Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Hmm' date=' Vitus detects the stench of intellectual property infringement. But no doubt a few a few compariative applications to suitable test subjects, he'd agree that the similarities between "Testaverde's Testicular Trauma" and "Detonate Scrotum" are co-incidental :)[/quote']

When I read the Dr. Strange spell, my first thought was "Did he get that from Vitus?"

Now there's an alarming thought - Vitus in the Marvelverse....

Vitus vs. Wolverine. 2 anti-hero loners with attitude go into the Iron Dojo. Only 1 leaves.

Vitus vs. Wolverine. 2 anti-hero loners with attitude go into the Iron Dojo. Only 1 leaves.

Well, my first question is whether 'Metal's Doom', a spell he developed that crumbles any metal - including gold - to powder, will work on adamantium.

Rather delayed, I know, but I've been busy. The events in Deathwatch : A Murder of Space Marines continue (the two sessions described here a continuation of Weldun as GM), after the team have dealt with the Orks, Eldar, and Logician hereteks infesting the underhive on Temis Minora. Sadly, our local guide caught a Warp Cannon blast to the face.

Nakhiel
: He might be in a better place.

All
: .....

GM
: Not likely.

Thus team Psi Tau Digamma returns in triumph, confident that the Adeptus Biologis will soon be descending on Temis Minora to investigate, dissect, and eliminate these aberrant Orkoids, and the Inquisition to rout out any remaining Logicians. Even so, the final report will make for interesting reading.

Tawhaki
: File under ‘C’ for Clusterf***.

Gilroy MacIan
: ...and then we were attacked by Eldar with silly string. Of death.

Gilroy MacIan
: ...and after that we realised there were still more Eldar and they were still being dicks.

Gilroy MacIan
: Pick up soulstones. Put in bag. Oh look there warlock going through portal. There big guy, he kill friend - Rargh. Me shake bag at warlock, he make frowny face, me throw on ground. Warlock appear in front of me. Silly silly warlock. Me punch warlock. Warlock think 'me need dodge for flashy axe'. He should have dodged.

Heading back up the hive to give the locals the good news, the marines enjoy a quick meal of corpse-starch and dehydrated ponies, and arrive just in time for the Adeptus Mechanicus admin block to explode.

Tawhaki
: Gunhildr, what did you do? They're not weak, they're AdMech, they have more cybernetics than you.

Happily, the explosion seems designed to spray propaganda leaflets, not shrapnel. They read “Terra First! Not Mars!” - heresy, since Terra and Mars are supposed to be equal.

Gilroy MacIan
: If only I could read! Oh wait, I can!

The AdMech promptly send out servitors to collect all the leaflets before anybody can read them. MacIan helps (after the marines all had a look) by eating the one he collected.

Regulus
: Is there nothing you won’t put in your mouth?

Nakhiel
: Don't ask.

Happily, Temis Minora invests in Universal Literacy, so the pamphlets aren’t a total waste of time.

Gilroy MacIan
: Something I can believe in! Of course, I also believe in universal claymores, but some people are fuzzy on that.

This is all very intriguing, especially when the local AdMech seem more concerned about these Terra First agitators than the fact they have Orks, Eldar, and Logicians in the basement. The team receive orders to investigate, despite the supposed separation of Imperial and Adeptus Mechanicus authority. MacIan is made team leader.

Tawhaki
: All those head injuries activated your Fellowship Gland, have they MacIan?

While we go through the extensive interrogation transcripts of captured agitators – usually rapid confession followed by execution - Team Psi Tau Digamma speculate how much happier the Imperium might be if it offered cupcakes instead of annihilation. That however, leads to the Donutopian Heresy and Forbidden Lore: Cooking.

Tawhaki
: Iron Chef : Deathwatch Edition. This week’s secret ingredient - Tyranid kidneys!

Gilroy MacIan
: They need to make female space marines.

Hippocrates
: They have.

GM
: No they haven’t, it didn’t work.

Hippocrates
: I didn’t say it worked. The moustaches were a dead give-away.

Gilroy MacIan
: What if there are and we just can’t tell?

All
: ....

Gilroy MacIan
: Wait... There are chapters that never take their helmets off...

All
:
*eye Telemachus*

On the Iron Hands chapter, and their miserable demeanour, and propensity for self-mutilation.

Tawhaki
: Body Dismorphic Disorder is a sad thing.

Gilroy MacIan
: It's like an entire society of bulimic people.

Tawhaki
: That would explain why they go around purging things...

Knight Commander Wraith, one of the local feudal authorities, conducted most of the interrogations. It turns out the locals have been arresting, torturing, and executing everybody they can identify as a Terra First activist, and everybody they know, with unseemly speed. Not entirely unexpected, as it’s in his interest to ensure the planet has as little insurrection as possible (although one Inquisitorial report considers Temis’ level of insurrection unhealthily low). But Wraith has hidden files referencing the interrogations, as poking around inside the hive’s data-systems reveals. Wraith is bawling out the Second Company of the Temisian Knights when the marines catch up with him.

Gilroy MacIan
: Let’s not pants him in front of his men.

Nakhiel
: No-one mentioned pantsing him!

Gilroy MacIan
: But now you can’t stop thinking about it, can ye.... Assassin Strike! *
yoink
* A-ha!

Tawhaki
: More Dakking is never enough.

GM
: Dakking is the right of all sentient species.

Tawhaki
: The Lexicanum MacIan – twelve hundred words for ‘muffin’ and not one for ‘Moderation’

Wraith is clearly perturbed by the Deathwatch interest in the Terra First terrorists – and admits he found the timing of the bomb highly suspicious, not least because he had to recall troops from the underhive in response. It eventuates that he, too, has been finding the behaviour of the local AdMech highly peculiar, and suspects the insurrection arose because the AdMech have seizing various loyal families, for dubious reasons. Martine had been scheduled for pick-up – but only because one of his friends had invented a las-rifle better suited for killing Orks. Another family was taken because they’d devised improved clutch-braking for a tank.

And as far as Wraith can determine, not one of these Disappeared were ever actually executed. Perhaps MacIan’s scribe Duncan could be set up as bait. He seems reluctantly agreeable.

Tawhaki
: Five Angels of Death standing around him, asking if he wants to volunteer for a suicide mission, and you expect him to say no?

Nakhiel
: I kind of like the idea of just battering the door down.

Gilroy MacIan
: Fine, we’ll use Duncan as a battering ram.

Hippocrates
: I’ve got a leg.

Wraith is thanked for his time, and he takes his leave – after a curiously specific suggestion that should the team happen to see any of his men near the AdMech facilities, say Knight Captain Pleth, to remind them they have their orders.

Hippocrates
: We’re just going to get one of these new and improved Leman Russes and drive it through the door – hey, the brakes don’t work! *
crash

Gilroy MacIan
: Ironyyyyy!

Tawhaki
: Given this is 40K : The Musical, shall we do Gangnam Style dances down the corridor?

Regulus
: If five marines did burst into a building and do that, it should give us a bonus to Intimidation.

Nakhiel
: I have one question – is Gangnam Style heretical?

GM
: I am now saying it is, just to shut this up

Gilroy MacIan OOC
: The Inquisition show up ‘This is far too silly, get on with it’

From the name, Tawhaki suspects Pleth to be a minor scion of the Rogue Trader dynasty that rediscovered the Temis system.

Tawhaki
: He might be quite young.

Gilroy MacIan
: I swear to god, if he answers the door clutching a stuffed toy...

GM
: Another thing to wind up Space Wolf players – “Who Let The Dogs Out”

Gilroy MacIan OOC
: If I was a Space Wolf player I’d be singing it!

Tawhaki OOC
: Yes, but you’re you.

GM
: Knight Captain Pleth is young. Young, young.

Gilroy MacIan
: Testicles descended young?

GM
: Not quite, but he does rattle a bit in his power armour.

Gilroy MacIan OOC
: Excuse me young man, is your father at home?

Tawhaki OOC
:
*pulls off Pleth’s helmet and peers down into the torso
* Anybody in there?

Pleth and his rather more experienced and inscrutable adjutant Drucher (a Damaris Irregular and veteran of the last Logician War, thanks to time dilation) agree that the presence of Logicians is alarming, given Temis Minora’s stringent customs inspections, and have heard a rumour that the hereteks were searching for a Metal Man – the utterly heretical robots from mankind’s Dark Age of Technology. Drucher has also ‘acquired’ technical reports pertaining to the alleged tech-heresy of the disappeared locals. Naturally, Tawhaki and Nakhiel very much want to study these reports, despite a reluctance to be the first to open any doors, after what happened to the guide Martine. It’s tech-heresy, true, but one well within the tolerances of the Priests of Mars. So what are the local Tech-Priests really up to, apart from abducting any promising locals – who are also Imperial citizens – for an unknown purpose?

Tawhaki’s player
: We should come up with a theme for Duncan. Probably based on “I’d love to have a beer with Duncan”. Of course, I can picture MacIan singing that anyway, but any beer that would get a space marine drunk...

GM
: Duncan already has a song.

Tawhaki’s player
: What, “Buttmonkey Of The Group”?

GM
: It’s a Queen number “I’m Going Slightly Mad”

Gilroy MacIan’s player
: And Gilroy’s is “Don’t Stop Me Now”

As it turns out, the Adeptus Mechanicus themselves also want to know what the [REDACTED] has been going on on Temis Minora, and have sent in their own equivalent of the Inquisition. Happily, the two forces do not come to blows – partially due to the two techmarines being properly respectful of the Tech-priests, partly because the Marines intimidated their way past the underlings.

Tawhaki
: For the benefit of the record, the tech-priest who let us in is now standing to one side with his fingers in his ears.

GM
: While muttering an ancient catechism against hearing things that might disturb you. It goes LALALALALA.

Gilroy MacIan
: Brothers – helmets.

Tawhaki
: Better to lose the glory bonus but keep our heads.

GM
: Dammit, I’ve got Queen on the brain now.

Tawhaki
: Which one?

GM
: “Don’t Lose Your Head”

Tawhaki
: That’s the purpose of the Deathwatch – Investigate, and if necessary, stomp into a greasy spot on the ground.

Gilroy MacIan
: And this is Nakhiel of the...

Nakhiel
: Brass Knuckles.

Gilroy MacIan
: Sonic the Hedgehog Clan

High-Magos
: Sonic Hedgehog? A genetek reference...

Magos Haxil, the local AdMech admin that drew all this ire, is AWOL. The High-Magos investigating is happy to let the team deal with the renegade, for political reasons, as long as they take him alive, and shares the information that the missing families are sent to a particular Agri-dome Haxil commandeered.

Gilroy MacIan:
Load for bear.

Tawhaki
: What’s a bear, brother?

Gilroy MacIan
: Very, very, very, very nasty..

Tawhaki
: Also extinct.

Gilroy MacIan
: Ok, also extinct.

Tawhaki
: Now, octo-bears, they’re dangerous.

Tawhaki
: Come Brothers, we must Gangnam Style into battle

Gilroy MacIan
: *
sings
* Heeeeeeeeeeey, foul xenos!

Tawhaki
: Op-op-op-op-op Deathwatch Gilroy Style

Tawhaki’s player
: Even if we ran a campaign at the Dog Star we couldn’t have a serious game.

Gilroy MacIan’s playe
r: Black Crusade would be worse... it’d be Black Comedy.

Tawhaki’s playe
r: If we did run a Black Crusade game, by the end of six months we’d have taken over the Imperium and installed clowns as Governors on every planet.

Gilroy MacIan’s player
: That might be an improvement.

Nakhiel’s player
: Never underestimate the power of a Dark Clown.

On the Fenrisian Rabbit, a creature of unnatural speed, ferocity, and innocent appearance.

Gilroy MacIan’s player
: And it’s also a minion Gilroy can hide in his helmet. BEHOLD!

The Arch-Magos knows he is heading to the manufactora, but doesn’t know why – but it may have something to do with the big bottle of Pygmalium he was carrying – a key ingredient in utterly heretical A.I. Very surprising, given that Haxil was a known conservative, and found the level of innovation on Temis Minora disturbing. Happily, most of the marines can get down to the Manufactora levels in a hurry – by jumping down the Hive’s lift shafts. Regulus, MacIan, and Nakhiel have jump packs and grav chutes. Tawhaki just gets the lift.

Tawhaki
: Is he still Haxil?

Nakhiel
: Has he been compromised?

Gilroy MacIan
: Is he wearing underwear?

GM
: Find out next week, same Bat-time... no wait

Tawhaki
: They’ll no doubt be very brown underwear when we catch up with him.

Gilroy MacIan
: Now let’s see who he REALLY is! ‘Ah! My face!’

GM
: It’s Old Man Smithers! ‘And I would I have got away with it if it wasn’t for you meddling marines!’

Tawhaki
: Now we really do need a Space Wolf in the party...

GM: Ruh-roh.

Tawhaki
: And whenever something frightens the party the Space Wolf leaps into Gilroy’s arms...

Tawhaki
: You realise I’m going to have to repaint the Thunderhawk green and purple now?

Regulus
: How long ago did we jump down this lift shaft?

Happily, despite the minutes spent chatting during freefall, leaping down the lift shaft cut so much time off the pursuit that the marines reach the Manufactora levels before Magos Haxil has finished doing whatever he’s doing to a Land Raider tank – fitting it with an A.I. so it could go on a rampage to cover his escape.

Gilroy MacIan
: Regulus! I chose you! Use Impale Attack!

Regulus
: Regulus! Regulus!

Despite protests that he was just there to check for heretical technology, Haxil surrenders pathetically when surrounded by four large and cheerfully confident posthuman thugs.

Tawhaki
: You can literally see the little mental gears working.

Nakhiel
: What has he got, a magic eight-ball in there?

Gilroy MacIan
: ‘Outlook not good’

Haxil pleads that all his actions are because the Temisian locals are sure to fall into tech-heresy if he didn’t brutally suppress them – and plant evidence to convict them. Perhaps the AdMech will agree, and merely reformat parts of his brain. The situation may have ended very differently, had we fought the Arch-Magos and his Myrmidon bodyguards.

Tawhaki
: But that didn’t happen because we’ve got two techmarines in the party. And it may well have taken much longer to get down to the factory levels – but that didn’t happen because we’ve got two maniacs in the party.

And although none of the team are psychic enough to prove it, it seems likely the late Eldar warlock had been exacerbating Haxil’s cognitive malfunction, for his own inscrutable purposes.

Tawhaki
: And we managed to succeed on the mission without shooting anybody. That always makes the Deathwatch look good. As does dancing Deathwatch Gilroy Style down the corridors.

From the sadly defunct Pokemon game that my ex-Cthulhu players went off to play.

One PC introduces another: This is Kyle. He punches Pokemon.

Have you had to abandon Masks or is that just the players who decided not to come back?

In our Rogue Trader game' date=' we renamed one of our ships [i']The Vorpal Bunny [/i]because of its unnatural speed, ferocity, and innocent appearance. That little cruiser has taken down ships 3x its size! :bounce:

*nods* The start of the next Deathwatch setting has the Inquisition reviewing footage of similar events from the Rogue Trader game. The tactical analysts can only conclude that the captains of both ships were insane - the Trader were taking his tiny ship in that close, and the cruiser for still managing to lose.

There's one in every group

So, I'm starting a D&D 4 Eberron campaign, and I had a sit down with my players to get their thoughts on character backgrounds, where they want to go with the campaign, and what they see as their epic quests. Everyone had really good ideas. Based on the discussion with my players, the story patterns I can exploit encompass self-discovery, revenge, and the journey ... and then there's that one player. When asked about his character, he replied,

"I'm playing a Dwarven Bard named Gaybum Fistmonger. His epic quest is to seek out two bardic, epic relics: the rusty trombone, and the skin flute."

We all had a laugh, but he maintains that he is serious. Remarkably, none of the other players have a problem with this, and honestly, neither do I. It just means I'll have to stat up a couple bardic, epic relics.

from the aforementioned RIFTS game:

"something's wrong with those juicers, they're like EXTRA twitchy"

Times are tough after the Tollkeen War. You see a vagrant holding a sign that says Will NPC for Food

My character is a speedy dude, with High Dex and obscene ground movement rate.

The enemy Juicer tossed a grenade into our town's general store as an act of anarchy.

When it did not immediately explode, I told the GM I was going in there, to see if I could

toss the grenade where it would do no harm. I made all the dice rolls, so I was the hero, right?

Well the GM made about 3 extra dice rolls. When asked why, he said

GM: "As far as you know, no bystanders were hiding from the fight where you threw the grenade"

Me: "and for that, we thank you."

From the Thursday night Savage Worlds: Kerberos Club game I played in. The characters were:

- Monarchy, the “Second Most Dangerous Man in the Empire,” a spy and assassin working for the Queen

- Matrix, a fallen angel

- Bolt, a mechanical man

- Archer, the greatest archer the world had ever seen

- Fortress, a man of living stone

- Teatrix, a dark fae

After being attacked by gorillas in steam-tech powered armor:

Monarchy: Gorillas don’t normally come equipped as such, in my experience.

Matrix, who couldn’t make a single perception roll all night, when someone asked him what had just happened

Matrix: I don’t really know… I was just buying some bananas.

A world-famous professor of archaeology was uncovering the lost Tomb of Anubis. We explained to him that we thought his dig was in danger due to the gorilla attack.

Archaeologist: They’ve been helping me with my project.

Monarchy: Who? The gorillas???

Archaeologist: No, my grad students.

Archer: Basically the same thing.

On opening the tomb and removing its treasures:

Monarchy: It’s not looting. It’s archaeology.

On opening a tomb said to hold the body of the dead God of Death…

Monarchy: I can’t think of anything that could possibly go wrong with this plan.

Matrix, who has failed yet another perception roll, is attacked from behind by a gorilla.

Matrix: These bananas pack quite a whollop!

Later:

GM: Matrix, you’re up. What are you doing?

Matrix: I’m drinking some tea.

Attacked by a dog-man:

Teatrix: I shall hit his nose with a rolled-up newspaper.

Bolt the Mechanical Man opens up his power source, bathing the area in radiation.

Bolt: I only want to hit the animal-man with the radiation.

Archer: You can aim your radiation?

Bolt: You can’t? Humans are so limited.

A mis-aimed attack has cracked the seal to the tomb.

Fortress: I sniff the crack.

Fortress decides to open the tomb all the way.

Archer: Wait… why are we doing this again?

Monarchy: It’s archaeology, man! Archaeology!

The evil god Anubis awakens and snarls at us.

Teatrix: Ug. Morning breath, dude.

Teatrix, being a dark fae, is sort of iffy on the whole good-bad thing.

Archer: Tell me again why we brought the evil guy?

Someone opens up a second sarcophagus…

Bolt: We need Monarchy here to tell us “Nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan.”

Archer: Also, “It’s archaeology!”

Trying to talk to the recently awakened evil god:

Teatrix: Maybe he’s not evil. Maybe he’s just cranky.

Monarchy: Quick! Someone get this god his morning coffee!

Attacked by the living dead:

Archer: Zombies! They’re like androids made of flesh.

Bolt: Ah! Kindred spirits!

Bolt gets a little too close to Monarchy with his radiation field

Bolt: You’ll be the Second Most Impotent Man in the Empire!

The evil god is about to smash Teatrix

Monarchy: It shouldn’t hurt for long.

Archer: Just lie back and think of the Empire.

Fortress is possessed by the power of evil.

Monarchy: Fortress! Don’t turn evil! We love you!

A last-ditch effort:

Matrix: (sarcastic) I’m sure this plan is going to work.

Bolt: Yes! Optimism!

"Yes' date=' I agree to play RIFTS." [/font']That is the quote of the week in my game group.

There are two gaming stores in my town. I game at the bigger one, but I am also friendly with the

owner of the one close to my house, we used to game together.

He asked what I was into lately, cause he watches what I buy.

So I told him I was in a RIFTS game, with different people.

He just stared at me, knowing my preferences and history.

So I told him why. I'm just going along for a few months, then I will do

my best to channel them into Champions.

Do they know this is why you're there?

No.

So you're poaching ?

Yeah.

That's like an issue of Knights of the Dinner Table.

Yep, I'm recruiting from the Black Hands.

Much laughter.

No real quotes from last session, though we did have some interesting suggestions for naming our new ship.

the S.S. NoI'mNotNamingItThat

the S.S. sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss (they only had an 's' stencil) (bonus points if you know the reference)

the Not So Swift Justice (the ship was... appropriated from a bounty hunter group called Swift Justice)

the Moderately Slow Vengeance

the S.S. ForTheLoveOfGodI'mNotCallingItThat

the It's Coming Right for Us!

the Oh God!

the I Hate You All

They eventually settled on the Morgan. Little disappointing, but hey, it works for me!

Played in a 'space marine' type game where the assault shuttles were all named after the last recorded words of previous crews. So we had shuttles named...

AS What the hell was that?

AS Why are you taking cover?

AS They won't shoot.

AS I've lost a wing!

AS Turn off the stealth field.

AS Aw crap

AS Where did all these dang Arachnids come from?

RIFTS

Our juicer is also a titan, so we had to get a bigger vehicle,

that we lovingly nicknamed the deuce-n-three-quarters

The super-mage was driving, and casting electrical attacks from the drivers seat:

Cyborg: now the whole truck smells like ozone.

Juicer: oh, I thought the cyborg had gas.

the Tech Wizard is ambushed by a pack of Psi-Stalkers, who creepily describe him as delicious.

other player: on the astral plane, your aura looks like a pack of smarties.[/url=http://www.candy.com/assets/images/venimg/cede%20candy/smarties.jpg]

Later in the combat, the Tech Wizard has completely run out of action points,

and is being dragged off the battlefield.

The GM suggested that, if it lives, he should rename his character Flaily McFailson.

My character is the roguish type, and has been stealing, looting, and palming items since our first adventure.

Our group is traveling to the next town, looking for our contact. Later on we come across a barricade across the road,

and our way is blocked by some gentlemen in armor. My character is in the back bed of the truck, resting.

The cyborg is negotiating with the men. I heard the GM say "There's a thief using this road" so, feeling paranoid,

I draw my matching pistols, and signal the juicer (also in back) that the shyte is about to hit the fan.

This being a post-apocalyptic wasteland, that there was a fight was no surprise, really.

But later the GM wondered why it had escalated so stinking quickly, he was genuinely curious.

It turns out he had actually said "There's a fee for using this road" and a simple bribe would have gotten us by.

From Genghis Con (Two Weeks Ago):

Darren's Golden Age Game: Black Mask blinds an eight story tall warewolf with his gas gun. Dr. Twilight then presence drains (fear) it down to 1 pre. and says into it ear, "You are blind, perhaps forever. You belong to the darkness now. Cease this violence and tell me what you are doing here, and perhaps I shall return you to the light" and then rolled about three bajillion on his Pre attack.

"Dr. Twilight is kind of a dick" -Dash

They guy who played Dash was awesome. Especially when he was picking up on the Mink. "See, yer Sleepin' Beauty, an... Ah saved yer life..."

Ross' Shadow Angelus Game:

"Scissors, we do not refer to the citizens that we are trying to save as 'Meat Sacks!'"

"This is gonna show up in my annual eval, isn't it."

One of the players was separated from the demon that plagued his every moment via ancient family curse. It was now free to terrorize the world and he was... upset.

"Dude you're going to have to learn to let go." -OddHat

"We'll get you a new demon! A better one!"

Teh Bunneh was in that game as Scissors techno bauble droid (follower) Gadget. It worked out well considering that Gadget couldn't talk and neither could Teh Bunneh (lost his voice by the end of the con.) He had some of the best moments through pure pantomime and signage. Like sticking his tongue out when Scissors leapt from a car four stories up 'knowing' he would catch her (not knowing that he was demonically hacked.) "Gadget!! Gaaaaddgggeeeeeeeeetttttt!!!!!"

Oddhat's Teen Titans Game: The players (forgot who) figure out that the only way to defeat Hate (npc badass) is to literally kill her with kindness. So he turns into the biggest, fluffiest dog imaginable with Disney sized eyes and says, "Rhy ron't you rove me??" Oh, I laughed sooooo hard.

The Savage Mommy's Deadland Game: Two hours into a con game, "Okay so here's your mission..."

Sarge has imaginary friends (Frankie). Dez: "So... Frankie says that you were supposed to pay me that 20 bucks he owes me"

Sarge: "What does he owe you 20 bucks for? "

Dez: "Oh you know, that thing... with the stuff and the, umm, I gotta go... "

Dez fell out of the van... again.