Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Our WH40K Rogue Trader game cannot compare with Drhoz's bunch, but it has its moments.

This week, our ship exits warp - and is immediately set upon by a much smaller pirate vessel. Pirate was obviously expecting a fat slow tradeship. What he gets is a not nearly so slow Cruiser - run by Player Characters :eek: . To say there is a disparity in firepower is a gross understatement.

Our Trader (relaxing in his chair, speaking to his crew and indicating the lone Pirate): "Make it glow."

4th edition DnD continues

Andraste the Pyromaniac, Eladrin Warlock

Theren the Archer, Elven Ranger

Sepheris the Creepy, Shadow-Elf Thief

Goguin the Faithful, Dwarven Cleric

Bearn the Mental, Dwarven Battlemind

Alek the Evil, Human Paladin

Back in town, causing trouble

NPC Nobleman: Excuse me, do you...

Alek: Have any grey poupon?

More unusual magic items...

Sepheris: Bag of Holding Caltrops

GM: Walking into the tavern, we have a Minotaur, a giant Gnoll, and...

Andraste: A Rabbi?

GM: The minotaur charges Andraste.

Therin: Bull Rush?

Andraste: I set the minotaur on fire.

Alek: (sniffing) I smell... hamburgers.

Unusual creatures abound!

GM: The traveling minstral show includes a stone giant.

Andraste: Must be a rock band.

This will be Andraste's last session, she accomplished all her goals, and needs to get out of town before all the demons she's pissed off come and kill her and the party. Samm, a human fighter, will be taking her spot next week.

This will be Andraste's last session, she accomplished all her goals, and needs to get out of town before all the demons she's pissed off come and kill her and the party. Samm, a human fighter, will be taking her spot next week.

I find that highly dubious. There's still people who haven't been set on fire.

I find that highly dubious. There's still people who haven't been set on fire.

Since I'm playing Andraste, you have my word it's true. The group has too many strikers, and the GM was threatening to take the game in places that I don't want to go. Rather than watch that happen, I bailed the character. So, lets replace the striker with a defender we deeply need, and screw this behind the screen plotting.

Oh, and for ye olde recorde

Andraste the Pyromaniac, Eladrin Warlock: Me. Ranged striker.

Theren the Archer, Elven Ranger: My 12 year old son. Ranged striker.

Sepheris the Creepy, Shadow-Elf Thief: melee striker.

Goguin the Faithful, Dwarven Cleric: leader.

Bearn the Mental, Dwarven Battlemind: dual classed to warlock. Striker.

Alek the Evil, Human Paladin: Actually a Blackguard. Melee striker.

Samm is a fighter (defender), with big honking sword and a secondary cleric. More melee, and the ability to keep enemies busy.

Since it's looking increasingly unlikely that Ian will get the recording of last session's Cthulhu to me before it's time for the next one, I present a synopsis of events. Spoilers for Jon Hook's The Faculty Party.

With the Professor of Romantic Literature Rosa Moore dead at their feet, apparently the result of a suicidal leap from the top floor balcony, Agents Rondale and Johnson rush to secure the scene, moving the other party-goers ( including as they do Rondale's siblings and McGinty's date ) back, before they check the remains and head upstairs to search for evidence of foul play. They do find two notes on her body - slightly cryptic suicide letters, one addressed to a Peter Simon, who it turns out was her Teaching Assistant, and not a well-liked young man, who the Dean admits only got the position as a condition of a large bequest, and who rumour holds was taking advantage of the Professor. The party splits up, leaving Agent Johnson to guard the body until the police arrive, while Rondale, Hyneman & Schwartz head to the late Professor's office, and the others inquire after the whereabouts of the disreputable T.A.

Up in the third floor office Rondale and the others find a curious mirror, smashed, and a letter to Prof. Moore from Peter Simon, purporting to be a love poem to go with the gift of the mirror, but which to Rondale's practiced eye looks suspiciously like some kind of summoning ritual, especially given the instructions to read it before the mirror and 'reach out to me, even across the bredth of a billion years'.

Downstairs, the others have traced the suspect to the TA's lounge, when he is standing smugly inside a ring of candles and cryptic chalk marks. McGinty and Einstein both attempt to shoot him, so it's probably just as well that he is, in fact, a sorcerer and the bullets just bounce off an invisible bubble surrounding him. Otherwise, imagine the paperwork! Al attempts a flying kick and breaks his ankle on the same barrier, but full points for trying, anyway. McGinty puts a 'fluence on the cultist, but it would appear the barrier stops him getting out as efficiently as it stops the investigators getting in. Cleared shocked and annoyed to find himself facing a rival sorcerer, Simon begins a second spell - a ritual to call up something ghastly.

Upstairs, Rondale and the others are about to find out what Rosa unknowingly drew to herself, as pungent smoke begins to pour from an upper corner of the room. They take this as their cue to proceed in the general direction of Away, and yell down to Johnson to get the civilians - already alarmed by the gunfire in the rear of the building - out as quickly as possible. But the exodus comes to a screeching halt, because the thing that Simon summoned is now oozing in through the double doors - a green-black mass of churning protoplasm, sprouting hundreds of eyes and gaping maws. The exodus becomes a stampede towards the rear exit, trampling Professor Einstein en route, only to find that somebody has chained that door shut.

Rondale opens fire down into the atrium ( how fortunate he took along a pocketful of shells to go with his costume ) but while the creature is certainly distracted, having an enraged on-fire shoggoth slavering up the stairwell after them was probably not the result he was hoping for. Rondale orders a retreat, and he and the two German cinematographers promptly fall back in three different directions - Hyneman back upstairs towards whatever they had been fleeing earlier, Schwartz down one wing of the building ( to where McGinty is using a fireaxe to try and get at Simon from above, and is now for whatever reason hacking away at the radiator ), and Rondale staging a fighting retreat around the balcony.

Back on the ground floor Johnson is very very glad Rondale took the time to teach him the Shrivelling spell, since it's the only thing that seems capable of hurting Simon through the barrier. Al attempts to punch through the floorboards, damaging only his knuckles, and Prof. Einstein, still in her pumpkin suit, forces her way through the crush of screaming academics to shoot out the lock and free everybody's escape.

On the second floor Rondale abandons his attempts to kill the shoggoth and leaps from a window. On the top floor Hyneman runs into the thing Moore unwittingly summoned called up, and decides a similar escape is in order. He, at least, climbs down the ivy.

With the cultist apparently dead inside the barrier, the PCs decide to leave the cranky shoggoth and the other entity to trash the building in peace, and join the crowd of people fleeing across the campus, but Rondale does have enough breath left for some running commentary to his brother.

"You wanted to know what I do these days? Now you do!"

Since I'm playing Andraste, you have my word it's true. The group has too many strikers, and the GM was threatening to take the game in places that I don't want to go. Rather than watch that happen, I bailed the character. So, lets replace the striker with a defender we deeply need, and screw this behind the screen plotting.

I'm sorry, I don't follow what this means, especially the "threatening to take the game in places I don't want to go." Please elaborate?

I'm sorry' date=' I don't follow what this means, especially the "threatening to take the game in places I don't want to go." Please elaborate?[/quote']

Megasigh. Andraste is a infernal pact warlock. In the players handbook, this implies that many centuries ago, tieflings made deals with devils to learn spells that are... questionable... in morality. These spells are now in tomes and can be learned if you know where to look. So, I played Andraste as a woman of questionable morality (and sanity) who knew these spells from study.

So, after playing this character for months the GM insisted that to get her abilities Andraste had sold her soul to a demon and now owed the demon service, which tied in nicely to a plotline that the entire party had decided to avoid (dealing with a war between two factions of demons, some devils, two groups of evil cultists, and two evil nations). Since no one in the party wanted to get involved in choosing the lesser of two (or seven) evils, we decided to head elsewhere... which is when, in a effort to get us back on the rails he had set, the GM mentioned to me (for the first time) that Andraste had sold her soul and owed service to one of the demonic factions, so the party had to stay and...

The entire party (minus Andraste) decided that between getting involved in this mess and throwing Andraste to the wolves, they hoped the wolves choked on her.

This is a decision that as a player I wholly approved of. This is not a backstory I had chosen for my character, it is one assigned to me against my will by the GM. It involved situations that I didn't want to deal with, that the other players didn't want to deal with, and that I (as a father of a twelve year old) didn't want my son to deal with.

After a short negotiation, it was decided that Andraste would return to her homeland with the family sword that was her original quest (one that I had approved of in advance), that I would bring in a new character (Samm the fighter) who would hire the other players for his employer in a different part of the Forgotten Realms for a series of adventures that didn't involve all of the above.

The negotiation was peaceful, and in spite of sounding very dramatic wasn't.

Hm. So, how did the GM take it then? I thought a part of the impetus was because of the number of "strikers," and so I was partly wondering why a certain number of a certain character type might cause the GM to try to push the story in a new direction.

Sounds like the GM shouldn't have approved the character in the first place, if he had to go back and "tell" you where her powers came from in order to make it work with his plot/world.

Sorry.

Yes, too many strikers was part of the issue. But the switch from "you learn evil magic from a book" to "you are granted evil magic by selling your soul and now need to pay it back" bugged the hell out of me. An earlier warning would have been appreciated. If I had known, I might have picked a different class (Wizard comes to mind) or a different warlock pact (Fey pact). The GM is of the opinion that all warlocks have traded thier soul to evil/questionable beings for power and that's not what I got from the players handbook. I think it was simple miscommunication during character set up, followed by the players wanting to ditch the plot line, followed by the GM trying to get us back on the plot line he had planned. But it's a big world, and there's nothing that says we have to stay in Neverwinter and deal with this mess.

Yes' date=' too many strikers was part of the issue. But the switch from "you learn evil magic from a book" to "you are granted evil magic by selling your soul and now need to pay it back" bugged the hell out of me. An earlier warning would have been appreciated. If I had known, I might have picked a different class (Wizard comes to mind) or a different warlock pact (Fey pact). The GM is of the opinion that all warlocks have traded thier soul to evil/questionable beings for power and that's not what I got from the players handbook. I think it was simple miscommunication during character set up, followed by the players wanting to ditch the plot line, followed by the GM trying to get us back on the plot line he had planned. But it's a big world, and there's nothing that says we have to stay in Neverwinter and deal with this mess.[/quote']

As I read the PH, the Ref's ploy was plausible, but prior warning (like during Character Gen) is just basic courtesy.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114469-Kaiju-Santa-Cards-Arrive-In-Time-To-Horrify-For-The-Holidays

The reason for posting in this thread?

"The cards are being sold by Brad McGinty, a Minnesota-based comic artist and animator. According to McGinty, these are all that remain of his grandfather's failed greeting card company that he tried to start after World War II."

Let that sink in, after taking a look at the example card.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114469-Kaiju-Santa-Cards-Arrive-In-Time-To-Horrify-For-The-Holidays

"The cards are being sold by Brad McGinty, a Minnesota-based comic artist and animator. According to McGinty, these are all that remain of his grandfather's failed greeting card company that he tried to start after World War II."

Okay Drhoz. Which of your merry band drew that horror and dreamed up the story about finding it in an "ammo tin" and the bs about a post WWII "failed greeting card company?"

Lucius Alexander

I should try palindromedary greeting cards. Perfect for sending back and forth!

McGINTY IS INFILTRATING OUR REALITY

The latest episode. Earlier instalments have been helpfully collated into a webpage by Olaf van Tol, Benetek's player. Acting-Captain Marzu's player was absent for yesterday's session of Rogue Trader, but that's OK. Marzu had a lot on his mind, not the least of which was Inquisitor Lammergeier's acolytes demanding access to his private lab, and the X-I unit missing from its hiding spot afterwards. Indeed, I ruled he spent most of the next fortnight in increasingly paranoid checks of the Rose Tattoo's cogitators, in case it was trying to take over the ship. The other PCs certainly noticed this odd behaviour, but refrained from comment - only some of them knew the device was on board, and there are at least 6 people on the ship that would kill Marzu for it, and several hundred that would just kill him for having it. And it's not like Marzu can go to the Inquisitor and complain, even if it was them that took it.

Smart man, that Inquisitor - after all, his first move after Marzu and Magos Vilchis unwisely discussed the existence of high-up traitors in the Adeptus Mechanicus right in front of him was to transfer to the Rose Tattoo. Not only did that mean he was no longer surrounded by thousands of AdMech personnel, it also followed from Lammergeier's suspicion that the Logicians would target AdMech ships first.

But although Inquisitor Lammergeier and his acolytes have now disembarked at Lucin's Breath, so that he can return to Footfall and start preparing his own moves against the Logicians ( or not - after all, the Explorers have no idea what Lammergeier's motivations actually are ) there are other problems the Rose Tattoo faces. Such as replacing and retraining crew whilst avoiding the risk of Logician assassins getting on board. And gaining allies and military support for the second attack on C-6751246 Ji Xiu without getting rival Rogue Traders involved - after all, if there is any profit to be made from this war, the PCs want all of it. And then, of course, there was Marzu's transparent attempts to shift Inquisitorial suspicion from the Rose Tattoo to other Rogue Traders, especially Lord-Captain Maximillian dePledge. DePledge might not be annoyed when he finds out, but he may be mildly aggrieved.

But at least they can finally off-load all those missionaries, if they take a few months off for a run to Zayth. Secondly that gives them an opportunity to turn some attention back to the mystery of Mykybe's Veil, and good charts of a shortcut between Lucin's Breath and the Heathen Stars are valuable in themselves, particularly if the route avoids the ill-omened Valcetti's Quadrangle in the middle.

Navigator Benetek
: Alright, everybody, prepare for transition.

GM
: He's got into his speedos and is ready to surf the Warp.

Jak Frost
: Argh, my eyes!

Malakai Tubreau
: Don't worry, it's not as though you can actually see the speeds under all those rolls of fat.

Navigator Benetek
: Actually I'm not going to surf this time, I'm going to hang one elbow out the window and nod to all the Deamonettes as we drive past. We ought to get a... what do you call those things? The roof rolls back?

Jak Frost
: Sunroof?

Navigator Benetek
: Something like that. So we can cruise around in a convertible.

Malakai Tubreau
: You know what I dread? One day we may have to investigate Benetek's own Black Holds.

Navigator Benetek
: If you ever want to smuggle something I've got a few hiding places...

Jak Frost
: AIEEEE!

Malakai is still unused to having a Navigator that's actually competent, and indeed has become quote phobic about Warp Travel.

GM
: But Benetek's first trip with you was made in record time, with no warp encounters at all.

Malakai
: That just means we don't KNOW what went wrong.

Navigator Benetek
: This next calculation is quite difficult - I have to take my own gravitational field into account.

Malakai Tubreau
: His hoverchair must have forklift prongs on it, just to get him to lunch.

GM
: Actually the forklift is to carry his pre-lunch meals. Surely you can't expect him to get all the way from the cupola to the dining room without some sort of preliminary lunch to tide him over and get his digestive juices flowing?

Malakai Tubreau
: Elevenses. Just a small four-course meal...

But once again Benetek proves his worth, shaving 17 days off what even he thought would be a three week trip.

Navigator Benetek
: Time for a snack.

Jak Frost
: 'Send in the first Cuban child!'

GM
: Actually I prefer Mexican for lunch.

GM
: He's going to make you money just on the food supplies you'll be saving. On the other hand, you also have him on board, so maybe not.

Their current location, roughly halfway between Lucin's Breath and their destination, is the planet Solace Encarmine, almost unique in the Koronus Expanse in that it's actually a nice place to be. Indeed, there's a trio of Navy patrol ships in orbit, enjoying some R&R. Jak, however, resolves to press on to Zayth without delay, to the dismay of the other explorers and the crew.

GM
: You could spend a fortnight here and still get to Zayth ahead of schedule! What are you going to use the ship's condom supplies on otherwise?

Astropath Adrik Starsson
: I station myself in the Teleportarium with a heavy weapon.

GM
: And growl at anybody that turns up with a suitcase, Hawaiian shirt, and hopeful expression?

Astropath Adrik Starsson
: If I can't have fun, no-one can. And get rid of that ****ing shirt!

Jak Frost
: Okay, time to get moving. Somebody wake up the Navigator.

GM
: And hose him down. Just don't be within arm's length when you do, he wakes up hungry.

Navigator Benetek
: HWWARRRR *
flails
* OM NOM NOM NOM

The next leg - all the way to Zayth in one hop - is likewise cut to less than a quarter of the expected duration, which doesn't help the levels of disgruntlement among the crew. At least Malakai can put it all down to the Will of the God-Emporer.

Malakai
: Think about it - Lord-Captain van Baroque was going to have you all thrown out the air-lock, and he goes and collapses on the spot. And we wouldn't have met Benetek if Marzu hadn't ordered us back to that system. Clearly, the Emperor has a Plan for us.

Navigator Benetek
: I'm an Angel sent by the Emperor.

GM
: Just imagine the little cherub wings.

Jak Frost
: AIEEEE! Eye bleach! Eye bleach!

GM
: If there's one problem with the Rose Tattoo, it's with whatever idiot put the Observation Dome a kilometre from the bridge. But at least you have that little monorail running down the length of the ship. *
sings
* Monorail.... Monorail... Monorail... Monorail... Marzu's brain's all cracked and broken, Sorry crew, but Jak has spoken -

All
: Monorail, MONORAIL, MONORAAAAAIIIILLLL

Sometime long ago something passed through the Koronus Expanse, killing and half-killing stars. But Zayth is an example of a murdered world, biosphere destroyed by saturation nuclear war centuries ago, oceans dried up, and torn by storm severe enough to overturn even the gigantic land-ships of the remaining Zaythi people - who are still at war with each other. Some of the landships ignore the Rose Tattoo's hail, others warn them off from approaching, but a few, including the Ironclad, welcome their arrival and invite them down to the surface. Jak flies the explorers and some of the missionaries down with panache, although his choice of call-sign causes some comment.

GM
:
Rainbow Dash?!?!?

Malakai Tubreau & Jak Frost
: *
Brohoof

The Ironclad is significantly larger than the Rose Tattoo, and entirely capable of shooting the starship out of orbit should it come to that. So it's probably just as well the landship's Navigator-Captains are pleased to see them, and delighted to accept the missionaries along with a donation of that month's supply of food the Rose Tattoo won't be needing. Indeed, the second-in-command is more than pleased, and she invites Jak to her room for the evening. It could be Jak's charm, or the need to improve the landship's genepool after centuries of inbreeding.

Malakai Tubreau
: The rest of us are just annoyed that he stops us landing on the pleasure-planet, but
HE
is still getting some.

Pillow talk includes some interesting information about the religious beliefs of Zayth - Mykybe was indeed a Zaythi goddess, of Love & Good Fortune, and her main temple used to be on the northern edge of Zayth's only continent. It might even have avoided being nuked into a glowing crater. Of course, Mykybe isn't the only deity from Before the Start of The War, and one of them - the Silver God of War, is still worshipped by the Zaythi even after all the centuries of genocide. Intriguingly, Jak's host claims that that god once descended to Zayth, clothed in human flesh, and nearly lead the Landship Indefatigable to a successful campaign of re-unification, before he was treacherously cut down and the Indefatigable sank back into almost total ignominy. All useful information to pass on to the missionaries before they begin to assimilate Zaythi beliefs into orthodox creed.

Jak
: You know, this is the first time I've been in bed with somebody and we've talked about military tactics.

Dora
: Oh, but knowledge of the great campaigns of the War is vital! It's the duty of the Navigator-Captains to protect our people from the vile scum of the other ships -

Jak
: I didn't say it was a bad thing - it's nice to be with somebody that's that passionate about something.

The next day they fly out to the salt-scalded, fall-out encrusted ruins of the Mykybean temple complex, and are rather startled when the two psykers detect signs of life down in the ruins, in the wreckage of a merely 10-storey tall military support engine. Benetek stays on board the Aquila Lander while the others investigate.

GM
: After all, I don't think they make a Void-suit big enough.

Astropath Adrik
: A void mu-mu.

Mystery Psyker's telepathic whisper
:
Please.... do not be afraid. All who come to worship at the Temple are welcome here. I ask but one thing - show my people kindness. I see your answer, but also that I must ask. Show my people kindness.

There is indeed a psyker on board the abandoned warmachine - and she and her handful of relatives having been eking out an existence here for over 1200 years. Not surprisingly, most of them are appallingly mutated and inbred, and utterly terrified of Jak, Malakai & Adrik, although they seem childlishly delighted when Jak makes a contribution to the collection box one of them tremblingly proffers. The pskyer herself is little more than a skeleton covered in stretched-tight skin, although her hair in a long silver braid, and her eyes and flesh shimmer with moonlight.

Mystery Psyker's telepathic whisper
:
Welcome, you who have come to the temple. I have seen your coming, and welcome you. I see your purpose, and as the Last Priestess of the Goddess, I see it is my Duty to answer your questions...

Malakai: Clearly, the Emperor has a Plan for us.

And with that statement, this went from being a Rogue Trader campaign

to being an episode of Battlestar Gothica...

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

There's a difference?

Lucius Alexander

Tagline of the week from my palindromedary

Lord-Captain Maximilian dePledge; Marquis of Anaradai Prime, Mirabile, and Mirai; Master of the starship Royal Privilege; patron of the arts, and of the 1st Anaradai Mounted Regiment; master diplomat and trader; and spymaster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40799[/ATTACH]

Accompanied by his creature, Dragan.

dePledge is some 230 years old, and has held the dePledge Warrant of Trade for most of that. Over the centuries he has had most of his body aside from his central nervous system replaced with the finest Imperial cybernetics, but that's the kind of thing you can get done when you're a techno-fetishist with more money than God.

Lord-Captain Maximilian dePledge; Marquis of Anaradai Prime, Mirabile, and Mirai; Master of the starship Royal Privilege; patron of the arts, and of the 1st Anaradai Mounted Regiment; master diplomat and trader; and spymaster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40799[/ATTACH]

Accompanied by his creature, Dragan.

dePledge is some 230 years old, and has held the dePledge Warrant of Trade for most of that. Over the centuries he has had most of his body aside from his central nervous system replaced with the finest Imperial cybernetics, but that's the kind of thing you can get done when you're a techno-fetishist with more money than God.

What kind of things do you do if you have more God than money?

Lucius Alexander

I have been told I have more palindromedary than sense