Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Lonewker's Rogue Trader game...

Eurydice - ex-sister of battle

Morgan - the captain

Vesperevaseraphangeline - the pilot

Eurydice: You cannot Tokyo-drift a 13 kilometer long ship!

Morgan: Don't say that, she takes that as a challenge.

Vesper: Yes you can!

GM: Just because Vesper doesn't know what the laws of physics are.....

Sooooo...just how many times now has Vesper's player's tongue snapped off its rollers trying

to pronounce her full name?

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

nah' date=' what sucks is that I forgot about the 2 HP rule in Cthulhu - if you're down to 2 hit points, you pass out. THAT would have made the getaway interesting... ah well, I'll remember next time.[/quote']

True enough; but you did get the reference, right?

Major Tom 2009 :cool:

Well' date=' I guessed you meant Mola Ram, played by Amrish Puri, not Richard Moll, who played the bailiff in Night Court[/quote']

Actually, no, the character I was referring to was the Richard Moll character in the movie

The Sword and the Sorcerer. His character was a resurrected sorcerer whose first demon-

stration of power to the evil warrior who had him brought back to life was to rip the heart

from the body of the witch that had performed the deed -- while he was still sitting in his

blood-filled coffin, and the witch was about ten feet or so from him.

I guess he was trying to outdo Darth Vader in the "long-distance kill" category...

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Actually, no, the character I was referring to was the Richard Moll character in the movie

The Sword and the Sorcerer. His character was a resurrected sorcerer whose first demon-

stration of power to the evil warrior who had him brought back to life was to rip the heart

from the body of the witch that had performed the deed -- while he was still sitting in his

blood-filled coffin, and the witch was about ten feet or so from him.

I guess he was trying to outdo Darth Vader in the "long-distance kill" category...

Haven't seen it

I think the movie could be put in the same category as "Star Crash" and "Ice Pirates" when it comes to cheese.

Speaking of Richard Moll, there was "The Dungeon Master" as well, I believe.

oof. I had to bale on Starcrash at the phrase "analyze it with the computer waves!"

Ice Pirates at least had humor in it, and moderately OK acting.

I think the movie could be put in the same category as "Star Crash" and "Ice Pirates" when it comes to cheese.

Speaking of Richard Moll, there was "The Dungeon Master" as well, I believe.

He was indeed. Saw taht only 3 times.

Oh, so many terrible lines.

"Put down the ray rifle, Thor!"

"Gimme Any Trouble and I'm Gonna Clean Out Your Sinuses Real Good!"

I can safely say that I've never seen that one.

Besides, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (a 3-D movie, IIRC) was bad enough,

with Michael Ironsides as the cheesiest-looking cyborg in sci-fi film history. I actually found my-

self feeling sorry for Peter Strauss (I think that's who was playing the male lead role alongside

Molly Ringwald) for having been roped into such a godawful waste of film.

Major Tom 2009 :idjit:

Besides, Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (a 3-D movie, IIRC) was bad enough,

with Michael Ironsides as the cheesiest-looking cyborg in sci-fi film history. I actually found my-

self feeling sorry for Peter Strauss (I think that's who was playing the male lead role alongside

I remember it well. I saw all of those wonderful, cheesy movies when they came out in the 70s and 80s and I don't think I've seen them again since. Starblast, Starcrash, Dungeon Master, Spacehunter, Ice Pirates, She -- it's a long list of absurdly bad and wonderfully funny films.

I saw that movie in a small theater in Landstuhl, Germany in 1981 or 1982, in three-dee, and got the worst headache I can ever recall suffering from the lousy 3-d effects. Halfway through the movie I had to take of my 3D specs and watch the blurred double-image. I really don't remember much except that I was so not impresssed that I was never curious enough to rent the movie later to see what I missed.

I remember it well. I saw all of those wonderful' date=' cheesy movies when they came out in the 70s and 80s and I don't think I've seen them again since. Starblast, Starcrash, Dungeon Master, Spacehunter, Ice Pirates, She -- it's a long list of absurdly bad and wonderfully funny films.[/quote']

Everything made during the '70s (and a lot of the '80s) was made to "Made for TV" production standards, or so it seemed at the time. I suspect it was partly because times were tough and it was easier for the studios to produce a lot of crap in the hope that something would turn out to be a hit and cover the costs of everything else.

Of course, this was before people leaving the theater could call their friends before they even leave the lobby and tell them to stay away from the schlock you just left. That's part of why Hollywood seems to be making an effort these days. Opening weekend receipts for a bomb with good hype used to be pretty good. Sometimes even if it tanked afterwards that might be enough to cover expenses. Nowadays, the canaries at the midnight showing for a hyped movie will text their friends. That very weekend, the word can spread well enough that if a movie stinks, everyone knows it within 24 hours, unless they just don't pay attention to those things.

I saw that movie in a small theater in Landstuhl, Germany in 1981 or 1982, in three-dee, and got the worst headache I can ever recall suffering from the lousy 3-d effects. Halfway through the movie I had to take of my 3D specs and watch the blurred double-image. I really don't remember much except that I was so not impresssed that I was never curious enough to rent the movie later to see what I missed.

Everything made during the '70s (and a lot of the '80s) was made to "Made for TV" production standards, or so it seemed at the time. I suspect it was partly because times were tough and it was easier for the studios to produce a lot of crap in the hope that something would turn out to be a hit and cover the costs of everything else.

Of course, this was before people leaving the theater could call their friends before they even leave the lobby and tell them to stay away from the schlock you just left. That's part of why Hollywood seems to be making an effort these days. Opening weekend receipts for a bomb with good hype used to be pretty good. Sometimes even if it tanked afterwards that might be enough to cover expenses. Nowadays, the canaries at the midnight showing for a hyped movie will text their friends. That very weekend, the word can spread well enough that if a movie stinks, everyone knows it within 24 hours, unless they just don't pay attention to those things.

Partly it was that the idea you could make a Blockbuster Movie - almost a movie genre unto itself - until Jaws in '75. So half the 70s languished in either Spend ALL The Money or Make A Movie. No one tried to make "blockbuster films" as we know them.

A little setup is in order first: Deathstar, a class A villain (solo villain who takes on the whole hero group) is an immensely strong brick. Tired of getting pummeled and forced to retreat by heroes who have figured out his abilities and worked out strategies to deal with him he disguises himself as Nuke, a class B villain (villain who teams up with other villains to take on the hero group), a brick who is weaker and nowhere near as skilled but who unleashes kinetic explosions whenever he connects.

His disguise consists of nothing more than copying Nuke's costume and he does not do anything to imitate Nuke's explosive abilities, relying on the heroes to make assumptions that something must have changed with Nuke's abilities. He also dresses up some poor schlub in a suit of armor that looks like the agent/villain Transport, a mutant who frequently shows up with Nuke and certain other villains who possesses the powers of teleportation usable on others at range and in an area of effect, provided the targets are wearing special beacons. As his name implies Transport's responsibility is to get the bad guys to the fight and to get them out of there if things go south. He never engages in combat and his first action upon arrival is basically to hold an action to evacuate the villains if needed. While not always successful (sometimes not all the bad guys would be close enough together for him to evacuate everyone) you can probably well imagine how beloved Transport was by the players and their characters, making the poor schlub in the copied armor a prime target for the players.

So as expected rather than going for the 'big guns' at the start of combat the players make a bee-line for the faux-Transport who is placed into a vulnerable position and just beat the tar out of him. This leaves them open for several rounds to Nuke/Deathstar who immediately clocks the martial artist (who presents his biggest problem because while he has difficulty injuring Deathstar he is capable of doing a great deal to shut him down with blocks, throws, and other such maneuvers). Nuke/Deathstar then pummels several other characters unconscious until only he and Shockwave, another brick with explosive powers, are left standing (Nuke, the real one, is in fact an enemy of Shockwave, both of them having received their abilities from the same process).

So at this point the only person left standing is Shockwave who is normally right on par with Nuke. Shockwave is overconfident and pretty much completely fresh, Nuke/Deathstar has taken several shots, and it hasn't sunk in yet that Nuke doesn't seem to be using his explosive abilities, is exhibiting a lot more skill than previous (the martial artist had been relying on a high DCV to protect him when he went after Transport and was surprised when 'Nuke' hit him), and is throwing around a lot more damage than previous so he's thinking he's in pretty good shape to clean 'Nuke's' clock.

Nuke (looking at Shockwave who is the only one standing): I'm going to wad you up into a little ball and throw you away.

Shockwave: Bring it!

GM: Ok. He's going for a grab.

(Dice are rolled and even before the damage is totalled Shockwave suddenly realises that not only is he taking horrible amounts of damage but that he's going to have pretty much no chance at all of breaking free from such a strong character.)

Shockwave: AUUUGH! I'M BEING WADDED!

The sudden transition was enough to have us laughing for the next five minutes and was quoted by us for years afterwards.

To make a long story short (too late) ... Vixen and her team are fighting some Russian supers, all with similar 'enhanced physique' kind of powers, martial arts and blasters. During the fight, one of their members gets Entangled and, while he's stuck now, he can get out of we give him time. Vixen switches forms to Overgrowth (her Plant/Wood powers), and activates Might of the Oak (aka 'Growth') and rears back for a punch.

"In Soviet Russia, wood pulps YOU!" *THUD*

Masks of Nyarlathotep, Episode Five - The Mauretania

The neighbours of course have noticed the commotion, and come over to see if everyone is okay. Thankfully, not until after the creature has left, but nonetheless this IS the third time one of the buildings on Salstonall Street has disturbed the peace and quiet with sundry detonations. At least Abbagale comes up with an almost plausible story about a leaking water tank in the roof finally crashing through rotting timbers, and plummeting into the basement. Although this doesn't explain why the water tank somehow bypassed the upper floor, and then bounced out of the basement and through the front of the house. Eventually Professor Einstein can be persuaded to leave her hiding place under one of the guest beds.

Abbagale Stants
: What was that?!

Prof. Einstein
: I would have thought that was obvious.

Indeed, forty-foot-long black serpentine entities with a single wing are pretty distinctive. Difficult to name, true, but also difficult to confuse with anything else. Frontbottom and Johnson reluctantly abandon the pursuit when it becomes obvious the creature is going to head out to sea, and return to the wreckage of their residence. It's just as well that Mr McGinty is a respected businessman in Arkham, or there might be complaints to the Neighborhood Association about them as tenants. As it is, McGinty is quite annoyed when he finds out.

Paddy McGinty
: I'm going to evict the ONI team. And this is what I'm going to say to them. You can **** off. And when you get there, **** off from there too. Then **** off some more. In fact, keep ****ing off until you get back here. Then **** off again.

Obviously it's OK when he trashes somebody else's property, but not OK when one of his properties gets trashed. Abbagale also does some background checking on Frontbottom, and is alarmed to learn that there was a Lord Frontbottom, and that he's been dead for some years. Brutally murdered, apparently. So who is the lunatic with the knife fixation and taste for goose flambe?

February 1st-5th - Off to London, retracing the footsteps of the Carlyle Expedition and Jackson Elias. Given that the former was probably wiped out by cultists, and the latter hunted down and killed despite a career of infiltrating death cults and writing about them afterwards, unbiased observers would not offer good odds on the party's long-term survival.

Hon. Lord Frontbottom
: Fantastic! I'll be able to visit all my old stomping grounds. Or stabbing grounds, as the case may be.

Agent Johnson seeks some advice from Governor McGinty about the best way to smuggle dynamite and firearms into the UK. Despite being unwilling to connect himself to anything disreputable, now that he’s allegedly respectable, McGinty does offer some dubious advice regarding the Mythos.

Paddy McGinty
: I don't want to destroy the Mythos, I like to experiment on it.

Agent Johnson
: I like to experiment on it with fire.

GM
: And the one who wrote at length on the need to destroy it is the one that ended up dead. And the one that likes to play with it became Governor. Ironic, that.

Paddy McGinty
: Who are you going to listen to, McGinty or a dead person?

GM
: You'd probably get a more intelligent answer from the latter.

But at least they can enjoy a four-day cruise across the Atlantic aboard the Mauretania before they die. A record-holding floating palace, the Cunard liner’s few rivals include the equally luxurious sister ship Lusitania and White Star Line’s Titanic. The Mauretania will with any luck not come to an equally tragic end (although with the investigators on board, anything is possible). Hopefully the glass dome over the First Class Dining Room won’t turn out to be, as Johnson puts it, Cthulhu’s sneeze guard. Abbagale and Aldous meet for the first time.

Hon. Lord Frontbottom
: And this is Aldous, a modern day Hercules

GM
: Oh? Did he go mad and kill his family too?

Aldous Quinn
: Forgive me for asking, Miss Stants, but how did you get yourself involved with this lot?

Abbagale Stants
: Too inquisitive for my own good.

Aldous Quinn
: There's six people in this party, but I only like one of them.

Obviously that'll be the one to pick up and run with when the monsters attack. Abbagale bemoans the fact that her features are undistinguished.

GM
: You could always go to the sabre classes and get a duelling scar.

Aldous already has an interesting assortment of scars, including some that indicate something tried to tear off his scalp.

GM
: Perhaps you were attacked by a drop bear?

Aldous Quinn
: I can do Tuvan Throat-singing.

Byron Timmons
: It makes for great foreplay.

Prof. Deborah Einstein
: I'm mortified, to the very depths of my soul.

Aldous Quinn
: About as deep as a kiddy pool then.

Hon. Lord Frontbottom
: I'll have to remember that one.

At least they don't have McGinty with them - whilst the opportunity to sail across the Atlantic, spit (or worse) on an English port, then go back to the US has a certain appeal to the Irishman, his ongoing phobia about the ocean precludes long sea voyages.

Paddy McGinty
: I don’t have a phobia about the ocean – it has a phobia about me! Every toime I go near it, it attacks me.

Perhaps, but the likelihood that he'll want to try out a spell to summon Rlim-Shaikorth, an iceberg-dwelling deity, is just begging for disaster.

Prof. Deborah Einstein
: He’d only call it up so he chip off some ice for his drink, anyway.

That said, first-class accommodations on the Mauretania are sumptuous indeed, and just the sort of thing to relax investigators en route to an inevitable doom. There’s language classes (Arabic for Abbagale and Timmons), and skeet shooting of the stern is good practice lest that Jabberwock return, and a gymnasium where Frontbottom can terrify the sabre instructor and other passengers with his advice on how best to disembowel somebody in a narrow corridor.

Byron Timmons
: So what’s Arabic for ‘Oh god, the tentacles have got me!’ and ‘kill it, kill it with fire!’?

Translator
: يا الله، مخالب وقد حصل لي! and أنه قتل، وقتله بالنار!

Prof. Deborah Einstein’s player
: Is there any forum on the ship where I can improve my racism?

Agent Johnson’s player
: As in reduce it? Sure - the boxing ring. Aldous, beat it out of him.

Aldous is putting the spondulicks he outlaid on the trip to good use too – sitting in the first class lounge and playing chess against himself on that suspiciously eldritch chessboard he stole from the ruins of the Boucher House last year.

Byron Timmons
: Playing with himself in the corner?

The game attracts some attention, from a heavily dressed gentleman accompanied by three suitably ape-like bodyguards. Aldous, when asked about the origin of the curious set – with its various Great Old Ones as main pieces, and assorted world leaders as pawns – claims he acquired it when settling a deceased estate. That is technically true – the building did slump a bit after he blew it up, which may indeed might count as settling an estate. Krosov asks if Aldous wants to play a game out anyway. The resulting match is a challenging one, and a few bribes to his steward later, Aldous learns that the mystery traveller is one Count Mikhail Andreyevich Krosov. Talking this over at dinner later, with his friends, he further learns that Krosov is a member of the White Army – the Office of Naval Intelligence having a natural interest in anti-communist forces – and can make an educated guess that he was in the States to drum up support for their ultimately doomed fight against the Bolsheviks.

This is confirmed at lunch the next day, when Krosov joins them and is introduced to the other investigators. Although his bodyguards’ ears do grow points when Abbagale is introduced as a reporter. Clearly they’re Russian security werewolves. The Count, however, is a perfect gentlemen, and even invites Abbagale to his cabin that evening for dinner. No doubt to gain favourable press coverage for his cause, but it is a very good meal. No beetroot soup and black bread for him!

On the other hand, there was one suspicious character earlier, during lunch. A priest, or at least somebody in a clerical collar, who was watching the investigator’s table with deep interest from the corner of his eye. Frontbottom circles around and sits himself down at the watcher’s table, but the priest refuses to explain himself and leaves, clearly annoyed by the interruption of his surveillance. Not only that, but none of the First Class stewards recognise him, so his presence in the First Class Dining Saloon takes some explanation...

It's just as well that Mr McGinty is a respected businessman in Arkham' date=' or there might be complaints to the Neighborhood Association about them as tenants.[/quote']

All things considered (especially as regards Mr McGinty), one really must wonder what it would take to be counted as a disreputable Arkham businessperson.