: Do we know where Mighty Huntress is?

Havoc: In New York?

Nightwatch: Can we be more specific?

In the middle of their search of the Mighty Huntress, the Agents get word over their radios that some sort of disturbance was occurring at the World's Fair...

Patriot: Well, wherever there's a disturbance, we can expect to find the Mighty Huntress.

There may be a bit of bias in this statement...

Rocket Ranger: Nothing says progress toward the future like rockets!

After helping defeat the Radio Marauders, the mysterious woman casts doubt upon the Agents' loyalty to their mission commander, Agent Libby Belle...

Mysterious NPC: Do you trust your Agent Belle?

Patriot: Well, we did...up until she started showing interest in Nightwatch.

Nightwatch: But she hasn't shown interest in me!

Patriot: Oh, really? Well then...yes, we trust her implicitly.

Random pulps era comment...

Rocket Ranger: Never underestimate the evil of evil-doers.

During an encounter in which the Agents are breaking into a warehouse, looking for evidence of illegal trafficking of stolen museum pieces, Havoc's player forgets which figure on the hex map is hers...

Havoc (OOC): I'm so sneaky I can't even keep track of myself.

Havoc and Artifact devise a scheme to meet with a Tong leader named Doctor Fang. They intend to use some of Artifact's magical devices in a false sale to Fang, though Artifact becomes concerned about letting dangerous items out in the open...

Havoc: Don't worry. Any sales can be totally temporary. If we want it returned, it'll get returned. :sneaky:

Another standard Patriot credo...

Patriot: When in doubt, knock it out. :thumbup:

While investigating the disappearance of several animals from locals zoos, the Agents find that the creatures have been transformed into anthromorphic imitations of themselves! Patriot's double is a gorilla clad in a red, white, and blue uniform, which promptly offends his sensibilities...

Patriot: You beastly abomination...take off those colors or I'll take them off of you! And I mean that in a totally non-sexual, hetero sort of way!

Clubber's animal double grabs a hold of the Mighty Huntress and Nightwatch wonders if the creature also knows Clubber's tactics...

Nightwatch: It's going to realize that the best thing to hit a hero with is another hero.

The Mighty Huntress springs onto the back of Clubber's bear doppelganger...

Mighty Huntress: I'm riding a bear! And that's not a euphemism!

During the fight with the bestial duplicates, Havoc is instructed to search for Francine Ashby, evil twin sister to the Mighty Huntress...

Havoc: I'm looking for someone who looks like Elsie but crazy. Wait...that wasn't clear enough...

Rocket Ranger shouts at Patriot to go and assist Nightwatch, who has drawn the attention of two of the beast-men along with a couple of Tong warriors...

Patriot: What's attacking him?

Nightwatch: Everything!

The battle with the beast-men goes poorly for a number of the heroes, especially Patriot, who gets punched, kicked, tossed, stabbed and shredded to an inch of his all-American life. It's a far-cry from how most of the Agents' battles go...

Rocket Ranger: Damn it, Patriot. You're supposed look good while Nightwatch takes the damage. Get it right.

Patriot: Hey, that's right - Jeb, get over here!

Nightwatch: I can't. I'm too busy looking good. :cool:

Finally, when Patriot is in turn surrounded by opponents, the oft-abused Nightwatch offers...

Nightwatch: Are you going to get your star-spangled knickers in a twist if I save you?

Seeing a wave of Tong warriors coming toward him, Clubber cracks his knuckles and grins...

Clubber: Time to get cinematic. :eg:

While the Mighty Huntress is tackled by a half-dozen Tong fighters, she is also assaulted by her white tiger doppelganger. Her teammates protest that the picked-on Huntress could take as much damage as she does...

Rocket Ranger (OOC): But she has a protective shells of ninjas!

Thanks to his Rocket Ranger Rocket Pack, Rocket Ranger manages to avoid the worst of the combat by flitting about the battlefield. Nightwatch wonders when the high-flying hero is going to draw some of the fire...

Nightwatch: How about you take one for the team for a change?

Rocket Ranger: I'd like to...but you and Patriot keep hogging it all.

Only a couple of the beast-men are still standing. Rocket Ranger tries to decide which of the two to attack next...

Rocket Ranger: Let's see, the gorilla is based off of Patriot and the bear is based off of Clubber...and Clubber is the bigger threat...

Patriot: Hey! :mad:

Having just used her "luck powers" to heal Artifact, Havoc rushes over to do the same for Patriot, only to have Clubber take a bad hit as well...

Havoc: C'mon, guys, there's only one of me!

While looking around for which teammate to help next, Havoc is called by Artifact for some backup...

Havoc: You only have the one ninja now. You'll be okay.

With the bear-man dazed and the gorilla-man still nearby, Clubber decides to give the bear the boot, driving it straight into the gorilla...

Clubber: Let's try soccer...that's a real working man's game. Bend it like Charlie. :eg:

Patriot turns his attention to the attacking Tong warriors, shouting at them with his usual pro-America rhetoric...

Patriot: Get out of my country, you foreign devils!

Tong Warrior (NPC): What are you talking about? My grandfather came here in 1840 - I'm a third-generation native!

Patriot: :nonp:

If there's one attribute that Clubber has never lacked, it's self-confidence...

GM: You're surrounded by two ninjas.

Clubber: What a coincidence...I have two hands. :eg:

----

Whew! Sorry of the long post! Hope you enjoy!

Lonewalker

Isunne: and that's my plan...

Maxmillion: that's so crazy...

Isunne: that it just might work?

Maxmillion: no? Are you brain damaged? I was gonna say, that's so crazy that i'm gonna tie you to a chair and leave you here to guard the ship!

Isunne: and that's my plan...

Maxmillion: that's so crazy...

Isunne: that it just might work?

Maxmillion: no? Are you brain damaged? I was gonna say, that's so crazy that i'm gonna tie you to a chair and leave you here to guard the ship!

Not going to be a very effective guard if all tied up....

Lucius Alexander

Putting a palindromedary on guard

A little Role-Play with my Champions Online Heroine Thrud (daughter of Thor and Sif)

Thrud: Well met, sir. I appreciate your aid against this evil.

Mister Giggles: Not a problem Babe, there more like you at home?

Thrud: I have two brothers...if that's what you mean?

Mister Giggles: uhm...no.

Austere: He means you're hot and he wants to know if you have sisters.

Thrud: *raises eyebrow* The daughter of Thor is not enough woman for you?

Mister Giggles: Not saying that at all! I um...damn

Austere: Just think if she took you home you could have the awkward moment with Thor polishing his hammer while you wait in the living room....wait...that didn't come out right...

Thrud: (smile) It's more awkward when Mother polishes his hammer in front of company.

:lol:

Oh, boy... it's a good thing that your campaign is nowhere near Drhoz's WH40K/RT

campaign.

Had that been the case, you can bet your sweet bippy that the comments about

hammers would have triggered a major manifestation of a Smut Field -- and who

knows where that would have gone from there.

Major Tom 2009 :jawdrop:

Left to her own devices, the Mighty Huntress decides to sneak into the hideout of the Radio Marauders. Unfortunately, her plan involves changing from her daring and overconfident half-feline form back to shy and reserved Elsie Ashby...

Mighty Huntress (OOC): Huntress finds a secluded spot and turns back into Elsie....

Rocket Ranger (OOC): ...and promptly realizes this is a crazy idea and runs away.

Mighty Huntress (OOC): Yeah, pretty much. :help:

Reminds me of a moment in a 3.5 D&D Campaign I ran... The party is lurking in wait to take on a Mind Flayer. In preparation, they all drink potions of Owl's Wisdom to buff their WIL saves. Having drank hers, the half-orc barbarian now has a modicum of wisdom, prompting her to exclaim, "Oh my gods! We're about to take on a Mind Flayer! What, are we crazy!?"

Teammate checking in on the communicator network

Them
: Hello, everybody, what are you all up to

Vitus
: Up in Andrithal, crushing Lemurian eggs. It's getting my toes all sticky.

Them
: ....

Vitus
: You
did
ask.

Them
: ....
why
?

Vitus
: They're the best source of Edomic mana I know. I
could
go around cutting the hearts from the adults, but the unhatched are less trouble.

Them
: *
splutters
* You... you're killing children to collect dark magicks? What is
wrong
with you? Don't you have children of your own?

Vitus
:
*voice dangerously flat*
No. Not anymore. They were murdered by a supervillain as revenge on me.

Them
: You know loss and you're still doing this???

Vitus
:I'm sorry, I don't see the equivalence.

Them
: Well I'm glad they're dead!! They're in a better place - away from you!

Vitus
: Well, obviously - he would have gone to one of the Afterlives, and I'm still here.

Them
: And you're never going to see them again, because I'm damn sure you're going to Hell.

Vitus
shrugs
* Been there. Came back.

After being confronted by the captain that led the assault that ended in the death of Tyria - said captain reveals this fact. The crew launches a boarding raid using an assault bolt. Upon reaching the bridge:

Captain danell: what the (expletive deleted) do you want?

Max: just you.

The captain signals his security, which is rapidly dispatched (incredible rolls, the entire sec team is killed within two phases. The crew was supposed to be captured...lol) max turns to captain danell.

Max: what you have on your hands is a storm of blood, s$@+, and bone.

Milli: they would call this a perfect storm.

Isunne:(blocking the exits with a gravimetric shield) your real problem is that you got caught out in the field with your pants around your ankles, your d&$@ in a cow and no shelter.

Max: *blink, blink* yeah.... Right... *casting a sideways glance at Isunne nervously* I THINK what he means is, your ass is toast

Oh and for what it's worth I finally remembered to grab screenshots of the lovely daughter of Thor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39496[/ATTACH]

2nd pic shows her hair coming through the back of her helm

The continued adventures of 4th edition DnD

Andraste the Pyromaniac, Eladrin Warlock

Theren the Archer, Elven Ranger

Adinymus the Holy, Drow Cleric

James the Pius, Half-Elf Paladin

Erevan the Dancer, Eladrin Swordmage

Nebin the Short, Halfling Rogue

Sepheris the Creepy, Shadow-Elf Thief

After Theren uses 'Twin Strike' to miss and score a critical three times in a row...

Adinymus: I get it, the first one is a ranging shot!

Theren complains...

"My arrows litter the ceiling."

Andraste threatens...

"My father would kill you for that. I am not so merciful."

Why Adinymus left home...

"I'm a male drow cleric of Corrolon. In my home town, that's three death sentences."

A hostile wizard hides in the darkness and uses Magic Missile...

Sepheris: That's a switch. The darkness is casting Magic Missile at us.

Dark Heresy : The Myen-Fio Campaign - En route from the Ork Rokk we just raided, we debrief. The failure of some of the mutant suicide bombers to reach their objectives, despite Polonius' exhortations, is discussed.

Polonius
: I told them to count to three on their fingers, then pull the detonation cords. In retrospect that may have been our error - some of them didn't have that many.

But we were still lucky to get out alive - indeed, the nearly empty corridors and absence of Ork ships raises an alarming possibility, soon confirmed - the Orks have raised a war fleet and are currently attacking the U Tharan craftworld and the outskirts of the Myen-Fio star system. So what to do? Clearly it would be suicidal to try and return to Myen-Fio directly, and lending assistance to the battle at the Eldar ship would be just as dangerous. The Lord-Captain is reluctant to endanger his ship, since that would annoy the Inquisitor he is forced to work for.

Lord-Captain
: I wouldn't want to risk my master's assets.

Polonius
: Master?

Lord-Captain
: Alright, 'Underwriter'.

Polonius
wistfully
* Although it would have been nice to seen the look on that U Tharan ambassador's face if we showed up and saved the day. But I can dream.

GM
: The Orks are just trying to prove has the biggest cojones.

Guildenstern
: That'd be me.

GM
: Your basic Rhino tank can be repaired by a twelve-year-old. Or a Space Wolf.

Happily, there is an alternative to sitting around twiddling our thumbs. The ship's explorator has reason to believe the Eldar once had an outpost on the frozen near-deathworld orbiting Myen-Fio's companion star. Going and having a look is worthwhile, since we were intending on transplanting the Kringlemen population there anyway - the climate is more like home. The Tau have had a small scientific research program running there, but haven't discovered the Eldar ruins as far as we know. There's also some evidence that there is intelligent native life, although what form life might take on a frozen, volcanic world, with some mountains poking out of the atmosphere, and saturated with nitrogen, sulphur compounds, and massive amounts of poisonous alcohols, is a mystery.

Polonius OOC
: Boozehounds.

Guildenstern OOC
: Barflies!

Polonius
: What are we going to call this new world anyway, given its frigid temperature and lifeforms consisting of 20% alcohol?

Guildenstern OOC
: Russia.

Either way, if we're going to go down and see if we can get the Eldar's attention by poking around the ruins, we're going to need a fresh pilot. Our Tau, Clipped-Wings, is unfamiliar with more elaborate human vessels, and still shellshocked from his experiences on the Ork Rokk anyway. Happily, the Lord-Captain has one available.

Polonius
: So, can you tell me why the Lord-Captain considers you ideal for the position,
and
expendable?

Torque
: I couldn't say, Father. I've only crashed three flyers this year. Well, I say crashed, but I got them down in one piece. Well, mostly one piece. Well -

Polonius
: What you're saying is that the vessels came to a stop with an excess of excitement.

Torque
: Yeah, there was certainly plenty of excitement.

Evidence is indeed found of an Eldar settlement, and Webway Portal, frozen into the permafrost of an artificial island in one of the noxious slushy seas. Despite being alert for attack from hypothetical boozehounds and barflies, we're still surprised by some of the locals - mute, apparently hooded figured, roughly bipedal, with long snout-like faces and limbs apparently composed of entwined tentacles, who seem to want to try and talk with us. They can also envelop themselves in flickering alcohol flames at will, and are promptly nicknamed the Flaming Moes. Guildenstern is sent out to communicate - after all, Polonius won't mind much if he gets horribly killed. Interpretive dance, channelling Travolta, Jackson, etc, doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere, but they do seem to admire Guildenstern's shock maul as it blazes with electrical fire brighter than their own flickering glow.

Polonius
: Is anybody else suddenly worried that we sent Guildenstern out to conduct a First Contact situation? Because I suddenly have grave misgivings.

But the Flaming Moes lose interest in us, and shuffle off into the swirling blizzard, leaving us to explore the ruins at will. The explorator confirms the presence of a warp portal, but it's the Shrine of Asyuran that's still in working order, illuminated with silver warpfire.

Guildenstern
: Ha, Elves. Even their gods suck.

Polonius
: Yes, quite, Brother. Care to remind me why it will be
me
conducting negotiations, if they turn up?

Indeed they do turn up, very promptly, and Polonius gasps out our reason for intruding on the ruins before they can gun us down - requesting passage to Myen-Fio, in return for intelligence on the Ork Rokk and its preparations for the next stage of the war. Instantly stunned unconscious, we awake bathed and reclothed aboard the craftworld, an almost unheard-of honour.

Polonius
: Well, at least this will be something to tell our grandchildren, assuming we ever have any.

Guildenstern
: I'm going to be having puppies soon if they don't let us out of here.

Clearly the Eldar are up to something. Although most of the things they're up to are calculated to condescend and belittle and provoke us into behaving like the animals they consider us to be. Guildenstern, of course, behaves as predictably as Pavlov's dog, and even Polonius is finding it difficult to maintain an illusion of good temper.

Polonius
: I find myself swirling in a vortex of black rage mixed with admiration for the artistry of their every insult.

Guildenstern
:
*checking under the robes we woke up in*
They better not have taken my unmentionables.

Polonius
snaps
* We're all entirely over familiar with your unmentionables, Brother, and I for one am very glad that our environment suits came with breathing masks.

We're met by one of the U Tharan Farseers, although their gender is a little difficult to guess.

Polonius OOC
: They're a bishie XD

Polonius
: May I be so bold as to enquire as to your name, honoured host?

Torque OOC
: Mrs Doubtfire

Polonius OOC
: Mrs Doubtfire could in no way, shape or form, be remotely described as bishie.

We're lead on a tour of the craftworld, and attend a banquet in one of the viewing galleries, even as the Ork fleets are blazing away and crashing into the craftworld ( and each other ) overhead, and bodies splat against the crystal domes, the huge starship we're on starts to list at 15 degrees, and armed Eldar start actually hurrying places. Our hosts pretend that everything is going exactly to plan.

Guildenstern
: Hey! I remember this game! We used to play it in the Ministronium - you'd each throw a piece of gherkin against the window, and bet on which one would slide to the ground first.

Torque
: That was a nova cannon blast. You can destroy an entire starship with one shot from that.

Polonius
: Really? Does that actually work?

Torque
: Well, nobody's ever come back to complain.

Polonius OOC
: Our host is beginning to remind me of the

Torque OOC
: Or North Korean television.

Polonius OOC
: Although the U Tharans actually have an economy.

Farseer Starshine
: The time has come for you to travel the way of the web, and bear from us a message to the the king of the Tau Air Caste.

Polonius
:
*grinning ear-to-ear*
Ah. I know what that means - 'Help, oh god help, Oh god we're all going to die, send every ship you can, we're begging here, help help help'

With the U Tharan plan to manipulate the humans, Tau and Orks into a war that would allow them to stroll in and reclaim the Tau world for themselves derailed by the Orks attacking the craftworld first, the Eldar are thus forced to send us to beg for assistance on their behalf. The Eldar civilians on Myen-Fio are mightily surprised, but probably not as much as the Tau were when Polonius and company emerged out of thin air, in a imperial flyer carrying a tank, when Polonius is still supposedly in the intensive care war at the local human hospice. The Tau leaders are going to mightily pissed, but Polonius just can't stop smiling...

GM
: Do you want me to include an Eldar Avatar in the next session?

Me
: No. no. NO. We already have enough terrifying entities in this campaign, in the form of Brother Guildenstern

Rogue Trader : Behind Mykybe's Veil - Wining, Dining, and butting heads with rival Rogue Traders. Lord-Captain van Baroque is not exactly overjoyed that Marzu brought the deadly X-1 unit aboard the Rose Tattoo, even if it is locked up inside multiple Faraday cages, and even Marzu doesn't go inside the cage with it.

Jak Frost
: You're absolutely right, Lord-Captain - this cogitator is probably the most dangerous thing on the ship.

GM
: Apart from Casu Marzu

As well as finding crew, brokers, and parts for the plutonium mine, the Lord-Captain must ensure that it's his lineage and his alone that gets the salvage rights. All this is proving more difficult than usual, since that huge and ostentatious Rogue Trader ship they noticed previously belongs to one Lord-Captain Maximilian dePledge, a Rogue-Trader of such insanely high wealth and influence ( even by Rogue Trader standards ) that his mere presence is skewing the economy. Large numbers of his crew, in actual uniforms and livery in the blue-and-white dePledge colours, and accompanied by armed guards - are touring the space station's many sights. The rumour mill has been putting in plenty of overtime - dePledge is here to expand his interests into the Koronus expanse, dePledge is here to buy an asteroid habitat in the Rubicon belt, dePledge owns three planets in the Scarus sector, dePledge is so scrupulous that he's never been charged with illegal trade, an Inquisitor once apologised to Maximilian dePledge, and much more. Although nobody believes that last one.

None the less, a request to meet the Administratum Master responsible for salvage claims is made, accompanied with a bottle from van Baroque's private cellar.

GM
: As lubrication?

Casu Marzu
: Speaking of lubrication...
*oils his joints
* clickclonk, clickclonk, clickclonk

This functionary turns out to be a vain, self-important art snob, very proud of his collection even though, unbeknownst to him, at least a third of it is counterfeit. Carefully not pointing this out, van Baroque ensures 'efficient navigation through the maze of the bureaucracy' by offering to put his new friend in contact with a renowned sculptor, and perhaps even commission a full-length of such a vital bureaucrat, or bas-relief of him surrounded by his small army of scribes, servo-skulls, and lexmechanics. It'd look good on the outside of the Administratum block, after all.

DePledge, on the other hand, has already earned the good will of the locals, spreading some largesse about Port Wander in the form of several megatonnes of fresh water, a valuable resource in the Rubicon system.

Lord-Captain van Baroque
: Good idea. You can only drink your own urine so many times.

Casu Marzu
: I beg to differ.

They have others tasks ahead of them in Port Wander too, of course - find out what Lord-Captain Bel Ingeneri was up to, fifty years ago, prior to his disappearance.

Jak Frost
: I'll put out some feelers

Casu Marzu
: He's an alien!

Lord-Captain van Baroque
: Don't joke about that, the Inquisition has ears everywhere.

One of Jak's contacts is the Madam for a number of the better cathouses on Port Wander. They're delighted to see him again, especially since he inadvertently gives her so many excuses for double entendre. For example -

Jak
: I'm an upstanding citizen now

Lady DeRessage
smiles
* Yes, my girls remember just how upstanding you used to be.

Jak
: Well, I must be off

Lady DeRessage
smiles
* Do come again soon.

Eventually they hire a team of lexmechanics and scribes to explore the datatombs for anything they might contain regarding Igneneri and this mysterious Mykybe's Veil. At least the librarium on Port Wander is comparatively tiny, and they don't have to go into the Stacks armed, to protect themselves from the AIs that sometimes evolve from the data programs.

Jak OOC
:
*in tones of dread*
We have to go to the 37h floor? Lock and load, people...

Casu Marzu OOC
: That's awesome - I can just picture the kind of people they need

GM OOC
: Conan the Librarian

The team return with a freshly-written 800 page folio edition biography 'Of The Life and Times of Rogue Trader Bel Ingeneri', complete with fold-out maps and Josian silk place-markers, and an almost as comprehensive literature search on the name Mykybe, and all the definitions they were able to uncover. When you can pay for the best, you get the best. The leader of the scribes is almost purring as he shows the Lord-Captain the fully illuminated manuscripts he prepared. If the information is accurate, the most likely Mykybe is one of the traditional goddesses on the heathen world Zayth, where city-machines crawl across the strip-mined surface, at constant war with each other. Ingeneri was last known to be establishing trade with Zayth, and it would certainly explain the source of the crew for the much smaller mining machine at 105 Andrasta, and why he set up the plutonium mine in the first place. But why would he have hired entire clans of salvage workers, and space salvage equipment by the tonne? Nonetheless, they have their clues, and prepare to leave for the extended trip to Zayth.

But before they leave van Baroque and guests are invited to dine aboard dePledge's ship, the Royal Privilege.

van Baroque
: He's probably going to make us an offer he thinks we can't refuse

Casu Marzu OOC
: Don't worry, Sir, my power fist has a middle finger.

Lord-Captain van Baroque, although not exactly pleased, does at least dress for the occasion - Squig-leather longcoat, with shoulder pads made from bronzed Ork skulls, a tricorn hat, a collar higher than the hat, Ork tooth buttons, a sash with every military medal awarded to the van Baroque warrant over the years, a brace of pistols tucked into his belt, a walking stick with a Gretchin's skull as the handle, and cutlass. Actually, compared to many Rogue Traders, this is under-dressed.

GM : That's Imperial fashion for you - lots of skulls.

Jak OOC
: 'Hi! Like my desk? It's made of skulls. And every skull is made from smaller skulls!'

Although, upon arrival on the Royal Privilege, dePledge is bucking the trend. Indeed, the interior of his ship is more a combination of Versailles and the Sistine Chapel, with half the ship's volume wasted in vaulted corridors, with murals and painted ceilings, and discreet plaques identifying each artist that has so magnificently portrayed the many achievements and holdings of the dePledge family. The starship even has a garden, elegantly laid out, and a private balcony overlooking it where they will be eating. All the servants are servitors - lobotomised prisoners who have been cybernetically enhanced, surgically perfected, and dressed in expertly tailored lace and silk uniforms complete with dangling sleeves and flawless hosiery as they move in computer-controlled synchrony around the diners. Cherubs - cloned babies with heads full of circuitry and servo-wings - flit around the table serving drinks, and the entertainment includes a woman who since her conversion has been built into a living harp, her ribcage replaced with metal, extended, and strung to form the frame.

van Baroque, Jak, and Marzu
:
:nonp:

After all this, slightly shocking even to Imperial nobility like van Baroque, it's not entirely surprising to learn that dePledge has heavily altered himself, as well. Resplendent in his exquisite white Josian silk outfit, gleaming with lace, seed pearls, and elaborate wig, dePledge has had all his visible flesh, and probably most of the rest of it, replaced with an intricate assemblage of white-enamelled metal pieces, that slide over each other as he moves, smiles, talks, and so on. A servo-skull hovers nearby, muttering financial news in the private dePledge cant - his own skull, removed and retrofitted once he got something better to house his brain.

He's accompanied by a human in an equally well tailored outfit, although his seems to be mostly close-fitting body armour, in various shades of black, with black skull-mask entirely covering his face, a tuft of black feathers behind his head, and the only visible weapon a pistol holstered blackly across his chest. He never says anything, but merely stands a little behind dePledge glaring at the guests as they dine on the utterly perfect meal, and delicate wines.

dePledge
:
*gesturing at his bodyguard*
And this is my creature, Dragan.

dePledge
: Yes, Leman, I remember when your grandfather was awarded the the Warrant of Trade. I recall saying at the time that he'd bankrupt himself trying to take Merates Null Five, but I've pleased to see that you've risen to overcome the shortcomings of your ancestry.

dePledge
: A little bird tell me that you're planning an exhibition in search of Mykybe's Veil? Now, I'm sure your ship and crew are
entirely
competent, but perhaps you should limit yourself to lower-hanging fruit?

van Baroque
: Tell me, you're angling to become Governor of Koronus once it becomes a Sector, aren't you?

dePledge
: My dear Lord-Captain, of course not! We Rogue Traders move in more rarified circles - better to leave such petty details to the born bureaucrats that are best suited to it.

van Baroque
: Like the Calixis Governor, Lord Hax?

dePledge
:
*facial elements sliding into a smile*
A good friend.

van Baroque
(to GM)
: I don't believe him - is he being sincere?

GM
: How would you tell?

van Baroque
: Oh, right - metal face, synthesised voice...

These apparent attempts to provoke Lord-Captain van Baroque don't work, although dePledge does seem amused by the way he couches all his plans in military terms. It's probably just as well that nobody on van Baroque's side tries anything, since Marzu notices that half the murals around the ceiling are actually holovids, concealing sniper bays. But then, all this sort of thing is entirely normal in the circles Rogue Traders move in, and they'll have to get used to it if they run into dePledge again. And, if van Baroque is right, running into him again is a near-certainty...

So, last night I'm finally running War of Worldcraft for my home tabletop group. After getting stomped into the mud by Download and his minions, and successfully rescuing Jason Watts Long (!@#$$#@ tunnelling...) they enter the MMO world and encounter some of the characters therein.

(Note: Gold Star goes to Streamline, who got Jason Watts Long to give him admin cheats on his MMO character and then got sucked into Download's evil plan anyway)

So Fireheart arrives first, and he's having a little chat with Bleepkicker, and Bleepkicker really wants a name so that he doesn't get a warning on day twenty seven. Then Disturbo drops by to ask the heroes if they'd like to form a team.

Fireheart: You know, I'm not like these other guys. What do you do?

Disturbo: I'm Disturbo.

Bleepkicker: Don't listen to him. I've heard really bad things about him. His powers are disgusting.

Disturbo: It's not that bad, look, I just want to join a team.

Fireheart: So what do you do?

Disturbo: I create Terrifying Illusions that cause damage to people over time. This is how they work.

Me: Nothing happens.

Fireheart: This doesn't feel particularly scary.

Fireheart's Player: Mike, is this an authorized combat zone?

Me: No. So he uses his power on you and there's absolutely no effect whatsoever.

So eventually, Titan rezzes in. (He had a lot of body. It took a long time.) Unfortunately, he's still in the middle of a Haymaker. Fortunately, this still isn't an authorized combat zone.

Cybervulture: What the? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

(Bump...) Haymaker bounces off with no damage because it's an MMO.

Titan: What the?

Golden Fencer rezzes in, and can see, even though she's normally blind. Looking around for a moment, she finds a reflective surface, only to find that her costume is horribly tacky.

Golden Fencer: Oh, my god....I had...no idea...this is horrible...

Meanwhile, Streamline is working with Jason Watts Long to get himself some Admin Mods, and rezzes into the correct starting point as "Ape in a Man Suit."

So the heroes, plus a supervillainess playing the MMO as a character named Champion, go to where he is, where he is lying on the ground, pretending to be unconscious.

Fireheart: Holy crap, that could be a real ape! (KA-FWASSSH) Fireheart blindsides Streamline's avatar with flame.

Streamline (As Ape in a Man Suit): GACK! (THUD)

Golden Fencer: Oh, my god, you just shot Streamline!

Fireheart: You mean that was Streamline? Why did he call himself Ape in a Man Suit?

Streamline (Moaning): I didn't want Download to know it was me.

Cybervulture: Well, we didn't know either!

Champion: Guys! Focus! (Yeah, the SUPERVILLAIN told them to focus.)

[Nightwing and Batgirl are catching up, as Nightwing has recently graduated and Batgirl has just started college]

Nightwing (OOC): Im going to take Barbara to the Iceberg Lounge for dinner. I hear its very swanky.

Catwoman (OOC): Its one of the hottest places in town!

Batgirl (OOC): So to speak. ;)

------------------------------------------------------

Nightwing: So, what are you studying?

Batgirl: Criminology and Library Science.

Nightwing: So, youre basically going for your father's job?

Batgirl: I guess you could say that.... Im going to put him in a really nice home, tho ;)

Nightwing: I can just see him and Bruce terrorizing the nurses

Batgirl: With Selina as the "crazy cat lady" down the hall!

------------------------

[At the Iceberg Lounge]

Batgirl: So, what was your degree in?

Nightwing: Business, minoring in Criminology.

Batgirl: ...We really should start looking to see which are the best homes.....Maybe we can get the Wayne Foundation to pay for it?

----------------------

Nightwing: See you tomorrow?

Batgirl: Same Bat-time! Same Bat-channel!

Nightwing: *Facepalm*

GM: Across town, Batman screams. :P

----------------------

Batgirl (OOC): Is Daddy home? its after midnight.

Catwoman (OOC): ....I....went to a bad place. its not "Like That" in the Gordon husehold, is it?

Everyone: NO!

----------------

GM: How come every time I run this game, the cat jumps into your lap?

Catwoman (OOC): *petting the kitty* Hes my prop! :D

--------------------

Alfred: Ah! Miss Selina How good to see you. Do come in.... *sotto voce* Ill just hide the silverware....and Master Tims copy of "Thundercats the Movie" just to be safe...

---------------------

Nightwing (OOC): I was just going to do some gymnastics in the back yard, to stay in shape.

Catwoman (OOC): Ill head out back, and perch on something until he notices me.

Batgirl (OOC): Just watching D*ck swinging around, out there in the open? ;P

--------------------

Superman: *Heat visions Dr. Ivo's 150' tall robot's missiles AS they come out of the racks, blowing up the missiles and the racks at the same time*

Lois: TELL ME you got that!

Jimmy: I got it...I got it....(it almost got us, but)....can we go now?

Lois: THIS is where the story is! You want to be a reporter, dont you?!?

Jimmy: I want to be a LIVE reporter....I realize I hadnt specified that, and that was my oversight....

-----------------

Lois: Congratulations on that amazing picture, Jimmy! .....And if you win a Pulitzer before I do, Ill kill you!

Clark Kent: Now, Lois...you dragged him into this.... ;)

---------------

Perry White: We need to get Superman's attention! Throw Lois out a window or something!

----------------

----------------

[And in another world]

Troubleshooter: In a case of strong national security, imminent domain can be applied to permit the government to confiscate your panties...

----------------

Monarch (OOC): You poured ORANGE JUICE over your cornflakes?

Troubleshooter (OOC): ...Yeah

Monarch (OOC): *Deadpans to the GM* I say nothing.

-------------

Monarch (OOC): I forgot my biscuit. It wasnt mine yet. But I forgot it. *Takes the last biscuit*

-------------

GM: Make a notice check.

Guardian Alpha (OOC): *Rolls a critical fail* I am Completely Oblivious...of the Clan O'Blivious