Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Guest daeudi_454

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Old one's from the Dragon's Claw (a decade ago? Gawd, I'm getting old)

We were playing CoC during a windstorm, the lights went out. Roger, avatar of sound FX, saw an opportunity...

The instant the lights came on he was leaning over the table and over the player opposite him (who has a PRE of roughly 4, lol) and screamed: "Kali !" :eg: We thought Howard would wet himself.

A player who shall remain unnamed was playing an electrically based character- they were about to journey to another star system in an unknown ship and someone started asking if we should pack supplies (food/water) since it would take about 2 weeks.

The player was already standing and said " Don't worry about me I got it covered." and touched the bare bulb in the ceiling socket...which apparently was very loose and caused the light to dim and made a good buzzing sound. All the players gave him a really funny look. :eek:

Not particularly funny, but very fond memories...

We were playing CoC during a windstorm, the lights went out. Roger, avatar of sound FX, saw an opportunity...

The instant the lights came on he was leaning over the table and over the player opposite him (who has a PRE of roughly 4, lol) and screamed: "Kali !" :eg: We thought Howard would wet himself.

A player who shall remain unnamed was playing an electrically based character- they were about to journey to another star system in an unknown ship and someone started asking if we should pack supplies (food/water) since it would take about 2 weeks.

The player was already standing and said " Don't worry about me I got it covered." and touched the bare bulb in the ceiling socket...which apparently was very loose and caused the light to dim and made a good buzzing sound. All the players gave him a really funny look. :eek:

Not particularly funny, but very fond memories...

I disagree about the not funny part. :)

Serendipitious external effects are always a great way to freak out your players. In a Cyberpunk 2020 game I was in once, the host's smoke alarm's battery was low, so it'd make a warning beep every 15 minutes or so. So, we get the game going, and of course, this happens ...

GM: "You slide the dead security guy's ID card through the electronic lock ..."

***Beep!**

GM: " ... and the door swishes open."

And all the players were looking around in that 'am I on Candid Camera' kind of way. :)

I disagree about the not funny part. :)

Serendipitious external effects are always a great way to freak out your players. In a Cyberpunk 2020 game I was in once, the host's smoke alarm's battery was low, so it'd make a warning beep every 15 minutes or so. So, we get the game going, and of course, this happens ...

GM: "You slide the dead security guy's ID card through the electronic lock ..."

***Beep!**

GM: " ... and the door swishes open."

And all the players were looking around in that 'am I on Candid Camera' kind of way. :)

My Haunted Stereo might just top that.

GM (me): Okay, Phase 12.

Stereo: MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

Everyone Else: *stare at stereo*

Reminds me of the time we were getting ready for a game, we'd just gotten through a series of rather harrowing sessions and the characters were looking forward to some down time .. so the players requested a mellow session (no combat) the GM agrees. The stereo in the background is playing something metal/techno-ish at a moderate level...

"Ok, we're in for a quiet session.." Holding the remote to turn off the stereo it goes completely berserk. Doubles in volume starts to beep and switches to hard industrial music amid the GMs paniced screams of "AAHH!! STOP IT STOP IT!!" as he mashes the giant universal remote.

This I believe was the same sessions where the GM describes the following scene:

"They're standing in a circle, with their eyes closed, staring at each other."

A stellar night for the GM, lemme tell ya. The mood was comedy by the end.

Did someone manage to say that in one try with a strait face and not read it off a flashcard? If yes... you game with a lawyer don't you?

Yes, as a matter of fact, they did...and yes, I do game with a lawyer -- two, in fact -- but neither of them was in this particular game. The group for that game includes (real life professions here): a chemist, a computer programmer, a geologist, an engineer, and a classical history expert. None of us have any trouble at all coming up with things like that. :)

[second try, first one my entire window mysteriously disappeared. :mad: ]

Not really a quote, per se, but years ago in a Werewolf game:

The PCs were all in hybrid form, arms on each other's shoulders in a circle around a camp fire singing "Blue Moon." I have no idea how the game went there, as it was a night I missed, but it was all the players talked about the next session (and included it in sessions to come).

In a "Dark Alliance" game (I don't know if that's an official White Wolf title, but for us, it was when the players were allowed to be werewolves, vampires, mages, mummies, etc.), one of the players (who thought he was the "know all" of spirits as he was playing a Ragabash [sp?] or some American Indian type werecoyote [maybe werefox]) went into the Umbra and spotted a very large white lion. Thinking it was a spirit, he commanded it to "go away" (which was he default command to spirits). When it didn't budge, but merely stared at him, the player responded with something akin to:

"Very well, I will allow you to remain in our land."

Now, this was the Lion totem for our werewolf pack. When he explained the strange spirit he "tamed," we all laughed. We then made a parody of "In the Jungle/The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (whatever that song is officially called). It began something like:

In the Umbra, the secret Umbra,

The Lion guards our site.

If you command the Lion to "go"

He'll kill you out of spite.

Since the GM or "Storyteller" was big on keeping private things secret, the player (and thus, his character) never figured out that it was a totem spirit.

My Haunted Stereo might just top that.

GM (me): Okay, Phase 12.

Stereo: MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

Everyone Else: *stare at stereo*

Some time back, I was GMing a years-long-realtime Amber campaign. We always used background music for our games, and one disc we almost always had in the player in those days was the soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans. There's one particular track on there (don't remember which one now) that has a very ominous, loud, "dramatic" part...and it had an unnerving tendency to play just as I (the GM) got through delivering some dramatic announcement, or a disturbing bit of news from a major NPC. This happened lots of times, not just once. ;) It got to be something of a joke: "Well, it couldn't have been that important...the CD player didn't do its 'dramatic bit'!"

Not strictly gaming related, but...

I seem to have an affinity with and for fire; enough so that most people who've got to know me over the years notice it without me telling anyone directly about it. They tend to capitalize on it when they can, too: "Scott, I can't get this ******* fire to light -- get over here and get this started so we can have a fire in the fireplace tonight!" and things like that.

One this particular occassion, I was the current GM and we were gaming at the house of a friend a couple of miles outside the city limits. As was usually the case on days with nice weather, at least one meal of the day-long game session was cooked on the grill out on the patio behind the kitchen. That day I was sitting out on the patio, talking over character development and background stuff with the player whose house it was...and he had been trying for many minutes to get the charcoal to light, but it was stubbornly refusing, and he was getting hot, sweaty, and very frustrated. Finally he put down the lighter on the patio rail, turned to me in annoyance and said: "Look...can't you do something about this? Use your influence or something!"

I said "What do you expect me to do, just wave my hand," -- and I did, in the general direction of the grill -- "and cause the fire to..."

WHOOOOSH!!!

A yard-high pillar of fire erupted from the charcoal, very nearly catching my friend in it, and then immediately settled down with the briquettes beginning to turn white at the edges as they burned. My friend, who had reflexively jumped back when the fire roared up, gave me the most venemous look you can imagine and said "Next time, wait until I'm out of the way!!"

I was sitting there mouth open, not finishing my sentence, because though I have a 'way' with fire, it had never responded so...vigorously...before! :)

Guest daeudi_454

Been there Anomaly...

Was walking down the street with Howard from above post to harrasss Doomsdave at work. We reached the corner opposite the convenience store he worked at and were waiting for the light to change. I said: "Gee, I wish Dave would get off work now, instead of midnight."

As I finished the sentence we heard a loud bang and the lights in that building went OUT.

Howard stared at me in awe while I was able to keep enough composure to shine my knuckles on my shirt. 5 minutes later, Dave was leaving with us because the transformer was completely shot.

And neither of them will stand next to me in a lightning storm.

Serendipitious external effects are always a great way to freak out your players....

CoC is made for that. Both my current group of players (Before I joined them) and my previous group of players (when I was a member) report experincing Earthquakes during games that involved Doles.

Been there Anomaly...

Was walking down the street with Howard from above post to harrasss Doomsdave at work. We reached the corner opposite the convenience store he worked at and were waiting for the light to change. I said: "Gee, I wish Dave would get off work now, instead of midnight."

As I finished the sentence we heard a loud bang and the lights in that building went OUT.

Howard stared at me in awe while I was able to keep enough composure to shine my knuckles on my shirt. 5 minutes later, Dave was leaving with us because the transformer was completely shot.

And neither of them will stand next to me in a lightning storm.

:lol: Nice one, daeudi_454! You had more presence of mind after the fact than I did; you were able to capitalize on the event! :thumbup:

GM describing a new supervillian:

"She is dressed in a purple outfit, and she is OBVIOUSLY wearing a tiara that is helping her to FOCUS her powers..."

That is funny. It summons memory of an old DM of mine. Whenever we would cast detect magic on a sword he would tell us what plus it was by the use of very. For example a +3 sword would be very, very, very magical.

That is funny. It summons memory of an old DM of mine. Whenever we would cast detect magic on a sword he would tell us what plus it was by the use of very. For example a +3 sword would be very' date=' very, very magical.[/quote']

I would say that this post is very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very worthy of Rep, but apparently I've given you some somewhere else lately.

GM describing a new supervillian:

"She is dressed in a purple outfit, and she is OBVIOUSLY wearing a tiara that is helping her to FOCUS her powers..."

If he was really talented, he'd have managed to work in a mention of whether or not it was Accessible.

The characters in question: Graydon, a disguised Drow Ranger (slaver *bleah*), Aerian (an elven scout), and Thunder (a sorcerer/pugilist).

Aerian (to Graydon): "You kind of remind me of my mother."

Graydon: "I hope I don't look like her."

Aerian: "No, she was much prettier."

Thunder: "Your (boobs) are bigger, though."

And later, there was uproarious applause as I launched into the DM's big badguy (well, lieutenant, but supposedly the scariest guy who was there), and successfully took him out in one punch. At which point, he exploded (guess his boss didn't want him taken prisoner) ...

Me: "I'm going to stand there with that 'Daffy Duck Just Got Shot In The Face' look for a minute."

I would say that this post is very' date=' very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very worthy of Rep, but apparently I've given you some somewhere else lately.[/quote']

Hey, it is the thought that matters. Thanks, Cap.

The PCs have discovered the lost African city of Opar, and in the course of the adventure have managed to befriend a giant King Kong- like ape which has been named Barak by the natives.

After defeating the evil Jane Clayton, who had returned to Opar for her own nefarious purposes, the PCs are swimming and relaxing in the river and waterfall just outside the city. Barak sits on the riverbank, periodically darting out his mighty hand to scoop up a crocodile out of the water. He pops the 6 foot crocs into his mouth like a frat-boy swallowing goldfish.

GM : "And as the sun sets on the fabled lost city of Opar, the conquering heros obliviously chum the water for their new friend, Barak."

These two are from family get-togethers where we've been playing Yahtzee, but still...

Scene: In the kitchen; Present: Mom, Dad, Wife, Brother #2, puppy dog, and Me.

Wife: (laughing) He's peeing on the floor!

Mom: Oh, no! Who?

Me: I hope you don't think it's Dad.

Next, the same people, not the puppy, and my grandmother (who's 83 or 84). After her third turn of the game, she asks "What's Yahtzee?"

This next one was ten family members playing the home version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, with my great aunt (90+) watching.

Brother, reading the question and then the answers: "What was Humphrey Bogart's nickname? Was it A) Humpty; B) Boogie--"

Great Aunt "That's pronounced 'Bogey'."

Brother: (snickering) "Actually, 'Bogey' was 'C'."

Playing games with your elders can be very fun. In fact, this makes me think of other games we played with my great aunt, one had several questions that began "Name 5 toppings that you would put on" and then list some food. My great aunt would always answer "bourbon" for one of them. Including ice cream.

Playing games with your elders can be very fun. In fact' date=' this makes me think of other games we played with my great aunt, one had several questions that began "Name 5 toppings that you would put on" and then list some food. My great aunt would always answer "bourbon" for one of them. Including ice cream.[/quote']

Bourbon is an Ice Cream topping. I know several people who will use it.

Goes best on vanilla.

... Bourbon is one of the few things I'll actually drink.

Goes best on vanilla.

Which is strangely what my great aunt said. ;) For the ice cream, it was more in the way she described it (along with other items it could top), which went something like "Yes, bourbon. You know when you go to the fair and they have the booth in the back corner, selling ice cream, they'll have small bottles of bourbon you can top it with."

It may be funnier when you know that my great aunt always carried a whiskey flask with her that had, of course, bourbon in it. Apparently, it goes well in tea and soda. But being a teetotaler, I wouldn't know.

The characters in question: Graydon, a disguised Drow Ranger (slaver *bleah*), Aerian (an elven scout), and Thunder (a sorcerer/pugilist).

Aerian (to Graydon): "You kind of remind me of my mother."

Graydon: "I hope I don't look like her."

Aerian: "No, she was much prettier."

Thunder: "Your (boobs) are bigger, though."

I just like that concept, "sorcerer/pugilist."

In today's Pulp HERO game, the characters had to walk through a rather seedy neighborhood in Shanghai and were accosted by some of the hookers on the street. Cain (Aaron) tells Lee Chen (Gary) that "after a seeing a few million pairs of breasts, they kinda lose their appeal."

Chen goes "Really?"

Cain goes, "No."

JG

From a male player running a female NPC:

"[sigh] Do I have to bat my eyelashes at him? Don't make me bat my eyelashes at him. Fine, I bat my eyelashes at him."

Followed by rolling a 5 on a seduction roll!

bigdamnhero

“I stole the candles from the chapel. Jesus won't begrudge them and the chaplain works for me.â€

Goes best on vanilla.

... Bourbon is one of the few things I'll actually drink.

Hm. I've had creme de minthe on ice cream often, even when I was a kid, but I hadn't heard of bourbon used that way.

I don't think I have any bourbon in the house now (I'm almost strictly an Irish drinker when it comes to distilled spirits, though we all hoisted a tot of rum last Trafalgar Day); otherwise I'd try it.

Hm. I've had creme de minthe on ice cream often, even when I was a kid, but I hadn't heard of bourbon used that way.

I don't think I have any bourbon in the house now (I'm almost strictly an Irish drinker when it comes to distilled spirits, though we all hoisted a tot of rum last Trafalgar Day); otherwise I'd try it.

I know someone who ordered a Guinness float.